• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom, it's time for a new Resident Evil: Outbreak game

Urishizu

(Mods, feel free to let me know if this post is out of line. I'm happy to remove it if so).

Hey guys,

I 100% agree with this thread and I've desperately wanted a HD remake of File #1 and #2 for years now. I had the opportunity to play them over the net while the primary servers were still up (which... was longer than a decade ago now...). I was also living in Japan I think when the final set of servers went down on their side.

After not seeing anything materialize in the last couple years, I took it upon myself to make a spiritual successor to Resident Evil: Outbreak called... well.. Outbreak. It's available on Steam here and supports quite a bit of content in up-to 4-player online coop as well as single-player. Features multiple unique characters, tank controls (if you so choose), full controller support and many of the common trappings inspired by Resident Evil & Silent Hill.

mn11aPU.jpg

I'm not sure if we'll ever see a real successor or remake to the series, but I'm doing my best to carry it forward. I really loved that series.

Jawmuncher

Bringing the Outbreak games back would require a very serious revamp of the game's engine. I really doubt they ever get re-released as it just doesn't sound financially feasible next to the effort involved.

Consdering we're getting CVX on PS4 now, and I doubt they're doing much more work into that than what they did for 360 and PS3. I could see it as being feasible.

(Mods, feel free to let me know if this post is out of line. I'm happy to remove it if so).

Hey guys,

I 100% agree with this thread and I've desperately wanted a HD remake of File #1 and #2 for years now. I had the opportunity to play them over the net while the primary servers were still up (which... was longer than a decade ago now...). I was also living in Japan I think when the final set of servers went down on their side.

After not seeing anything materialize in the last couple years, I took it upon myself to make a spiritual successor to Resident Evil: Outbreak called... well.. Outbreak. It's available on Steam here and supports quite a bit of content in up-to 4-player online coop as well as single-player. Features multiple unique characters, tank controls (if you so choose), full controller support and many of the common trappings inspired by Resident Evil & Silent Hill.

I'm not sure if we'll ever see a real successor or remake to the series, but I'm doing my best to carry it forward. I really loved that series.

Nice, adding this to my wishlist.

c-murph

As shitty and lazy as some of their HD ports are I would accept it to be able to play Outbreak online again.

LUXURY

I'm pretty surprised this has not happened already. One would think it'd be easy to port them to new generations and support online play. There are ways to play it today still, but it'd be nicer to have officially back. Capcom would make a nice chunk of change with it too I think.

I was never able to experience this online as I didn't have high speed internet back then, so when I learned of the Outbreak Server Project I was amazed a group of dedicated fans could get it online again. My friend and I play from time to time and it truly is fun. It probably isn't for everyone due to the gameplay and style, but this is just what made the series great to me.

Tensketch

I tracked down an Internet adapter just for this game.
One of my fondest memories is playing boss rush mode and getting absolutely destroyed by Thanatos, we were seconds away from killing him and if he dies whilst you're in critical it doesn't count as a win for you (think still being alive but not making it to the Chopper in time at the end of no mercy L4D).

Anyway, I'm crawling about, hammering the help button, my infection gauge is rocketing, I'm literally about to die when another player risks everything, charges past Thanatos and picks me up and takes me to the end. I didnt know the players name but God damn, it was and still is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

That game was amazing.

gafneo

Banned
I never played online because PS2 would not connect to my dial up back in the day. Game just needs to keep the crappy cheesy graphics and tank controls. They add to the terror and fun. If they went for full on production, it would be fun if Re7 included a survival co-op mode where people had a chance to control the bakers, zombies, molded, dogs, or hunters. Say if you got killed, you would just spawn in an enemy ai within the level. There was a mode like this in Perfect Dark, but why not an Re game where it would be more intense?

They were bad games.

If Capcom gonna do RE co-op without action again they need a total redesign and rethink how they play.

I played them loads, even imported a US PS2 and game because the first was offline only in EU, but only because I'm a big RE fan, being objective they were awful.

Aswitch

Outbreak3_2.jpg

It's far beyond past time that we should have had a new Outbreak game, or a remake, by now. This is the era of horror where co-op/multiplayer, survival and old school survival horror are now the big thing - and have been for many years. I can totally see Outbreak selling over a million copies, it has all the ingredients to make a great modern horror game.

So, why Outbreak and what is it? The first Outbreak game came out in 2003 (Japan) and 2004 internationally and was met with a mostly positive reception. It played like your traditional Resident Evil game; fixed cameras, tank controls, limited inventory/resources and lots of unlockables. The game could be played single player with AI bots or in Japan and America, online. There was even a secret mode to play entirely in solo. The game had you working together with teammates, issuing commands, solving puzzles, shooting zombies and exploring a linear chapter-based scenario in real-time.

