• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies hitting the West [Digital Only Confirmed]

Looking at the australian prices it seems like I would be lucky to come across those prices. O_O

Argh, I would actually really want capcom to put the previous phoenix wright games on eshop, ironically enough.
The DS games arent region locked so you could import. Though I dont know the value difference between US and AU dollar so maybe that isnt feasible.

MCD

Why is it not possible to offer a physical release through online stores? I would buy it straight from Capcom.com if I have to.

OceanBlue

It's going to be weird making the switch from Kokone -> Athena when looking at promotional material, but it looks good so far. Not too excited about the return of the Marvel 3 VA, but I guess that isn't a big deal considering how good the rest of the game looks.

Has anyone ripped the music from the demo yet?

ikSS4xa6ziTqH.gif

Why is it not possible to offer a physical release through online stores? I would buy it straight from Capcom.com if I have to.

Because if they aren't expecting high demand, the cost of manufacturing would be quite high... or do you somehow believe Capcom could make money printing out games one at a time?

Could someone explain to me why Aksys is able to release virtues last reward physically on both the vita and 3ds but Capcom can't for this? Virtues last reward has alot of voice acting so would be harder to localise. Aksys is also a much smaller company and Ace attorney would have a larger fan base. Is Capcom just incompetent or am I missing something?

Also I have a U.S 3DS but live in Australia. Will I experience any hurdles trying to download this?
It's not the same situation at all. It might appear similar, but the major difference is that Aksys is a localization publisher. They did not develop VLR; they just picked up the distribution rights for the US and localized it. Capcom is not in the same position at all with Ace Attorney, and that creates a huge cost difference.

It's not the same situation at all. It might appear similar, but the major difference is that Aksys is a localization publisher. They did not develop VLR; they just picked up the distribution rights for the US and localized it. Capcom is not in the same position at all with Ace Attorney, and that creates a huge cost difference.

That sounds like to me Capcom has -less- costs than Aksys, not more. The question was why Aksys could afford a physical print run for VLR (on both the 3DS AND Vita, no less) but Capcom, a larger company with no middleman and more cash in hand, can't do the same for an established franchise.

M3d10n

That sounds like to me Capcom has -less- costs than Aksys, not more. The question was why Aksys could afford a physical print run for VLR (on both the 3DS AND Vita, no less) but Capcom, a larger company with no middleman and more cash in hand, can't do the same for an established franchise.

It's not about cost, it's about opportunity cost. Instead of spending dozens of thousands of dollars printing 5k~10k cartridges (whatever the minimum run Nintendo allows these days for 3DS games) they can spend it elsewhere they think might get a higher return.

I don't understand the obession with physical copies of games.

Nintendo's digital policies are hot garbage. I wouldn't mind if this was a Vita, Android, or iOS game that was digital-only.

It's not about cost, it's about opportunity cost. Instead of spending dozens of thousands of dollars printing 5k~10k cartridges (whatever the minimum run Nintendo allows these days for 3DS games) they can spend it elsewhere they think might get a higher return.

That relies on Capcom actually having better things to spend that money on, though. In reality, Capcom's potential expenses at the publishing end are effectively capped by the titles they have available to publish. And for something like AA, especially with a small upfront printrun supported by digital release, they'd be near-guaranteed to come out in the black either way, with the upfront expenditure and cash locked up in the transaction not much compared to Capcom's overall business.

What this actually comes down to is putting extreme risk avoidance over long-term franchise maintenance. Printing up carts does carry a risk -- even if a small one -- of putting out money upfront. Going digital will produce significantly less total profit (and overall sales and franchise growth) but cut out that minimal risk.

Salsa

Going digital will produce significantly less total profit (and overall sales and franchise growth) but cut out that minimal risk.

im not informed, but surely that's not so certain? keeping in mind that we're talking just US sales

how much did the games sold before in the west?

CaVaYeRo

Bad news for many fans: game will come out in English only. No Spanish, no German, no Italian, no French. This is really sad and like killing the game here in Spain.

Motohide Eshiro (producer) confirmed this at E3.

Capcom re-confirms decision for Europe.

I wish there was a last option for Nintendo to retail-publish/translate this. Localization was excellent for previous versions, and it's obviously a crucial part of the game. I wouldn't mind waiting one year more...

Glass Rebel

Bad news for many fans: game will come out in English only. No Spanish, no German, no Italian, no French. This is really sad and like killing the game here in Spain.

Motohide Eshiro (producer) confirmed this at E3.

Capcom re-confirms decision for Europe.

I wish there was a last option for Nintendo to retail-publish/translate this. Localization was excellent for previous versions, and it's obviously a crucial part of the game. I wouldn't mind waiting one year more...

Just wow.

Not that I'd have played it in German or anything but Capcom is really sending this out to die in European markets.

Top Bottom