• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled Dragon Ball Games

Oreoleo

Crunched said:
Maybe I'm in the minority in thinking that way. I haven't ever seen GT, so I can't speak to that, but I think Dragon Ball overall is a better series than Dragon Ball Z.

Call me old fashioned, but the Pilaf saga in Dragonball is better than anything else that came after.

Xav

DragonBall as a whole should of ended after the Cell saga. The Buu saga sucked and GT as a whole was awful.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Big One said:
I would love something like this, but not sure if it could be done if it actually follows the series from beginning to finish considering you have the factor that Goku - for the most part - worked on his own throughout the series.

Solution: Forget Goku and instead do an RPG chronicling the heroics of the Great Saiyaman!

NeonZ

Big One said:
True but Kai was primarily based on a period not covered in the Dragonball anime/manga so it kind of worked. I think something like this could work for a Tales of-esque RPG, maybe leading up to a certain saga. I could imagine an expanded version of the very first arc could work well with Goku, Bulma, Yamcha, Krillin, Master Roshi as party members.

The beginning is the least popular part of the show though. As far as DB(no Z) goes, the Red Ribbon and Piccolo Daimao arcs seem to be the most popular ones.

I kind of wish to see a direct sequel to last gen's Tenkaichi games, but, aside from that, I have no interest in a DB/Z fighting game at this point.

As far as other possibilities go, I'd like to see a DB RPG with a lot of expanded story, like the Kai game, but going through at least the entire Cell Saga, possibly with an extra story afterwards even. That would solve the issue regarding limited character presence, considering how everyone could be available for the expanded story parts.

Takao

Banned
The Broken Ska Record said:
Fusion Reborn is probably the best DBZ movie. It's so fucking off the wall, it's great.

Movie 12 is my favourite as well. It's just a completely crazy movie.

Big One said:
True but Kai was primarily based on a period not covered in the Dragonball anime/manga so it kind of worked. I think something like this could work for a Tales of-esque RPG, maybe leading up to a certain saga. I could imagine an expanded version of the very first arc could work well with Goku, Bulma, Yamcha, Krillin, Master Roshi as party members.

Problem with that is the Pilaf Saga is a short one, and it would likely be seen as Scamco milking more money. I'd love to see them do it though. The Tales graphic engine is bright and vivid enough to work with Dragon Ball, but it makes too much sense for them to do.

Crunched said:
I think Dragon Ball is more thematically consistent than Dragon Ball Z. It's almost always lighthearted. DBZ is weird for me. The seriousness seems to clash with the irreverent parts. It starts strong, but once Namek is introduced it stumbles.

Maybe I'm in the minority in thinking that way. I haven't ever seen GT, so I can't speak to that, but I think Dragon Ball overall is a better series than Dragon Ball Z.

Oh, I'm very much in the camp that prefers the lighthearted Dragon Ball compared to the super serious stuff like the Cell Saga. It's just that I'm arguing that Dragon Ball from the beginning was over the top sillyness, and things like fusion, and the Buu saga (a saga I legitimately enjoy) are at home in existing within Dragon Ball.

GT's very much like Z as well. It goes back and forth a lot. It starts off trying to be Dragon Ball, but poor ratings led it to take the super serious tone of Cell stuff. If given the time I really do think GT could've been good. As it is now GT is just a bunch of good ideas done poorly.

NeonZ said:
I kind of wish to see a direct sequel to last gen's Tenkaichi games, but, aside from that, I have no interest in a DB/Z fighting game at this point.

That exists. It's called Raging Blast. The series is still arena-based, and made by the same developer.

Red

Orellio said:
Call me old fashioned, but the Pilaf saga in Dragonball is better than anything else that came after.
Pilaf is the king, right? The first antagonist of the series? I did like that arc. It's been a while since I've seen it so my memory might be off.

I guess the reason I like Dragon Ball more than Z is because DB is a quest story. It's a coming of age tale, and it illustrates a journey. There is fighting in it, but it's used an element to progress the story. Once Z comes around, story is used as an excuse to highlight the fighting. Wasn't for me. I thought it got stupid, and ultimately wound up with a handful of guys yelling at rocks and popping in and out of sight randomly. The same punching animations were used over and over again. I got bored of it.

That said, I'd pretty clearly prefer a solid DBZ RPG than I would another fighting game. I agree that the Legend of Goku games were solid. Something like that, with an expanded combat system and more plot elements, would be a buy for me.

NeonZ

That exists. It's called Raging Blast. The series is still arena-based, and made by the same developer.

