• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Kills Penny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What kind of a Canadian still uses currency? Tim's started allowing debit a while ago.
I try to use cash at smaller businesses to make sure they don't get screwed by the transaction fees, to be honest.

I'm also not going to swipe a credit card at a McDonalds for a 3 dollar hamburger.

Zekes!

jbi54pHKu6O7WK.jpg

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I used to catapult pennies off my boner by flexing kegels but after dick bodybuilding and getting much stronger I upgraded to nickels, and then quarters. I no longer have any use for pennies.

Shambles

Not far enough, should have got rid of nickles at the same time as well. Considering the penny is only worth 1/20th of what it was when it was introduced we'd still have relatively lots of headroom if we just cut it down straight to dimes

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Have you ever gotten mad and just punched cash? Is it possible to be racist against certain types money? Nobody likes coppers.

Neki

Ah, my bad. Thanks for pointing that out, heh.

Well... Yeah. What's the point of doing something if it's not a good thing? This is a way off topic conversation, though.

Well by stopping the production of pennies, they're effectively no longer wasting money from the federal budget for a coin that costs more to produce than it's inherent value. Therefore, they can use the money they save towards things like healthcare and education. Is that good enough for the world for you?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I try to use cash at smaller businesses to make sure they don't get screwed by the transaction fees, to be honest.

I'm also not going to swipe a credit card at a McDonalds for a 3 dollar hamburger.
Maybe with credit cards, but I doubt small companies will pay high fees for Interac transactions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe with credit cards, but I doubt small companies will pay high fees for Interac transactions.
I only use a credit card for non cash transactions because of the cash back stuff though.

If I'm going to pay by cash, I might as well use real cash.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
America should too but it will never happen. Also, no more paper dollars.

Go back to Europe. Dollar coins suck.

I'm all about killing off the penny though. Getting rid of change in general is only a good thing - hate coins with a passion.

Markster

It doesn't matter how big they are, they pay the same fees for Interac/credit, generally $0.25 per Interac transaction, or %1-2 per credit transaction.

If you want to support your local businesses, pay cash.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It doesn't matter how big they are, they pay the same fees for Interac/credit, generally $0.25 per Interac transaction, or %1-2 per credit transaction.

If you want to support your local businesses, pay cash.
I thought it was 10c per transaction. Did the fee changed recently?

Australia has phased the penny and 2cent coin out ages ago, 1990 was the last year of circulation.

Now its time for the 5 cent coin methinks

laaame

This needs to happen in the US. I remember reading that producing a penny cost 1.04 cents, it makes me feel like i'm being robbed of those .04 cents every time I get one (even though I am actually a cent richer)

LakeEarth

We also have 2 dollar coins as well, and last year we started replacing paper money with plastic. The Canadian 100 dollar bill is now plastic, and 50 dollar plastic bills are scheduled for this month... or maybe they're already in circulation? I dunno, I haven't seen any yet.

As for pennies... I still have tin containers full of these fuckers. I won't miss them at all.

The plastic $50s just came out. I haven't seen one yet either.

Whoo! Glad to be done with pennies. Just a waste of millions every year.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister

Wireless credit card payment? It's much faster than paying cash.

trinest

To think at one stage wasn't Australia thinking of getting rid of the 5c as well? you guys are way behind the times.

LCfiner

HELL YES!!!!

Cafeteria at work recently raised prices by, literally, one penny on some items so I get 4 cents in useless pennies back for a coffee once or twice a day.

I’ll be glad to finally be able to ignore pennies entirely.

mrkgoo

Yess! No more pennies for me! I don't care if I lose 1-4 cents on a transaction.

As far as I am aware, it costs more than 1cent to manufacture a penny, which doesn't make sense. And since people are constantly losing them (since they are just a penny) they have to keep making more and more.

Next step is including the tax in prices displayed. New Zealand already has this AND no penny. We could learn from them.

Yay for NZ!

Actually, we dumped our 1c and 2c coin aaaaaaages ago. A few years back, we downsized all our coins to be lighter and cheaper, and at that point, we also dumped our 5c coin (poor tuatara).

And we have plastic notes with transparent windows on them.

I'd say we are the future, but we only just changed our give way rules to reflect the rest of the world last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom