• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom + 360 = Match made in sales heaven

snatches

I just got out of a Capcom conference call this morning and their rep here is claiming that they will ship nearly a million copies of Dead Rising for 360 by the end of September, based on production capacity and retailer orders. That means that an original IP for the 360 has sold better than powerhouse franchises like RE4 for PS2 and GC and other titles like DMC. Speaking of DMC, he mentioned that Capcom USA is rallying Capcom Japan to release DMC4 for the 360 day and date with the PS3 version.

Personally, I think Capcom is really on a roll lately and they have always been one of my favorite developers. Having a company like this realize the money that can be made on western themed IP's on strong western systems like 360 is great news for gamers. Also, to hear that all of their major franchises (RE4, DMC4) could receive equal treatment on 360 is great news for 360 owners. I wonder if Konami will look at these results and follow suit? Square Enix? Who knows. It sure is a major turnaround from Capcom's support last gen. The Xbox got no Capcom love. Dino Crisis anyone?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
snatches said:
I just got out of a Capcom conference call this morning and their rep here is claiming that they will ship nearly a million copies of Dead Rising for 360 by the end of September, based on production capacity and retailer orders. That means that an original IP for the 360 has sold better than powerhouse franchises like RE4 for PS2 and GC and other titles like DMC. Speaking of DMC, he mentioned that Capcom USA is rallying Capcom Japan to release DMC4 for the 360 day and date with the PS3 version.

Personally, I think Capcom is really on a roll lately and they have always been one of my favorite developers. Having a company like this realize the money that can be made on western themed IP's on strong western systems like 360 is great news for gamers. Also, to hear that all of their major franchises (RE4, DMC4) could receive equal treatment on 360 is great news for 360 owners. I wonder if Konami will look at these results and follow suit? Square Enix? Who knows. It sure is a major turnaround from Capcom's support last gen. The Xbox got no Capcom love. Dino Crisis anyone?

should I buy a ps3? DMC is my system-seller.... hmmmm. It was so much easier with ps2/xbox/gc :(

Amir0x

Banned
I hope, if any of this turns true, that development remains single platform and then ported after - multiplatform always ruins overarching efforts.

Nozi

Banned
snatches said:
he mentioned that Capcom USA is rallying Capcom Japan to release DMC4 for the 360 day and date with the PS3 version.

phil_harrison.jpg

snatches said:

Sweet Jackrabbit Jazz.

Out of curiosity, how does this whole Game Industry work? Does MS make any money off a game like Dead Rising?

3rdman

I've always thought that had they given a solid title to the Xbox, it would have had a better chance at selling than Steel Battalions and Genma Onimusha could muster. But that probably had more to do with their alliance with Nintendo last gen than any other factor.

In any case, good news! I always respected them for not playing favorites (for the most part) and I'll look forward to playing Lost Planet once I'm done with Dead Rising. Congrats to them!

Odysseus

Banned
This is a postive development for gamers. As I said in another thread, if we can't get a one console future, then the death of exclusives is the next best thing.

Does Capcom USA really have the power to peruse Capcom Japan to port a title to another console?? Isn't that sort of thing controlled by the shareholders/money hats?

Elios83

1 million Dead Rising by September?
Wow this game is the new Halo :lol :lol *

*I would expect real sales datas,thanks :D

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
he mentioned that Capcom USA is rallying Capcom Japan to release DMC4 for the 360 day and date with the PS3 version.

If this ends up being true, Ninjer Gaiden will have to be all, "Whhaaaaa?"

3rdman

BenjaminBirdie said:
Sweet Jackrabbit Jazz.

Out of curiosity, how does this whole Game Industry work? Does MS make any money off a game like Dead Rising?

Yes...royalty fees are paid on each game sold.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
McBacon said:
But it's going to be easier with just Xbox 360/Wii

lollematic

I ain't gettin' a wii unless I see some major support of old school controllers.

snatches

Doom_Bringer said:
Does Capcom USA really have the power to peruse Capcom Japan to port a title to another console?? Isn't that sort of thing controlled by the shareholders/money hats?

Good point. I would bet that after these results that shareholders will also be putting pressure on Capcom Japan to release DMC4 on 360.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
snatches said:
Dino Crisis anyone?
They did a pretty decent job trying to support the xbox out of the gate. Onimusha port, original stuff like Tekki, and Dino Crisis certainly had a lot of xbox fans jazzed that it was coming before the release of the game. Not really fair to say they didn't try, esp. when you're speaking about only one game on the 360 in contrast.

