• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you ELI5 why RE3 on X1X has bad Framerate?

CJY

Banned
*This is also a stealth next-gen thread*

ELI5 = "Explain it like I'm 5"

The GPU is what's responsible for pushing pixels.

Resolution of RE3 Remake:
PS4 Pro - 2880x1620 = 4,665,600 pixels
X1X - 3840x2160 = 8,294,400 pixels
(about 78% more pixels)

So X1X has a way better resolution, but the framerate is really bad/unstable on the X1X (floating around 35-50) compared to the PS4 Pro version which is close to a solid 60. This is what I don't understand: why?

You could say the X1X is being held back by the shitty Jaguar CPU, but PS4 Pro has the same CPU. If anything, X1X has a slightly better CPU.

I watched DF's analysis on this here:

Dark1X doesn't explicitly state why or how, just what is.

The basic answer to all of this that is that the 6TFLOPs of X1X's GPU just isn't good enough for true 4K gaming experiences. It's really not totally relevant about why though, because we see can examples of what is.

---

Mark Cerny back in 2016 said that for a true native 4K gaming experience, 8TF would be required.

Source:

In another article, Cerny also clearly states that the 8TF figure is a "personal estimate".

Was he right? With X1X failing to hit 4K/60FPS in a few games now, it would appear that he was correct and honest and it would seem the Xbox One X being sold as a "no compromise" native 4K gaming machine was in fact false, and the resulting games do in fact have some very serious compromises compared to the competition, particularly in the area of all-important framerate and stability.

With all that being said, why would anyone doubt Cerny's vision and suitability as PlayStation architect or doubt whether PS5 will be able to hit 4K/60?

Of course PS5 will be able to hit 4K/60 in most games if the dev chooses and not only 1800P vs 4K on XSX like so many seem to think.

To suggest otherwise is not dealing with facts.

It could be argued that any more than 10.3 TFLOPs on the PS5 would have been unnecessary in a machine targeting 4K/60. Cerny already said back in 2016 we would only need 8TF for a full 4k experience, so it just makes no sense why he'd build a console in 2020 not capable of it.

I'm not saying more isn't better, just that more isn't necessary for PS5, at all. I'm glad he seems to have invested more into other areas of the console.

Dunnas

I stopped reading after the video, but it is pretty simple. Capcom set the res too high. End of story.

Even at 40fps average the one x version is still putting out 50% more pixels per second, so it is not like it is struggling with the game.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
I stopped reading after the video, but it is pretty simple. Capcom set the res too high. End of story.

Even at 40fps average the one x version is still putting out 50% more pixels per second, so it is not like it is struggling with the game.
Yeah, the resolution was set too high. Seems crazy to me to choose native 4K over stable framerates, to each his own I guess... but it doesn't feel like a "no compromise" experience to me.

vpance

Capcom’s usually pretty good with performance in their last couple titles haven’t they?

Dropping the res a bit to get above 50 is such a no brainer, so I think they were mandated to keep it at 4K.

Reactions: CJY

Portugeezer

It's a balance between artistic vision and hardware. PS4 Pro can do 4K to a good degree but given the visual desires of developers it is a bit harder to achieve and maintain a steady framerate, on the X1X RE3 achieved 4K but sacrificed some framerate stability for that.

I don't care if PS5 can do 4K easily, I expect next gen will see a lot of smart upscaling techniques which will only continue to improve (Nvidia DLSS the most impressive ATM).

I see people, all the time, say that CPU is the biggest factor in framerate so I assumed it as the Jaguar CPU. They chose to force a UHD resolution and the CPU couldn't keep up with what everything else was going for. At laast, that's the impression I got from the video, that at the higher resolution, the CPU bottleneck is more exposed. Pro version is managing a much lighter load overall.

I could be wrong but I thought I read that the 1X version averages 47ish FPS. Definitely not ideal. Could be worse.

This is the ind of difference we could be seeing next-gen in multi-plats, just reversed, except both consoles going for 4k native and the weaker one getting 47ish uncapped, stronger one getting 60fps. Or they just lower the res a little bit on the weaker one and both get 60fps locked

Up the devs, I guess

This and because Capcom didnt optimize the game for the x.

