• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom had only one employee on Street Fighter V's netcode until launch of game

Tripon

So somebody found out that a Capcom employee linkedin profile. As part of his profile, he mentions that he worked on Street Fighter V's netcode. The interesting/concerning thing is that he mentions until the launch of SFV, he was the only employee working on the netcode. This includes the period when the betas were rolling out. This could be part of the reason why the netcode was outsourced to a mobile Korean developer, Proudnet.

HBJxtuu.jpg

Here are Ultrachen TV (Including UltraDavid, James Chen, Tasty Steve, and Sajam) discussing Capcom only having one person on Street Fighter V's netcode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy2ePkIKFZc

Neoxon

My god. The fact that the servers are even working decently at all should be an accomplishment for him (hell, the game runs pretty smoothly online for the most part on my end). Though this would certainly explain the slow fixes during the betas (since it says that he was the only one working on the servers up until the game's launch).

Sayad

If they were that cheap with the rest of development, they probably made bank from the game selling 1.4m.

HardRojo

What's funny is that people actually joked about this during the different Betas. Capcom played us like a damn fiddle!

One hand I'm angry that Capcom continues to do nonsense like this when they should know better. Other hand that is really impressive for the person who did all the work. But once again, why the hell was this a one man operation if you put so much stock into online functions from inception.

Neoxon

One hand I'm angry that Capcom continues to do nonsense like this when they should know better. Other hand that is really impressive for the person who did all the work. But once again, why the hell was this a one man operation if you put so much stock into online functions from inception.
While I do agree that Capcom should have hired more staff, the fact that the online is as good as it is (so long as you have a solid connection) should be an accomplishment on his part.

That 1.4 million was as of March 31st, so they must be a decent bit past that by now.
It doesn't seem like it given that number is shipped/sold-in and digital sales combined. Their actual sales (sold through) to customers seem far lower given lower online player numbers from rankings and a severe lack of representation on anyone's sales charts since March. Retailers won't be needing to take in additional inventory until they deplete what they already have, so they're probably not much further than that right now.

Garou

Do they really need to reinvent the netcode every time? They probably ported it from SF4 I would imagine?

farisr

That 1.4 million was as of March 31st, so they must be a decent bit past that by now.

1.4 million shipped as of march. We don't know how many of those shipped copies actually sold to consumers. It's actually within the realm of possibility that retailers were overstocked and didn't order many more copies from capcom, so the number could actually be very close to what they reported. We won't really find out until whenever their next report is I guess.

Aters

If they are building the whole thing on top of SFIV's code, I can't see why one man can't do it, especially when it's outsourced.

L Thammy

I feel like this guy deserves to be given a name so that people can properly thank him for his work. They can call him Khim the Netman or something.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Never has there been an instance in gaming where there really are 2 perspectives that are equally correct.

Perspective 1: Street Fighter V NetCode is not great. True. It's not the best, especially compared to the competition.

Perspective 2: The NetCode is amazing given it was done by one fucking guy. True. It's amazing it goes online at all given one fucking guy was doing it.

Ferrio

Banned
It isn't some of the best? Explain? Also, I'm speaking in terms of actual latency mitigation techniques.

Edit: could someone point me to a game with better netcode? Because now I'm curious.

Any properly implemented GGPO game, Killer Instinct, maybe even the new MKX.

SFV netcode has a problem with desyncs.

Vex_

Banned

Ahh I see. Never played those two games. No idea mkx was the king of online netcode.

Those games never desync either? Wow.

LCGeek

formerly sane

GGPO for fighters is like lag compensation for first person shooters, just a big ass game changer.

I agree on SF5 but to be honest its better than my experience with namco fighters, eek don't want even bother with tekken/sc cause of it.

So you intend to launch a primarily competitive multiplayer focused game in a series with millions of long-time dedicated fans around the world and you have the gall to be like ''Eh, Paul can handle that shit himself..." Truly baffling, lol.

So you intend to launch a primarily competitive multiplayer focused game in a series with millions of long-time dedicated fans around the world and you have the gall to be like ''Eh, Paul can handle that shit himself..." Truly baffling, lol.

Paul is the hero fighting games deserves.

Top Bottom