• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can You Build a GAMING PC with PS5 Specs?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The PS5 and Xbox Series X are launching later this year - but can you build a NEXT GEN Gaming PC today, with off the shelf parts, and get a PS5 / XSX gaming experience? And if it's possible.. how much would it cost?

Dontero

Banned
You can but it will cost a lot more than console atm. What makes consoles enticing is price to performance ratio and you can't just beat vertical integration from to to bottom when compared to separate parts same parts that must cost a lot more. It will get much cheaper when ampere/RDNA2 will be released later this year.

By next year console will be already outpaced completely by PC which is normal and each year that divide will grow.

Last edited:

Zelent

You can easily build a PC that rivals/surpasses the next-gen consoles.
Of course, you will probably pay close to double the amount of a console. But a PC is capable of doing more than just gaming.

At this point, consoles are essentially a "budget-friendly" version of a PC.
This recent video from Digital Foundry puts into perspective how underwhelming the next gen consoles will be... I miss the days of huge generational leaps. SNES to N64. N64 to Gamecube. PS2 to PS3.

adamosmaki

we dont know ps5 specs so that is stupid. Yes it has an 8core cpu but what speed what cache size . Yes it has a 10tflop GPU using RDNA 2 but no one knows how well rdna 2 performs . Is it gonna be faster than an RTx 2070 or about equal?
Let alone it doesnt make sense building a pc now to match next gen consoles on the cheap. You might as well wait for fall when AMD/NVidia will release their new GPUs and AMD their 4000 series CPUs . You will probably be able to get a midrange 250-300 with equal or better performance than ps4.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I just upgraded to the x570-e Gaming mobo with 32 gigs of DDR4 RAM and a 3700x (to tide me over until Zen 3) and that alone was around 700 bucks. The latency and GB/s of my RAM is crushed by the PS5, I imagine. That's not even talking SSDs and GPU
GDDR5 is worse than DDR4, it's designed to do different things and it's not really great options for something which runs multiple tasks, etc.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

need to wait rdna2 midrange gpu..we need the ray tracing capabilites

only tricky part probably the ssd...being faster doesnt enough..but if we just talk about tflops....should be feasible.

the interesting comparison is the cost vs actual console when launch later

teezzy

Banned
Can you? Yeah quite easily.

It's expensive though.

My PC wipes the floor with the PS5 and even XSX specs. 9900k at 5.1ghz across 8/16 cores. 32gb ram. 2tb nvme ssd. Rtx 2080 ti. Plays games at 1440p 144hz or 4k 60hz. Some games 4k 144hz.

tenor.gif

hunthunt

Banned
The question is, when Pc gamers will be able to build a PC like the PS5 for $500 including a premium gamepad and a operative system ready to play next gen games.

The question is, when Pc gamers will be able to build a PC like the PS5 for $500 including a premium gamepad and a operative system ready to play next gen games.
If you want a no bullshit system, you aren't worried about costs. If you want the best things in life, you aren't necessarily looking at a strict budget. I may pay a little more, but I'm getting much more for my money. My PC isn't just delegated to gaming, and I'll take full advantage of everything a console can't do. From gaming, to general tasks, to b.s. to anything above and between.

hunthunt

Banned
If you want a no bullshit system, you aren't worried about costs. If you want the best things in life, you aren't necessarily looking at a strict budget. I may pay a little more, but I'm getting much more for my money. My PC isn't just delegated to gaming, and I'll take full advantage of everything a console can't do. From gaming, to general tasks, to b.s. to anything above and between.

thats great, good for you

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Can you? Yeah quite easily.

It's expensive though.

My PC wipes the floor with the PS5 and even XSX specs. 9900k at 5.1ghz across 8/16 cores. 32gb ram. 2tb nvme ssd. Rtx 2080 ti. Plays games at 1440p 144hz or 4k 60hz. Some games 4k 144hz.

Now tell them the sticker price of that versus a console. Ouch! We need a teraflop counter. Cost per flops?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
People who always keep their rigs up to date with top of the line parts don't give a shit how much it costs.

The best cost per flop ratio (or whatever else you want to measure it by) is found in the mid-range.
I agree. I have never been in a situation where money hasn't been an object. Here is hoping that I can get wealthy where money doesn't matter. it is a struggle for me and most othe people.

People who always keep their rigs up to date with top of the line parts don't give a shit how much it costs.

The best cost per flop ratio (or whatever else you want to measure it by) is found in the mid-range.
I literally found better jobs to meet my PC builds and car audio builds (which cost multitudes more than PC builds) to be able to afford them. Each one of my subs could provide me with 3 ps5's or 3 xbsx's, EACH. But I'm ok with that, cause it's worth it to ME. Fuck what everyone else has to say.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

I have always thought these "can I build a PC with console-like specs for a console-like price" things are asking the wrong question. If you want a console-like hardware for a console-like price, just buy a damn console. That's what they are there for, and they're good at what they do. The whole point of the PC is that you can go way beyond console and keep going beyond it over the entire generation.

Gamernyc78

Banned
My friend spend over $2000 on his PC rig and it's not even as powerful as thr Xbox One X, let alone the Series X.

The percentage of ppl with gaming pc's, 4k and hdr is very low and if thy do thy are expensive. Consoles give you more bang for your buck in the hardware sense. You go on these sites and ppl make it seem like everyone has rigs with titans and cross fire lol 😂 😂 😂

Last edited:
The percentage of ppl with gaming pc's, 4k and hdr is very low and if thy do thy are exoensive. Consoles give you more bang for your buck in the hardware sense. You go on these sites and ppl make it seem like everyone has rigs with titans and criss fire lol 😂 😂 😂
This is very true.

Console gaming brings value for your investment more than any PC rig out there when it comes to providing a gaming experience, especially when considering the exclusives that comes with the console ecosystem.

With that being said, PC gaming is crucial for.the gaming industry because it pushes the technology and drives it to the next level, which helps console gaming become better with each subsequent generation.

This is very true.

Console gaming brings value for your investment more than any PC rig out there when it comes to providing a gaming experience, especially when considering the exclusives that comes with the console ecosystem.

With that being said, PC gaming is crucial for.the gaming industry because it pushes the technology and drives it to the next level, which helps console gaming become better with each subsequent generation.
I'll agree with better specs than a comparable PC price wise. But if you are trying to get better performance than next gen consoles before next gen even starts, without a comparable build, yeah you'll be spending more than a next gen console. But if you want better than 30fps as a baseline, you'll be willing to spend more than the cost of a next gen console.

I doubt anyone expects a bicycle to go faster than a motorcycle.

magnumpy

next generation consoles are absolutely necessary! even if they're out paced by pcs. the minimum spec has to be raised, like the nintendo switch or the cheap chinese chinsy toy pretend video games. it's time to get hold of yourself, straighten up, and play actual recent video games not ancient detritus from the 90s. the sooner we can move past this horror of retro video games the better for the up coming generation, the children and unborn whose future we all hold in our hands <3

next generation consoles are absolutely necessary! even if they're out paced by pcs. the minimum spec has to be raised, like the nintendo switch or the cheap chinese chinsy toy pretend video games. it's time to get hold of yourself, straighten up, and play actual recent video games not ancient detritus from the 90s. the sooner we can move past this horror of retro video games the better for the up coming generation, the children and unborn whose future we all hold in our hands <3
DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi , GET ITT!!!

Gamernyc78

Banned
This is very true.

PC ppl can however recoup tht money thy spent on hardware bcus of those insane software drops in prices, those deals and not paying for online. So it is a give and take.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The percentage of ppl with gaming pc's, 4k and hdr is very low and if thy do thy are expensive. Consoles give you more bang for your buck in the hardware sense. You go on these sites and ppl make it seem like everyone has rigs with titans and cross fire lol 😂 😂 😂
The percentage is low, but it's still overall a lot of people. This upcoming console generation with XSX and PS5 is a little different than last gen since these new consoles have way better specs out of the gate vs the average PC gamer specs today, compared to the launch PS4 and X1 specs vs the average PC gamer specs in 2013.

ppl don't make it seem like everyone has titans. The areas on the internet where people actually give a shit about this kind of stuff will naturally have more enthusiasts who naturally will probably have better gear than the average joe. They're also doing a lot of theorycrafting. The nature of the discussion as well as who is partaking in that discussion drastically shapes the perception of that discussion.

Anyway.

Some numbers for thought. According to that Reddit post about the DF video:

3% of Steam users have a GPU that is better than next gen. I dunno what the current total number of overall users are, but last year, there were 1 billion.

3% of 1 billion is 30 million current Steam users who currently have better than next gen hardware. Keep in mind that this number is also not representative of the entire PC userbase, but we only have so much to work with.

7% have an 8 core CPU, which is 70 million users.

So,

Steam users with better GPU than next gen: 30 million
Steam users with 8-core CPU: 70 million
First year-ish sales of PS4: 18.5 million
First year-ish sales of X1: 10 million
Total sales of PS4: 108.9 million
Total sales of X1: 46.9 million (estimated)

It'll be interesting to see how the numbers play out this fall and over the next year. There are some factors that are still the same as they were in 2013, but some are different. Personally I like how consoles this upcoming gen are pushing the envelope way more than in 2013.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
The percentage is low, but it's still overall a lot of people. This upcoming console generation with XSX and PS5 is a little different than last gen since these new consoles have way better specs out of the gate vs the average PC gamer specs today, compared to the launch PS4 and X1 specs vs the average PC gamer specs in 2013.

ppl don't make it seem like everyone has titans. The areas on the internet where people actually give a shit about this kind of stuff will naturally have more enthusiasts who naturally will probably have better gear than the average joe. They're also doing a lot of theorycrafting. The nature of the discussion as well as who is partaking in that discussion drastically shapes the perception of that discussion.