No excuses for a game that looks almost like a last gen title running at a higher resolution, to run as bad as RE3 when RDR2 looks and runs the way it does (better on x1 than ps4 pro).

I see people, all the time, say that CPU is the biggest factor in framerate so I assumed it as the Jaguar CPU. They chose to force a UHD resolution and the CPU couldn't keep up with what everything else was going for. At laast, that's the impression I got from the video, that at the higher resolution, the CPU bottleneck is more exposed. Pro version is managing a much lighter load overall.

I could be wrong but I thought I read that the 1X version averages 47ish FPS. Definitely not ideal. Could be worse.

This is the ind of difference we could be seeing next-gen in multi-plats, just reversed, except both consoles going for 4k native and the weaker one getting 47ish uncapped, stronger one getting 60fps. Or they just lower the res a little bit on the weaker one and both get 60fps locked

Up the devs, I guess

Not the biggest factor, that would be the gpu. A slow cpu can cause a bottleneck for the gpu if it cant keep up with the gpus output.

I don think this gens gpus are powerful enough to suffer from cpu bottlenecking. I could be wrong on that one though.

Edit: I should have read your whole post first.

Last edited:
Yeah... I have no idea why Capcom went for resolution vs performance here. You'd think it'd be easy enough for them to just drop the resolution, or at least give us a "performance" option if they feel like they need to keep the higher res.

CJY

Banned
Capcom’s usually pretty good with performance in their last couple titles haven’t they?

Dropping the res a bit to get above 50 is such a no brainer, so I think they were mandated to keep it at 4K.
Insane, if true.

CJY

Banned
It's a balance between artistic vision and hardware. PS4 Pro can do 4K to a good degree but given the visual desires of developers it is a bit harder to achieve and maintain a steady framerate, on the X1X RE3 achieved 4K but sacrificed some framerate stability for that.

I don't care if PS5 can do 4K easily, I expect next gen will see a lot of smart upscaling techniques which will only continue to improve (Nvidia DLSS the most impressive ATM).
Exactly. Pure, native resolutions doesn't seem particularly imperative anymore with all those new techniques of CBR, upscaling, DLSS, ML, DRS...

Nice to have, sure... but feels irrelevant.

I think Cerny was right in his approach with PS4 Pro. The industry at-large seems to have agreed.

Vawn

Banned
Not very subtle thread to have a pop at X1X and XSX, and laud the PS5.

Here, I'll explain it to you as if you're 5...

'youre too young for big boy stuff, now go and play in the knife drawer and let the adults watch the TV in peace'

It's a legit question. Stop being so defensive.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Don't really have time for a super in depth post because I have to go out but basically I think its because some of the effects in the game scale badly with resolution, like transparencies such as hair and fire/explosions and also depth of field effects, this is amplified in cutscenes.

On my GTX 1080, 1728p [80% of 4K] give a 99.9% locked 60 in gameplay but not in cutscenes - epsecially close-ups of Mikhail's face and heavy use of transparencies and DoF with the camera so close it goes as low as 52. At 1944p [90% of 4K] its still locked to 60 95% of the time but [again] transparencies cause small-medium framerate drops in gameplay, like 55-60 depending on the scene and angle but down to 45 when explosions happen/lots of fire is seen. At native 4K I get 50-55 at worst in the train and outside [in gameplay] but in the train cutscene it goes as low as 35 during closeups . When outside, explosions will also reduce the fps to 45 for a number of seconds.

It's kind of something I dislike about the RE engine [and engines in general] that they don't have a way to make nice hair, smoke, fire explosions and DoF effects without crushing the framerate. I wish we had control over the quality of alpha effects but I'm guessing its not easily done or more game engines would have it in their video settings probably.

TL;DR - Layered alpha/transparencies destroys the framerate generally and during closeups and/or cutscenes the GPU is being hammered much harder than at any other time so the fps plummets because they don't want to lower the overall IQ of the game just to keep a few "problem spots" locked to 60.

