• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom cuts profit forecast by 50%, due to mobile and monster hunter frontier

koutoru

Capcom’s net income forecast has been reduced from 6.8 billion yen to 3.3 billion yen—a decrease of approximately 50%.

The reason for the drop in operating income and profits, the company says, is due to the company’s Mobile Contents business and PC Online business—specifically Monster Hunter Frontier in the case of the latter—both of which performed below expectations.

as a result, Capcom has posted an extraordinary loss of 5 billion yen, related to “structural improvement expenses” pertaining to their Mobile Contents.

Full article:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/3...st-50-owing-mobile-monster-hunter-frontier-g/

Official doc:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e140331.html

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Monster Hunter Frontier should be in the thread title - MH4 performed way above expectations and its one of the reasons its not looking even worse.

Meanwhile, sales are expected to improvement as a result of Monster Hunter 4 seeing strong sales and the “highly successful” pachislot title Monster Hunter Gekka Raimei.

Boss Mog

They should make a deal with Sony for Monster Hunter 5 exclusivity on the Vita. Capcom will get a big check from Sony and Sony will sell a ton of Vitas. It's win-win.

Tenki

That monster hunter from the thread is going to cause a lot of confusion and of course port "suggestions".

Kysen

They're having a field day with this news on はちま. Gaist crushers was noted as one of the bombas.

-MB-

Boss★Moogle;106397642 said:
They should make a deal with Sony for Monster Hunter 5 exclusively on the Vita. Capcom will get a big check from Sony and Sony will sell a ton of Vitas. It's win-win.

MH5 will be 3ds, just get used to it.

NewGame

Banned
Well duh Monster Hunter Frontier is doing crappy.

It's an Xbox 360 game. An Xbox 360 game exclusive and exclusively online as an MMO- In Japan exclusively.

exclusively exclusive

I'm excited about MH4G and I want more AA but outside of that it's just sad, what the hell are they doing? the only other game I know they are making is that F2P PS4 game.

I remember how they supposedly spent all their MH4 cash on mobile stuff, they better be making some cash out of that.

It's an Xbox 360 game. An Xbox 360 game exclusive and exclusively online as an MMO- In Japan exclusively.

exclusively exclusive

It is on PC, PS3, Wii U, and 360 - and coming to Vita, unless it gets canned due to underperforming everywhere else.

gngf123

They should make a deal with Sony for Monster Hunter 5 exclusively on the Vita. Capcom will get a big check from Sony and Sony will sell a ton of Vitas. It's win-win.

Or you know, just make Monster Hunter 5 a 3DS game where the fanbase already is. They will get just as much money without any additional deals, and Nintendo will continue to support them in bringing it to the west.

Or just release another update to MH4 and then release MH5 on whatever platform is biggest a couple of years from now.

Monster Hunter 4 was a great success. One of the very few that Capcom have had lately. No point in pointlessly changing course.

Vashetti

Banned
So they put all their eggs in the mobile basket and they got the harsh realisation that the only mobile games that make significant bank are the fads (i.e. Candy Crush, Flappy Bird, etc.).

Making a mobile game doesn't mean you're going to make billions.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Didn't they want to put like 4 billion yen into Mobile gaming research or something?
This.
I know that everyone want to hear about mobile games not being profitable, but if i understand correctly the loss is related to the mobile department creation/improvement(and Monster Hunter Freedom), not to mobile games themselves.

Metallix87

They should make a deal with Sony for Monster Hunter 5 exclusivity on the Vita. Capcom will get a big check from Sony and Sony will sell a ton of Vitas. It's win-win.
No.

Zok310

Banned
If they thought MH:F was going to help them hit budget in anyway, then they are sillier than I thought....
Time to put mon hun on all platforms.

I wish I could lament their forecast cut, but if you were banking on mobile and Monster Hunter Frontier, then you can't squeeze all that much sympathy out of me.

exclusively exclusive
Surely they are including the new Frontier G as well, which granted is the same basic bad game that people shouldn't get.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

exclusively exclusive

It's also on PC\Wii U and PS3 though.

The problem with MHF is that it sucks and looks like a ps2 game and costs money per month in a world where that just doesn't make sense anymore.

QaaQer

Time to put mon hun on all platforms.

they really should try and expand the audience for that IP and not just leave it as a Japan handheld thing.

I do understand though why they are trying to get into the whole mobile game rush. The problem is that they have severely underestimated just how expensive player acquisition is in that market. The Candy Crush folks, for example, spend hundreds of millions on that. Game development is probably the least expensive part of that market right now.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Would've made more money localising the Tencent Monster Hunter Online for the west and Japan than continue to try and make Frontier relevant. Very few people if any want it.

I'll never really understand where the money Capcom pumped into mobile even went. Like... where are the Puzzle Fighters and so forth? They just dumped loads of crappy MonHun spin-off stuff oh and that Dragon's Dogma card game thing. But they hardly seem like big money spenders so, poof, fund evaporation.

So they put all their eggs in the mobile basket and they got the harsh realisation that the only mobile games that make significant bank are the fads (i.e. Candy Crush, Flappy Bird, etc.).

Making a mobile game doesn't mean you're going to make billions.

Japanese mobile market is just very harsh. Japanese mobile market there is mainly dominated by two companies (and GungHo now) making insane amount of money:

ixdhk2IpX50Hf.png

What the hell happened to you Capcom ? I would not be surprised if future Capcom games are exclusives to a specific platform.

Frillen

Read the OP. Monster Hunter 4 was not the problem, Monster Hunter Frontier is.

Top Bottom