• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cringe Capcom Explains Why Jill Valentine Has Less Sex Appeal in Resident Evil 3 Remake

Paracelsus

Jun 24, 2007
you guys can be such dweebs. If you use the words "Sjw", you need to look yourself in the mirror and laugh at yourself.

what is your complaint. That her face is shaped more closely to real world dimensions. Or that in your brain you always saw her multi polygonal form, the form of some instagram model? 3D model looks great, as great as a 3d model can look.
Your comment is silly since it was addressed and debunked very few posts earlier.
Do you people regurgitate arguments and drive-by shitpost like robots or what?
All you're doing is feeding into the narrative "realistic" is dogwhistle for uglier, because so far, not a single character described as realistic was prettier than the previous iteration.

NeoGAF: "Reeeeeeeeee! This is woke!"
ResetEra: "Reeeeeeeeee! This is problematic!"
If you bitched for years about pretty girls, you have no right to complain about complainers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saberyoko
Oct 14, 2010
NeoGAF: "Reeeeeeeeee! This is woke!"
ResetEra: "Reeeeeeeeee! This is problematic!"

Reality: This is fine.
I'd keep in mind that the people in this thread saying they don't have a problem with it are NeoGAF too and there's many of them.

I'll also point out that the artists rational behind the new design and the new design itself are two different things. I personally like the design but take issue with his idea that characters need to have their sex appeal deliberately decreased to fit the tone of RE.

It just so happens that this particular artist's idea of decreasing sex appeal still results in a good design. But that's a separate issue from the increasingly industry wide trend of hostility toward sexy characters, which is certainly spurned on by the woke crowd.

NT80

Aug 7, 2019
The original Jill looked silly and out of place in that environment. This new one looks fine. I don't know why there's such a fuss. Claire in RE2:Remake went the other way in terms of her model.

TGO

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
UK
I find remake Jill fine and pretty indeed. But you do you. People like different things.

I think she fine aswell
But I'm a Claire fan

Shame she don't look like that in the game 🙄
But still

Quezacolt

Jan 8, 2019
I dont think she looks ugly at all, in some scenes, i think she looks even better than her irl model. My only complaint is the tank top and jeans, it's so boring.

Oct 14, 2010
Understandable, but in this case, I think it was just lip service.
It's very possible and unfortunately in so many of these cases we can't know for sure. Is it lip service? Is it bending to woke pressure? Is it an unrelated personal conviction? I tend to think that at the very least the general climate of wokeness in gaming had something to do with the decision, if not direct pressure. But I cant pretend my take isn't influenced by all the other instances of this trend that I've seen.

I'd say that even in your take there's some cause for concern because the idea that the artist felt they needed to give some woke lip service is still a sign of the direction the industry is moving.

Saberyoko

Jan 30, 2019
Your comment is silly since it was addressed and debunked very few posts earlier.
All you're doing is feeding into the narrative "realistic" is dogwhistle for uglier, because so far, not a single character described as realistic was prettier than the previous iteration.
For me its more concerning that those cases are here just to say that whoever disagrees only criticizes her face because they can no longer "bang" or just wants wanky material.

Last edited:

glarb_dungus

Oct 31, 2019
joeofnash.tumblr.com
It's very possible and unfortunately in so many of these cases we can't know for sure. Is it lip service? Is it bending to woke pressure? Is it an unrelated personal conviction? I tend to think that at the very least the general climate of wokeness in gaming had something to do with the decision, if not direct pressure. But I cant pretend my take isn't influenced by all the other instances of this trend that I've seen.

I'd say that even in your take there's some cause for concern because the idea that the artist felt they needed to give some woke lip service is still a sign of the direction the industry is moving.
The thing is, the "practicality" influencing design has also influenced the male characters as well, yet every character is still conventionally attractive (they do scan in models, afterall), and even things like... uh, Jill's boob size are still pretty busty.

Jill's blue tube top and skirt in RE3 are iconic, and I do think the "practicality" excuse is a lazy way to brush of criticism for boring designs, but there was no way that outfit was going to return as the default. Even back in 1999, it didn't make much sense. Even still, it returns, if only as a pre-order bonus costume.