That's why I mentioned "direct" sequel. Raging Blast is like a Tenkaichi 4 gameplay-wise (although some changes just made it worse), but it actually lost many characters in that transition and not even the second game had as many characters as last gen's Tenkaichi games.

Takao

Banned
ant1532 said:
Can there be a dragonball thread without people bitching about where they thought it should have ended?

Probably not.

So hope that none of those Cell believers watch Kai.

Takao

Banned
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
If Goku didn't pull the victory from nowhere the 13 would easily be the best.

I didn't really care for Harudagon as a villian. Janemba is just amazing.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Celsior said:
Sagas was suppose to go through all the DBZ Sagas but it was such a shit game and sold like shit that idea died.
I was always interested in that game from a distance, and this thread spurred me to check out some videos. WOW does it look bad. There is almost literally no music, and what's there is just a low drone. Real exciting, guys.

Takao said:
Most voice acting in English anime is good. Dragon Ball and Digimon's dubs were just done in another time where the stuff was solely aimed at children. With the Texas dub of Dragon Ball Z in particular the show was dubbed by people who were picked off the street in an insane amount of time without any money. Sound engineers became major parts of the cast (hello Chris Sabat), etc. It was never going to be a quality product thanks to those conditions.

However, there's almost always been an uncut version of Dragon Ball in English, and Japanese in print in North America. As well, the English dub of Kai is pretty good. Too bad it's Kai, lol.

Thanks, and good to know!

The Budokai games were amazing. Still bummed to this day that 3 never made it to the GC, but that was obviously due to the disc space, as quite a bit of content was already cut from the final PS2 game IIRC.

I actually love GT. Its silly parts are hilariously ridiculous, and the transformations in the latter half are pretty badass.

Best DB game for my money is Budokai Tenkaichi 3; much better than the Raging Blast series, especially the second one which doesn't even look like an anime anymore.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I remember when I bought a JPN PS1 for Final Bout and Legends. Maybe one of my most memorable childhood experiences. Unlocking SSJ4 Goku code FTW!

Man..DBZ...you'll always be the best. So many memories.

Takao

Banned
Yottamol said:
Still wondering why Ultimate Butoden was not released outside of Japan (the DS fighting game). Hope it's still got a chance.

It didn't sell that well in Japan (then again, you have to go back to 2009 to find a Dragon Ball game that sold well in Japan), and the DS's marketplace probably isn't what Scamco hoped. I'm pretty concerned actually about the franchise as a whole, because around this point last year we had already heard about Tenkaichi Tag Team, and Raging Blast 2, yet we've got nothing.

Teknoman

Just make a really great Dragon Ball Z open world beat em up with high quality Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 level graphics and a great soundtrack.

TreIII

Takao said:
I'm pretty concerned actually about the franchise as a whole, because around this point last year we had already heard about Tenkaichi Tag Team, and Raging Blast 2, yet we've got nothing.

There is that arcade game that will be released in Japan by this summer (accounting for any possible delays due to the quake).

Dragon Ball Zenkai Battle Royale Trailer
Dragon Ball Zenkai Battle Royale: Gameplay 1
Dragon Ball Zenaki Battle Royale: Gameplay 4

With it being based on the System 357 generation of hardware, a PS3/360 release will be imminent. And maybe sooner rather than later, considering Bamco will likely want this game to be in the hands of prospective Western DBZ fans' hands sooner rather than later.

-Eddman-

At some point in 94/95, Super Butouden 2 was supposed to be realeased in America, or at least in Latin America. Even the official latin Nintendo magazine (Club Nintendo) gave it the cover article and some coverage. This adaptation was later cancelled.

A few years after that, pirated cartridges of both Super Botouden 2 and 3 became quite popular in Mexico.

shaowebb

I still want Dragonball vs Capcom to happen. You know they want to see Ryu and Goku on the box beam battling as much as the rest of us ;)

Big One

Banned
shaowebb said:
I still want Dragonball vs Capcom to happen. You know they want to see Ryu and Goku on the box beam battling as much as the rest of us ;)
Dude the DBZ characters are way too OP for the Capcom characters. Let's restrict it to Jump vs Capcom

Xav said:
DragonBall as a whole should of ended after the Cell saga. The Buu saga sucked and GT as a whole was awful.
You're going to love Kai then

Big One said:
Dude the DBZ characters are way too OP for the Capcom characters. Let's restrict it to Jump vs Capcom
Marvel vs Capcom shows that relative power levels are worthless anyway. Just do it.

Yottamol said:
Still wondering why Ultimate Butoden was not released outside of Japan (the DS fighting game). Hope it's still got a chance.

