• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom is working on a Resident Evil 4 remake

Bullet Club

Capcom is working on a Resident Evil 4 remake

Osaka-based M-Two is leading development on the latest series reimaginging, sources reveal

Capcom has greenlit a Resident Evil 4 remake.

Following its reimaginings of Resident Evil 2 and 3, multiple development sources have told VGC that the Resident Evil 4 remake has now entered full production with an estimated release window in 2022.

Development is being led by Osaka-based M-Two, the new studio founded by former PlatinumGames head Tatsuya Minami, which has been preparing for the project since 2018.

However, similar to how 2020’s Resident Evil 3 was led by company Red Works, Capcom’s internal teams and other external studios are likely to lend support.

It’s understood that the remake has the blessing of original game director Shinji Mikami, who officially declined an approach to lead the project himself but has provided informal advice on its direction.

The studio helming the remake has been in operation since 2018 and is comprised of many former Platinum and Capcom employees.

M-Two recently contributed to the development of 2019’s Resident Evil 3, but its role on that game was always intended as a precursor to its main project.

2005’s Resident Evil 4 is Capcom’s highest rated game of all-time, according to review aggregation site Metacritic, with sales totalling 7.5 million copies across various platforms.

The horror instalment is regarded as one of the most influential games of the 2000s, with its off-the-shoulder viewpoint in particular widely adopted by many third-person shooters that followed.

The game overhauled much of the series’ tropes up until that point, with survival elements such as scarce ammunition made less relevant, and a faster – and tense – pace introduced.

Even the series’ titular zombies were replaced by a fanatical religious cult. The Los Illuminados would swarm the player in large groups, instead of appearing as lone, stumbling baddies like in past Resident Evil games.

In the 15 years since its release, Resident Evil 4 has been ported and remastered dozens of times, but never fully remade.

The game was released with new content for PlayStation 2 shortly after its GameCube debut, and a Wii version arrived in 2007 with motion control aiming. A HD remaster was later released for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC in 2011, and then again for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in 2016.

2020’s Resident Evil 3 features a number of potential nods to 4’s forthcoming remake, including the introduction of Parasite zombies – which appear similar to Resi 4’s Plagas – and at least one sequence similar to a Quick Time Event (QTE), which featured heavily in the fourth game.

Although many original Resident Evil 4 team members remain at Capcom, it’s unclear whether they have any involvement with M-Two’s project. One person with knowledge of development told VGC the remake is being directed by a newcomer to the series.

Resident Evil 4’s original lead coder, Kiyohiko Sakata – another PlatinumGames veteran – was the game director for the Resident Evil 3 remake.

Producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi is also still at Capcom and worked on Resident Evil 6, while Resident Evil 4 designer Kouji Kakae recently worked on Devil May Cry 5.

Resident Evil 4’s original director, Shinji Mikami was approached to co-found M-Two but turned down the role due to his commitment to Bethesda’s GhostWire: Tokyo, VGC was told.

Another person with knowledge of the studio suggested that the name ‘M-Two’ was initially a reference to Mikami and Minami, who worked closely together at both Capcom and PlatinumGames.

The next entry in Capcom ‘s long-running series will be Resident Evil 8, offering a continuation of the revamped first-person mechanics introduced with 2017’s Resident Evil 7.

According to info provided by reliable insider Dusk Golem and verified by VGC, Resident Evil 8 will release on current and next-gen consoles in 2021.

Like Resident Evil 7, the 2021 game will feature a first-person perspective and returning protagonist Ethan Winters.

However, the game will feature many narrative and mechanical departures for the series, including hallucination and insanity segments, as well as enemies based on mythical creatures such as werewolves.

Resident Evil 8 will mark the third consecutive annual release for the series, following 2019’s Resident Evil 2 and this April’s Resident Evil 3.

In recent years Capcom has successfully focused on creating new games in its existing franchises. Resident Evil 2, released in January 2019, “exceeded expectations” with sales approaching six million units.

It’s understood that in Europe, Resident Evil 3’s launch sales were about a third lower than its predecessor’s. The remake saw a significant drop in physical sales, which is unsurprising considering shops are currently closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Capcom was unavailable for comment at the time of publishing this story.