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
She's fine btw. But I'm expecting the hot guys in RE to also suffer and not be too attractive for equality sake in videogame portrayals of humans. Because the first thing I want to see in videogames are people that look like ME and YOU. :)

SlimySnake

Feb 5, 2013
It's disappointing to say the least. They tried to muslim-up Lara Croft by taking away her short shorts and look at how well that turned out. Jill's design was iconic back then and should've been featured prominently in the game. Let her change in the middle of the game if you must, but she should've started off with that.

After all, they kept Leon's backstreet boys haircut that no self respecting man would support in 2020 so why change her?

This idea that women have to be ugly or plain looking is bizarre. Games just like movies are built on escapism. i dont want to see myself on there. I had no problem projecting myself on to Arnold, or Sylvester Stallone growing up, and i looked nothing like them. it's funny how ND had no problems sexying up Drake and openly admitted to it during a gamescom chat. They litearlly said he's the protagonist and needs to look hot, and then a year later turned around and downgraded the fuck out of Chloe. As if indian women cant be hot. its so woke, it borders on racism.

We are finally approaching photorealistic graphics. It sucks that we will never get to see a truly hot female character model because of these clueless idiots.

Saberyoko

Jan 30, 2019
She's fine btw. But I'm expecting the hot guys in RE to also suffer and not be too attractive for equality sake in videogame portrayals of humans. Because the first thing I want to see in videogames are people that look like ME and YOU. :)
Nah..I don't think will happen imo. Most of them believe that there are no sexy male, that they all are just "male-fantasy".

• Thoughtful
Reactions: SLoWMoTIoN

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Mar 22, 2017
And thats my core problem with Capcom's recent games, they are slowly losing that iconic look of their characters for sake of looking more "realistic" and "grounded" and I don't want to see Japanese developers follow the same route as western developers and give us boring ass character design for sake of "realism".

RokkanStoned

Jan 14, 2018
Norway
The thing is, the "practicality" influencing design has also influenced the male characters as well, yet every character is still conventionally attractive (they do scan in models, afterall)
DIsagree. Carlos looks much worse and less like the charismatic handsome soldier he was and also pretty impractical for a soldier going on a mission with hair hanging all over his face.

However, I doubt it's a "SJW" thing. It's more a "don't give a fuck" Capcom thing. Otherwise they wouldn't have sexed up Claire compared to the original. You also saw this with DmC.
There's been a lot of problems with Resident Evil and its treatment. Characters are constantly changed, keeping little, if any, semblance of character. Just look at all the Jills we've gotten over the years. (Personally Re1make is still the best one, although she has these very heavy pouches around her eyes. Best would be a mix of Re1make and the RE 1 and RE 3 designs. The new one doesn't really look like Jill at all. I think this is a weakness with the face scanning, in that it completely erodes sense of character)
Compare that to Nintendo and their way of keeping recognizable characters, even when they change the designs. Same with Square and their character redesigns.
If you can't look at a cosplay and say "that's ....", then you've failed as a video game designer.
That's also why I'm a bit puzzled at you recognizing the bad design in response to me earlier, but also strangely saying that this might be your favorite Jill yet. Based on what?

Maybe they're excusing it by pointing out that Resident Evil is not character focused (as in there's barely any characterization at all), thus keeping the character anonymous is the best for the game by not taking focus.

Reactions: Dacon
Oct 14, 2010
And thats my core problem with Capcom's recent games, they are slowly losing that iconic look of their characters for sake of looking more "realistic" and "grounded" and I don't want to see Japanese developers follow the same route as western developers and give us boring ass character design for sake of "realism".
B-b-but with your reasoning how does Capcom sell you back the iconic designs???

tassletine

Oct 24, 2007
The only thing that hits me hard is her face.
Looks ugly, forced and way too realistic. As if shes mad at someone for no particular reason.

The outfit seems cool to me.
Not that she’s going through hell, living though a nightmare Scenario? I think she looks like Mila Jovovich.

glarb_dungus

Oct 31, 2019
joeofnash.tumblr.com
That's also why I'm a bit puzzled at you recognizing the bad design in response to me earlier, but also strangely saying that this might be your favorite Jill yet. Based on what?
In terms of her personality (based on the footage I've watched) and face model. I still think she is recognizable as Jill; she at least has the right eye color, and the design keeps the blue motif, unlike RE7 Chris which got just about everything wrong.

Paracelsus

Jun 24, 2007
For me its more concerning that those cases are here just to say that whoever disagrees only criticizes her face because they can no longer "bang" or just wants wanky material.
That's true for every progressive discussion, isn't it?