If Capcom decided to revive the series, and incorporate modern game design as well as keeping the core mechanics, it could be a HUGE hit. Think about it: Resident Evil, co-op/multiplayer, survival elements such as collect x items to make y ammo, collect x recipe to make y herb, and include a ton of unlockables to keep replay value high. Hell, they could even go as far as incorporating some sort of Twitch chat featurette whereby the chat can determine certain RNG factors such as spawn rate, boss fights, resource frequency, etc. Also, imagine if the game had character creation? Sure, the characters in the two games may or may not suit your tastes and some of them were pretty cool, but if they could incorporate a way to make your own avatar... it could be something else entirely.

See, the thing is, for a 2003/2004 game, this game was way ahead of its time. It had all the elements that is popular in horror now, back then. Capcom has killed Resident Evil with the same shoot bang Hollywood crap and butchering sacred tradition in order to squeeze more bucks out of us, but a whole new Outbreak could turn the tables. Capcom can have their single player, their multiplayer, their DLC, survival elements and unlockables and it would work because it's already been done and done successfully with both Outbreak games.

THIS THREAD THIS THREAD THIS THREAD!!!!!

My hope would be an RE Outbreak Collection (somewhat similar to masterchief, but without the disaster of its release) That would have 1,2, and some of the unreleased scenarios for the cancelled file 3. I think that would probably be the more likely decision in order to test the waters to see sales and also introduce fans who didn't give this one a chance before and then ideally following up with a file 3? or 4?

It's sad but i felt that Outbreak was really ahead of its time since a lot of people didn't have broadband internet 2004 like they do now. I personally like not having voice chat and relying on your characters to communicate but I would at least give it an option to players this time around as well since that seemed to be a big negative to some people.

Additionally you technically can still play the old outbreaks ONLINE with others (albeit in a more complex and difficult manner) through emulation using pcsx. I've personally done it for a while and it was a fuckin great(minor random crashes aside). Don't do as much now, but do hop on every once in a while.

For people that are interested, the site is here: http://obsrv.org/index.php

Tells you mostly all that you need to get things up and running with either emulator or a japanese ps2. People there are super helpful.

Even though i heard rumors about these games getting rereleased, I really fucking hope they do. E3 would be so perfect for this considering that RE7 has come out and mindshare of RE has died down and the RE2 Remake is still prob ways ahead (could see some actual gameplay and possibly a demo around E3 though).

As a HUGE RE fan I really hope this becomes a reality at some point.

It's sad but i felt that Outbreak was really ahead of its time since a lot of people didn't have broadband internet 2004 like they do now. I personally like not having voice chat and relying on your characters to communicate but I would at least give it an option to players this time around as well since that seemed to be a big negative to some people.
Absolutely this. Both Outbreak games were a decade ahead of their time, just think about the popular survival games nowadays and think how this could have applied to Outbreak should it release today.

Additionally you technically can still play the old outbreaks ONLINE with others (albeit in a more complex and difficult manner) through emulation using pcsx. I've personally done it for a while and it was a fuckin great(minor random crashes aside). Don't do as much now, but do hop on every once in a while.
It should be said, at least for me, you cannot play these games online if you're not using a wired connection. I can't confirm this, but I've been told this is the case and going by my own experience.

Even though i heard rumors about these games getting rereleased, I really fucking hope they do. E3 would be so perfect for this considering that RE7 has come out and mindshare of RE has died down and the RE2 Remake is still prob ways ahead (could see some actual gameplay and possibly a demo around E3 though).

There's been rumours, I think some Spanish or Swedish website listed a Outbreak remake by accident or something, and that was last year.

Jackpot

Banned
I like them as RE games but they really highlighted how unsuitable the formula was for online.

The formula requires slow-paced exploration and mulling over puzzles whilst slowly coming to grips with the layout of the environment. Online turns everything into a rush. Other players might know precisely where puzzle pieces are and which rooms they link to, leaving you to wander rooms without realising they've already been ransacked. Or solving a puzzle only to receive an ammo or health item instead of a key.

If you take the "wrong" room 3 times in a row you can end up completely exhausting all your health & ammo and surrounded by monsters. All those concourses in the zoo filled with lions, hyenas, etc. Or all the deadends in the Apple Inn with the wave of zombies progressing through it.

Lifeline

I got the outbreak games as part of a bundle with Veronica X and RE4 as a kid.

I remember completely hating the outbreak games. RE4 blew my mind though.

Veronica X I just got stuck in pretty early on.

If they do another outbreak game I'll give it a shot. The ideas in the OP sound cool enough.

Ratros

I like them as RE games but they really highlighted how unsuitable the formula was for online.

