• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAPCOM files trademark for "ONIMUSHA" (Not Renew)

Earlier this year Capcom mentioned that remasters were now a key area for them. As of now the only games they've remastered are RE titles. Onimusha titles would be perfect for this as they hold up very well.

Corpekata

Banned
It's going to be that they just renegotiated with Jean Reno's likeness for 5 dollars and a ham sandwich, so they can start reselling Onimusha 3 again.

Aeana

This is what happens when Sony leads.

It ignites a fire in Japanese developers.

It's more likely that this is what happens when publishers realize the traditional gaming market is declining and they're scrambling to fix it.

my demon oda was just last few weeks tearing up some imagawa lands in nobunaga's ambition

couldn't help but miss some onimusha genma oda

Corpsepyre

Banned
There was a rumour going around sometime back that the guys who developed Lost Planet 3 might be onto Onimusha, no? Yeah, hoping that's not true.

Granjinha

It's more likely that this is what happens when publishers realize the traditional gaming market is declining and they're scrambling to fix it.

i was going to ask how reviving a niche series is going to help that but i'm just gonna keep my mouth shut and hope it happens

There was a rumour going around sometime back that the guys who developed Lost Planet 3 might be onto Onimusha, no? Yeah, hoping that's not true.

Spark Unlimited has closed down.

Game4life

Banned

Traditional gaming market is declining so they revive a niche series? Last thing I think publishers would do in a contracting market is revive games like Shenmue and Onimusha.

i was going to ask how reviving a niche series is going to help that but i'm just gonna keep my mouth shut and hope it happens

Well really in the West not much needs to be done to help the PS4. I mean the machine is fucking killing it.

BUT Japan needs as much saving as possible, and if you notice there are titles getting announced like crazy for PS4 right now that are from Japan. So its pretty clear Sony / pubs are doing everything they can right now to revive the market there.

Yo
Yooooooooooo

I just bought Onimusha off Amazon

it is a sign from heaven

Bish has delivered us from evil. All hail Lord Bishop

Game4life

Banned
Well really in the West not much needs to be done to help the PS4. I mean the machine is fucking killing it.

BUT Japan needs as much saving as possible, and if you notice there are titles getting announced like crazy for PS4 right now that are from Japan. So its pretty clear Sony / pubs are doing everything they can right now to revive the market there.

Why Japan and not the west? Whats changed suddenly for them to warrant doing this in Japan. Publishers are not obligated to save Japanese gaming when they have huge potential in the west? I just think they are seeing a market for old school games and enthusiasm for FF and Shenmue might have something to do with it. PS4 leading is also obviously helping matters.

Traditional gaming market is declining so they revive a niche series? Last thing I think publishers would do in a contracting market is revive games like Shenmue and Onimusha.

Onimusha isn't a niche franchise, at least not in Japan. The first two games in the series sold over a million units each in Japan.

Why Japan and not the west? Whats changed suddenly for them to warrant doing this in Japan. Publishers are not obligated to save Japanese gaming when they have huge potential in the west?

Um because the Japanese market has been literally on life support for a while now? The region needs help in terms of home based consoles.

1o5nh4i.gif

KingBroly

Banned

Well...they kinda abandoned Onimusha last gen...not exactly sure why though. Seemed like there was a lot of demand for one.

Aeana

Well, it's more of a Hail Mary. Essentially they don't think they'll have a chance in the future. The longer they wait, the smaller the market will be. It's the only explanation for some of the stuff we've seen lately that makes sense to me.

Companies dont release products to save markets. They release products if they think there is a market.

Except that with conversion rates it is in Capcom, Sony, Nintendo, Square Enix, etc. etc. etc. best interests to have a thriving Japanese market. Its much better for their finances.

Well...they kinda abandoned Onimusha last gen...not exactly sure why though. Seemed like there was a lot of demand for one.

I think it sold less with each entry, and then last gen japanese devs were going through an identity crisis with trying to copy western games, thus a really Japanese series like Onimusha just ends up not being in the cards.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Deep Down was delayed so the team moved to made Onimusha, right Gaf??..right??? Hype!!!

Man, Onimusha 2... So many good times.

ANY platform, Capcom, even ones I don't presently own... if you release an HD Trilogy you'll have my money for sure!

The success they've had with the process they used for 'remastering' REmake and RE0 is probably what is leading to something similar being done for Onimusha. Capcom's so safe and predictable that it seems more likely than anything new being made, unless someone is forking out the cash upfront.

Jigorath

Banned
Would Capcom really revive a franchise like Onimusha in their current state? It's a risky move, but maybe they got some funding from Sony a la SFV. Or maybe it's just mobile stuff.

but that was over a decade ago, on the ps2. a whole decade!

Oh sure, I was just pointing out that Onimusha is a series that at one point was a big deal. It's certainly possible that not enough people care about it today, but Capcom at least have data to go on to suggest that it could be a big deal. It's also one of those franchises that for whatever reason never really caught on in the west. So while they can be playing to nostalgia with the games in Japan, for the west there's a lot of players that have just never experienced the series.

The success they've had with the process they used for 'remastering' REmake and RE0 is probably what is leading to something similar being done for Onimusha. Capcom's so safe and predictable that it seems more likely than anything new being made, unless someone is forking out the cash upfront.

Rev 2 was made on their own funds. And if they actually do a remake, I doubt they'd end it with just that. There's no way they wouldn't use it as a format to gauge interest for a sequel.

I don't blame them. Onimusha was popular back in the day, but it's a crapshoot on how it'd survive today. Ni-Oh's popularity came from Temco Koei being a trusted developer, PS exclusive shown off at Tokyo Game Show, and a battle system touted as being generally difficult.

Onimusha is definitely not the last thing on that list.

Tansut

This is one of those franchises that I feel perfectly encapsulated how great the PS2/GCN/Xbox era was. I loved it so much, and I am ready to love again.

Top Bottom