• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you make DKC2 look good again?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Don't disappoint the OP now gaf. Give him the most delicious RetroArch shots you can produce.

Edit: I hope the prize is OPs rendition of a classic DKC2 scene rendered in paint.

06r3nYx.png

what do i win

Rich!

Use an XRGB Mini. Either that, or cgwg CRT filter in retroarch.

I fully stand by my opinion that DKC2 and DKC3 still look great. DKC1 is the one that has aged badly

Rich!

some crappy shots of DKC2 playing from a real SNES, via the XRGB on my 42" HDTV

You can't get clearer than that - and using smoothing filters via an emulator ruins the look of the game anyhow. You wouldn't go back to Citizen Kane and add a hip hop soundtrack courtesy of the RZA just to make it more watchable today, would you?

IAmMonodi

Ok so I use OpenEmu and it's got a lot of weird filters, but I think these ones gave me the most positively interesting results.

First is "SABR", which I personally don't know what the letters stand for.

HksYUoC.png

The pixels get "averaged" and smoothed together creating kind of a mess, in my opinion, but in motion it looks kinda good, and better in a pre-rendered game like Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

Next one is "LCD3x", which in other words it imitates Trinitron technology.

HBkbyUG.png

I dig the way the colors are channeled, but unfortunately it loses some brightness in the process.

And the last one is "CRT", which is pretty self explanatory.

PqVE9Cz.jpg

The image is distorted in a fish-eye lens effect and got some scanlines applied giving it the illusion of having the real deal popping out of your screen. It also has a cheesy black frame getting along the curved surface of these TVs.

Personal conclusion: Better get an actual SNES and hook the sucker to a good CRT TV. You may find a cheap one in Goodwill or rush through the dumpsters where college students are moving out because these punks throw away a lot of actually useful objects.

It's kind of a cliché answer but for better results you can also adjust the video settings of the TV for further preferences like color saturation and contrast; not to mention CRT TVs have varying results on the desired effects.

Foffy

Banned
Look at this beautiful HQ4X filter. Marvelous! Like a current gen game!
nydKeci.png

BLARGHHARGHGRGH

Blows my mind how people somehow use the HQ filter. xBR gives far better results.

Even as it being better, the SNES DKC games are terrible candidates for these kinda filters, with their 3D intent. It looks better than HQ, but any filter on these kinds of games gives it a blocky look.

I still remember sitting outside waiting for the bus to arrive, in my hands DKC1, fresh bought from Toys R Us. I was reading the back of the box and couldn't wait to get home turning my Snes on.... i couldn't deal with anthing except the original state of the graphics!

Jelle

The earlier ones posted are decent; this one is my favourite so far:

Would like to see what this looks like in other levels.

I sadly cannot get my hands on my RetroArch setup or other screenshots for some days. However, the shader's author has provided a nice test-program that uses 1:1 .png/.bmp input screenshots and displays the shader's effects on it, which are also adjustable. You can find it here.

/edit: using that, I quickly made these (click for full size):

Detail:

detail_by_jelbo-d7ixc7s.png

nkarafo

Oh boy, looking at all these screens it makes me happy that i still have both my CRT monitor and TV. I just can't find something to make these games look as good on a modern setup. And it frightens me that someday these old devices will die and i won't be able to find replacements anywhere :(

BTW, CRTs not only look better in still pictures, they also look better in motion. There is no blurring or ghosting, backgrounds are as sharp when they scroll as when they are still. Thankfully there are some advancements in this area on modern LCDs, i wonder how they compare with a real CRT though.

I'm going to assume no, but is there any way to run SNES games in widescreen or replace sprites with higher res ones?

This looks nice

Pre-rendered assets will always stay at their native resolution.

If you have a low-res image on your computer, you can't magically make it high-res. You have to re-render it at a higher quality.

tsab

Pre-rendered assets will always stay at their native resolution.

If you have a low-res image on your computer, you can't magically make it high-res. You have to re-render it at a higher quality.

CSI: Miami proofed you wrong.
Magnify, enhance it, tint it and you can read the license plate

No

Right, but you know how people have made texture packs for some 3D games that replace the low-res ones with high-res textures, was wondering if the same could ever be done for SNES titles. Say we had access to the original quality renders (like those pictures above), it would be neat if we could swap out the sprites and have them displayed at the higher resolution (swap a 64x64 sprite for a 256x256 one for example). I'm assuming though that swaped out sprites would need the same resolution as the originals.

I guess. Somebody is doing something similar with Alex Kidd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScyB69dwRA0

Top Bottom