• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom cuts content (local co-op) from PC version of Revelations 2.

me0wish

I was on the fence of pre-ordering Resident Evil: Revelations 2 to play coop with some of my friends, guess I won't be doing that anymore as Capcom decided to remove the local coop from the PC version specifically.

From the Steam page:
XC6lnHU.png

To make matters even more confusing, this still exists on the Steam page:
nZS2vFf.png

It's insulting how Capcom continues to mock PC gamers with inferior versions of their games, but this scammy last minute behavior has taken them to a whole new level.

Update 1:
Capcom Official statement,

The PC version of Resident Evil Revelations 2 supports a variety of customisable visual settings and resolutions. The decision to prioritise a single local screen was made to ensure a stable user experience across a variety of different PC settings and devices.

Raid mode will support online co-op shortly after launch when a free patch is available for players to download which adds this feature, but the main campaign on PC will only be available to play in single local screen.

Source: Eurogamer

Update 2:
Great news, gaffer Sectus added coop in less than 24 hours of the games release.
FABC9869B5F613155C797BD370848C0AD962D416

Hopefully he will be able to iron the issues out, thanks Sectus, even if nothing comes out of it, its nice to see the effort you put into it.

Update 3:

Hello RE fans,

Following Resident Evil Revelations 2 PC player feedback, we've got some new information to share. The development team has been exploring various options and we're in the process of creating a way for players to utilize a local co-op feature

Soon we plan to release a beta branch on Steam which will allow two players to play the Story and Raid modes locally via a split screen. We want to get this feature in the hands of our PC players as soon as possible, so this option may not be 100% polished when it is released. Feedback from those who try it out is welcomed. For anyone who isn't satisfied with this option, refunds are available through Steam.

We'll have more specific news to share when the beta branch goes live, so please stay tuned.

Well done everyone, glad that the push succeeded, and we are getting local mp "officially".

Jawmuncher

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
It's like they have to disappoint in some way.

Sir TapTap

Super lame. It's hard enough to find local co op on PC, removing it from a game that has it on console? That's awful. Just force controller controls or something if you must (games can support multiple mice though--Gish does.)

Cut implies it's never happening.

Point #2 sounds final, which would mean cut is accurate.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
How do you not support offline co-op play if it's supported on other systems?

this scammy last minute behavior has taken them to a whole new level.

Sadly this is becoming an odd trend with not just Capcom, several games in the year that I can remember, most likely more, have been waiting til the last few hours before release to pull the "oh hey these features... not in there." if at all.

Alo0oy

Banned
The good thing about it is that someone will mod offline co-op within hours.

Was that feature removed from the consoles version too?

CronoShot

I'm not a PC gamer, but exactly how many new PC games still have local multiplayer? Seems like something very few people would take advantage of.

Still having it on the listing is scummy though.

Tain

How do you not support offline co-op play if it's supported on other systems?

The vast majority of games with split-screen support lose it in the PC release, though, don't they?

It sucks that this game doesn't have it, but dropping split screen support for PC releases is the sad norm.

Jawmuncher

The vast majority of games with split-screen support lose it in the PC release, though, don't they?

Lately it has been sticking around. If the console version had it.
Funny enough Resident Evil 6 on PC supports split screen.

The big issue here is now on PC there is technically no way to coop the SP. If split screen was cut but online was still there for PC there would be less to be upset about.

Shantom

It's terrible that they hid this news at the bottom of the Steam description, and still advertise co-op as a feature on the page.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, but who has two keyboards? That's just crazy talk.

Controllers are a thing on PC.
360 controllers along with XINPUT functionality is supported by most titles these days. Hell most will let you play with the keyboard and controller at the same time if you want.

me0wish

I'm not a PC gamer, but exactly how many new PC games still have local multiplayer? Seems like something very few people would take advantage of.

Still having it on the listing is scummy though.

You'd be surprised, games like Tower Fall and Nidhogg do pretty well on PC. I've spent many hours playing many of my Steam games locally.

Jawmuncher

So offline co-op is split screen co-op? I thought they were just talking about some kind of Lan support.

I suppose the wording could mean that.
Well if that's the case they need to reword it to prevent the confusion going on if that's the case. Though it's doubtful that's what's really going on here.

RM8

What is even the point? I can't even rationalize this as greed or laziness, why would they remove a feature like this?

Jawmuncher

Wish I knew you would, I would of stopped you, Capcom unity is a place where you only praise and worship Capcom or your thread will be locked. I appreciate you putting the effort to get the message across, thanks a lot.

Currently they changed their style where all questions are locked until answered. Just trying to get some kind of response, Unless someone PMs the Capcom guy here.

rjc571

Banned
They just don't want your eyes to get tired from the PC version's higher framerate. Capcpom always looking out!

:/

That's really, really disappointing. PC version of RE6 having splitscreen was one of the major reasons I spent so much time with it. And I saw this thread just as I was planning when to play REV2's Raid Mode with my brother...

Jawmuncher

Could Durante add it back ? Would LAN work ?
Someone could. Top of my head RE5 and Borderlands 2&PreSequel got modded in to support split screen.
Why should I have to rely on a hacky mod to do it?
Exactly. At the end of the day this is what it comes down to. Especially when no clarification was made before this point.
Would be a lot different if from day 1 they said "split screen coop not availble on PC. Which wasn't the case at all.
Do PC RE5 and 6 have offline co-op?
RE5 had to be modded. RE6 had it though

Ziffles

Makes sense I mean how are you and your friends going to crowd around a tiny monitor like this

Commodore_PCcomp_PC10_s2.jpg

Ridiculous. I applaud Capcom and their forward thinking. Way to nip that problem in the bud.

Piers

Capcom assumes that all PC gamers play by themselves (sans online) at their desks.
Which isn't far off, but still.

Top Bottom