From a presentation and execution stand point this game looks very solid on the DS hardware.

Takao said:
It didn't sell that well in Japan (then again, you have to go back to 2009 to find a Dragon Ball game that sold well in Japan), and the DS's marketplace probably isn't what Scamco hoped. I'm pretty concerned actually about the franchise as a whole, because around this point last year we had already heard about Tenkaichi Tag Team, and Raging Blast 2, yet we've got nothing.

.....I'm importing this game.

ant1532

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
From a presentation and execution stand point this game looks very solid on the DS hardware.

.....I'm importing this game.
It is really dope. Only thing is you have to remember your importing a handheld fighting game. It will get boring unless you have a friend who has the game to play against.

Takao

Banned
TreIII said:
There is that arcade game that will be released in Japan by this summer (accounting for any possible delays due to the quake).

Dragon Ball Zenkai Battle Royale Trailer
Dragon Ball Zenkai Battle Royale: Gameplay 1
Dragon Ball Zenaki Battle Royale: Gameplay 4

With it being based on the System 357 generation of hardware, a PS3/360 release will be imminent. And maybe sooner rather than later, considering Bamco will likely want this game to be in the hands of prospective Western DBZ fans' hands sooner rather than later.

I don't really see Arcade releases as indictive of what will happen in the console space or we'd have a whole tonne of characters in a Budokai game for Wii thanks to all the Datacarddas games.

Anth0ny

Dragon Ball's popularity is kinda dying in Japan. Looks like we're going to be getting less and less games.

Then, we'll get the inevitable revival in a few years. Remember when the first Budokai game came out? Shit started an era.

Takao

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Dragon Ball's popularity is kinda dying in Japan. Looks like we're going to be getting less and less games.

Then, we'll get the inevitable revival in a few years. Remember when the first Budokai game came out? Shit started an era.

The thing is that those games were created to feed Western demand (just look at where the first Budokai ends - and the fact games would be released in the US first). In a few years, who will be demanding more? Every market will have been saturated thanks to Scamco and Toei.

TreIII

Takao said:
I don't really see Arcade releases as indictive of what will happen in the console space or we'd have a whole tonne of characters in a Budokai game for Wii thanks to all the Datacarddas games.

Again, I think it's just too much of a good thing for Bamco to pass up. Especially since porting would be easy, and the game would be a nice further test in utilizing GGPO in a 3D fighting game.

But in any case, why worry? Dragon Ball's not going any where. Even if it goes in remission for a few years, there will always be a way to find a means to make money off of the series. It's more than likely a thing that they just need to take a hint already and pull back a bit. Especially in the game department.

people who liked budokai 3 need to play infinite world. it was like an expansion / budokai 3 + dlc. single player mode was the best there ever was in a dragonball game. since the game came out when people were expecting the current gen dbz on ps3/x360 and anticipating budokai tenkaichi 3 (or were already burned by them, can't remember), this game got no attention. it was great though

Takao said:
The thing is that those games were created to feed Western demand (just look at where the first Budokai ends - and the fact games would be released in the US first). In a few years, who will be demanding more? Every market will have been saturated thanks to Scamco and Toei.
dbz will probably get a proper remake in the next decade. once that happens, i can see demand for more games

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Takao said:
Sound engineers became major parts of the cast (hello Chris Sabat)

But his voice is good for a laugh or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPQr1OLmihA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Plus it could have been worse. What if the voice actors that worked on Dragonball Final Bout got a hold of the show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r97xXROf7k&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiEqVUD03Yc&feature=watch_response

Green Biker Dude said:
this game got no attention. it was great though

Oh it did alright.

48/100 on Metacritic
49.82% on Game Rankings

The negative kind.

Alx

gwDuz.jpg

I'll always have a thing for flat-shaded polygons... it's probably mainly nostalgia, but I think I also like how it's so bright and clear.

PumpkinPie said:
I'm amazed they've never made a proper RPG for modern consoles, they obviously don't like money.

They could get ubisoft to make it, they have got the Naruto 360 engine collecting dust which would also fit Dragonball

NeonZ

Green Biker Dude said:
dbz will probably get a proper remake in the next decade. once that happens, i can see demand for more games

I don't see why a remake would get products that sell any better than Kai's. People did watch the show, they just didn't buy merchandising because there was nothing really new. Unless you're talking about bringing the series back 10 or 20 years from now, Toei and Bandai pretty much will need to create actual new content if they want to sell more DB merchandising.

Of course, considering how they burned the franchise with GT, I guess they're really hesitant to make actual new content again.

