• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Candy Crush Saga trademark challenged by Cut the Rope dev

Cut the Rope developer ZeptoLab “has begun the process of cancelling King.com’s registration of ‘candy’ in the European Union”, according to a statement quoted by GamesIndustry.

“Candy is an integral part of the Cut the Rope franchise,” said ZeptoLab CEO Misha Lyalin. “And we do not support King.com trademarking and preventing others from using it.”

Following major criticism in and outside the games industry, King withdrew its US application for a trademark on the word “Candy”, but the European equivalent was maintained.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/26/candy-crush-saga-trademark-challenged-by-cut-the-rope-dev/

Zomba13

Cut the Rope is my favourite of the smart-phone casual games. So much better than Angry Birds.

King really shouldn't have a trademark on Candy in regards to videogames. It's way too broad and just stupid. Good to see a dev challenging it.

Eusis

Cut the Rope is my favourite of the smart-phone casual games. So much better than Angry Birds.

King really shouldn't have a trademark on Candy in regards to videogames. It's way too broad and just stupid. Good to see a dev challenging it.
They shouldn't be going after single words period, just entire names, at least not when they aren't using those words alone as the name as Square did. Bullshit that they tried to trademark Saga when so many damn games use it, and nearly all of them to better use than those shits ever did.

Roo

That's hilarious haha I hope they win even though this seems like patent trolling

Patenting the word "candy" was a fucked up move from King in first place.
They deserve to lose this case, trolling or not. It's bullshit.

Amagon

Begun, the candy wars have

Q2Mk9Mo.jpg

It begins!

WedgeX

Banned
You'd think that CandyLand would have sent Gloppy the Molasses Monster right after king's trademark lawyers.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yummy
Yummy
Yummy
I got love in my tummy

kJ5lW.gif

But yeah I am glad this is getting challenged, it's stupid how they were able to trademark the word candy.

Top Bottom