• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom details the tech behind Deep Down; can't say if PS4 exclusive or not

This is Capcom. They wouldn't do exclusives on PS maybe other systems. "can't say if exclusive or not" - waiting on SCE to write the check.

Bingo. And if Sony doesnt write that check expect the scope of the game to be compromised to fit in with multiplatform development.

Which is why this generations engine showcase, DMC4 has a fuckton of backtracking instead of original content.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
More.

Dynamic LOD
guMumXI.jpg

Voxels

Normals

SSAO

Tessellation makes Japanese baseball player sad

Those DF shots make even more clear that we were actually seeing real time footage.

I took a glance of the watch article using google translate, there were some complementary info:

- 10-20 million per frame, 10x increase of the previous gen. However that's the amount of polygons per frame, it doesn't mean the scene is composed of 10-20 millions polys. For instance they have to redrawn any object that cast shadow for the shadow maps.

- To develop the engine and the game, they presumed Ps4 would be about 8 times more powerful than Ps3. From the specs Ps4 falls in line with they expected.

- The 30 shaders they are using are not comparable to previous gen shaders. With Dx9 and last gen shaders had to be much simpler because dynamic branching would destroy performance. Now they can have more complex/intelligent shaders and so they can use less of them to achieve the desired look.

- Apparently the Pc demo uses only 1.2GB of video ram (compared to Ps4's 2GB)... There's a explanation for that, but due poor translation I couldn't make sense of it.

- Apparently they are using tesselation for LOD, but not for drawing objects with higher poly count.

- For increasing geometry using tesselation, they used Catmull-Clark sub division surfaces, but that proved too resource heavy to be used everywhere. For the demo, it was only being used on the robe the witch was using.

- They are testing faster algorithms of tesselation that would allow them to enable tessellation on all drawn objects.

- For rendering they use Tile based deferred rendering, and for transparent objects they use a mix of foward rendering too.

- They talk about performances advantages of TBDR, but that is also impossible to understand, but I think papers on the tech shouldn't be hard to find.

- They seem to use physically correct shaders and area lights.

- They initially wanted to have real time GI using SVOGI (the same of the Ue4 demo). But creating and maintaining the octree was too heavy for the Ps4 to handle alongside the game.

- But the work done there allowed them to use the voxel cone tracing algorithm in more some areas. Specifically for the demo, this technique is used to handle the dragon's flames. Just like the UE4 elemental demo, voxel cone tracing allows an entire object to become emissive (in essentially, a light source). That was also used in the demo: The rocks and the shield that receive the flames become emissive of lights too.

- They talk about a 3d mega texture using GCN Partially resident textures. It could be useful for static geometry, and could be a way to get SVOGI working on the next gen consoles.

- In some place there they say that the flames propagation are actually simulated used fluid dynamics, and I think the voxel representation of the flames also helped that...

thx

DoucheVader

Neo Member
There's no way this game will be an exclusive for either platform.

That's excellent news.Pop in is one of my biggest pet peeves in games and one of my favourite games this gen (Dragon's Dogma) had a lot of it unfortunatelly.If they manage to have great performance with zero pop-in that would be awesome.

Solid State Drive pretty much eliminates pop-in. Also makes DC Universe Online run pretty well (the menu system hits the hard drive).

KKRT00

"displayed between 10 and 20 million polygons per frame"
From google translation it seems that those values are before culling and that would be realistic, because rendering 10m+ polys is too much for next-gen consoles.

Seems that PC bottleneck was 1.2gb VRAM on 570.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Those DF shots make even more clear that we were actually seeing real time footage.

I took a glance of the watch article using google translate, there were some complementary info:

- 10-20 million per frame, 10x increase of the previous gen. However that's the amount of polygons per frame, it doesn't mean the scene is composed of 10-20 millions polys. For instance they have to redrawn any object that cast shadow for the shadow maps.

- To develop the engine and the game, they presumed Ps4 would be about 8 times more powerful than Ps3. From the specs Ps4 falls in line with they expected.

- The 30 shaders they are using are not comparable to previous gen shaders. With Dx9 and last gen shaders had to be much simpler because dynamic branching would destroy performance. Now they can have more complex/intelligent shaders and so they can use less of them to achieve the desired look.

- Apparently the Pc demo uses only 1.2GB of video ram (compared to Ps4's 2GB)... There's a explanation for that, but due poor translation I couldn't make sense of it.

- Apparently they are using tesselation for LOD, but not for drawing objects with higher poly count.

- For increasing geometry using tesselation, they used Catmull-Clark sub division surfaces, but that proved too resource heavy to be used everywhere. For the demo, it was only being used on the robe the witch was using.

- They are testing faster algorithms of tesselation that would allow them to enable tessellation on all drawn objects.

- For rendering they use Tile based deferred rendering, and for transparent objects they use a mix of foward rendering too.

- They talk about performances advantages of TBDR, but that is also impossible to understand, but I think papers on the tech shouldn't be hard to find.

- They initially wanted to have real time GI using SVOGI (the same of the Ue4 demo). But creating and maintaining the octree was too heavy for the Ps4 to handle alongside the game.

