• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Dead Rising: Chop Til' You Drop for US (Press Release inside)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
GOOOOOOOOO CAPCOM!

CAPCOM® ANNOUNCES DEAD RISINGTM: CHOP TIL YOU DROP
Wii Gamers Prepare For a Zombie Invasion

SAN MATEO, Calif. — July 21, 2008 — Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced that Dead Rising™: Chop Till You Drop is in development for the Wii™ home video game system. Based on the critically acclaimed Dead Rising™, which has sold in excess of one million units since its release in 2006, Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop is scheduled to hit store shelves this Winter.

Taking advantage of the same proven technology that brought Resident Evil® 4 so successfully to Wii, Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop delivers a more immersive, intuitive and interactive experience as players use the Wii Remote to shoot, slash and bludgeon their way through a zombie infested shopping mall, fighting for survival.

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop follows the harrowing tale of Frank West, an overly zealous freelance journalist on a hunt for the scoop of a lifetime. In pursuit of a juicy lead, he makes his way to the small suburban town of Willamette only to find that it has become overrun by zombies. Frank escapes to the local shopping mall, thinking it will be a bastion of safety but it turns out to be anything but. It will be a true struggle to survive the endless stream of enemies, but players will have full reign of a realistic shopping centre and its varied stores offering an endless supply of real and makeshift weapons to fight off the flesh-hungry mob. If Frank is running low on health he can pay a visit to one of the many restaurants or cafes for a meal in order to restore his energy and continue the fight.

The game is split into a series of individual cases, all of which Frank must complete in order to gain vital information that will allow him to piece together the truth behind the horrendous epidemic. In addition to the cases, players will be faced with the dilemma of deciding the rescue priority of the residents of Wilamette who also sought sanctuary in the mall. Depending on the player’s skill, some may not be so fortunate as each rescue needs to be undertaken in a set time period, therefore players may need to delay completion of a case in order to save a fellow human.

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop’s infectious humor delivers some welcome relief from the incessant tide of zombies with players able to dress Frank up in a variety of comedic costumes and take on the undead hordes with a selection of improvised and sometimes highly ineffective weapons such as a toy sword or a football.

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop includes the following features:
• Utilizes the same engine as Resident Evil 4 Wii edition.
• New level of interaction – aim and fire guns, swing and throw weapons and shake off zombie attacks with added Wii Remote functionality
• Huge environment – expansive indoor and outdoor areas of the mall provide a variety of different locations to explore
• Improved save functionality allows for more seamless gameplay
• Hoards of enemies on screen at once resulting in non-stop, pulse-pounding action
• Anything in the mall is at Frank’s disposal
• Grab environmental objects like umbrellas and benches to use as improvised weapons
• Snatch items from different stores to use as weapons including golf clubs, lawnmowers, frying pans and more
• Consume food and drink to revive health

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow at the name.

sounds like you still have some degree of time management, only now they've rejigged things so you can't fail at the cases.

we'll see what the more 'seamless' save game structure is. i bet it's less seamless for a game about surviving a zombie holocaust... but we'll see.

Alcibiades

Hopefully this is a test for RE:5 on the system. Should they allude to something of the sort I would be much more interested in this game.

laserbeam

Banned
DeadFalling said:
What the hell. They really are deadset on ruining this game aren't they?
Well when 80% of dead rising fans pissed and moaned about the save feature they are bound to change it

Blablurn

I appreciate this port. I mean, it's one of these 3rd partys games which will satify the core gamer (even concerning the fact there is a better xbox version). for the sake of all core gamer; i really hope this one is going to be successfull.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Miniboss1232 said:
It sounds like they're actually changing the fundamental structure of the game in some respects. Should be interesting.

Yes they are- there have been a couple of threads about it since last week. It should be a diferent experience, for better or worse.

BigAT

I'll be purchasing Dead Rising in some form this winter. I got my 360 pretty late and I have yet to pick it up so I figure I'll probably wait until this drops and see how it compares.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, it actually uses the RE4 engine?! That's actually really awesome. I might be interested in this now simply because RE4 was so rock solid.

Based on all of the changes they've stated, it seems as if the game will be REALLY different overall. Could be worth playing even for those who've already played the original.

I'll be purchasing Dead Rising in some form this winter. I got my 360 pretty late and I have yet to pick it up so I figure I'll probably wait until this drops and see how it compares
It seems to me that owning both might make sense as this appears to be a completely different game.

