• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Announces PS5/Series S|X Enhancements for Resident Evil 7, 2 and 3 Remakes - Free Upgrade

Filben

I wish the PC version would get the DualSense haptics, too. Felt great in F1 2021 and Deathloop, but many titles didn't get it on PC.

ikbalCO

Hope they fix the issue of elevated black in REmake2 and 3.

Other than that i am down with whatever with 60 fps.

Vick

Gold Member
Hope they fix the issue of elevated black in REmake2 and 3.
You could completely fix it with the In-Game extensive and competent calibration tools, this is how i played the game on PS4 Pro on D1:

IMAcEZv.png

Jfqkgf5.png

otJhlGH.png

H6t7HKN.png

iuTs7yl.png

Sure the game does use different brightness levels and color grading for certain rooms and areas, in order to portray different moods:

oIPufWS.png

NaZrDrm.png

But that's akin to cinematography in a movie, once properly calibrated you simply see what they wanted you to see.

Set the first slide (highlights intensity) all way up, the second (black levels) all way down, and the third one (brightness) between the middle and the end, which is +5.

Keep in mind the game uses aggressive vignette, so if you play on PC with vignette removed you might want to set that last slide lower (and also download the tonemap mod). And this is correct not only in theory on a mathematical level, the game properly set matches the material Capcom used in marketing:

news-videogiochi-il-dlc-ghost-survivors-di-resident-evil-2-arriva-questa-settimana-1550153012649.jpg

Resident-Evil-2-The-Ghost-Survivors-7.jpg

Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil 8 also look phenomenal with these same settings.

Banned
If I want good positional sound, PS5 over my Series X with Dolby Atmos audio (headphones).

there's no way you can hear a difference there if you use the same headphones for both.

the only difference between Dolby Atmos and Sony's proprietary 3D audio is the amount of individual sound channels/objects they can process.

and there's no way any game you played has more than 100 channels at the same time going to max out Atmos' capabilities... and even if it did, actually hearing the difference between 100 individual channels and, say... 500, is also something I doubt many would be able to do

MikeM

there's no way you can hear a difference there if you use the same headphones for both.

the only difference between Dolby Atmos and Sony's proprietary 3D audio is the amount of individual sound channels/objects they can process.

and there's no way any game you played has more than 100 channels at the same time going to max out Atmos' capabilities... and even if it did, actually hearing the difference between 100 individual channels and, say... 500, is also something I doubt many would be able to do
Proof? Because I hear a difference. I find the positional audio better than Series X with a Arctis 7X headset. My ears are also different from yours and you may feel otherwise. Do you have both to perform objective testing?

Number of channels is not the sole measurement of being better audio. Not sure why you are bringing it up.

Methos#1975

If I want good positional sound, PS5 over my Series X with Dolby Atmos audio (headphones).
The one place where the PS5 is absolutely rubbish and pales next to the XSX is the near worthlessness of its 3D audio if you are running a dedicated home theater setup, until it's solution is useable in that space it's not worth anything. Come on, headphones over a dedicated full range system. Nah, isn't happening.

Last edited:

MikeM

The one place where the PS5 is absolutely rubbish and pales next to the XSX is the near worthlessness of its 3D audio if you are running a dedicated home theater setup, until it's solution is useable in that space it's not worth anything. Come on, headphones over a dedicated full range system. Nah, isn't happening.
Agreed there. My HT setup is 10 years old so I can’t benefit.

QnCJ4Qa.gif

My shit sounds fine. 🤷 I could be the dick here though. Don't mind me.

Banned
Proof? Because I hear a difference. I find the positional audio better than Series X with a Arctis 7X headset. My ears are also different from yours and you may feel otherwise. Do you have both to perform objective testing?

Number of channels is not the sole measurement of being better audio. Not sure why you are bringing it up.

I bring that up because that's the only difference in the 3D audio solutions between the 2. Sony has their own proprietary one, and Microsoft uses DTSX, Atmos and Microsoft's proprietary one (forgot the name of it...)
audio quality should be identical if you use the same headphones since it's digital after all and the bitrate should be the same.

Last edited:
What a weird era we live in. Capcom doing free upgrades, while Sony make you pay for every upgrade.

If somebody told me this 10 years ago i would call them crazy people.
I'll call you crazy now since every upgrade isn't charged. 10 years ago you would be bitching, along with me, about online passes.

Swift_Star

Banned
I never played RE2 remake as I'm a pussy who can't handle the constant chases from Mr X, that's why I also couldn't play RE8 or 7 with Jack and Lady D, I love horror games but can't stand a constant cat and mouse chase, the only time I did stomach it was Alien Isolation.

Is RE3 Remake easier in this aspect or is Nemesis still a constant chasing threat that will make me shit my pants?
Play 8. It’s really easy to avoid lady D and her daughters.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What kind of enhancements,ray tracing,better textures,etc?

RT is confirmed at least.

And Capcom have changed the minimum system requirements for RE7 and Re2make over Steam, which means there's probably *some* other visual upgrades like texture quality of effects etc.

