• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Can You Feel... Tonigh?" on the new The Lion King

JimiNutz

Banned
My only interest in the film is seeing Pumba & Timon in action, eating bugs and singing. Oh and Rafiki doing martial arts at the end when he's fighting the Hyena's.

I'm expecting the rest of it to be pretty boring based on the trailers.

They removed all the expressions the characters had just so they can render realistic looking animals.

Nice graphics demo, nothing else.
I'd think the exact same thing if this were being handled by anyone else. But I think because all this is being limited to just previews for now, we are not seeing what's gonna make this special. I have never really seen Jon Favreau do a half-ass job.

nkarafo

I'd think the exact same thing if this were being handled by anyone else. But I think because all this is being limited to just previews for now, we are not seeing what's gonna make this special. I have never really seen Jon Favreau do a half-ass job.
The movie can be good or bad with or without expressive characters.

From what i have seen so far i don't think they will do anything that will look completely unrealistic, visually. So i don't expect Timon And Pumba dancing hula, the hyenas doing Looney Tunes crazy expressions or Scar doing his evil looking grins and smiles. Maybe some cute play/movement real animals do and maybe close to uncanny valley expressions at best. Not saying it's inherently bad, maybe others dig the realism, i just don't like that approach, personally, in a movie like this.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
My only interest in the film is seeing Pumba & Timon in action, eating bugs and singing. Oh and Rafiki doing martial arts at the end when he's fighting the Hyena's.

I'm expecting the rest of it to be pretty boring based on the trailers.
Exactly this.

kiiltz

yzjgtNk.gif

Elcid

Banned
I've yet to see a bad movie from Jon Favreau so I'm looking forward to it. Shame he can't just direct all Marvel/Disney movies.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
we did karaoke the other night and in between songs you could hear some guy in one of the other rooms and we were laughing cos he was so loud and hilarious. he was doing this song, cos i recognized the "kings and vagabonds" bit.

whatever Disney paid Elton John to write those songs, they need to double it.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
No guarantees it'll be stellar, but I can see at least one thing worthwhile in going live action (well, more like realistic CG).

My girlfriend is from South Africa. For her, that's not just a nice backdrop -- that's her homeland. And a more realistic look is not only like a visit home for people like her, it might do more to connect people to the real Africa than the animated version did. Insofar as a movie about talking animals can, anyway.

I just don't understand the point of remaking any of Disney's classic animated films as live action movies. Are they just trying to extend the copyright expiry dates?

quickwhips

Webp.net-compress-image-39-1021x576.jpg
No guarantees it'll be stellar, but I can see at least one thing worthwhile in going live action (well, more like realistic CG).

My girlfriend is from South Africa. For her, that's not just a nice backdrop -- that's her homeland. And a more realistic look is not only like a visit home for people like her, it might do more to connect people to the real Africa than the animated version did. Insofar as a movie about talking animals can, anyway.

Did she live on the plains? Survivalist? That sounds crazy. I figured she would have lived somewhere like this above.

The Snake

You might want to have a talk with your girlfriend.

Rran

I think the original is Disney's best animated film, but this remake looks super weird to me. There's no emotion in the realistic animals, no real character appeal.

Side note, I've always disliked "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" Hans Zimmer did his best with the song by adding the nice African chorus and taking away some of cheesy pop sound of the Elton John version, but it's like putting lipstick on a pig. Or warthog. Whenever Elton John sings those slurs on "ki-ings a-and vagabonds," I can actually hear my skin crawling.

Circle of Life and Be Prepared are awesome though. So's the Zimmer score. Shadowland for life.

GamingKaiju

My Wife will be dragging me to the cinema to see this so I'll judge it when I've seen the whole thing, as u said OP it is only a few seconds in the video.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Webp.net-compress-image-39-1021x576.jpg

Did she live on the plains? Survivalist? That sounds crazy. I figured she would have lived somewhere like this above.

You do know that South Africans go out into nature, right? :messenger_expressionless: She's visited Kruger Park numerous times, and lived in places where there were zebras near school and monkeys in her backyard. The wildlife is part of the South African experience unless you never leave downtown.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I just don't understand the point of remaking any of Disney's classic animated films as live action movies. Are they just trying to extend the copyright expiry dates?
bingo. there is a reason lawyers call copyright laws "Mickey Mouse laws". because Disney successfully lobbied to have copyright law altered in their favor.

this remake looks very boring and dull, but reminds me i haven't seen the original since it first came out in the theater. if i want to revisit the animation then i'll rewatch that one. haven't seen any of their remakes tbh i would rather see the classics again, but the remakes actually make me sick of them as well.

recently i sat through Babe: Pig in the City, which was incredible and amazing, and seemingly did all the things this movie is trying to do but failing, drama with "live action" talking animals. except that movie came out 21 years ago.

Last edited:

Mistake

After reading about the blatent ip theft of disney and the lion king, done on kimba the white lion, I'm not giving them money.

Top Bottom