TL;DR 2 - If XIX version ran at 1728p/1800p it would probably be locked to 60 just like the PS4 version, that final increase of 15-20% pixels sees an exponenial increase in GPU usage for certain scenes and when it hits 99-100% GPU usage the fps will drop because the GPU can't keep up with the CPU anymore.

JFC, thats already too much lol, I might come back and add more when I have time.

Skyr

What a weird premise for a thread to talk about PS5 Tflops once again. Don't be so insecure about some xbox fanboys telling you it's too weak. It's plenty enough power especially with great upscaling tech like DLSS emerging now. The difference in image quality between the PS5 and series x will be so marginal, it's not even worth talking about

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wasn't this also problem with RE2? Initially I mean.

Up the devs, I guess
If PS4 Pro can sustain 60fps with almost same CPU, using same assets, same physics, etc...this is not an issue of CPU, this is bandwidth/GPU related. Most likely GPU related, because 6TF GCN is definitely 4k without compromise type of GPU. Maybe R* was able to pull it off, somehow, but they also run PS4 Pro higher resolution than R3make, so it works for them.

It could be just programming issue, because there are a lot of mechanic which can yield massive improvements in rendering speed, but also requires a lot more time.

It's a bad call on Capcom priorities.

Not very subtle thread to have a pop at X1X and XSX, and laud the PS5.

Here, I'll explain it to you as if you're 5...

'youre too young for big boy stuff, now go and play in the knife drawer and let the adults watch the TV in peace'

This really have absolutely nothing to do with XSX vs. PS5, this is current game with current issues.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
What a weird premise for a thread to talk about PS5 Tflops once again. Don't be so insecure about some xbox fanboys telling you it's too weak. It's plenty enough power especially with great upscaling tech like DLSS emerging now.

Perhaps weird premise, but the whole point is that I'm not insecure at all about PS5's TFLOPs... just wondering about whether that TFLOP figure would compromise PS5's performance, and based on everything I see going back to the 2016 interview with Cerny, there's nothing to suggest it will. In fact, the TFLOP figure is irrelevant as long as games will hit 4K/60FPS.

Kuranghi

Struggling is exactly whats its doing, it can't maintain the framerate within an acceptable range *because* the res is too high.

I think devs should set their resolution target somewhere that fits with the amount of GPU power they have, so in this case they should've locked to 30 at 4K or lowered it to 1800p and got to [almost] locked 60.

So in this case you get a nice IQ from the X1X version but the framerate is objectively unpleasant feeling, the game feels bad to play because the frametime is constantly changing. On PS4 Pro the IQ is lowered slightly so its blurrier but the framerate and therefore frametimes are much more consistent so it feels good to play.

Maybe MS mandated that the game had to be at 4K to have "better" IQ than the PS versions 1800p but Capcom devs couldn't be bothered to optimize the game for X1X because they don't care, surely they would reduce the res if it was up to them since they are targetting 60 fps on the other SKUs. They probably didn't want to compromise the quality of assets/effects in the other versions of the game to make sure the X1X could hit 60 at 4K, I wouldn't do that either I would just drop the render res for X1X.

Exactly. Pure, native resolutions doesn't seem particularly imperative anymore with all those new techniques of CBR, upscaling, DLSS, ML, DRS...

Nice to have, sure... but feels irrelevant.

I think Cerny was right in his approach with PS4 Pro. The industry at-large seems to have agreed.

Irrelevant? How so? We don't even know for sure how well either next gen console handles AI upscaling, and I think CBR, flat out, sucks. There are a couple examples of it done very well but also other examples of just artifact'd to hell image. I would rather have native anything over CBR anything.

How does the industry at-large agree with Cerny, because a Capcom game can't hold 4k/60 on a current gen console?

