• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about the Pokemon TCG and other merchandise?

I think it's fair to say if you are or were a Pokemon fan, you bought the cards, you bought the magazines, you bought the toys, and all that jazz.

The card game was my biggest addiction in the 90's, I somehow magically stopped when EX Ruby and Sapphire came out (maybe it was due to Wizards having departed yet I didn't know until years later LOL). Still will NEVER forget getting a fucking HOLOGRAPHIC CHARIZARD in my first batch of Base Set booster packs. Oh course I was an idiot and traded it for the Weedle line and Gyarados. :p

CharizardBaseSet4.jpg

I'll always remember getting a batch of packs in my Christmas stockings each Christmas morning, usually got like 3-5. Neo Genesis was another extremely memorable set.

And who can forget Pokemon Beckett Collector?! That was my source of news for ages, always buying them at Chapters or Indigo and even in World's Biggest Bookstore (RIP) in Toronto. I remember seeing some of the first GS Pokemon as cards in that one issue (like Steelix, Kingdra, Togetic), was blown out of my mind!

51tU3mgH3FL.jpg

This had the first look at GS Pokemon PERIOD! Yes, gaze upon the horror!

And I remember the toys, I got the original sets with Pikachu and Raichu and Sandshrew and Sandslash with those Masterballs. Never knew that these were by Tomy and Hasbro brought them over to NA, now Tomy's back worldwide after all these years!

Anime and movies deserve mention of course, I saw all of the first four in theaters. I wanted to see Pokemon Heroes, but it never aired in Canada, only the US. :/ The movies are pretty crappy nowadays. 3rd one is by far my fav. Who can forget getting the cards with each viewing?

AND, Pokemon still has a nice presence in amusement parks like the CNE where you can win stuffed toys of Pikachu and even recent starter Pokemon like Oshawott from small to almost as big as you, jeez! Puts a smile on my face. :)

So what about you guys? What are your experiences with Pokemon outside the games?

Tan

I used to have these pokemon toys that were like little cases that would open up and would have a scene inside and a bunch of really small pokemon figures. I can't for the life of me remember what they were called but I could only find them in one store in my city and they were the best.

edit:

THIS
I think they connected with other pieces.

Zalman

Massive Pokémon fan here since Gen 1. I was a big fan of collecting the cards back in the day. I don't buy them anymore though since I have a complete set of the entire first generation (from Base Set to Gym Challenge) which is more than enough for me. Very happy about my current collection and I will most likely keep the cards forever despite how much they're worth now. It's a sentimental thing.

Anime-wise, I don't watch that anymore either, but I'm always interested in seeing what's going on every now and then. Like, which Pokémon Ash and the other main characters end up catching. I still enjoy the show from time to time.

Matteoj8

I remember reading about the Japanese versions of the first expansion for the TCG over and over months before it was released.

The Pokemon TCG game at Pax seemed pretty fun, it's out now, and coming to iOS soonish

Massive Pokémon fan here since Gen 1. I was a big fan of collecting the cards back in the day. I don't buy them anymore though since I have a complete set of the entire first generation (from Base Set to Gym Challenge) which is more than enough for me. Very happy about my current collection and I will most likely keep the cards forever despite how much they're worth now. It's a sentimental thing.

Anime-wise, I don't watch that anymore either, but I'm always interested in seeing what's going on every now and then. Like, which Pokémon Ash and the other main characters end up catching. I still enjoy the show from time to time.

Holy shit, EVERY CARD from Base Set to Gym Challenge?! o_O Did you buy single cards from people or just get crazy lucky in booster packs?

Also, this is very obscure, but anyone remember Q-Boy cards? They were Base Set only, they came in cardboard packs labeled ABC, DEF, and GHI. Each of the three had a set cards, so two packs of ABC would have the same cards.

They were fake cards, they were ever slightly smaller and had the"fake card" feel and shine. One came with a "holo" Raichu where the card's background was green with stars! LOL

Anyone remember these? Been DYING to find pics. I have Raichu still but not on me sadly, I can scan it if ever given a chance.

