• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom details the tech behind Deep Down; can't say if PS4 exclusive or not

nib95

Banned
Pretty shocked it looks that good on a GTX 570. PS4 should easily be able to match the visuals in that demo, depending on time and budget.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If it requires 8GB of RAM then I guess it will have to receive a downgrade for consoles, eh
Not what the article says at all. The footage we saw was on PS4. It CAN run on a PC like that but it doesn't need to.

The Deep Down demo ran in real time at the PS4 presentation and displayed between 10 and 20 million polygons per frame. It had a variable frame rate above 30 frames per second and a total texture capacity of 2 GB. It ran 30 different shaders at the same time.

Durante

Cool interview. Shame we don't have a full translation. The original article has some buffer grabs showing various buffers used to make up the final image.

WYHASun.png

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/3dcg/20130731_608483.html
Very interesting.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
hopefully next gen games use anti strophic filtering thats one thing that annoys me when playing console games

shandy706

Not what the article says at all. The footage we saw was on PS4. It CAN run on a PC like that but it doesn't need to.

It wasn't running on a PS4.

The demo can run on a PC with an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570, 8 GB of RAM, and an Intel Core i7 CPU.

Edit**

Wait... I misread that...so was it on the PS4 or a dev setup?

So confused, lol.

That's what the demo CAN run on. Read the quote I posted in the same comment you responded to.

Yeah, noticed that the second I posted it.

Second party.

If I'm correct, Sony doesn't have any stake in Quantic Dream as company, not even partially. I may be wrong but that's what I thought. In that case, they're second party (which isn't even a real term really) as they have a development contract with Sony. So they're a third party with a contract. So they limit the potential of their games for...free? Sony is most likely paying them to remain exclusive.

hawk2025

So timed exclusive, or still negotiating?

Man, if this is anywhere close to being a spiritual sequel to Dragon's Dogma... DAMN.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If I'm correct, Sony doesn't have any stake in Quantic Dream as company, not even partially. I may be wrong but that's what I thought. In that case, they're second party (which isn't even a real term really) as they have a development contract with Sony. So they're a third party with a contract. So they limit the potential of their games for...free? Sony is most likely paying them to remain exclusive.
Sony funds development and publishes.

Violater

I would totally loose my shit if we got a next gen Demon's/Dark Souls that had these graphics.
The reason why LP3 is using UE3 is because spark unlimited use that engine for everything... and then make incomptent and horrible looking games on it.
Bummer LP2 had potential, they just needed to let go of the antiquated game mechanic.

Nerix

The article says that it run in realtime AT the PS4 presentation. It doesn´t say that it run on a PS4 at the PS4 presentation ;)

But anyhow, like mentioned above: Ono stated that he played the game on a PS4, so it should run on a PS4 http://p.twipple.jp/0vG60

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Catmull Clark? Nice. It still amazes me that we have the computing power to render even one of those passes over 30 times a second let alone SSAO, voxels and all this other stuff. Good times.

Yes, much like Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog were before Sony purchased them (which I expect them to do soon with QD). Sony pay them to create content exclusively for PS3, they don't pay QD to keep the content off 360.

Erm, a second-party developer is basically a third-party developer that the console manufacturer pays for exclusives.

Yes, it is a game that otherwise would not be made. QD are making the game for Sony and they are being paid by Sony to make it.

I really hope this plays like next gen dragon's dogma.

Loved the game so much on PS3 but it obviously has some bad frames and that loading is bad and got worst closer to end of the game.

roMonster

Most next gen lookng game shown.

The article says that it run in realtime AT the PS4 presentation. It doesn´t say that it run on a PS4 at the PS4 presentation ;)

But anyhow, like mentioned above: Ono stated that he played the game on a PS4, so it should run on a PS4 http://p.twipple.jp/0vG60

Imagining what the dwarf from your avatar (w/ flowing beard/hair) would look like in a game like this makes me excited.

Those DF shots make even more clear that we were actually seeing real time footage.

I took a glance of the watch article using google translate, there were some complementary info:

- 10-20 million per frame, 10x increase of the previous gen. However that's the amount of polygons per frame, it doesn't mean the scene is composed of 10-20 millions polys. For instance they have to redrawn any object that cast shadow for the shadow maps.

- To develop the engine and the game, they presumed Ps4 would be about 8 times more powerful than Ps3. From the specs Ps4 falls in line with they expected.

- The 30 shaders they are using are not comparable to previous gen shaders. With Dx9 and last gen shaders had to be much simpler because dynamic branching would destroy performance. Now they can have more complex/intelligent shaders and so they can use less of them to achieve the desired look.

- Apparently the Pc demo uses only 1.2GB of video ram (compared to Ps4's 2GB)... There's a explanation for that, but due poor translation I couldn't make sense of it.

- Apparently they are using tesselation for LOD, but not for drawing objects with higher poly count.

- For increasing geometry using tesselation, they used Catmull-Clark sub division surfaces, but that proved too resource heavy to be used everywhere. For the demo, it was only being used on the robe the witch was using.

- They are testing faster algorithms of tesselation that would allow them to enable tessellation on all drawn objects.

- For rendering they use Tile based deferred rendering, and for transparent objects they use a mix of foward rendering too.

- They talk about performances advantages of TBDR, but that is also impossible to understand, but I think papers on the tech shouldn't be hard to find.

- They seem to use physically correct shaders and area lights.

- They initially wanted to have real time GI using SVOGI (the same of the Ue4 demo). But creating and maintaining the octree was too heavy for the Ps4 to handle alongside the game.

- But the work done there allowed them to use the voxel cone tracing algorithm in more some areas. Specifically for the demo, this technique is used to handle the dragon's flames. Just like the UE4 elemental demo, voxel cone tracing allows an entire object to become emissive (in essentially, a light source). That was also used in the demo: The rocks and the shield that receive the flames become emissive of lights too.

- They talk about a 3d mega texture using GCN Partially resident textures. It could be useful for static geometry, and could be a way to get SVOGI working on the next gen consoles.

- In some place there they say that the flames propagation are actually simulated used fluid dynamics, and I think the voxel representation of the flames also helped that...

Top Bottom