- But the work done there allowed them to use the voxel cone tracing algorithm in more some areas. Specifically for the demo, this technique is used to handle the dragon's flames. Just like the UE4 elemental demo, voxel cone tracing allows an entire object to become emissive (in essentially, a light source). That was also used in the demo: The rocks and the shield that receive the flames become emissive of lights too.

- They talk about a 3d mega texture using GCN Partially resident textures. It could be useful for static geometry, and could be a way to get SVOGI working on the next gen consoles.

- In some place there they say that the flames propagation are actually simulated used fluid dynamics, and I think the voxel representation of the flames also helped that...
Thanks for the translation. Good stuff. I can't wait until we get more games built from the ground up for next gen.

DoucheVader

Neo Member
Dead Rising 3 is being published by Microsoft.

If Deep Down is published by Capcom - and it certainly seems to be - I'd expect it to be day-and-date on both platforms, at least in western territories.

Mass Effect was Published by MS, had the MS Game Studios logo on it. That doesn't make it sacred at all. Unless MS owns the IP it has a chance of showing up on other systems.

This engine looks mighty powerful (area lights, reflections, tesselation)... and their ideas on how to implement the SVOGI in theory seems incredibly interesting.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Anything in the article about their animation techniques? That was a large part of what made the DD demo so impressive to watch.

lol if this is exclusive to PS4. I just don't see it happening unless Sony moneyhats. Maybe MS took DR3 and Sony took Deep Down. Capcom wins in the end

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What do you think MS is doing with DR3?

or do you think that its MS so it has to be a money hat?
I was clarifying Sony's relationship with QD. I know it's probably the same for DR3, although Capcom is also funding part of it. I wasn't talking about DR3 at all.

KKRT00

- Where did You get info about Area Lights? I havent found it.

- You can read about Deferred + Forward in Crysis 3 tech presentation
http://www.crytek.com/download/Sousa_Tiago_Rendering_Technologies_of_Crysis3.pptx

- 1.2gb was limited by GTX 570 that has that amount of VRAM :)

- Their emissive lighting is very interesting and that they want to use partially resident texture tech for it, very clever.

Still the most interesting subject of this presentation was left for part 2 ;\ - fluid dynamics.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mass Effect was Published by MS, had the MS Game Studios logo on it. That doesn't make it sacred at all. Unless MS owns the IP it has a chance of showing up on other systems.

Sure, a chance, but later. That's why I say if Capcom is publishing it will be day and date on both systems. If there was some deal it would be at most timed, and even just that would likely require pub funding ala DR3.

This is the first TBDR next gen game I think.

Other games have done similar things. They even refer to BF3. I'd say BF4 might be doing same again.

DoucheVader

Neo Member
Anything in the article about their animation techniques? That was a large part of what made the DD demo so impressive to watch.

Agreed, the animation is top notch.

What do you think MS is doing with DR3?

or do you think that its MS so it has to be a money hat?

Generally speaking (with a few exceptions) Sony directly funds the developers. It's not like the Too Human situation which MS basically tossed some money Silicon Knight's way and hoped for the best.

lol if this is exclusive to PS4. I just don't see it happening unless Sony moneyhats. Maybe MS took DR3 and Sony took Deep Down. Capcom wins in the end

Perhaps the games will switch platforms in a year or so.

DoucheVader

Neo Member
Sure, a chance, but later. That's why I say if Capcom is publishing it will be day and date on both systems. If there was some deal it would be at most timed, and even just that would likely require pub funding ala DR3.

I never said it was a certainty, it is well known and well documented that Microsoft has a very liberal definition of the word "exclusive", much more so than Sony.

I doubt it will be an exclusive...especially the way Capcom be feeling about Sony lol! However, regardless of what..Seen it at the PS4 conference, buying it on the PS4 by association. Simple as that.

gif-1.gif

Capcom%E2%80%99s-PS4-Fantasy-title-Deep-Down-looks-like-Dark-Souls-meets-Dragon-Dogma.gif

Were these shots running at 60fps or 30fps

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
so basically if I upgrae my 2 570's to 2 760's with 4 gigs of ram I will be set for the next 5 years??

ALl i got from this is that this demo has always ran on a PC and not a ps4

menacin

Banned
so basically if I upgrae my 2 570's to 2 760's with 4 gigs of ram I will be set for the next 5 years??

ALl i got from this is that this demo has always ran on a PC and not a ps4

i think next gen pc games wont be optimized for current hardware, and you'll have to get whatever high end graphics card is out at the time.

bj00rn_

Banned
The demo can run on a PC with an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570, 8 GB of RAM, and an Intel Core i7 CPU.

That's interesting.., one of the first times I've seen a relatively direct comparison between PC and PS4/XbOne in that way.

- Where did You get info about Area Lights? I havent found it.

- You can read about Deferred + Forward in Crysis 3 tech presentation
http://www.crytek.com/download/Sousa_Tiago_Rendering_Technologies_of_Crysis3.pptx

- 1.2gb was limited by GTX 570 that has that amount of VRAM :)

- Their emissive lighting is very interesting and that they want to use partially resident texture tech for it, very clever.

Still the most interesting subject of this presentation was left for part 2 ;\ - fluid dynamics.
On the fourth page 3rd paragraph after the first slide, I think they are talking about spherical lights being more physically correct and less prone to specular aliasing than point lights, but it's badly translated, so I'm not sure...

Top Bottom