Neo Child

Banned
those pokemon battle ffigures just nostalgia'd me hard

also there was pokemon held in gum or something and i always tried to chew the pokemon out.

also pokemon lollipops which me and my sister spent our weekly allowance on :/

pokemon tcg is awesome, playing the pokemon tcg online makes me want to get buying again (dont have any XY cards, collected up till black/white)

Traded this Blastoise
2.jpg

to borrow Super Smash Bros. 64 for a week, was probably not the best idea. :/
Also got this from Burger King.
4654998.jpg

and lost it.
I never got to see the movies in theaters, but my cousins did and they would give me some of the promo cards. :)

Dishwalla

Banned
I never had a Charizard card, only ever had a Dark Charizard. Had multiple Blastoise and Venasaur cards though, as well as many others like Alakazam. Sometime around 2002 or so I gave all my cards to a neighborhood kid who was really into Pokemon, I figured I was too old for them. Some years later, probably around 2007-2008, I came across two of the blue cases at a garage sale that included at least one of every of the original 151 Pokemon cards, for something like 50 bucks. I sat there for a good 20 minutes debating on whether to buy them or not, but I ultimately decided I had no use for them and walked away. I don't necessarily regret that decision, but I do look back and kind of wish I had bought them just for shits and giggles, even though they'd probably just be sitting in some box in my closet right now.

Zalman

Holy shit, EVERY CARD from Base Set to Gym Challenge?! o_O Did you buy single cards from people or just get crazy lucky in booster packs?
I just bought and traded as much as I could back in the day. There was a period of time when the Pokémon hype died down a little and my cards were all over the place. A few years ago I decided to organize everything, and I realized I almost had all the cards from the first generation sets. I decided to sell everything other than those and set myself a goal to buy the remaining cards online. Now I have everything I would ever need and I'm very happy about it. :)

Isotope

medium.jpg

I remember getting the MewTwo plate as a kid and was convinced it was worth millions since it was gold plated. Pokemon merchandise in the 90s were absolutely crazy and everywhere you went. I had so many cards, but I lost them; we're talking a ton of holographic cards from the first few sets, and I eve had some Japanese foil cards (Looking baclk though, I have no idea how i acquired those Japanese cards. :V)

Luna Sy

Neo Member
I buy plushies sometimes.

xVuJL0W.jpg

This one rock back and forth if you play music next to it. It's fun watching it dance around to Rules of Nature.

I bought all gen 3 starters in a 99 cents store.
I also have one of those gen 1 starters (Bulbasaur) that transforms into a Pokeball.

i play the game , watch the movies & anime English sub off course buy plus-hies

FYI - The pokemon anime is nearly 850 episode old and 17 movies love watching them

Takao

Banned
I used to have these pokemon toys that were like little cases that would open up and would have a scene inside and a bunch of really small pokemon figures. I can't for the life of me remember what they were called but I could only find them in one store in my city and they were the best.

edit:

THIS

that looks like a polly pocket/mighty max not aimed exclusively at girls/boys
cool, i guess

Mr-Joker

Banned
The last Pokémon merchandise I brought were the Charmander and Bulbasaur line. I plan to get a D-Art Venusaur.

You collected the stickers.

maxresdefault.jpg

I remember that sticker book, for some reason they thought that Farfetch'd evolved into Doduo despite the fact they look nothing alike.

Did anyone else besides me have the Master Trainer board game.
I don't have it anymore but here is an image of the board itself.

Oh damn, the memories. I was always careful with the pieces, but I still lost my Tauros somehow. Always bugged me not having the whole set.

neeksleep

I still have this and played it last xmas with my little cousins! Awesome little game that sort of breaks once you get to the elite 4 (I believe the rules say you only need to beat one E4 member to win)

Still, those ash figures are pretty detailed. I remember hoping that there would be a johto version that you could just put side by side as some sort of expansion to the board game.

Well this one is probably a short book since there are only 73 Kalos Pokémon, despite claiming 450 Pokémon.

It's still be incomplete due to obviously not featuring the hacker-found Pokemon and Mega evos:

Diancie (depends), Hoopa, Volcanion, and Mega Latios/Latias.

Tan

Yup. It was a lot of fun. Never really cared about board games but this one stuck around for whatever reason.
Because pokemon

Dominator

I remember my holo Charizard... I'll never forget it. I also remember when my cousin stole it and I found it years later in his room.

MicH

Like every other kid back then I collected the cards. I have that elusive Charizard too! Opening a pack and seeing a holographic rare was amazing. My sister opened two packs and got two holo Articunos in a row. It was AMAZING!

I stopped when Gold and Silver came out. Only bought a couple of odcks from that series, but I did get a Lugia. Yay!

Zubz

Banned

Oh man, so many of these things bring me back, but Master Trainer's probably the one that's doing it best. My copy got damaged beyond playability after a water heater leak, and I can't find it for anywhere less than $100 online, but it was a blast back in the day, and I'd be interested in playing it again sometime.

Gotta love the designs of earlier cards as well:

It's just a Sugimori piece, but dat background is very memorable with the colors and holo effect.

One of my all time fav pieces:

PidgeotJungle8.jpg

Holy shit, talk about making a Pokemon look legendary when it's not! Just a beast of a design.

Wow. Nuff said.

