• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you recall the first movie or television show that really scared you as a kid?

Patrick S.

Banned
Probably these:

220px-Creature_from_the_Black_Lagoon_poster.jpg

220px-Tarantula_1955.jpg

I watched those when I was like 5 or six and they scared the hell out of me.

Another early one was Clash of the Titans. Medusa was HORRIFYING.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
The original Poseidon Adventure.

I remember hiding behind my grandma's couch when the boat flipped upside down. That shit freaked me out as a kid lol.

Dark Star

Goosebumps in the late 90's ... My older sister made me watch the first Slappy dummy episode when I was like 4-5 years old and it scared my so much I started crying lol

GSB_319_Bride-of-the-Living-Dummy.jpg

and IT 1990 for sure gave me nightmares for years as well

maxresdefault.jpg

The Exorcist is also a tie with IT. Not sure which one I saw first, but Regan scared the crap out of me for years.

the-exorcist-still01.jpg

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Probably Are You Afraid of the Dark or The X-Files.

Back then there were alot of Stephen King made for TV movies so it might have been one of those too.

I've been watching scary movie since I can remember, my dad would let us watch them. He rented The Exorcist for my buddy and I when we were like 10, lol.

Ammogeddon

American werewolf in London.

My parents had rented it out and put it up on the shelf, telling us not to touch it.

Me and my brothers did what any other kid would and watched it when they were out. We didn’t get very far before deciding to turn it off.

Aesius

This scene where Luigi becomes possessed (!) in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show.

It's so silly now but I remember being scared to death of this scene when I was 3-4 years old. I would watch the VHS tapes endlessly but then run out of the room when this scene came on, lol. I remember my mom and brother laughing at me because it wasn't supposed to be a scary scene but it terrified me. I think the voice effect was just really disturbing to me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Zombie Flesh Eaters - although not the movie with that name it was an illegal 'video nasty', when I was about 6 or 7. The family down the road had one of those new fangled VHS players and my mom sent me round to watch a 'movie' unaware that the kid who was about 13 had some dubious connections and no compunction not to show horror movies to a 7 year old and a 4 year old (my little brother)

GymWolf

I started watching film horror and gore stuff at 4-5 years old with my older cousins so i got insensible pretty fast.

But i remember being scared by these fucking assholes when i was very little

2697dfe5eb7155fd6c2d6d0fb5532c42e096b33b.gifv

a6583e661a971b7de980aa3e789d8848.gif

Fuck those guys.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gremlins, but I still loved it.

Michael Jackson's Thriller video when he transformed.

Poltergeist... the clown... those damned clowns.

Twilight Zone no mouths episode.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Don't Go In The House and Jacob's Ladder when I was about 5 or 6 years old. Parenting failure.

Both absolutely fucked me up as a kid.

Unsolved Mysteries, IT, and Communion as well.

I straight up had a fear of the dark that lasted a long, long time, and I don't just mean as a kid. That's how badly I was scarred by those movies. It didn't stop there since I was a horror fan from that point on and would watch anything, my parents didn't seem to give a fuck what I watched.

Don't Go In The House had *full* frontal nudity, and not for some sex scene, but the woman getting torched alive as she screams and begs. Great viewing material for any 5 year old!

Jacob's Ladder to this day freaks me out, I wouldn't be comfortable watching it alone at night, and same with Communion.

It's funny, I never knew until I finally found the movie again like 2 decades later that it was a very silly comedy but I will say Killer Klowns from Outer Space scared the fuck out of me as a kid thanks to the clowns themselves. They definitely looked creepy.

Psycho 2 deserved an honorable mention for the creepy mother voice and various scenes in the movie with the silhouette of the mother character. The ending used to creep me the fuck out.

Last edited:

lem0n

Tales from the Crypt! I remember the host held some dudes head to a grille and that freaked me out because it was the first legitimately gory thing I can remember seeing, lol.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The first one was Alien. My folks watched it on VHS (maybe even beta back then) and covered my eyes at the android parts but not the rest.

The first really big one was some dumb ass flick called Time Walker. Basically a mummy with acid slime stalks a bunch of college kids. That flesh eating goo it was covered in was SOOOOO GROSS but it was PG (right before PG-13 was invented I'm sure) so we could go as young kids. I bailed in the theater, but had I stuck with it the ending reveal is so damned cheesey I would have been ok.
vfalX04.jpg

HAaN06A.jpg

Then there was Amityville 3D which REALLY fucked me up for weeks, as my room was at the very top of the house just like in that film.

Another one, but due to syndication on TV I'm not actually sure when I saw it, was "He knows You're Alone" with the head in the aquarium scene still vivid in my memory.

nkarafo

I don't remember the title but the movie starts with some guy being tied to a wall and gets beaten so some wounds appear. Then they throw some kind of liquid on him that looks like asbestos and you are treated with some closeups of the body while that liquid eats him? Or something like that.

I also think those closeups are the opening credits of the movie.

Or at least that's hiw i remember it. It must be 30 years ago.

pramod

Banned
It was some dumb scifi B movie with a giant spider eating people alive. I got so scared I hid under the seats. I don't remember the name of the film.

Last edited:

MachRc

The movie Legend.

iPneRi6.jpg

And Aliens.

Somehow I watched 2 before 1.
Sick feeling watching the colonists in cocoons for the first time as kids.

Watched the whole movie behind my cousin's back.
6TGUk5G.png

For me it wasn't even a show that was meant to be scary. It was a magic show. A magician performed an optical illusion. Just a harmless thing that amazed me. But then he said something like "You're surprised, huh? I know, I see it. I can see you!"
And that scared the shit out of me. I believed that he could actually see me and I just ran away from the television as fast as I could.

DarkestHour

Banned
Creepshow was pretty messed up. I remember my dad watching it and I decided to watch it with him. Times were different back then.

Bartski

Gold Member
hell yeah, Twin Peaks season one, brand new back then. I was 8 years old, parents didn't let me watch it but I still found a way to see a couple of episodes. Bad idea.

TMONSTER

Chucky, I owned a my buddy doll and had reaccuring nightmares of it coming to life and trying to kill me. I ended up grabbing my dad's lighter and burned the doll, my nightmares stopped after that.

VulcanRaven

Extreme Ghostbusters. It was very scary but I still watched it often.
yjkkNOg.png

m322861.png

The end credits were scary too:

Last edited:
Top Bottom