Kabuki Waq said:
hopefully Lost planet will turn out to be awesome and sells really well.

Rolling Thunder, baby!

To further add to my salesing questioneros, who makes more money; the makers of a console that sells less systems but more software, or vice-versa?

That's interesting news. As stated in other threads the XBox360 software tie in ratio is doing quite well. If MSFT can get more units out there and get an even larger user base, then more developers will be showng the love. Right now as it stands, any software released on the platform seems to do very well retail (with a few exceptions). It'll be interesting to see how this trend hold up when the competition gets into the mix.

Based on buzz, I expect Lost Planet to do insanely well when it hits retail, and I hope we get some new info on RE5. That E3 marketplace demo did wonders for creating a good overall impression of the game. So far, all of Capcoms efforts on the XBox360 seem to be well polished and they seem to be giving the console some consideration. Those are amazing numbers for Dead Rising, I wonder how well it will seel overall.

I wonder if someoen could talk Capcom into doing a series of compilation discs. I was peaking in a Dreamcast thread earlier, and I would love to have some ports or new remakes of various Capcom titles (especially those that were online) for the DC in Japan (i.e. Tech Romancer, Spawn: In the Demons Hand, Heavy Metal, Rival Schools/Project Justice, Power Stone, Vs. fighting games, etc.)

Devil May Cry 4 IMO won't be as huge sales wise as Dead Rising. DMC especially after DMC3 seems to be aimed at the hardcore gamer market which loves difficult games.

Great news about the sales though, Resident Evil 4 was pretty good. GO CAPCOM!

snatches

kaching said:
They did a pretty decent job trying to support the xbox out of the gate. Onimusha port, original stuff like Tekki, and Dino Crisis certainly had a lot of xbox fans jazzed that it was coming before the release of the game. Not really fair to say they didn't try, esp. when you're speaking about only one game on the 360 in contrast.

The point is their "A" teams were not doing Xbox development. You could make an argument with Onimusha but that was a sloppy port. If you love Capcom, as I do, it was another reason you HAD to have a PS2. Or Gamecube LOL.

Doom_Bringer said:
Devil May Cry 4 IMO won't be as huge sales wise as Dead Rising. DMC especially after DMC3 seems to be aimed at the hardcore gamer market which loves difficult games.

Dead Rising is very, extraordinarily, frustratingly, difficult.

bogg

Brobzoid said:
I ain't gettin' a wii unless I see some major support of old school controllers.
hehe then why do you want a wii?
anyway gooo capcom. the best third party developer oh yea thats right.

snatches

BenjaminBirdie said:
Rolling Thunder, baby!

To further add to my salesing questioneros, who makes more money; the makers of a console that sells less systems but more software, or vice-versa?

Well, typically consoles are sold at a loss and licensing fees for software is where the profit comes from. Whoever sells more software wins. That is why console platform holders such as Sony, MS, and Nintendo are always releasing stats for "attach rate". This shows how many profitable sales of accessories and games get sold for each "loss" due to a console sale.

rastex

Banned
Hearing of the success of Dead Rising and Chromehounds makes me extremely happy. Hardcore influential demographic FTW ;)

LevelNth

Banned
So, NikkoCitiGroup just raised their estimate of FY07 end worldwide shipments of DR to 800k from 660k, and that's all the way until next March, and yet now Capcom is going to ship a million in the US alone by next month?

rastex

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Geez, 1 game sells well and Capcom is obsessed with the 360?

Based on response to the demo, Lost Planet looks like it's going to do even better than DR.

DMC4 and RE5 on 360 plus some more Capcom XBLA goodness (Powerstone, Super Puzzle Fighter) would be fantastic.

hyp

as i've stated in many threads.... dead rising is my GOTY!

i'm glad inafune's efforts weren't wasted. but i think the true champ here is XBL marketplace. without the demo or videos i don't think there'd be much hype. i think the commercial is selling a ton of copies too.

thanks capcom, now feel confident in bringing some more exclusives to the 360. we love you long time.

Finish and optimize the PS3 version first, then port. Multiplatform is fine, dandy and good for gamers but don't get slack on me Capcom. Do it the RE4 way.

Top Bottom