• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancel pre order after using pre order content?

Kerotan

So my friend is a cheap ass and he is pre ordering destiny 2 lightfall and modern warfare 2 vault edition. He wants to take advantage of the bonuses.

Destiny 2, legendary emote, emblem and exotic weapon.

Modern warfare 2 you get skins to use in warzone. Early access to beta.

I know he pre order if he never downloads but if he access the pre order bonuses and uses them in destiny or warzone would they still give him a refund?

Same regarding the beta. His plan for mw2 is to use the skins on warzone, cancel the pre order before launch then buy the cheap edition at launch.

Iced Arcade

"friend"
mike myers air quotes GIF

I’ve seen GameStop preorders be revoked from psn/Xbox live accounts if you cancel the preorder. They can track the preorder code to the receipt for the preorder and revoke the content if the preorder was canceled.

I think some retailers tried to stop this later by only having the keys emailed out right before a game releases.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Totally. I still can't believe anyone cares at all about that stuff.

"Whoa, who's that with the slightly different colour camouflage?!"
I mean he is 18 so from a different generation to me. The reason I pre ordered was to play the mw2 beta and campaign a week early. Week early campaign is huge.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Depends how he got it probably. In the past I've physically pre-ordered from Amazon, got a bonus code, cancelled the pre-order and still had a mate use the code while getting a refund.

GenericUser

Yeah, I do this every year with Call of Duty. I preorder it in spring (when they usually announce it) and cancel it right away after I receive the beta codes. Works every time (using amazon btw).

Last edited:

Kuranghi

A young guy at work told me he spent over 3 hundo on a knife skin for Apex :messenger_grimmacing_ then stopped playing the game a week later.

I have no reason to think he's lying because he's a moron with regards to buying status items, his trainers cost like 600 quid. That's on a wage of around a grand a month after tax, but ofc he has no bills due to living with parents still.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
GameStop usually has your DLC on the bottom of the receipt at the time of purchase.i haven’t exactly played a beta because I went to GameStop. It’s super easy to get a beta code from Amazon before the game is out. Amazon sends emails. I got the beta email from my Amazon preorder of MW2. I don’t shop at GameStop anymore just because I don’t have to. If it’s launch day DLC then they may wait till the time that the game comes out. That would mean you’d have to return the game.

I’ve also been in a situation where I got my email codes for bonus content beforehand. I don’t follow DLC preorder bonuses because they’ve haven’t been that great. I do see it queue up with the preload. I’ve seen that every year. I’ll redeem whatever I get, but it’s usually locked in with my preorder.

Beta codes yes, consumables in game no. That’s what I think. I’ve gotten so many cosmetic, item boosts, and early unlocks but they’ve been in a queue. When I preorder digitally there’s typically 3-4 items that are the preorder bonuses right there after checkout. I’m usually not going to get a refund at that point.

I have preordered CoD physically and digitally since CoD4. I received my MW2 beta email weeks ago when I preordered on Amazon. At this point I could easily cancel my preorder.

Last edited:

CuNi

So my friend is a cheap ass and he is pre ordering destiny 2 lightfall and modern warfare 2 vault edition. He wants to take advantage of the bonuses.

Destiny 2, legendary emote, emblem and exotic weapon.

Modern warfare 2 you get skins to use in warzone. Early access to beta.

I know he pre order if he never downloads but if he access the pre order bonuses and uses them in destiny or warzone would they still give him a refund?

Same regarding the beta. His plan for mw2 is to use the skins on warzone, cancel the pre order before launch then buy the cheap edition at launch.
Most likely no.

I know of a friend who bought Artifact on Steam, which treats you to packs to open after launch.
He opened them, played 1-2 games, grew to hate the game and asked for a refund. They denied because he opened the packs which apparently have been part of the sale, and thus he wasn't eligible for a refund anymore.
Most likely, what will happen with your friend. If you redeem the pre-orders, you most likely won't be able to refund or if they are having a good day, will deduct whatever they think those things are worth from a possible refund, but that's a 1:10.000 chance or even less I'd say.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
A young guy at work told me he spent over 3 hundo on a knife skin for Apex :messenger_grimmacing_ then stopped playing the game a week later.

I have no reason to think he's lying because he's a moron with regards to buying status items, his trainers cost like 600 quid. That's on a wage of around a grand a month after tax, but ofc he has no bills due to living with parents still.
Walking disaster

Bragr

Banned
FIFA is mad like this, people use hundreds of dollars to buy online cards from each other. I know one guy who used over 1k on one card, just to have one famous player on their team in the first week. If he waited a week more, he could have gotten it for like 50 bucks.

Kuranghi

He's proud of it though. 4.5kd on warzone can't let women get in the way.

Ohhh lawd, that's so sad. I really really love computer games but crashing the yoghurt truck is a whole different matter, throughout history men have literally waged wars for a single piece of poon.

What age are you both? In the country where I'm from it's hard to keep your virginity past 18 even if you were an average height, glasses wearing, fake bearded, skinny boy like me.

Kerotan

Ohhh lawd, that's so sad. I really really love computer games but crashing the yoghurt truck is a whole different matter, throughout history men have literally waged wars for a single piece of poon.

What age are you both? In the country where I'm from it's hard to keep your virginity past 18 even if you were an average height, glasses wearing, fake bearded, skinny boy like me.
I'm 30 to with a kid so don't worry about me. He's a Muslim in England and doesn't want to lose his Virginity. Only 19 we're always making fun of him and banter about it.

Top Bottom