• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CANADA NPD Sales Results for July 2007

Many thanks to NPD for their support.

NeoGAF exclusive report said:
Canadian VG industry sales continue their blistering sales pace. Sales for July were up $32M for the month to almost $84M. Sales for the year are up over 60%.

Overall hardware sales were up 113% matching the YTD increase, with console sales up an incredible 213% YOY. Portable hardware sales were flat YOY for the month, and are up 35% for the year with the DS outselling the PSP 7-1 during July. The GBA loses some steam, but is still selling better than the PSP by a significant margin.

On the console side, the Wii was far and away the leading HW platform, selling over 2-1 over the PS3, which managed to outsell the 360 for the first time by over 15%. PS2 outsold them both easily to snag the #2 spot for the month. It's worth noting that the 360 has been outselling the PS3 by a similar margin in Canada than in the US, so that potentially portends well for the PS3's chances come Thursday. That being said, the markets move quite differently and the PS3's performance has been so rough, it could merely be a specific market's correction.

Overall software sales were up over 30% for the month thanks to strong sales of Wii Play, Guitar Hero, Pokemon Diamond, Mario Party 8, Transformers, and the energizer bunny of the DS, New Super Mario Bros still managing to make the top 10. Console software sales were up a whopping 43% YOY, with portable software sales a more modest 8%. Nintendo and Activision were the only entries in the top 10 and took 17 of the top 20. Only Resident Evil (Wii), Ninja Gaiden (PS3), and Rainbow Six (PS3) managed to crack the top 20 for other pubishers.

HW Sales
Hardware Jul'07 Jun-07 Adjusted for extra week

Nintendo DS 45,755 45,700 25.15%
Wii 36,419 53,000 -14.11%
PS2 20,278 21,000 20.70%
PS3 15,037 6,500 189.17%
Xbox 360 13,119 13,500 21.47%
GBA 9,750 8,800 38.49%
PSP 5,825 18,500 -60.64%

Below are the top 10 software sales MTD.

> 20k
Wii Play

> 15k
PS2 Guitar Hero 2 w/Guitar
PS2 Guitar Hero Encore: Rock the 80's
NDS Pokemon Diamond
WII Mario Party 8
360 Guitar Hero 2 w/Guitar
PS2 Transformers

< 10k
NDS Pokemon Pearl
NDS New Super Mario Bros
NDS Brain Age

Below are the top 10 software sales YTD.

> 100k
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE
NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION

> 50k
XBX VALUE PACK (clearance games)
NDS POKEMON PEARL VERSION
PS2 VALUE PACK (clearance games)
WII LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS
PS2 GOD OF WAR II
NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS
WII MARIO PARTY 8
360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR

RBH

On the console side, the Wii was far and away the leading HW platform, selling over 2-1 over the PS3, which managed to outsell the 360 for the first time by over 15%. PS2 outsold them both easily to snag the #2 spot for the month.

Not too surprising.

It's worth noting that the 360 has been outselling the PS3 by a much wider margin in Canada than in the US, so that potentially portends well for the PS3's chances come Thursday. That being said, the markets move quite differently and the PS3's performance has been so rough, it could merely be a specific market's correction.

All hell will break loose if the PS3 can't beat the 360 in Thursday's NPD. :lol

I'm starting to think MS will have to drop a bomb at Leipzig to over shadow over NPD news. I mean, Pachter said PS3 sold better, and he's like a Jesus of the video game world.

explodet

Guy Legend said:
The 60 gb PS3 dropped by a $100 or $150 in Canada?
Both, depending on where you went - a bunch of retailers started charging $699 for the PS3 while some places like EBGames and I think Zellers still charged $649.

Now everybody's charging $549 for the 60GB.

I just realised, a massive thread is about to erupt because of 3rd and 4th place.... is this the way that next-gen will work for another few years?

Odysseus

Banned
article said:
Portable hardware sales were flat YOY for the month, and are up 35% for the year with the DS outselling the PSP 9-1 during July. The GBA loses some steam, but is still selling better than the PSP by a significant margin.

wait, what?

nds 9x psp
gba > psp

what's up, canada?

that's got to be a typo.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sonycowboy said:
On the console side, the Wii was far and away the leading HW platform, selling over 2-1 over the PS3, which managed to outsell the 360 for the first time by over 15%. PS2 outsold them both easily to snag the #2 spot for the month. It's worth noting that the 360 has been outselling the PS3 by a much wider margin in Canada than in the US, so that potentially portends well for the PS3's chances come Thursday. That being said, the markets move quite differently and the PS3's performance has been so rough, it could merely be a specific market's correction.
A $150 CAD price drop (compared to only $100 in the US) make it even harder to compare.

Evlar

Banned
Odysseus said:
wait, what?

nds 9x psp
gba > psp

what's up, canada?

that's got to be a typo.
It's not impossible. May foreshadow the PSP slipping below PS2 sales in the US again.

sionyboy said:
I just realised, a massive thread is about to erupt because of 3rd and 4th place.... is this the way that next-gen will work for another few years?
Few years... entirey of the generation.