Feels like you're trying to sell something

Banned
the One X version runs at a way too high resolution + settings combination.

it runs at 4k + higher shadow detail. playing the game on PC shows how much of an impact higher shadow settings can have. going from max to high pushed my framerate up by 20fps, going down further again to medium will give me 10fps more on average.
so literally all they have to do is maybe reduce resolution slightly and reduce shadow quality to be on par with PS4 pro

CJY

Banned
Irrelevant? How so? We don't even know for sure how well either next gen console handles AI upscaling, and I think CBR, flat out, sucks. There are a couple examples of it done very well but also other examples of just artifact'd to hell image. I would rather have native anything over CBR anything.

How does the industry at-large agree with Cerny, because a Capcom game can't hold 4k/60 on a current gen console?

Feels like you're trying to sell something

The industry at-large seems to have agreed with Cerny because of all the techniques I outlined in my previous post.

Nobody is saying native resolutions isn't good, but if native resolution comes at the expense of unstable framerates, then it's a compromise I'm not prepared to make, I'll take slightly lower resolutions.

I'm a person with close to perfect vision, never wore glasses, get my eyes checked every 2 years and I can't see a major difference between the high resolution mode and performance mode in God of War (2018) when in motion, sitting at a normal distance from my TV.

When viewing screenshots on my Mac though, the difference is stark.

There are other examples too, but the point remains that I'll take stable, high framerates over resolution 10 times out of 10, and higher and higher resolutions are suffering from the law of diminishing returns.

Try to find out how many PC gamers play at 4K. Or how many people watch netflix or Youtube at 4K. The numbers are infinitesimally small.

CJY

Banned
the One X version runs at a way too high resolution + settings combination.

it runs at 4k + higher shadow detail. playing the game on PC shows how much of an impact higher shadow settings can have. going from max to high pushed my framerate up by 20fps, going down further again to medium will give me 10fps more on average.
so literally all they have to do is maybe reduce resolution slightly and reduce shadow quality to be on par with PS4 pro
So it's possible Campcom just didn't care enough to optimise the games settings, not just the engine. That's a whole new level of L-word.

Banned
So it's possible Campcom just didn't care enough to optimise the games settings, not just the engine. That's a whole new level of L-word.

they didn't it seems... like, I literally think just lowering shadow detail to whatever the PS4pro runs at would instantly fix the framerate 🤷‍♂️

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Isn't there a performance setting on the options somewhere? I own a few capcom games for the ps4 pro and you get options like graphics, performance and clarity.

CJY

Banned
Isn't there a performance setting on the options somewhere? I own a few capcom games for the ps4 pro and you get options like graphics, performance and clarity.
Seems like there is no option. capcom seems to have just locked the resolution to 4K, brushed their ass, then launched.

Grinchy

Banned
Someone, at some point, decided that the native resolution was a higher priority than the framerate. Was it Capcom? Did Microsoft request it? We probably will never know.

But, I can't really understand why Capcom would purposely sacrifice framerate (which seems important to them as they keep churning out 60fps RE titles) just to say that this one version runs 4K.

Maybe, and this is tinfoil hat territory, there is some incentive with Microsoft for games that run at native 4K on the X.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

What does everyone think of the screen-space reflections in this game? Did you turn it off or keep it on? I haven't started RE3make yet [played the demo ofc] but it seemed to be a similar deal to RE2make where it "fizzes" a lot of the time. I don't want to miss out on all those sweet reflections on car roofs and such without it on but I also find the fizzing effect even more distracting than heavily aliasing.

Do you still get cubemaps reflection [or the like] replacements for ALL the SSS ones without it on?

BigLee74

This really have absolutely nothing to do with XSX vs. PS5, this is current game with current issues.

And yet the OP brought it up?

To translate the first post.

'Hi guys, especially you lovely PS kids.

Doesn't RE3 run like shit on the X1X compared to PS4? I know damn well it's because it's running at too high a resolution for the game to sustain 60fps, but let's pretend I don't, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to start this stealth PS5 v XSX thread, and I love starting threads me.

Anyway, where was I?

Oh yeah. I thought the X1X was meant to be a true 4k machine? I knew it couldn't possibly be, because Cerny said you needed 8TF, not 6TF. I'm even gonna embellish this post with a little throw away comment and make it seem like it was always promised the X1X would run games at 4k/60fps, but - shhhh! don't tell anyone - I know it wasn't really.

