• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventara

Dammit, I'm really tempted to buy Prime. But $80. Should I? Should I not? My backlog. I just bought 12 new games from EB's promo. But $30 FF12 + whatever mistakes for a year. Argh, I can't decide.

F4r0_Atak

Dammit, I'm really tempted to buy Prime. But $80. Should I? Should I not? My backlog. I just bought 12 new games from EB's promo. But $30 FF12 + whatever mistakes for a year. Argh, I can't decide.

Even at 80$... by buying at least 5 to 10 games within the next year, you'll be saving at least from 80$ to 160$ (without adding the potential mistakes with prices). Take it... it's worth it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Find a student email to use. $40 for student prime

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Even at 80$... by buying at least 5 to 10 games within the next year, you'll be saving at least from 80$ to 160$ (without adding the potential mistakes with prices). Take it... it's worth it.

This implies you'll buy that many games at launch. I can understand for Nintendo games as they almost never drop in price, but for most other games, you'd save a lot more money waiting for deeper price cuts if you're not in a hurry.

Not saying Prime is never worth it, but it's something to keep in mind.

F4r0_Atak

This implies you'll buy that many games at launch. I can understand for Nintendo games as they almost never drop in price, but for most other games, you'd save a lot more money waiting for deeper price cuts if you're not in a hurry.

Not saying Prime is never worth it, but it's something to keep in mind.

For Japanese that are not published by Namco... it's worth it. I've noticed in the past years that Namco's new releases often tend to be discounted during the Black Friday or Xmas deals.

antibolo

Banned
For anyone who snagged a Switch + Zelda bundle from Best Buy on Friday but doesn't actually want to keep Zelda:

(from their website)
If you purchased an item as part of a bundle package, you may return that item separately. However, if you decide to break up that bundle by returning an item, the price of all items in the bundle reverts to what they would be if they were purchased individually. Therefore, you will receive a refund for the returned item that is less than the price you paid for it when you purchased it as part of a bundle.
Source

I already own Zelda from EB trade credit, and I didn't know what I was gonna do with this extra copy of Zelda. Thankfully since the price of the bundle is just the individual prices of Zelda and a Switch combined, anyone who bought it can get $79.99 + tax back for Zelda if they don't need it.

Why the hell would one want a Switch without Zelda??

How is it any less realistic than assuming the E3 discounts will be gone? That's an assumption too. We'll have to just wait and see. But buying Prime now for the purpose of the 20% discounts would be premature until we see what happens at E3. Of course, there are other reasons to get Prime too.

I agree, I wouldn't get Prime now just to prepare for E3 not having any discounts. It's not like Amazon stops selling Prime during E3 (and in fact the worst-case scenario would be Amazon intentionally killing the E3 promo specifically to get people to sign up for Prime).

There are two main advantages to Prime over last year's E3 discounts: one, you get discounts on every pre-order, not just the ones that happen to be available during E3. So if games get announced later in the year, you don't miss out. Two, the Prime discount applies up to two weeks AFTER a game has been released. So if you're someone who doesn't like the idea of pre-ordering games but feels they have to because of the discount, you can opt not to buy a game until after reviews and initial impressions come out, and still get 20% off. (The third main advantage is discounts on LE/SE games, which tend to be excluded from E3 promos, but not everyone goes for those and frankly those people are probably smarter than the people who do, i.e. me and my weak will.)

The big minus, of course, is the yearly cost.

Why the hell would one want a Switch without Zelda??

Speaking of my weak will, I bought a Switch when it went up on Best Buy, but am holding off on Zelda for now. This is partially because I have an unopened Special Edition and am unsure if I really want to open it (so I'd only buy another copy if I decide not to), but also partially because I just don't have any time to play it anyways.

Considering activating the 30 day Prime trial for this but don't know if the discount will go away on a preorder over 30 days away.

EDIT: nvm I'm out "Customer must have an active free trial or paid Prime subscription at the time of placing an order and the time of shipment to receive offer."