B-b-but with your reasoning how does Capcom sell you back the iconic designs???
Too bad the dlc outfits suck even worse.
They remind me of George Lucas with the re-releases of Star Wars: the more he changes, the worse it gets.

In terms of her personality (based on the footage I've watched) and face model. I still think she is recognizable as Jill; she at least has the right eye color, and the design keeps the blue motif, unlike RE7 Chris which got just about everything wrong.
Chris from RE7 is the exception that confirms the rule: he's not just different, he's flat out ugly.

Last edited:

Saberyoko

Jan 30, 2019
Not that she’s going through hell, living though a nightmare Scenario?
As far as I know, Jill have being fighting for long, she already went "through hell" in RE1, seeing his comrades dying. She already states herself that she can do nothing for people if they don't have the will to fight. So I wouldn't put her face on mad mode, but simply as a serious tone. Re3 was aways about her escape, not fighting a "war against zombies". If she was meant to war, she would just armed better, dressed better, etc. But this is "her last escape".

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2013
PRETTIER. I cant. You think its fact that these realistic characters are "less prettier" than their less polygon forms? Because they previously looked like hookers? Does your brain fill the missing detail? Does it disappoint you? The image in your mind, puts the current model to shame? THIS is silly. All these Resident Evil characters are top notch.

fred

Mar 27, 2013
Blimey. You know that 'wokeness' is getting REALLY bad when it starts affecting Doctor Who AND Resident Evil.

Mind you, even in that updated get up I STILL start thinking about a Jill Sandwich with me, Jill and Barry 😂😂😂

Maybe I should get out more (once we're actually ABLE to get out more of course!). 🤔

NT80

Aug 7, 2019
It's disappointing to say the least. They tried to muslim-up Lara Croft by taking away her short shorts and look at how well that turned out. Jill's design was iconic back then and should've been featured prominently in the game. Let her change in the middle of the game if you must, but she should've started off with that.

After all, they kept Leon's backstreet boys haircut that no self respecting man would support in 2020 so why change her?

This idea that women have to be ugly or plain looking is bizarre. Games just like movies are built on escapism. i dont want to see myself on there. I had no problem projecting myself on to Arnold, or Sylvester Stallone growing up, and i looked nothing like them. it's funny how ND had no problems sexying up Drake and openly admitted to it during a gamescom chat. They litearlly said he's the protagonist and needs to look hot, and then a year later turned around and downgraded the fuck out of Chloe. As if indian women cant be hot. its so woke, it borders on racism.

We are finally approaching photorealistic graphics. It sucks that we will never get to see a truly hot female character model because of these clueless idiots.
Her RE3 design was iconic? Really? I thought it was crap. Claire in RE2:Remake went the other way and in her original outfit looks childish.. The new outfits aren't terrible there just generic and not interesting. Her face looks fine. If you look at what Soul Calibur did with the likes of Ivy and Sophitia that is ridiculous in the other way. Even Ninja Taki has massive tits. Zafina and SC3 Setsuka on the other hand were really well done by the same company.

Last edited:
Reactions: tassletine

sublimit

Aug 28, 2009
Thankfully we don't need photorealistic graphics in order to see hot female characters. Nier,Bayonetta,Gravity Rush and others prove that there are developers out there who don't give a fuck about all this woke trend that is going on in the West and they are not afraid to show strong and sexy female characters.

Reactions: Saberyoko

Dacon

Apr 24, 2011
Houston, Texas
No wonder she's so fucking ugly. Guess pretty girls being strong is unbelievable. Also imagine wanting realism in a fucking zombie game. Makes sense.

This whole thing rings so fucking false when 1, her freaking boobs jiggle in the game, and her original outfit is available.

This is dumb media lipservice.

Malcolm9

Nov 30, 2013
She looks much better personally, more natural. But if you want to cake her in make up to float your boat go ahead.

Rhazer Fusion

May 2, 2006
In my own world.
m.youtube.com

Good points. I actually still found Chloe attractive in Uncharted: LL though. I might have unique or unusual taste though.

Rhazer Fusion

May 2, 2006
In my own world.
m.youtube.com
Her RE3 design was iconic? Really? I thought it was crap. Claire in RE2:Remake went the other way and in her original outfit looks childish.. The new outfits aren't terrible there just generic and not interesting. Her face looks fine. If you look at what Soul Calibur did with the likes of Ivy and Sophitia that is ridiculous in the other way. Even Ninja Taki has massive tits. Zafina and SC3 Setsuka on the other hand were really well done by the same company.
I think Jill’s RE3 outfit was iconic especially in Japan from what I’ve heard and honestly it’s one of the most memorable things about RE3 back in the day. Her stars outfit was good, but it definitely stood out much more than her stars outfit.

