• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you see the difference between 60 and 30 fps? Test your ability inside!

Eusis

I messed up in interpretting it, and had trouble noticing a difference at all between left and right. So I focused on the left, and noticed the bottom was definitely NOT as smooth, so I sorta passed?

But I don't believe Dark Souls is the greatest example, that was one that had to have 60 FPS hacked out of it, not as easily as something like a locked UE3 game anyway, and it doesn't look quite right compared to other games. There even seem to be frames missing even in the smoother ones.
Why does it suck for them (me)? Imo that would be preferable, since I don't get annoyed when a game is 'only' 30 frames per second.
It'd be best to just not get too upset at 30 FPS, and honestly after a brief readjustment period I usually don't care unless it's a genre begging for it (and even then I have leeway for certain racers) or the frame rate is erratic rather than a smooth 30, which bugs me way, WAY more.

lord pie

I suspect that having them side by side makes it much harder for some people to see the difference. I found (as others have said) that covering up one image at a time makes the effect much clearer.

Vitor711

I can absolutely tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS in games but am having real trouble with these GIFs.

EDIT: Weird, I did the cover up trick and it's readily apparent which is which now.

Yeah the difference is pretty big. Only thing is that the gifs were very close together and could "trick" you as they seem to be the same scene. (blend to the same scene) Did take a couple of seconds per gif to see it.

Maybe a little more spacing between the comparisons gifs would differentiate the fps more.

But that is just me, may be wrong :)
No, you're right. If you cover one up and look at the other for a while, and then switch to looking at the other, it's far more obvious.

FSLink

Banned
I had difficulty seeing this at first, but I can easily tell the difference in actual gameplay if something if something's 15, 30, or 60 FPS. Kind of a difficult test when they're side by side in a .gif. A video would be better (outside of YouTube due to the FPS cap).

60 FPS will always be better in my eyes.

Tan

I could barely tell without doing the hand covering trick.
When playing a game I find it much easier to tell the difference (ex: going into a cave in Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate).

njean777

I can see the difference, but I really dont care if the game is 60 or 30fps. As long as it doesnt dip lower then 30 I am just fine.

Why does it suck for them (me)? Imo that would be preferable, since I don't get annoyed when a game is 'only' 30 frames per second.

Yeah I agree. I'm glad I don't have the problem of telling the difference.

I wonder if people's eyesight plays a factor. My vision is so bad that I'm close to legally blind without my glasses/contacts, and so maybe that matters.

baphomet

Because if 60fps looks the same as 30fps then you're missing out on 60fps. 30fps games don't automatically look smoother to you, 60fps games look more sluggish.

heckfu

Banned
I got them all right but I had to stare pretty intently. Also, I dont think this is a fair representation because it's definitely easier to tell in a full game than an isolated image IMO.

Yeah that was easy as fuck.

I got them all right but I had to stare pretty intently. Also, I dont think this is a fair representation because it's definitely easier to tell in a full game than an isolated image IMO.

Yeah and it was a bit confusing with another right next to it, of another FPS.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah the difference is pretty big. Only thing is that the gifs were very close together and could "trick" you as they seem to be the same scene. (blend to the same scene) Did take a couple of seconds per gif to see it.

Maybe a little more spacing between the comparisons gifs would differentiate the fps more.

But that is just me, may be wrong :)

That's the issue I had.

Boss Man

I honestly didn't see the differences.

I can 'feel' it while I'm playing games though. At least, I thought...

conman

Just took a glance to get all three right. For me, it's like seeing the difference between color and black/white. Night and day.

But the fact that so many in this thread didn't see the difference suggests that devs are right. I guess there's no reason for them to push for 60fps if many the most dedicated gamers can't spot the difference. :(

I just wish everyone could taste that sweet 60fps. When you can't tell, every game is just "Ehh, looks okay." But when you can tell it's "MY GOD THIS GAME IS MOVING LIKE BUTTER."

But I don't have an issue with 30 fps. Hell, I'd much rather a dev lock it at 30 frames instead of a variable 30-60 where the jumps distract the hell out of me.

First two were easy, last one took a little bit longer to figure out. Allthough I can see the difference, I don't really mind playing a game around 30fps.

HoosTrax

My hunch is that if you're used to 30 fps, you're less likely to see the difference from a move up to 60 fps. Whereas if you're used to 60 fps, you're more likely to notice the difference when dropping down to 30 fps.

