• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled Dragon Ball Games

TreIII

Way too early to announce a console port of Zenkai.

So the best I'm hoping for is that either a) friggin Dimps is back in the saddle for a new fighting game or b) hell, maybe they got someone else to try their hand at a fighting game. I certainly wouldn't mind Craft & Meister + Arika getting another chance to make a DBZ fighting game. Super DBZ got a bad hand.

Big One

Banned
Takao said:
Dragon Ball GAME PROJECT AGE 2011 to be detailed in this week's Weekly Jump for PS3/360.

If it's another Spike game I will hurt someone...
Meh I love the Spike games. Problem with Dragonball fighting games, imo, is that they keep regressing back to old characters everytime there's a new series or installment. Personally I wish they'd just do a Spike Dragonball focused fighting game with Dragonball characters someday rather than just a bunch of Z characters.

Takao

Banned
TreIII said:
Way too early to announce a console port of Zenkai.

So the best I'm hoping for is that either a) friggin Dimps is back in the saddle for a new fighting game or b) hell, maybe they got someone else to try their hand at a fighting game. I certainly wouldn't mind Craft & Meister + Arika getting another chance to make a DBZ fighting game. Super DBZ got a bad hand.

Craft and Meister is working on an RPG for the Wii (that's a good idea...), and a Super DBZ 2 wouldn't be on PS3/360 first. Just like the original game it would be in the arcade.

TreIII

Big One said:
Meh I love the Spike games. Problem with Dragonball fighting games, imo, is that they keep regressing back to old characters everytime there's a new series or installment. Personally I wish they'd just do a Spike Dragonball focused fighting game with Dragonball characters someday rather than just a bunch of Z characters.

My problem with the Spike games is that they never seemed to go for more along the lines of what Zenkai (arcade game) finally seems to do: characters that actually do more to play differently from each other, as well as more dynamic interaction with the environment and attacks. Notice how they actually run along the ground in Zenkai, as opposed to hovering along the ground in all of the Sparking-style games. And I like how the "Mega Genki Dama" actually works more like it's supposed to in Zenkai. It's the kind of thing I would have expected to see in a "next-gen" Sparking style game.

Ah well. In any case, like I said before, whoever gets announced as this game's maker will likely be the determining factor of whether I stay interested or not.

Takao said:
Craft and Meister is working on an RPG for the Wii (that's a good idea...), and a Super DBZ 2 wouldn't be on PS3/360 first. Just like the original game it would be in the arcade.

Not necessarily. If Bamco wanted something different for a proposed "Super DBZ 2", they could certainly do just that. Not unlike how Soulcalibur has taken a decidedly different turn from Tekken, the latter staying much closer to their arcade-originating roots than SC does currently.

But in any case, unless it stands to be something truly surprising, it likely won't be a Super DBZ successor.

Aru

So since there's only one console DBZ game per year, no Raging Blast 3 until 2012 ?
Well, I don't mind because RB isn't as good as Tenkaichi 3 and I won't buy another DBZ game unless it's at least as great as T3.

A move-compatible DBZ game would be great but I guess it wouldn't work as good as on Wii because of the lack of motion controls in the Nav Controller.
Kinect ? No thanks.

I have learned last generation that its best to buy the final iteration of a DBZ game per generation. If RB3 has a more stacked roster than T3 than I will bite.

Takao

Banned
The scan for Dragon Ball GAME PROJECT AGE 2011 is out now, and it looks a lot like Raging Blast. UGHASDaSDFSADFGSDFSDadsfsadfsdfaswhothefuckwantedthisshitsdgdsfgsdfgdsfgs I'll post a thread once we get a translation and stuff since I don't want to be banned and create a thread with nothing.

udivision

Haven't all DBZ games been struggling to sell past 100k? But even with that, I guess I shouldn't be surprised they're still making new ones.

Takao

Banned
udivision said:
Haven't all DBZ games been struggling to sell past 100k? But even with that, I guess I shouldn't be surprised they're still making new ones.

Maybe in a single market now. But for Atari, Dragon Ball was huge (Like 20+ million units huge), and the main console games always sold more than a million with them (and they only had the license for North America, and parts of Europe). Since Bandai has taken the franchise there has been huge drops, but not to 100k WW.