I really liked the Legacy of Goku series, perfect game for a DBZ nut at the time.

The sequels were way better than the first, but I played right through all of them. I remember being so disappointed when I found out the GT one was something different. :|

While DBZ doesn't hold as much interest to me these days (don't hate it or anything, just, you know, not still currently going etc) that didn't stop me liking Attack of the Saiyans! I get so sick of Anime fighting games, love me some RPG/adventure (or even platform brawler) type things instead.

Also <3 Monolith Soft so, woo woo!

I just have to say for the umpteenth time that I need a sequel to Super DBZ. That game's only problem is that it came out before Street Fighter 4 brought it back. If it would've came out after that we'd have 2 or 3 sequels with Rilldo in it. It's a damn shame how much that game got slept on by people. Gotta be in my top 3 DBZ games which include Budokai 3 and Hyper Dimension. Scamco has gotta let Arika get back on that.

nephilimdj said:
They could get ubisoft to make it, they have got the Naruto 360 engine collecting dust which would also fit Dragonball
I loved the ubi naruto games, a DB game on the broken bond engine would be rather cool but they need to fix face animations, damn son!

ReXXXSoprano said:
I just have to say for the umpteenth time that I need a sequel to Super DBZ. That game's only problem is that it came out before Street Fighter 4 brought it back. If it would've came out after that we'd have 2 or 3 sequels with Rilldo in it. It's a damn shame how much that game got slept on by people. Gotta be in my top 3 DBZ games which include Budokai 3 and Hyper Dimension. Scamco has gotta let Arika get back on that.

Until we get a proper sequel to the bolded it won't be done. I honestly think the proper DBZ games were Super DBZ, Hyper Dimensions, & Burst Limit. These games were close to as pure 2d fighting as they can get. If they looked back at these games and took all mechanics we could have a highly competitive and executional DBZ fighting game. I think this is the natural progression that needs to come by.

ant1532 said:
It is really dope. Only thing is you have to remember your importing a handheld fighting game. It will get boring unless you have a friend who has the game to play against.

Meh, game's still too pretty for me to get bored that fast. I've watched youtube videos far too long to think otherwise.

Urban Scholar said:
Until we get a proper sequel to the bolded it won't be done. I honestly think the proper DBZ games were Super DBZ, Hyper Dimensions, & Burst Limit. These games were close to as pure 2d fighting as they can get. If they looked back at these games and took all mechanics we could have a highly competitive and executional DBZ fighting game. I think this is the natural progression that needs to come by.
I agree 100%. We're long overdue for another game like Hyper Dimension. I'd love to see it on the Virtual Console or another game that emulates its style. The problem is a lot of the fans don't appreciate games like HD and Super DBZ because you actually need some skill to play it on any level versus Sparkling/RB which doesn't have that issue out the gate. And I'm still in wonderment as of why there hasn't been a BL2. The first one was just the epitome of those games and was damn good to boot. Need to see the Buu Saga, the movies and GT dealt with in that engine. Just for the justice that could be done with Drama Pieces. Maybe one day.

ReXXXSoprano said:
My favourite DBZ games are Budokai 3 and HD, guess I need to try Super then!

The best Dragon Ball games I have played are the ones on the DS and the Wii:

• Dragon Ball: Origins
  • Dragon Ball: Origins 2
  • Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Picollo
  • Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans

Way way better than the fighting games on the HD consoles.

ReXXXSoprano said:
I agree 100%. We're long overdue for another game like Hyper Dimension. I'd love to see it on the Virtual Console or another game that emulates its style. The problem is a lot of the fans don't appreciate games like HD and Super DBZ because you actually need some skill to play it on any level versus Sparkling/RB which doesn't have that issue out the gate. And I'm still in wonderment as of why there hasn't been a BL2. The first one was just the epitome of those games and was damn good to boot. Need to see the Buu Saga, the movies and GT dealt with in that engine. Just for the justice that could be done with Drama Pieces. Maybe one day.

I think that's the problem right there unfortunately. You understand where I'll come from with this. I earnestly think we do need DBZ games in the vein of Street Fighter, this is when the games are at their most attention grabbing. I should note that the aforementioned game also featured designs that weren't seen again. The DBZ games need a reboot or refresher again. I'm in favor of DBZ taking a year or two off to revive itself with something fresh. The yearly gear turning is being reflected in the games we get. Personally I haven't been excited for a DBZ since the new DS one in Japan and before was burst limit. On a final note I THINK The new arcade one looks novel, hope it gets adapted to consoles.

Top Bottom