Last edited:

Labolas

Jan 18, 2015
I was making a response to the people who think Jill is ugly or "woke" or whatever. I agree that the tank top and jeans design, as well as the obsession of "practicality" (in a fucking Resident Evil game) is misguided and boring.

You made a leap in logic.

You assumed that by interesting inspired character design, I meant "hot" characters. That's not what I meant (I think the new Jill is very hot). Though, it the case of RE, the entire cast are always look like super models (and that's no different with R3make).

RE4, RE5, and RE6 all have mostly relatively "realistic" character designs, but they are still distinct. Leon's RE4 jacket is immediately recognizable, yet it's not "impractical." Practicality isn't an excuse for lazy and recycled character design. Besides, RE's universe has always a strong foundation in anime. Seeing some of that influence make the character more distinct as Capcom characters; and thankfully, I do still see a little bit of that influence in Carlos's redesign.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't think Jill's new outfit is bad; but after redesigning Claire's iconic outfit to tanktop and jeans, and making the two major female character in RE7 wear the same thing, Capcom's character designers should have mixed it up for Jill. I would have preferred something like this; to me, it's more distinct and has a more distinct look:
Yes, this looks way better than the Jill design we actually got. I don't know I had time to sit on this and some shots she looks good but others she's got this uncanny valley thing going on. Her design is boring as hell.

Mega_Deth

Neo Member
Jun 15, 2019
I actually have no problem with the different dress code here, it actually seems much more believable and fits the environment and situation she is in. In the original PS1 version it looked like she was going out to a nightclub lol. Something about the face seems off, not the structure but it seems to still be in the 'uncanny valley' where it strives for being realistic but something seems weird.

At least they didn't go for the Mortal Kombat 11 excuse about practicality in a fighting situation but then have some of male characters half naked.

Last edited:

Shantae

Formerly 'Spring of Life'
Jul 7, 2019
The problem I have with some of the modern designs of female characters in games is that they are so generic. Girls can't wear shorts or wear skirts now I guess? Jill's new "design" if you want to call it that is as generic as bald space marine was during last generation. It's basically the same design as new Lara Croft, just different hair.

The thing that I hope these companies learn in the future is that there is no style behind these new woke designs. Nothing to make them memorable. Jill's original design, like Lara Croft's original design, is iconic. It's immediately recognizable, and was even one of the few things the RE movies used because people know it and think it's hot. Being hot is not a fucking bad thing, especially in video games. I don't want to play as a character that is as boring as I am. I want escapism. I want to play as beautiful people.

That even applies to male RE characters. That redesign for Chris in RE7 is so fucking terrible, where as his look in RE5 and 6 was just fine, and didn't need to be changed. It was over the top at times, because of how muscular he was, but that's what makes him stand out. Boring dude who looks like he should be selling homes on HGTV is not an iconic Chris Redfield.

Last edited:

DryPancakes

Jan 8, 2019
Jill's new "design" if you want to call it that is as generic as bald space marine was during last generation.
I'd say "sassy strong female character" in general is the new "bald space marine", since realism is the thing to strive for nowadays there's no room for wacky designs anymore and since it's been current year for the past 5 there's no room for sexy or curvy designs anymore, so we end up with generic "average" looking women; the obssesion with realism is as much to blame as the cultural takeover, looks like there's nowhere else to go anymore other than generic designs, anything outiside of it it's either problematic or unrelaistic, or both. For some insane reason "unrealistic" became a negative trait, in the most fictional of enterteinment media known as video games no less, just think about that.

The funny thing about it is, "bald space marine" was a necessity due to the limitations in technology, same reason why ponytails were so common on female characters, hair was difficult to do, just so happen bald men end up looking pretty samey and generic due to that, nowadyas we have tech to spare, yet designs are as boring and safe as they get.

rockyt

Aug 15, 2016
I like the first outfit better from the original game not because of the sex appeal, but it felt more like she just came back from vacation and things went out of craze. Sort of fit the story better. The 2nd outfit felt like she never went on vacation at all. Just my thought.