So yeah, I believe Cerny was right all along and fuck me do I want his babies! Lots of them!

To summarise ladies and gentlemen, don't worry that the XSX is over 12TF, because it's wasted TF. I'm so glad we got a faster SSD instead, and some audio chip I couldn't care about, and no bottlenecks, and a swanky 2 tone controller.

LONG LIVE PLAYSTATION.'

Or something like that.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Seems like there is no option. capcom seems to have just locked the resolution to 4K, brushed their ass, then launched.

Fuck man that's rough. I'm sorry =/

Googled a bit and it seems there's no options for the pro release neither... that is weird capcom has been doing good with these mid-gen consoles.

CJY

Banned
Fuck man that's rough. I'm sorry =/

Googled a bit and it seems there's no options for the pro release neither... that is weird capcom has been doing good with these mid-gen consoles.
It ok man, thanks.

I personally don't like options on consoles, dev should just give me the best experience possible.

Whenever there's an option, I choose performance for stable framerates.

Some people will say they prefer higher resolutions... but they'd be wrong. :p

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It ok man, thanks.

I personally don't like options on consoles, dev should just give me the best experience possible.

Whenever there's an option, I choose performance for stable framerates.

Some people will say they prefer higher resolutions... but they'd be wrong. :p
its clearly it isn't optimised properly, as somebody else said when you have a game running at the level of detail like RDR2 and that's stable this type of game should easy hold stable frame rate.

the X is clearly powerful enough to do 60fps and 4k in a lot of games and this is not the most taxing of games is it?

CJY

Banned
The answer is future proof, that game will most likely run at 4k-better shadows and better dof and 60 fps on the next Xbox while the ps4 while be stuck at ps4 settings.
That's a very interesting perspective, never thought of that.

Same game will indeed run at 4K/60 on XSX. That's pretty cool in fairness.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
its clearly it isn't optimised properly, as somebody else said when you have a game running at the level of detail like RDR2 and that's stable this type of game should easy hold stable frame rate.

the X is clearly powerful enough to do 60fps and 4k in a lot of games and this is not the most taxing of games is it?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Doesn't RE3 run like shit on the X1X compared to PS4? I know damn well it's because it's running at too high a resolution for the game to sustain 60fps, but let's pretend I don't, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to start this stealth PS5 v XSX thread, and I love starting threads me.

Anyway, where was I?

Oh yeah. I thought the X1X was meant to be a true 4k machine? I knew it couldn't possibly be, because Cerny said you needed 8TF, not 6TF. I'm even gonna embellish this post with a little throw away comment and make it seem like it was always promised the X1X would run games at 4k/60fps, but - shhhh! don't tell anyone - I know it wasn't really.

So yeah, I believe Cerny was right all along and fuck me do I want his babies! Lots of them!

To summarise ladies and gentlemen, don't worry that the XSX is over 12TF, because it's wasted TF. I'm so glad we got a faster SSD instead, and some audio chip I couldn't care about, and no bottlenecks, and a swanky 2 tone controller.

LONG LIVE PLAYSTATION.'

Or something like that.

Maybe some people just aren't technically-minded and/or don't automatically know how to analyze performance information from a game and make statements about why things are happening as they are. My job is to explain the benefits of different technologies to your average mum and dad type consumer who can barely understand installing or navigating an app with a remote control.

Its easy to assume everyone knows the things you do about tech or whatever but they usually don't. I try not to take for granted my own critical thinking skills regarding tech as much, you can learn by experience but you also have to do some reading/watching/listening to experts who've studied it as well.

Not saying OP isn't a PS fan btw haha, s/he clearly is. If the thread was made in bad faith then thats crap, but if not I'm happy to help answer the questions.

