• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cannot launch P.T. anymore, despite having kept it on my hard drive.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
We know that Konami has removed P.T. from the PlayStation Store, and that you cannot download it anymore, even if you had "bought" it when it as still active. For that reason, I kept my installation of P.T. and have not changed anything. I haven't deleted save games, haven't changed my hard drive, nor done anything else to that installation. It worked before, even after Konami had removed the game from the store.

Now though, all of the sudden, I cannot start the game anymore. This is what happens when I try:

FtRqAXD.gif

Restoring licenses via the settings does not help.

Haven't found any info using the forum search. Do your copies still work?

/edit: PS, I am using the German PSN Store.

/edit2:

Explanation

The accepted theory is that the cause of my problem is that in Germany P.T. is bound to a PS+ membership, in order to indirectly check the age restriction of the game, since you have to be at least 18 years old here to get PS+. Apparently, when you renew your PS+ subscription, it is handled by Sony's systems as if you had unsubscribed and then immediately subscribed again. That causes the system to register a lapse in your subscription. Consequently, all licenses on your console are invalidated and subsequently restored. Since P.T. isn't on the store anymore, restoring license for that game fails, leading to a worthless local copy.

ElTorro

German version? It's tied to PS Plus there. Maybe that expired for you.

I have a PS Plus subscription with automatic renewal. That shouldn't be the problem.

/edit: Although I remember that the first try to charge my credit card had failed, because for some reason the transaction triggered a security lock at VISA. I had to call my bank and tell them to clear that transaction. Uh, maybe that fucked something up and invalidated the license for a short time.

Dio

Banned
I love that people care so much about this demo.

Yeah, it's historic and has been elevated by the fact that P.T. will never be a full game. It's videogame history and Konami doesn't like that people still care about it.

Same problem for me although I'm still a PS+ member. This really sucks.

Did you renew recently?

Isn't the way PS+ works on PSN that you lose the games at the end of whatever membership you've bought, then it "re-purchases" them when you start the next one - even if you auto-renew. That's why everyone's download lists are screwed up when PS+ renews.

Maybe when you lose the PT license, PS+ can't get it back.

ElTorro

Did you renew recently?

Isn't the way PS+ works on PSN that you lose the games at the end of whatever membership you've bought, then it "re-purchases" them when you start the next one - even if you auto-renew. That's why everyone's download lists are screwed up when PS+ renews.

Maybe when you lose the PT license, PS+ can't get it back.

That would really suck if true, but it would make sense. I renewed PS+ recently.

Same here, also in Germany. Realized it a couple of weeks ago. When I lock in with the account of a friend on my console I can still launch it.

Fuck you Konami.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I should probably use the Hdd backup function to keep this, yes?

Even if I have to restore it in many years and re download anything else, It would be worth it...

ElTorro

Is P.T. bound to PS+ in all regions? Apparently, that is what fucks up the license once the subscription renews.

Is P.T. bound to PS+ in all regions? Apparently, that is what fucks up the license once the subscription renews.

No. It's only bound to PS+ in Germany. I can't remember the reason why this is the case.

Edit: GUYS, quit it with the sky is falling FUD and nonsense. YES, this is a real problem for German PSN users but there's no need to bust out conspiracy theories about trojans in MGS5 and the like.

Edit 2: Ah yes, Bombshell has the correct reason below.

bombshell

No, only Germany.

Sony can't give away 18+ rated content for free in Germany, so they tie it to PS+ which requires the user to be 18 years old.

driver116

Hopefully a PC ver leaks one day and we can preserve this iconic piece of gaming history. That or somehow Sony develops the IP themselves??(Longshot)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hopefully a PC ver leaks one day and we can preserve this iconic piece of gaming history. That or somehow Sony develops the IP themselves??(Longshot)
Well, the code for this demo is not going anywhere. Pirates already have it backed up. We just can't run the code on a PS4 yet.

Eventually they'll crack a way to run unsigned code to be run on PS4 and/or there will be a PS4 emulator.

Though having said that.. it's just a tiny little experience with a huge mindshare... And something that really only mattered because of the bigger game that it hinted at. But just saying, there's nothing about P.T. that will be "lost".

Alphahawk

I imagine that PS Plus doesn't hold on to the downloads "just in case" you renew. The programs just probably going to the store and downloading everything over again, which would mean that it had no way of retrieving the P.T demo. Essentially the system just thinks you deleted it.

Top Bottom