SSfox

I would have 3 if mercenaries was the added mode.
It's so silly they didnt put Mercenaries since RE3 remake gameplay is so good and would fit perfectly, and Carlos, Nicolai, Mikael and of course Jill have amazing models and would've been awesome to play all those character in the mode. Such a wasted opportunity, add to this that the game itself was "COD"ed and cut content to hell, what could end being one of the best game of the generation just ended being an OK game.

Last edited:
It's so silly they didnt put Mercenaries since RE3 remake gameplay is so good and would fit perfectly, and Carlos, Nicolai, Mikael and of course Jill have amazing models and would've been awesome to play all those character in the mode. Such a wasted opportunity, add to this that the game itself was "COD"ed and cut content to hell, what could end being one of the best game of the generation just ended being an OK game.
Mercenaries should be in every RE release from now on.

Kev Kev

i dont disagree that they shouldve added mercs, but i still think it was one of the best games of the gen, even without it.

SSfox

i dont disagree that they shouldve added mercs, but i still think it was one of the best games of the gen, even without it.
It's great game in itself and definitely better than most modern medium/ shitty games, i actually play it like 5-6 times, but it just could have been so much better, if they didn't cut Clocktower, Park, Cimetery and other iconic places of RE3, and of course mercenaries modes.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
btw. I noticed that the raised black levels are much better in HDR mode.
IN sdr, if you change the settings for blacks to appear more accurate, it will ruin some scenes since the gamma in this game is dynamic per room.

But I've never figured out 3d audio
On pc it's easy, I remember just enabling 3d binaural with headphones and it was fine. but on ps5, I am not sure if tempest 3d system level audio overrides it or doubles the 3d effect.

Vick

Gold Member
IN sdr, if you change the settings for blacks to appear more accurate, it will ruin some scenes since the gamma in this game is dynamic per room.
Sorry, not true at all. It's like saying a calibrated panel would ruin some movies instead of others because all movies look different, or the old "some scenes look better than others because they all display different values, so there's no point in calibrating".

There's a standard, and all creators deviate or not from that standard in order to achieve what they want to achieve.
Properly setting RE2 only allow the artistic choices made to be properly displayed.
If you really see something wrong i'm totally confident it's fault of your set, as i have hundreds of hours and countless replays on KRP-500M and VT50, perfect from start to finish (entire game, all menus and bonuses, all DLCs).

Which scenes or areas look better non-calibrated? Provide me examples and i will show via screenshot comparison that's not the case at all.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Sorry, not true at all. It's like saying a calibrated panel would ruin some movies instead of others because all movies look different, or the old "some scenes look better than others because they all display different values, so there's no point in calibrating".

There's a standard, and all creators deviate or not from that standard in order to achieve what they want to achieve.
Properly setting RE2 only allow the artistic choices made to be properly displayed.
If you really see something wrong i'm confident it's fault of your set, as i have hundreds of hours and countless replays on KRP-500M and VT50, perfect from start to finish.

Which scenes or areas look better non-calibrated? Provide me examples and i will show via screenshot comparison that's not the case at all.
Dude I played the game years ago... I just remember that setting the in-game sliders as instructed resulted in incorrect image.
I just resettled to default and played the game. I think the sometimes washed look is intentional

Vick

Gold Member
Dude I played the game years ago... I just remember that setting the in-game sliders as instructed resulted in incorrect image.
You probably didn't properly understood what each slider was meant to do. I was lucky because i played the Demo before the game on multiple accounts, and having a quite extensive experience in calibrations and patterns was able to not ruin my first run, also played at Hardcore and with no reticle by the way.
My first RE2R run was fucking fire, best survival horror experience since REmake on Gamecube, and from that point i've replayed the game more than any other in that generation.

I just resettled to default and played the game. I think the sometimes washed look is intentional
Oh man that sucks.. it's like watching a movie with the wrong color space or missing RGB channel. I could never do that.
I mean the Calibration tools once you open the game are literally "Adjust value until the pattern is just barely visible" and said patterns are right in your face at Default and couldn't be any more visible.

There's countless artistic visual choices in terms of color filters and black level, which are completely and 100% intentional, but all work flawlessly once properly set.

rofif

Banned
You probably didn't properly understood what each slider was meant to do. I was lucky because i played the Demo before the game on multiple accounts, and having a quite extensive experience in calibrations and patterns was able to not ruin my first run, also played at Hardcore and with no reticle by the way.
My first RE2R run was fucking fire, best survival horror experience since REmake on Gamecube, and from that point i've replayed the game more than any other in that generation.

Oh man that sucks.. it's like watching a movie with the wrong color space or missing RGB channel. I could never do that.
I mean the Calibration tools once you open the game are literally "Adjust value until the pattern is just barely visible" and said patterns are right in your face at Default and couldn't be any more visible.

There's countless artistic visual choices in terms of color filters and black level, which are completely and 100% intentional, but all work flawlessly once properly set.
I understood. I spent way too much time on this... Everyone posted settings back then too.
When I tried these games on oled, the hdr really does help. Of course following calibration.
Village had no problems whatsoever too

Last edited:
Top Bottom