• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom France: The Great Ace Attorney is not planned to come West right now

GSR

Via Twitter:

https://twitter.com/capcom_france/status/638738807010029568

KTOUKTOUTENCAPS ‏@ktouktou 11h11 hours ago
@capcom_france Génial ! Mais en ce qui concerne Dai Gyakuten Saiban (dans le passé) vous avez aucune info ?

Capcom France ‏@capcom_france 11h11 hours ago
@ktouktou Malheureusement le titre n'est pas prévu pour sorti en Occident.

I'll wait for a fluent French speaker to weigh in, but from my knowledge and Google's translate, it seems pretty clear Capcom France thinks DGS/GAA is not in the cards.

Of course, this could be a PR rep guessing from their current knowledge, but it doesn't look good. And given the Capcom European Twitter accounts were quick to confirm AA6 this morning, it seems like they're at least somewhat in the AA loop.

Actually, if a mod could add "Twitter" to the title to be clear this isn't an official statement, and remove the "right now" (a misread on my part), I'd appreciate it.

Nyoro SF

Added "right now" eh? :) I see you are a bit optimistic, but I'm not. Capcom USA's relationship with this series has always been really testy. When your VP has to break down doors like a madman to get anything going with it it's not a good look.

EDIT: For those asking about fan translations. I believe the AAI2 fan translation took 5~6 years. If you want a fan translation for DGS I would prepare to wait and also to play it on an emulator, as it's your only choice.

I might go ahead and import DGS if there's no fan translation rumblings in a year or so. Might as well learn some new Japanese.

Kinsei

Banned
I kinda figured but confirmation still hurts. So how long do we figure a fan translation will take? Another 5 years or more due to it being a 3DS game?

GSR

Added "right now" eh? :) I see you are a bit optimistic, but I'm not. Capcom USA's relationship with this series has always been really testy. When your VP has to break down doors like a madman to get anything going with it it's not a good look.

Misremembered my earlier translation attempt and for some reason had the impression the rep had said "at the moment" or something like that. Sorry!

mp1990

Banned
Welp, tbh I wasn't expecting it to come to the west after they announced AA6 but this is still pretty sad news. Man, i really need to learn japanese :(

FluxWaveZ

I'm fluent in French; the translation is pretty simple:
@capcom_france Awesome! But about Dai Gyakuten Saiban (in the past) you don't have any info?
@ktouktou Unfortunately the game isn't planned for a Western release.
There's no "right now" contingency in the wording. It just straight up isn't.

t26

EDIT: For those asking about fan translations. I believe the AAI2 fan translation took 5~6 years. If you want a fan translation for DGS I would prepare to wait and also to play it on an emulator, as it's your only choice.

We would need a full speed emulator or flash cart that works on newer firmware for people to use any translation patch.

Zolbrod

I've finished the game and it is a BITCH to localize, much more so than any of the previous games.

One of the obvious problems is that they Americanized the previous games, and DGS is VERY obviously about Japanese people going to Britain, and all of the problems that involves (language barriers and racism among others), not to mention a famous Japanese author plays a significant role in one of the biggest cases in the game, which would be totally lost on 99% of the Western audience.

To be honest, I'd be very surprised if they ever localized this.

D-Man

I fucking knew it. This is such bullshit, Capcom. We're really gonna miss out on the game just because it's not a mainline AA game that doesn't feature Phoenix? Come on.

I said it earlier, but while I'm very thankful that we're getting AA6, I'm upset that we're going to miss out on Takumi's latest project. Being an Ace Attorney fan in the west sucks.

Nyoro SF

We would need a full speed emulator or flash cart that works on newer firmware for people to use any translation patch.

Indeed. The emulator is still a work in progress, but I'm confident that in a few years it will be very much up to snuff.

What kind of backwards-ass company still makes games only for Japan?

THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE NO MONEY CAPCOM

Don't forget Sega... heh.

ZeroX03

Banned
Let's not go crazy here, but I am disappointed at the news.

From the impressions of DGS, and what we've seen of AA6 and that team, it's not really a crazy thought. I'm inclined to agree.

Would prefer both obviously. Shame that DGS is probably dead.

Swamped

Banned
Qu'est-ce que c'est, ce bordel?

But really...i hope they change their minds in the future. I would have thought the great AA5 sales would have made them want to get more of the series out in the west.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Apparently DGS is no simple task to translate.

Not that anything is, but apparently it'd be quite a task relative to the other games.

Gotta find a way to fit hamburgers into the 1870's (or whenever this games takes place)

Squire

Banned
Qu'est-ce que c'est, ce bordel?