Give or take.

Fuzzy

For people wondering why the DS:pSP ratio was so large in July, it's because the PSP was cleared out to make room for the new model. I haven't seen a PSP in stores since early June.

Odysseus

Banned
Fuzzy said:
For people wondering why the DS:pSP ratio was so large in July, it's because the PSP was cleared out to make room for the new model. I haven't seen a PSP in stores since early June.

i was wondering if the new hardware announcement made a difference, but you'd think the article would mention it. or not. what was the nds : psp : gba ratio for june? is that available?

koam

Fuzzy said:

Umm? The PSP is in full stock everywhere in Montreal.

Odysseus said:
wait, what?

nds 9x psp
gba > psp

what's up, canada?

that's got to be a typo.

Whooops. It was, I was using the rounded down figures. When I take into account the whole numbers, its only > 7-1 for the DS vs the PSP.

PSP has really, really slowed down after decent HW performance in Canada in prior months.

Fuzzy

Odysseus said:
i was wondering if the new hardware announcement made a difference, but you'd think the article would mention it. or not. what was the nds : psp : gba ratio for june? is that available?
June
DS = 2.5xPSP
PSP = 2.1xGBA

Fuzzy

koam said:
Umm? The PSP is in full stock everywhere in Montreal.
Really? FS/BB here in Toronto have had signs up for a while about the PSP being discontinued and the new model would be in stores late August/September.

Evlar

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Whooops. It was, I was using the rounded down figures. When I take into account the whole numbers, its only > 7-1 for the DS vs the PSP.

PSP has really, really slowed down after decent HW performance in Canada in prior months.
So we're looking at a greater than 50% drop in PSP sales since June, week-per-week?

wtf said:
Nintendo and Activision were the only entries in the top 10 and took 17 of the top 20. Only Resident Evil (Wii), Ninja Gaiden (PS3), and Rainbow Six (PS3) managed to crack the top 20 for other pubishers.
that is the most shocking thing i think i've ever seen in any NPD thread, Canada or US. it's one thing to hear that activision have out performed EA for the first half of the year. it's another entirely to see EA not even breaking the top 20 with a single title.

15% over the 360 in canada. about what i'd expected. course we have to wait another month to see whether or not the 360 price drop brings us back to the status quo we had before the price drops.

FIREBABY

Epic. Not really. If the PS3 price cut didn't take them over 100k for July that would have been epic. not surprising at all really. The only thing that would impress me would be them sellin over 200k. Which I doubt since PS2 took number 2. Next month will be the same thing with the 360 after pricedrop, and so on and so on. Not epic, just expected. So they probally sold about 160k or 170.

sionyboy said:
Don't you mean 5th and 6th place? (Behind Wii, DS, PS2 and PSP)

sonycowboy said:

As said, Sony doesn't support enough the handheld and it's a shame. God of War PSP is not enough. It's better then nothing, but Sony can do much more.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
As said, Sony doesn't support enough the handheld and it's a shame. God of War PSP is not enough. It's better then nothing, but Sony can do much more.
that or people know a new better PSP is coming and holding off a month or two to buy the better model.

i'd say that's a bit more likely to be the explanation for the slowdown.

plagiarize said:
that or people know a new better PSP is coming and holding off a month or two to buy the better model.

i'd say that's a bit more likely to be the explanation for the slowdown.

I doubt the mass market will distinguish between the old and new model, outside the price and the name......

dyls

sonycowboy said:

Wait, you wrote this release? Did they forbid you giving hardware numbers (and exact software numbers)? Is this what we can expect on Thursday?

Odysseus

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I doubt the mass market will distinguish between the old and new model, outside the price and the name......

the vast discrepancy between ds : psp ratios for june and july suggests otherwise. the mass market clearly found out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Geez, are we not going to get actual numbers?

Boo

GhaleonEB

FIREBABY said:
Epic. Not really. If the PS3 price cut didn't take them over 100k for July that would have been epic. not surprising at all really. The only thing that would impress me would be them sellin over 200k. Which I doubt since PS2 took number 2. Next month will be the same thing with the 360 after pricedrop, and so on and so on. Not epic, just expected. So they probally sold about 160k or 170.
It's going to be interesting to see how the PS3 performance is compared to the 113% increase Sony reported, how the top five retailers fare compared to the NPD figure.

I'm expecting the PS3 to outsell the 360 by a small margin, then fall back when the 360 jumps in August. Honestly, I don't see it outselling the 360 again this year in the US, but stranger things have happened. We should also get Microsoft's first report of how well the price cut has fared for them, just as Sony did in their NPD PR release last month. Will be interesting and fun all around. :D

tanod

when is my burrito
plagiarize said:
jumping the gun a bit there. even if true... i don't see how canada = worldwide.
Obviously, Canada or NPD isn't WW but using that as an indicator of USA performance:

66,000 unit difference in Japan +
a (close to) dead heat in Europe +
whatever USA NPD is (predicted to be PS3 > 360)

is gonna make it an extremely likely possibility that the PS3 does outsell the 360 worldwide in July.

Top Bottom