Lexxism

Considering activating the 30 day Prime trial for this but don't know if the discount will go away on a preorder over 30 days away.

EDIT: nvm I'm out "Customer must have an active free trial or paid Prime subscription at the time of placing an order and the time of shipment to receive offer."
You can test it out and let us know!

This is why I still have some pre-orders from E3 2016 despite now having Prime and (in theory) being able to get Prime shipping for the same price if I re-place my pre-order.

kaiyo

get the trial closer to release

MarkusRJR

Hey guys, does anyone have Nintendo's support email address for questions? They used to have one on their support site but now you can only call them or set up a Repair (with specific issues).

My right joycon doesn't stay still in the grip (yet it seems fine on the console itself) When I push on the analog stick or push the home button it physically pushes in the joycon and makes a clicking noise.

My left joycon's analog occasionally creaks and feels strange, idk.

Not sure if it's worth calling them over such tiny Issues... especially when it's the latter and I can't even properly describe it.

Ventara

I tested it just a couple days ago with This is The Police.

Discounts with the prime trial do persist after expiration.

As in you can sign up again right before the release to actually be able to get the discount...

or you don't need to be signed up at all anymore to get the discount despite what Amazon says?

Lexxism

As in you can sign up again right before the release to actually be able to get the discount...

or you don't need to be signed up at all anymore to get the discount despite what Amazon says?
Probably the latter. It just means that you don't need to be a prime when your 20% game shipped. Hopefully there are more who tried this.

Ventara

Probably the latter. It just means that you don't need to be a prime when your 20% game shipped. Hopefully there are more who tried this.

Woah, I'd like confirmation on this. Would be pretty amazing if true, but so far others have said that you need to be a Prime member when it ships, but they could have just been using what Amazon says instead of trying it out.

I let my Prime expire in December but BOTW kept its E3 discount and the free two-day shipping.

8f06a71094551f4e128bcb99bc1ff764.png

Ventara

The latter.

Sorry, I know I might start sounding like a broken record with this, but just to confirm; you preordered This is the Police with Amazon Prime trial, then your trial expired before This is the Police released, and then when the game released, you still kept the discount on This is the Police despite not being a member, correct?

Sorry, I know I might start sounding like a broken record with this, but just to confirm; you preordered This is the Police with Amazon Prime trial, then your trial expired before This is the Police released, and then when the game released, you still kept the discount on This is the Police despite not being a member, correct?

Yes.

TheExodu5

Banned
I really wish there was a way to apply Prime to digital games. I've pretty much committed to buying digital games (due to convenience and lack of clutter), but it sucks that I'm financially punished for doing so (no pre-order incentives, no trade-in possibility).

Just for games? You would have to buy at least 5 or 6 games for the discount to cover the fee.

But if you're running a household, prime is amazing. So much gas saved not going out to stores in person. So much TIME saved most important of all.

Prime + costco can be like 95% coverage of all your shopping.

Lexxism

The MLB the show 17 cover is ugly. There's a side of me who want to buy the MVP edition just to have a better cover. Ugh

Mimosa97

I really wish there was a way to apply Prime to digital games. I've pretty much committed to buying digital games (due to convenience and lack of clutter), but it sucks that I'm financially punished for doing so (no pre-order incentives, no trade-in possibility).

I'm in the same boat. I rarely play games day one (only happened with Horizon this year and prob RDR 2) and psn sales have been amazing for the last 18 months so I'm not complaining but yeah I wish there were incentives to buying games digitally day one.

mdubs

Banned
I agree. The financial incentives are just too far stacked against me ever going digital fully for now. The fact I have to pay full price for digital exclusives with no possibility of reselling later is a massive deterrent to buying and sucks hard, and this is even more true for games that a concurrently physical.

I mean, look at how much we were all able to get back in EB credit during that Switch/$10 minimum deal. Getting $20 before tax towards Switch stuff for trading in paperweights such as Titanfall and NHL 15 is amazing and thanks to buying physical copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom