• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

The overwhelming majority of Albertans are not anywhere near as "far right" as some in the east want to believe.

Not far right, but definitely lean right in terms of policies.

But then again, every election post-Klein has been won by campaigning towards the center -- though actual governance was quite different.

Not far right, but definitely lean right in terms of policies.

But then again, every election post-Klein has been won by campaigning towards the center -- though actual governance was quite different.
Provincially but they are clearly dark blue Federally and proud of it

Mr.Mike

I assume Canadian agriculture is basically propped up by the same trade protections that prevent Asian/African products from just flooding our supermarkets and destroying the farming industry here.

Agriculture might be one area where the script is kinda flipped.

US mounts challenge to China's high tariffs on chicken imports

Or for some hard Canadian data, Exports of grains, by final destination, from StatsCan
cHgUszl.png

I mean, eventually we'll run out of wage slaves to exploit unless we as a society decide to go back to real slavery (by like, forcing prison inmates to build iPhones for us or something). But a lot of that is mitigated by isolationism/protectionism that demands companies "artificially" create jobs in a country in order to sell their products there. I guess it's something I haven't really considered too deeply.

I disagree with the premise that running out of ultra-cheap labour is something to be avoided, or even that it is required to maintain standards of living. Ideally we will eventually run out of ultra-cheap labour and it'll be fine.

Poor countries have ultra-cheap labour because it's the only thing they have. We have every other advantage (infrastructure, education, capital, stable institutions) and are much more productive per capita. The reason we might eventually run out of ultra-cheap labour is because poor countries have finally been able to build up the other things, making themselves much more productive.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Agriculture might be one area where the script is kinda flipped.

US mounts challenge to China's high tariffs on chicken imports

Or for some hard Canadian data, Exports of grains, by final destination, from StatsCan
Doesn't the CWB act in some manner here? I must admit I've forgotten about how it works after the issue dropped out of the news.

I disagree with the premise that running out of ultra-cheap labour is something to be avoided, or even that it is required to maintain standards of living. Ideally we will eventually run out of ultra-cheap labour and it'll be fine.

Poor countries have ultra-cheap labour because it's the only thing they have. We have every other advantage (infrastructure, education, capital, stable institutions) and are much more productive per capita. The reason we might eventually run out of ultra-cheap labour is because poor countries have finally been able to build up the other things, making themselves much more productive.

I remember stories like this one:
An evaluation by Marketplace looked into the hypothetical cost of an American-made iPhone, and came up with a similar estimate. If all the components were made in the US, they suggest, that could push the cost up to $600, which would mean the phone could retail for as much as $2000.
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-products-would-cost-if-made-in-us-2016-11/#solar-panels-5

I don't know if people would pay for a 2000 dollar iPhone and the real cost of goods is hidden away from the consumer and for the most part, we're okay with that. I suppose if we can flip a switch and suddenly transition to full automation so that the price of goods remains the same or even goes down, but right now it seems to be the trend to try to find lower and lower wage workers. It's why a lot of Chinese businesses are setting up factories in parts of Africa too.

I think that's a sticking point with NAFTA anyway, isn't it? One of the reasons America wants out is because the working conditions in Mexico are so bad that American companies can't compete with the lower wages/benefits of Mexican employers.

From The Beaverton: Andrew Scheer dismantles pro-white supremacy news outlet by hiring everyone who works for it

“If I hire everyone who works for The Rebel, they can’t work for The Rebel anymore,” Scheer said. “I deprive The Rebel of the staff they need to keep churning out their conspiracy theorist, pro-fascist, xenophobic, racist, anti-semitic, and misogynistic commentary, while at the same time building my own staff. It’s win win. A very efficient system.”

Mr.Mike

Senate delay on sex assault training for judges bill 'makes my blood boil': Ambrose

In the wake of Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein's meteoric downfall over sexual misconduct allegations and the rise of the #metoo campaign, former interim leader Rona Ambrose said it's frustrating the Senate still hasn't passed her bill mandating sexual assault training for judges.

"It makes my blood boil, to be honest, because it's really about creating a level of confidence so that people will come forward," Ambrose told Chris Hall, host of CBC Radio's The House.

Before leaving politics, Ambrose introduced Bill C-337 to mandate training for judges on sexual assault law, saying it was needed after a series of high-profile cases revealed many judges adhere to archaic stereotypes about women who are subjected to sexual violence.

In one notable case, former Federal Court judge Robin Camp questioned why a sexual assault complainant couldn't "just keep [her] knees together."

Camp later resigned.

Bill C-337 passed the House of Common with bipartisan support in May, but has languished in the Senate ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom