• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled Crash Team Racing 2010

Maybe they're just gonna redesign/reboot it.

You'll have to buy the game with a garage, in which you can insert racings karts you buy seperately and then you can use them in-game.

Just like Skylanders.

maybe not.

Splatt

Oh, that's the studio that made those crappy PSP spinoffs for Ratchet and Jak. No thanks, it's probably better it got cancelled.

It's still in the works. It just been reworked, to the point that you have to actually buy physical toys for each kart/character. Also Crash has been replaced by neo-Spyro.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Cancelled probably because they had the much cheaper Madagascar Kartz title in development (with us as it happened). Two games in a single category? Preposterous! Run with the licensed one (well, it did sell over 1m units at least).

The release of Sonic Sega All-Stars Racing may have influenced them too. Not to mention they were starting to eliminate the "middle" of their business around then.

Why?

Because most new Crash games suck. Nitro Kart sucked. Tag Team Racing was... actually pretty okay. Either way, I'm not surprised at all that Activision have seemingly dropped Crash for good.

Don't worry, he'll be back someday
in Skylanders 2

Just out of curiosity, how much do you guys think Crash is worth? Imagine if NaughtyDog bought the rights. I CAN DREAM.

Unless they can turn Crash into a realistic, happy go lucky scamp that knows how to operate a pistol and quips to himself whilst he murders people, I don't think ND would be interested. They have a perpetual fear of anything non-cinematic. Did you hear their plans for Jak 4? No thanks!

Why?

Because most new Crash games suck. Nitro Kart sucked. Tag Team Racing was... actually pretty okay. Either way, I'm not surprised at all that Activision have seemingly dropped Crash for good.

Don't worry, he'll be back someday
in Skylanders 2

I was actually surprised that they never made a Crash figurine for Skylanders.

I was actually surprised that they never made a Crash figurine for Skylanders.

I too am surprised, and eternally thankful. But it'll happen.

It was being developed by High Impact Games...which is made up of former NaughtyDog and Insomniac Games staff. : (

Eeehh... how much of the talent though? All High Impact seemed good at was replicating the game styles of others. The only game I really liked from them was Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, and even that had flaws.

High Impact Games isn't that great of a studios, even if they have former ND and Insomniac staff. Their PSP games are less than stellar, even if I like the first Ratchet on PSP, but that's because it was my first experience with the franchise. And knowing Activision, I'm not sure if they would have given HIG the time and care they need to produce a great game.

edit : I just checked the internet and found that they've released DREAMWORKS SUPER STAR KARTZ in 2011 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqID-jv1hJA
I guess they just used their works and changed the visuals.

Krabboss

That's too bad, but it's hard to say if the game would have been any good anyway. Crash hasn't been so good since he left ND, obviously. I imagine the brand isn't worth much anymore as a result, which is likely why this game was cancelled. Maybe some day we'll see somebody take a stab at the series again and get it right.

Radec

The sound of Crash Bandicoot when I put it inside my playstation 10 years ago was memorable.

I miss it this gen. :(

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Already have OG CTR on my PS3 so I'm set, thank you.

Besides, I frankly don't care about any post-Wrath of Cortex CB game.

The team had former ND people? Dang.

I feel like D'Angelo Barksdale asking Stringer Bell where
Wallace
was.

"Hey! Where Crash at? Where Crash at, Act'?! Huh!?"

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

waR13.png

7tOYC.png

BqQ1q.png

2vQqt.png

7fodf.png

QrU9f.png

QRKaj.jpg

8F3Kf.jpg

Cipherr

Who the hell cancels a Kart racer in THIS gen? MKWii sold like a billion copies. I never understood why folks didnt put out a ton of Kart racers this gen.

DGRE

Banned
Cancelled probably because they had the much cheaper Madagascar Kartz title in development (with us as it happened). Two games in a single category? Preposterous! Run with the licensed one (well, it did sell over 1m units at least).

The release of Sonic Sega All-Stars Racing may have influenced them too. Not to mention they were starting to eliminate the "middle" of their business around then.
Can't believe no one's acknowledged this yet. Pretty interesting stuff. I'm amazed your dream works kart game sold over a million.

Oh and where's that guy who was saying that Crash would revive the Vita? He needs to make an appearance in this thread.

Kinyou

Was there something special about the other Crash Team Racing? This looks just like some Mario Kart clone

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wish Sony would buy Crash and Spyro back, I really do think they could be good sellers, even today. Sony needs to appeal to that younger audience of this gen, and they need more than Sackboy to do that.

Why would they buy them "back"? They never owned them to begin with. Universal (Vivendi) owned both characters, and chose to work with Sony for publishing. :p

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
edit : I just checked the internet and found that they've released DREAMWORKS SUPER STAR KARTZ in 2011 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqID-jv1hJA
I guess they just used their works and changed the visuals.

We were in talks to do this, given we did Madagascar Kartz. In fact, when we first started talking to Activision about Madagascar Kartz it was actually supposed to cover more Dreamworks franchises but then they scaled it back (though it did include Shrek and Monsters vs Aliens characters and tracks). We ended up doing Madagascar Kartz from scratch in about 7 months across PS3, 360, and Wii for a very modest budget (it was a "value" title). It sold 1.2m units from the last report I've seen, and made Activision a ton of money.

Of course, rather than have us roll just onto a Dreamworks "sequel", they wouldn't give it to us unless we took on something else they wanted to farm out which we didn't want to touch (budget way too low and timeframe too short for us to do a quality game even by budget standards). So we walked away from it all.

Unfortunately, the contract we cut with Activision meant they had no source code or assets for the Madagascar game from us. So they had to build the Dreamworks game including all assets from scratch. It reviewed lower than our game.

So shortsighted. We were in a great position tech/asset wise and actually (strangely) really interested in doing a Madagascar Kartz "sequel", even given the paltry budget it would have had.

Top Bottom