Anyway.

Some numbers for thought. According to that Reddit post about the DF video:

3% of Steam users have a GPU that is better than next gen. I dunno what the current total number of overall users are, but last year, there were 1 billion.

3% of 1 billion is 3 million current Steam users who currently have better than next gen hardware. Keep in mind that this number is also not representative of the entire PC userbase, but we only have so much to work with.

7% have an 8 core CPU, which is 7 million users.

So,

Steam users with better GPU than next gen: 3 million
Steam users with 8-core CPU: 7 million
First year-ish sales of PS4: 18.5 million
First year-ish sales of X1: 10 million
Total sales of PS4: 108.9 million
Total sales of X1: 46.9 million (estimated)

It'll be interesting to see how the numbers play out this fall and over the next year. There are some factors that are still the same as they were in 2013, but some are different. Personally I like how consoles this upcoming gen are pushing the envelope way more than in 2013.

Great point if there are tht many steam users.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The PS5 and Xbox Series X are launching later this year - but can you build a NEXT GEN Gaming PC today, with off the shelf parts, and get a PS5 / XSX gaming experience? And if it's possible.. how much would it cost?

Anyway, with regard to the topic at hand.

Yes, and no.

You can totally build a PC today that would theoretically play games as well as a PS5 of XSX would. However, the wild card is the SSD implementation that Microsoft and Sony are working on in their respective consoles. Technically, it's true that while you can install storage solutions in a PC that are "faster" than what MS and Sony will have in their consoles, it doesn't really matter because 1. they don't really work the same way, and 2. the games that would utilize fast, custom SSD storage solutions don't even exist now, so why bother even thinking about it.

Personally, while I am impressed by the SSD stuff in both consoles and like how they're both pushing the envelope, I still need to see actual real life gameplay before I consider it a true gamechanger. It's got potential, that's for sure, but I need receipts. Also, once that critical mass of product releases and user adoption on PC is high enough to warrant those PC ports, these hypothetical future games that require an ungodly fast SSD as minimum spec should be relatively easy for PC gamers to play too. Even if there's any next gen game that is truly 100% unplayable on PCs, a concept which I find rather unlikely, it won't take long for solutions (both hardware and software) to be made that will enable that functionality eventually.

sol_bad

When will people learn that buying a new PC at or just before the release of a new generation of consoles is not going to cut it?

Whatever hardware is out now, it makes current gen games run amazingly well because the games are designed around the PS4 and XBX. That is the target hardware that developers are pushing, then the PC versions are the same with higher resolutions and prettier effects. When games start coming out that are strictly designed for the PS5 and Series X, the current PC hardware will not be up to snuff and games will run worse.

This is why it's always best to wait a while until after new consoles come out before upgrading or buying a new PC.

Kenpachii

Easily.

4600 6 core ryzen
32gb ram
any shit tier ssd 50-70 bucks
2 buck os
shit tier motherboard 50-70 bucks.
3050 or 2050 whatever there budget series is called ( 4k is murdering those gpu's, pc sits at 1080p )
done.

u will be able to get that for about 500 bucks most likely when those boxes launch.

Honestly those consoles are nothing but budget boxes and that's what u get at the end, it just does it in 4k and that's about it.

With most common PC's currently already having 1060 gtx and 16gb of memory + 25% already sit at 6 core cpu's, honestly PC is more then ever ready for next gen.

Welcome to reality.

Last edited:
Not for the same price and performance.

I don't mean to talk down on anyone who knows their stuff about their technology, PC and everything, but the kind of optimization going on with consoles and the kind of teams of people that work together to make that architecture a tangible reality, they make all the difference.

It's definitely easy to criticize the specs, the marketing and whatever else when they're finally out and just a statistic but I'm sure everyone here would be surprised by just how many people simply do not have the financial freedom to afford buying/building a small spaceship for themselves.

rnlval

we dont know ps5 specs so that is stupid. Yes it has an 8core cpu but what speed what cache size . Yes it has a 10tflop GPU using RDNA 2 but no one knows how well rdna 2 performs . Is it gonna be faster than an RTx 2070 or about equal?
Let alone it doesnt make sense building a pc now to match next gen consoles on the cheap. You might as well wait for fall when AMD/NVidia will release their new GPUs and AMD their 4000 series CPUs . You will probably be able to get a midrange 250-300 with equal or better performance than ps4.
10.23 TFLOPS RDNA 2 with 448GB/s would be worst than 12.147 TFLOPS RDNA 2 with up to 560 GB/s (rivals RTX 2080 with 448GB/s with Gears 5 built-in benchmark LOL).

RDNA 2 could NOT match Turing's memory bandwidth efficiency.

Last edited:
Top Bottom