Kuranghi

How many 4K@60 fps games do you think there are on the X1X? Out of the ~2458 games? [Number according to wikipedia so a put a tilde in]

Obviously I mean games that actually maintain 60 fps [90% of the time] as well, not just games that are unlocked and bounce between 30 and 60 depending on scene. I just see this sentiment a lot and I wonder what figure people have in their heads.

base

Banned
1440p should be the best compromise for both consoles. Lower the res, give us better framerate.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
How many 4K@60 fps games do you think there are on the X1X? Out of the ~2458 games? [Number according to wikipedia so a put a tilde in]

Obviously I mean games that actually maintain 60 fps [90% of the time] as well, not just games that are unlocked and bounce between 30 and 60 depending on scene. I just see this sentiment a lot and I wonder what figure people have in their heads.
a lot more than on the pro, but there are full examples of games running at 4k and a lot higher frame rates than this game. look at Star Wars battlefront 2 for example, full 4k and 60fps

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
a lot more than on the pro, but there are full examples of games running at 4k and a lot higher frame rates than this game. look at Star Wars battlefront 2 for example, full 4k and 60fps

Which is a game engine with aggressive geometry LOD (straight out of the early 2000's MMO terrain) that can be jarring visually, still drops in frames and has stuttering on the X. It's not locked. So they should have dropped the resolution on that as well instead of chasing a checkbox.

RDR2 is closer to locked, yes... at 30fps. The issue is the Jaguar and bandwidth feeding it. Hopefully we see more framerate focus with the beefier Zen2's in the next-gen consoles. They would have no excuses other than pushing too much to hit a resolution checkbox.

I would prefer framerate focus at locked (30 or 60 depending on game) and do away with dips and stuttering utilizing reconstruction techniques and other hardware/software improvements to rendering RDNA2 allows for, over chasing a checkbox 98% of gamer's don't concern themselves with.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Maybe some people just aren't technically-minded and/or don't automatically know how to analyze performance information from a game and make statements about why things are happening as they are. My job is to explain the benefits of different technologies to your average mum and dad type consumer who can barely understand installing or navigating an app with a remote control.

Its easy to assume everyone knows the things you do about tech or whatever but they usually don't. I try not to take for granted my own critical thinking skills regarding tech as much, you can learn by experience but you also have to do some reading/watching/listening to experts who've studied it as well.

Not saying OP isn't a PS fan btw haha, s/he clearly is. If the thread was made in bad faith then thats crap, but if not I'm happy to help answer the questions.

Thread definitely wasn't made in bad faith. I was very open about this being a stealth Next-gen thread at the very top.

I'm not shitting on XSX, and it's not console-warrior-ing. My conclusion is just about PS5 easily having enough power for 4K/60, based on current expectations and Cerny interviews.

Regarding RE3 on current gen, I'm genuinely curious about why it runs so poorly. I gave a basic answer, but didn't delve into the any technical issues with the engine that might prevent it hitting the 60fps target. I just wouldn't know... so appreciate your answers here.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Proving once again that no matter how good the hardware, in the end the software running on it is going to run as well as its written.

• Thoughtful

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Anyway, where was I?

LONG LIVE PLAYSTATION.'

Or something like that.
tenor.gif

Now seriously, I think it was pointed out if it has any merit when it comes to PS5 vs XSX and I think it's maybe a good question, but the issue is that we really don't know. Especially now, when new technologies emerges like nVidia DLSS 2.0, which is full-on witchcraft.
Shameless plug: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/df-c...ay-tracing-on-rtx-2060.1534979/post-257670704

So we really don't know, this gen is going to be way more about APIs and how are they going to be used, than anything else. Obviously XSX having more of that, is only a good thing and I am not particular fan of 2.23Ghz GPU with abysmal record of Sony handling sound dampening of fans, air noise. But will see. And obviously I can't see PS5 being better in handling games. I think if they choose to target 4k (as they should), XSX is going to have better head room, but with MS prioritizing Framerate as time goes on....you know....I and most people don't know how is going to look like in next couple of years...

DaGwaphics

Clearly, this shouldn't have targeted native 4k, or at the very least provided an 1800p alternative mode. The final target chosen should be decided based on performance, this wasn't a good fit.

Top Bottom