Source: VGC

GHG

Gold Member
tenor.gif

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Honestly thats stupid. Give me Code Veronica but actually I dint know be FAITHFUL to the game and add in everything thats in the game in the remake and then call it a day with the remakes for resident evil. Continue on with newer ideas for resident evil and boot up dino crisis again

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Honestly thats stupid. Give me Code Veronica but actually I dint know be FAITHFUL to the game and add in everything thats in the game in the remake and then call it a day with the remakes for resident evil. Continue on with newer ideas for resident evil and boot up dino crisis again
It's not stupid from a business perspective. Not many people remember Code Veronica and the game didn't review that well, a ton of people know Resident Evil 4 and for many of them it's the best RE. Of course reaching that high bar again will be very difficult for Capcom.

Personally I'd love if they returned to the idea of doing a Dino Crisis remake.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If they can soemhow make it more horror like RE2 then I'm all for it
If not, what's the point?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
It's not stupid from a business perspective. Not many people remember Code Veronica and the game didn't review that well, a ton of people know Resident Evil 4 and for many of them it's the best RE. Of course reaching that high bar again will be very difficult for Capcom.

Personally I'd love if they returned to the idea of doing a Dino Crisis remake.
Resident evil 4 is still so good that it doesnt need to be remade though, unless they completely change it up for the better and add in more things and taker certain things out like the length of the castle

RE2 and 3 are amazing, but in terms of games I want to actually play and replay, 4 is about 10,000x better.

They could fix up the comedic dialogue and add more horror atmosphere. Maybe change that napolean villain guy into something a little better. It would be one of the greatest games of all time.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Despite how much I enjoyed 3, I am well aware of its downfalls as a remake - it has more than 2. I don't like the direction they're going in, so I don't want a remake of 4.

Instead I'll just plug the amazing work on the Resident Evil 4 HD Project. To give you an idea of the effort, they actually found a number of the original real world places in Spain that Capcom took pictures of when they were making RE4, making brand new HD textures themselves. Can't get better than that.

Last edited:

TGO

Minor spoilers for RE3make.
But why bother with the ending and the after credits scene to just jump right into RE4make which as is, scraps the story?
RE3make highlighted Jill was going after Umbrella
More so then the original.
And now they're going to repeat the mistake?
I love RE4, but it did fuck up the series
They had a chance to fix that.

-Arcadia-

Banned
After how the RE3 remake turned out, with a lot of missing stuff, hopefully they’ve only been tapped to give RE4 a visual redo.

Even then, I hope they stay true to RE4’s style. Imagining RE4 looking like the remade RE2/RE3, although that won’t necessarily happen, is crazy tonally dissonant.

MiguelItUp

Man, I'd prefer RE1 considering we haven't seen it with that engine and gameplay mechanics. I'd love it so much.

I love RE4, don't get me wrong, but that's where the over-the-shoulder view was born. So it already feels similar enough to the remake style.

Whatever, I'll still play it, lmao. I'd just prefer RE1 by a landslide. Or even Code Veronica or RE0, honestly.

Still think wanting remakes of critically acclaimed games is a mental illness but yeah.
Really? I like the idea for games that deserve it. I mean, the difference between FF7's original and remake is surreal. I think that's a great example.

I think my issue is making changes that are going to tamper with the outcome of the product. I'm all for more content and some new/extra things, but severely twisting things up to the point where it's worse than the original really sucks. I mean, I'd consider that a failed remake.

Last edited:
I agree

I really don't understand how a perfectly playable game like RE4 needs a remaster, its not like it suffers from outdated mechanics o design problems like the 2d games.

just my opinion though

The not being able to move while shooting needs to piss of back to nether realm

It was bad then and its totally unacceptable now.

Arachnid

Surely I'm not in the minority In believing this is good news?
This would be fucking fantastic. RE4 is, to this day, my all time favorite video game. I'd be there day one for the collectors edition. I'm also one of those people who thinks the original RE4 was a lightning in a bottle kind of situation. I'm not sure they could recreate the same pacing and magic without doing a 1:1 remake (which I don't want since I always can and always do replay the OG game.; I actually want them to make it more of a horror focus).

I wish that article elaborated on the nature of the "sources" though.

Minor spoilers for RE3make.
But why bother with the ending and the after credits scene to just jump right into RE4make which as is, scraps the story?
RE3make highlighted Jill was going after Umbrella
More so then the original.
I'm still pretty sure that ending was meant to be Rebecca. The green shirt is a big pointer to that (RE and its color coded characters). My personal take is that they were insinuating that Rebecca was going to make a T-virus vaccine. Jill certainly isn't going to do anything with it. Vendetta also showed that Rebecca shifted focus to curing the various biological strains and diseases in the REverse.

Then again, it'd be pretty weird of Jill to give it to an 18-19 year old instead of a bigger company (though it's not like RE thinks out story points).