But really...i hope they change their minds in the future. I would have thought the great AA5 sales would have made them want to get more of the series out in the west.

They probably did. 6 is coming.

Quite impossible considering it hasn't even been 5 years since AAI2 came out in Japan (it was a 2011 release). I think it was about 3 and a half years or so?

I would expect a slightly longer wait for a fan translation this time, given that 3DS games are probably more difficult to hack than DS games.

Usobuko

Banned

Risk averse Capcom is short sighted Capcom.

If your game isn't hitting all possible relevant platforms if they are profitable and opportunity cost allows so, you dun goofed.

Kinsei

Banned
I've finished the game and it is a BITCH to localize, much more so than any of the previous games.

One of the obvious problems is that they Americanized the previous games, and DGS is VERY obviously about Japanese people going to Britain, and all of the problems that involves (language barriers and racism among others), not to mention a famous Japanese author plays a significant role in one of the biggest cases in the game, which would be totally lost on 99% of the Western audience.

But that can easily be explained away by saying Phoenix has a Japanese ancestor. Even if the impact is lost on the Western audience, I'm sure they'd pick up on the fact that he's a famous Japanese author.

I find it baffling that the game with Sherlock Holmes and Watson is one we're not getting here in the west. It seems like it's be the most marketable game n the franchise to western consumers.

Nyoro SF

Quite impossible considering it hasn't even been 5 years since AAI2 came out in Japan (it was a 2011 release). I think it was about 3 and a half years or so?

I would expect a slightly longer wait for a fan translation this time, given that 3DS games are probably more difficult to hack than DS games.

I see. Well, here's to the future.

"The game takes place in Japan"
Oh hey, major problems solved!
Japanese culture references in AA2 didn't suddenly make the game un-localizable.

random25

Damn it. I'm really looking forward to GAA. Hopefully they'll change their minds or somebody will help with the publishing and localization for this even if it will take a while.

georly

We shouldn't have to trade. There's no reason for us not to get both.

It'd be nice if somehow we could hold AA6 money at ransom until they acquiesce and localize DGS. Too bad that would probably mean they'd never localize ANY AA game ever again (as if gamers could unite for a cause anyway).

Surely they'd know it would sell just as much as AA5, no? Do they think it would sell less? Would it? AA fans don't buy AA games just because of phoenix wright, do they?

GamerJM

Banned
Dream is dead homies

I dunno if I even want to import this tbh, at least not now. AA6 interests me more but either way I don't really like the direction this series is going in. A non-modern day AA is less appealing to me and the fact that the game doesn't really have any of the original characters is also super disappointing, plus Shu Takumi's team hasn't really impressed me since Apollo Justice (or hell, maybe even Trials, Apollo was good but it's weaker than AA 1-3, 5, and the Investigations). Meanwhile the main series team seems to have no idea where they should even take the series since they're afraid of alienating some part of their fanbase, so they're basically soft rebooting with each new entry. Of course I'll still buy all of these games, but I'm way way more hyped for Zero Escape 3 at this point.

Daweex

Banned

All they have to do is imply that Phoenix's family was from Japan and then it migrated to America.
Just call the main character ''Ryu Raito'' and then say that the Raito family changed its name to Wright in order to integrate more to American society.
How is that hard? Are we really gonna miss out on Takumi's latest project for such a dumb reason?

Daweex

Banned
Ok no fuck this, you know what we should do guys?
We should let Capcom know through social media that we'll boycott AA6 unless they translate DGS as well.
Let's not this let this go the AAI2 route, let's change their mind.

To be fair, this is the same sort of PR statement you'd hear from any company about a game whose Western localization has not been announced, even if it was being planned behind the scenes. The fact that AA6's localization has been announced itself is the more troublesome fact.

Speaking broadly, and not in reference to this particular game, there are cases where making Japan-only games makes sense. The most obvious cases would be licensed games, where you're making an anime/manga tie-in to a franchise with limited if any visibility outside Japan.

GSR

To be fair, this is the same sort of PR statement you'd hear from any company about a game whose Western localization has not been announced, even if it was being planned behind the scenes. The fact that AA6's localization has been announced itself is the more troublesome fact.

Yeah, exactly. The statement itself is fairly boilerplate - but the timing relative to AA6 is fairly telling. I don't suppose anyone has any records of Capcom giving a similar statement about DGS before now? I seem to just remember generic "the series is important to us" statements.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ok no fuck this, you know what we should do guys?
We should let Capcom know through social media that we'll boycott AA6 unless they translate DGS as well.
Let's not this let this go the AAI2 route, let's change their mind.

That's an absolutely awful idea. That's a good way to kill the series dead.

Top Bottom