Aru

DBZ games sell a lot more in NA and EU these days. Didn't RB sold at least a million units WW ? I remember reading something like that in a NBGI report.
DB/DBZ isn't popular anymore in Japan... Kai's audience was so low they had to stop the show :(

Takao

Banned
Aru said:
DBZ games sell a lot more in NA and EU these days. Didn't RB sold at least a million units WW ? I remember reading something like that in a NBGI report.
DB/DBZ isn't popular anymore in Japan... Kai's audience was so low they had to stop the show :(

Kai's ratings are higher than most Toei productions, and it often rivaled One Piece in viewership (something that Toriko - it's replacement - hasn't been able to do as of yet). The problem came from the fact that Kai wasn't pushing much merchandise. As Kai was a cheap cash-in with no original content there was nothing to motivate the Japanese public to purchase character goods when they've been buying more or less the exact same stuff on and off for the past 25 years. Dragon Ball will be taking a break in Japan, but it will return, and claim its spot in popularity once again.

As for Raging Blast, the last report I read was that Scamco shoved 600k into store. RB2 did not reach that level.

Aru

Dragon Ball needs a true remake. Kai was great, but it was really the minimum they could do to the series. It's still nice to watch a faster paced anime with almost no filler.
I wish there were "Kai versions" of major popular anime like One Piece, Bleach or Naruto :(

Oh well, back on topic. I saw the scan and yeah, it looks a lot like RB.
Sigh, gives the series a rest already. The best selling DBZ game was Budokai 1 because it came a lot of time after the last DB game was released.

I think they shouldn't release any DB/DBZ game for at least 5 years to raise interest in the series again.

Takao

Banned
Aru said:
Dragon Ball needs a true remake. Kai was great, but it was really the minimum they could do to the series. It's still nice to watch a faster paced anime with almost no filler.
I wish there were "Kai versions" of major popular anime like One Piece, Bleach or Naruto :(

Oh well, back on topic. I saw the scan and yeah, it looks a lot like RB.
Sigh, gives the series a rest already. The best selling DBZ game was Budokai 1 because it came a lot of time after the last DB game was released.

I think they shouldn't release any DB/DBZ game for at least 5 years to raise interest in the series again.

The best selling Dragon Ball game is actually Budokai 3, or believe it or not, Tenkaichi 3 going off of shipment data, and offhand remarks from the publishers. They should be upwards of a couple million units each. Not really surprising given those two are (more or less) the completely revised versions of their fighting systems and are usually the games people say were their last Dragon Ball game.

I'm just not sure why they're going back to Raging Blast again (and trying to hide it under some codename, it's probably friggin' Raging Blast 3). The RB series combined have likely sold less than Burst Limit's worldwide total (neither shipped a million, where as Burst Limit did that in a few months, and didn't completely stop selling after that).

As for Kai, I'm honestly quite happy it failed. It seemed Toei wanted to take the approach of just remastering, editing, and doing new ADR production of a lot of old material as a business plan for the future. Granted, Dragon Ball was over-exposed prior to the start of Kai, so they might still go ahead with properties that haven't been in the spotlight recently.

udivision

Aru said:

But people might forget about DBZ if that happened. That's why I love fillers so much. Without them I'd forget about the show if it just went on breaks and stuff. Yup, makes so much sense.

Sarcasm aside, here are the Japanese 2010 figures from recent DBZ games.

130. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 (Bandai Namco) {2010.11.11} - 86.890 / 86.890
190. [PSP] Dragon Ball: TAG VS (Bandai Namco) {2010.09.30} - 55.069 / 55.069
195. [NDS] Dragon Ball DS 2 (Bandai Namco) {2010.02.11} - 53.565 / 53.565
225. [WII] Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! METEOR [Everyone's Recommendation Selection] (Bandai Namco) {2010.02.25} - 45.364 / 45.364
489. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (Bandai Namco) {2009.11.12} - 15.728 / 118.821
705. [WII] Dragon Ball: Tenka-ichi Dai-bouken (Bandai Namco) {2009.07.23} - 9.243 / 43.112

EDIT: I guess the world wild sales would be a lot more respectable.

Top Bottom