Last edited:
I've seen this rumor, which has me terrified.

My kneejerk reaction to it was....I cry. Why in the flipping heck would Capcom remake perfection?!

After reading the info though...it has me a bit softened up to it. A bit. A blessing by the og director Shinji Mikami to go ahead on it?

But Capcom has done so much with RE2R and RE3R to have me suspicious of it. How will they cut content from it this time, and exclude modes from it this time?

Yet as a RE diehard, I'm probably gonna buy it full price and beat it regardless...hmm.

MadAnon

Seems like a waste of time and money to me. RE4 is still perfectly playable today. The only RE that still needs a remake is CV but even then i'd prefer they focus on RE8 or new IPs.
As someone who never played RE franchise before remakes, I tried RE4 recently. Ditched it after 30 minutes at that first village because of how clunky and outdated it felt. I bet tons of people who otherwise wouldn't touch those outdated originals, played RE2 and 3 for the first time because of remakes.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
As someone who never played RE franchise before remakes, I tried RE4 recently. Ditched it after 30 minutes at that first village because of how clunky and outdated it felt. I bet tons of people played RE2 and 3 for the first time, who otherwise wouldn't touch those outdated originals.
There are people who consider games from even current gen to be outdated. Everyone has his/her own standards of what they consider outdated or unplayable.

For me Code Veronica is much more in need for a remake than RE4. But each to his own.

Last edited:
I don't see a point in this and I have a hard time imagining it topping the original. It could still be really good, but I have a feeling most of us will elect to play the OG instead of the remake as the years go by.

-Troid-

Banned
On one hand if this is real it'll probably be next gen and look fucking amazing. On the other hand I can see them fucking it up somehow. Like they could cut out some of the stranger/sillier parts or something; or ruin the campy dialogue by making it blander and more serious.
They could make it more actiony and ruin the pacing/tension.
Ugh I feel like Fox Mulder right now. I wanna believe they could do RE4 justice but RE3make raises some serious eyebrows.

Saber

Gold Member
Even though I'm not a fan of Re4, this will be lovely.

Can't wait for the reaction of people who are against the concept of the original Re dealing with remakes like that.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I hope they'll remake this game, story and characters from the ground up. I really don't like RE4 story and characters beyond Leon and Ada. It's just a super silly circus with clowns and the worst B-movie imaginable (which I can't say about modern RE2 and RE3). Not to mention over-the-top QTEs etc. etc. etc. Give me proper sequels to RE2 and RE3 story and gameplay-wise. Also, fuck parasites and give me regular zombies.

I liked Resident Evil 4 but I think they should take a break from Resident Evil remakes. I'm more interested to see new chapters to the the ongoing story Resident Evil 8 and possibly Revelations 3.

This game doesn't even need a remake xD. Just clean up the resolution from the Gamecube version, add in the bonus content from the other versions and you're good.

I think maybe it's time Capcom focus on a new RE installment built off the backs of the remakes but moves the storyline forward in some meaningful way. AAA, 3rd-person survival-horror action epic taking the storyline ahead and in some new directions, maybe with a new cast of mainstays taking the torch from established veterans (but do it the right way, like Bad Boys for Life, not the shit way like Ghostbusters 2016).

TGO

Like I said earlier in the other thread.
RE CODE VERONICA definitely needs doing.
But this?
only if it's a completely different game.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's even more of a paradox If we think there's risk they remove cqc moves

Seeing a secret services Agent shooting while on the move and nothing else would be even more unrealistic thans suplexes
It goes further than that

The whole game is based with how Leon moves. A more fast paced game, like it is today, needs more wide areas to compensate the number of enemies. QTE was kinda new back then, but now could work just some parts - and Krauser is not one of then. Just doing the exactly same game is no better than a new remaster port.

Also, RE4 is a long game, and in times when development is expensive as hell, everyone expect something here and there to be cut. Can you imagine the first chapter with no dog?! Fuck this game

rofif

Banned
To everyone saying it was milked... SO WHAT ?!
They did released a version or 2 on every system but none is as good as gc version. Maybe the ultimate hd on pc comes close after shaders fixes etc. Nothing wrong with releaseing game on more systems. Don't see any milking in that..

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Biohazard 4 is one of the greatest survival horror games ever created. It doesn’t need a damn thing. But okay, if you wanna try. I guess you can. :messenger_sunglasses:

VGEsoterica

I mean at this rate if they keep selling I imagine every entry will be remade. I’d rather see a remake of Zero myself

Top Bottom