123rl

Love the name :D Shame they changed the save system...that was the whole point of the game, idiots! You choose which missions to do and who to leave behind. In a real crisis do you get to say "Oh shit...I should have been over there instead of over here so now I can't save that person. Pause, load game, and choose an earlier checkpoint" The save system was fucking excellent because it rewarded people who finished the game more than once and saw everything, got the true ending, unlocked everything etc. Now they've turned it into a generic shooter save point system. So it's Dead Rising minus the save system, the hordes of enemies (ie the thing that gives it its atmosphere), and its complex gameplay. But at least you get to shake the controller and point at the screen. I was willing to overlook the cut-down version because it had new content and I love the game. I can accept certain changes but changing the save system will ruin everything that makes the game unique. No sale now...Capcom have broken the game and changed it because people were too stupid to understand the first time you play is to understand the game. YOU DON'T TRY AND FINISH THE GAME ON YOUR FIRST ATTEMPT!!

Orlics said:
Chop 'Til You run out of video memory

Win.

Arde5643

123rl said:
Love the name :D Shame they changed the save system...that was the whole point of the game, idiots! You choose which missions to do and who to leave behind. In a real crisis do you get to say "Oh shit...I should have been over there instead of over here so now I can't save that person. Pause, load game, and choose an earlier checkpoint" The save system was fucking excellent because it rewarded people who finished the game more than once and saw everything, got the true ending, unlocked everything etc. Now they've turned it into a generic shooter save point system. So it's Dead Rising minus the save system, the hordes of enemies (ie the thing that gives it its atmosphere), and its complex gameplay. But at least you get to shake the controller and point at the screen. I was willing to overlook the cut-down version because it had new content and I love the game. I can accept certain changes but changing the save system will ruin everything that makes the game unique. No sale now...Capcom have broken the game

Win.
There's still some timed elements if you had bother to read the press release - of course, it's a press release afterall.

The game is split into a series of individual cases, all of which Frank must complete in order to gain vital information that will allow him to piece together the truth behind the horrendous epidemic. In addition to the cases, players will be faced with the dilemma of deciding the rescue priority of the residents of Wilamette who also sought sanctuary in the mall. Depending on the player’s skill, some may not be so fortunate as each rescue needs to be undertaken in a set time period, therefore players may need to delay completion of a case in order to save a fellow human.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Dragona Akehi said:
Another DR Wii thread, another batch of unfunny trolls.
The video memory but slayed me. I think this game will most likely be awesome. Before this, I was interested in hardly anything for the Wii this year.

DiddyBop

less zombies on screen and an "improved" save functionality. downgrade confirmed. at least those whiny gamers who could pass the game because they couldnt make 50 save files have a change to experience dead rising, even if it is a downgraded version.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Assuming this releases before Christmas, I think this could be a game that really benefits from Nintendo's piss poor 1st party lineup.

PSGames

I will be buying this. Hopefully they add new bosses and weapons as I've already played and beaten the first one.

Arde5643

Dragona Akehi said:
Another DR Wii thread, another batch of unfunny trolls.

cw_sasuke said:
No no...the thread needs more tears....funny xD

I find it funnier how butthurt most of these trolls seem to be for Capcom to release the Wii version.
It just re-affirms the notion that successful developers should never ever receive any gameplay input/advice from the gamers - criticism, yes- but not advice/inputs.
Else they'll end up like Sega's Sonic.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DiddyBop said:
less zombies on screen and an "improved" save functionality. downgrade confirmed. at least those whiny gamers who could pass the game because they couldnt make 50 save files have a change to experience dead rising, even if it is a downgraded version.
Downgrade? What do you expect from the Wii? The fact that it's coming at all is great.

kottila

123rl said:
Love the name :D Shame they changed the save system...that was the whole point of the game, idiots! You choose which missions to do and who to leave behind. In a real crisis do you get to say "Oh shit...I should have been over there instead of over here so now I can't save that person. Pause, load game, and choose an earlier checkpoint" The save system was fucking excellent because it rewarded people who finished the game more than once and saw everything, got the true ending, unlocked everything etc. Now they've turned it into a generic shooter save point system. So it's Dead Rising minus the save system, the hordes of enemies (ie the thing that gives it its atmosphere), and its complex gameplay. But at least you get to shake the controller and point at the screen. I was willing to overlook the cut-down version because it had new content and I love the game. I can accept certain changes but changing the save system will ruin everything that makes the game unique. No sale now...Capcom have broken the game and changed it because people were too stupid to understand the first time you play is to understand the game. YOU DON'T TRY AND FINISH THE GAME ON YOUR FIRST ATTEMPT!!

I'm sure you can still play it your way. Just pretend that you can only save in a specific shop or something.

Mamesj

Banned
Pretty interesting. This was one game I would guess that weaker machines couldn't do without a significant decrease in zombies and graphical quality.

DiddyBop said:
It's a completey different game.

Top Bottom