Have that actually back in my previous home still, got it in a trade!

xSL4INx

I still collect and play the cards regularly, not collecting so much since I only collect cards that I like their artwork or are my favorite Pokemon, but here's a picture of just a few of the Gyarados (hands down favorite) cards that I have.

h0s5OHRl.jpg

I currently live in Texas and travel to a large part of the U.S. to play in tournaments to play the TCG competitively.

I also enjoy collecting plushies, I usually pick up ones that I like frequently, and they are displayed in various places around my game room and a few select places in my house. I usually have one that I take with me to card tournaments and is my table mascot during rounds. Here is picture of just a few that are my favorites.

MxxRDZgl.jpg

I miss the days of Sugimori making card-specific art, look at this:

LtSurgePikachuGymHeroes81.jpg

What a boss.

Nowadays they just lazily slap on game art he does, I'm not even sure he does that himself. :/ Not even alternate versions as like first gen usually had two variations, like so:

PikachuWizardsPromo4.jpg
PikachuJungle60.jpg

Some of those Pokemon cards have some really nice art, I need to collect more of them. Also wouldn't mind a few figures and plushies as well.

My friends and I were really into the TCG when we were younger. There was a mall nearby that hosted a TCG club where everyone could go and battle, trade, or just hang out. I won many battles in my time. And yes, I had a few of those magazines; Pojo and Beckett were big. I still have that "handbook" or whatever of the original 151 plus Togepi that's posted further up the page.

As far as cards go, I have two binders full of the things. And 8 completely working decks. I stopped after the last Neo set (Revelations? Destiny? I don't remember), but I have base set holo Charizard, Shining Gyarados (got by accident I think), promo Mew and Mewtwo, surfing and flying Pikachu, lily pad Mew, countless Wizards promo cards like Cool Porygon and stuff, I really have quite a collection. And every once in a while my friends and I get together, pull out my decks, and battle each other all night. These decks were competitive back in the day, so it's always a massive slugfest (Rain Dance Blastoise, Downpour Feraligatr, Erika's Dratini and Alakazam, Pokemon Center Venusaur with Meganium thrown in, Rocket's Zapdos w/ Scyther and Electabuzz...). We still have a lot of fun with it. Someday I should throw a Pokemon TCG GAF party and invite everyone over, though I'd take the fingers of anyone who got food or drink on a holo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

edit:

THIS
Oh my god I am having the biggest nostalgia trip right now fffffuuuuuuuuu

dc89

I loved collecting the cards back in the day. I still have some floating around.

I distinctly remember my dad buying me and my bro a pack of the original TCG cards from the newsagent. We were sat in the back of the car waiting. We got one pack each. We tore into them, rifled through them to see what we got. There it was, in my hand, it was destiny that I got that packet and he didn't. Shiny muthafuckin' Charizard.

my very first tcg pack was base set 1 with charizard on the wrapper

and I pulled a charizard

so I thought every pack with charizard on it had a charizard inside

so I traded my charizard to a friend for some other stuff

then I opened another charizard pack

but there was no charizard

and then i was sad

Emarv

The nostalgia bomb you just dropped on me almost broke my brain. I used to own this and play it but I hadn't thought of that in like 10 years. Wow.

Forkball

I still have my hundreds of Pokemon TCG in a binder at my mother's house. I hope to god she didn't throw them away, I haven't checked in years.

But I was obsessed with everything Pokemon when it first came out. I got my hands on anything I could. There was this Pokemon PC game where you could use art assets to create pictures and I bought that just because.

Project_Studio_Red_Blue_EN_boxart.jpg

Please tell me someone else on GAF had this.

I also had countless other plushies, toys, magazines etc. I was a huge fan of Pojo, and little did I know that IT'S STILL AROUND. You may laugh at the trapped in the 90s design, but check the forum and you'll see that it's extremely active and their Yu Gi Oh section alone has 21 million posts.

As for modern merchandise, I collect some Nanoblocks. They are basically like Legos but extremely small. There are some official Pokemon sets as well. I have all of them except Eevee.

Nanoblock+Pokemon+Kawada.JPG

newpoke.jpg

If you go to the Nintendo World Store, Pokemon Center, or hell just any toy store in Asia, you can find a ton of Pokemon merch you had no idea existed. There is certainly at least a plastic figure for EACH Pokemon. I'm sure some insane person has them all.

But I was obsessed with everything Pokemon when it first came out. I got my hands on anything I could. There was this Pokemon PC game where you could use art assets to create pictures and I bought that just because.

Project_Studio_Red_Blue_EN_boxart.jpg

Please tell me someone else on GAF had this.

I diiiiid!!! I kinda loved it! I used to print out so many pictures from it!

Top Bottom