Every game which is 30 fps locked on PC, like most of Double Fine's games and Dark Souls, I can tell immediately as soon as I start playing. I can see individual frames (like a slideshow) instead of a fluid animation.

Eusis

I saw the difference, don't care to much though. I want my games to be fun/entertaining they don't have to be perfect graphic wise (maybe because as a Nintendo gamer I'm used to that ratio)
Part of the annoyance from some of us though is that if they compromised visuals otherwise they WOULD hit 60 FPS, and I imagine 99% of the time we're not even going to miss those damn special effects that keep it from 60. MGR looks fantastic to me, and that's 60 FPS at a native 720p. In contrast Crysis 2 looks kind of hideous to me on 360, and that can't even hit a stable 30 FPS most of the time while being sub-native resolution, just so they can pump in all those details and effects. But then that IS a reason why my bigger beef is with pushing systems too hard for a stable 30, something like the older Bioshocks look just fine to me on consoles and I prefer the FPS locked just so I don't get insane tearing.
My hunch is that if you're used to 30 fps, you're less likely to see the difference from a move up to 60 fps. Whereas if you're used to 60 fps, you're more likely to notice the difference when dropping down to 30 fps.

Every game which is 30 fps locked on PC, like most of Double Fine's games and Dark Souls, I can tell immediately as soon as I start playing. I can see individual frames (like a slideshow) instead of a fluid animation.
I dunno, this gif isn't the greatest way to see, but I think if most people played a game in 60 FPS they WOULD notice it's just smoother, even if they couldn't put their finger on why. Look at the hypothetical reasons for why CoD is so much more popular than other FPSes, or think back (if you have these memories) of getting to see 60 FPS games after many 30 or less FPS games. I'm sure the smoothness was mind blowing, especially if it was on a PC that was also going way further than consoles (especially in the PS1 generation.)

NIN90

Covering one up really makes it noticeable. Having them side by side like that really doesn't make 60 FPS justice.

RedSwirl

30 vs 60fps is as much about controls as it is visuals. Controls is possibly the most important part about it. 30fps games have higher minimum input latency than 60fps games.

alazz

Got them all right.

But I don't think sight is a really useful metric, because the difference between playing a 60fps game with no noticeable stutter and a 30fps game should be palpable.

I got them all right but this test is shit. It's too easy to get muddled with them right next to each other - I suppose this is the "point" the blog is trying to make, but it falls to bits if you look at each individually. I already knew I can tell the difference in games.

Besides, the main advantage of 60fps is more controller responsiveness, not smoother looking images.

Just took a glance to get all three right. For me, it's like seeing the difference between color and black/white. Night and day.

But the fact that so many in this thread didn't see the difference suggests that devs are right. I guess there's no reason for them to push for 60fps if many the most dedicated gamers can't spot the difference. :(
It's not just about the look, it's the responsiveness. Many people wouldn't be able to pinpoint the framerate as to why Call of Duty is so fun, but it is absolutely key to its success.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The first one got me not the next two. It's obvious as they move which one is slower. If you can't see those difference it's not us with the bad eyes.

It's not just about the look, it's the responsiveness. Many people wouldn't be able to pinpoint the framerate as to why Call of Duty is so fun, but it is absolutely key to its success.

This less fps means less ability to respond according to what you see. It can be said a million times yet it's ignored. Counter strike 1.6 and recoil is one of the easiest ways to see how fps fucks you in a game that needs response.

NeoUltima

It is harder too see if you look at them side by side like that. But if you cover one half of the gif and look at it, then cover the other side and look at the other half, it is very very easy to see.

baphomet

It's part of the reason, but far from being the most important reason. I'm expecting the next CoD to be 30fps on current gen and be just as successful as the previous have been. If we believe those Chinese Battlefield rumors that's going to be the same.

Camjo-Z

I can't tell the difference in these gifs but I can easily tell in-game, most recently I remember noticing every time the framerate in God of War: Ascension went to 60 when not in combat and then dipped down when more stuff was happening.

It amazes me that some people can't tell the difference. Especially when it comes to games or movies... 60 fps is just so smooth whereas 30 is more film-like.

Film isn't smooth for you? You watch movies and think it looks choppy on the screen? How weird.

Top Bottom