The formula requires slow-paced exploration and mulling over puzzles whilst slowly coming to grips with the layout of the environment. Online turns everything into a rush. Other players might know precisely where puzzle pieces are and which rooms they link to, leaving you to wander rooms without realising they've already been ransacked. Or solving a puzzle only to receive an ammo or health item instead of a key.

If you take the "wrong" room 3 times in a row you can end up completely exhausting all your health & ammo and surrounded by monsters. All those concourses in the zoo filled with lions, hyenas, etc. Or all the deadends in the Apple Inn with the wave of zombies progressing through it.

Sounds like we need some procedurally generated maps. Or reboot the series in Left 4 Dead style maybe?

cvxfreak

Consdering we're getting CVX on PS4 now, and I doubt they're doing much more work into that than what they did for 360 and PS3. I could see it as being feasible.

The infrastructure for CVX on PS4 exists. It was rebuilt to be MT Framework compatible when it hit PS360 for the purpose of carrying it forward to modern consoles if the need arises.

Outbreak is a different beast that would need to be massively redone to be palatable to modern audiences. The game engine would have to be ported over and put on MT Framework. The online infrastructure would need to be revamped to comply with modern online matchmaking systems (add voice chat), the loading times reduced (which affects online multiplayer), controls modernized, ugly textures touched up, etc.

All of the above would make for an interesting remaster project, but unlike RE4, REmake, Zero and CODE: Veronica, the Outbreak titles are not mainline entries (even from a plot perspective, unlike the Chronicles games) and generally received lackluster reception at the time of their launch.

There's just no comparison whatsoever between HD remakes of CV and the Outbreak titles.

I remember one of the capcom unity reps saying there was an possibility of doing an HD remaster which could pave the way for a sequel.

I might have to try to do some digging this evening to find the exact quote, but I remember it also being along the lines of how the RE2make happened.

as in the very vague "if there is interest in the fanbase for it maybe we'll do it or maybe we won't."

Aswitch

It should be said, at least for me, you cannot play these games online if you're not using a wired connection. I can't confirm this, but I've been told this is the case and going by my own experience.

You're totally right. Definitely recommended to use a hardwired connection. I saw on their forums that a few people managed to get wireless working someway, but yeah I definitely wouldn't recommend that considering the huge crapshoot that is an emulator especially in an online environment.

Aswitch

Also saw these videos last year (that you can of course take with a grain of salt) regarding rumors of an outbreak rerelease. Seems like it could possibly still be true and that the project was just pushed back to this year.....maybe lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwEAyEZta0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=WPwEAyEZta0&v=-8RfYKMY3I8

One thing i was curious of though (especially according to that re2 remake project that got shutdown since capcom is making a remake) was that they would've shutdown the fan made servers for file 1 and 2. Either that or it could be possibly that it's legally ok since the game hasn't been remade and that it's the original game but still something to think about consider how takedowny? that capcom is regarding their ips lol.

Urishizu

Hey guys,

This isn't going to be a masterpiece by any means, but I'm continuing on my quest to bring cooperative survival horror experiences back. I just put my latest attempt up on Greenlight which is bringing my Outbreak series into 3D with fixed camera angles and some significant graphical bells and whistles. If you enjoyed the style of old games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill, this will hopefully bring back some fond memories. It'll never be as good as the real thing, but hopefully I can create a unique world and carry over some popular tropes.

You can check it out on Greenlight here.

Still hoping for a remaster one day for Resident Evil: Outbreak though. I'd love to play those games with voice chat, but hopefully I can get close at recapturing that real experience in an all new game.

Thanks!

Jawmuncher

Hey guys,

This isn't going to be a masterpiece by any means, but I'm continuing on my quest to bring cooperative survival horror experiences back. I just put my latest attempt up on Greenlight which is bringing my Outbreak series into 3D with fixed camera angles and some significant graphical bells and whistles. If you enjoyed the style of old games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill, this will hopefully bring back some fond memories. It'll never be as good as the real thing, but hopefully I can create a unique world and carry over some popular tropes.

Still hoping for a remaster one day for Resident Evil: Outbreak though. I'd love to play those games with voice chat, but hopefully I can get close at recapturing that real experience in an all new game.

Thanks!

Hell Yes!

Vibranium

Banned
I feel like whatever version of the RE Engine that RE2make runs on could easily be used with recycled assets for a new Outbreak game. Wait and see I guess.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Damn dude, I'll be voting for this, looks great! Thanks for bringing this to attention.

Urishizu

I feel like whatever version of the RE Engine that RE2make runs on could easily be used with recycled assets for a new Outbreak game. Wait and see I guess.

Damn dude, I'll be voting for this, looks great! Thanks for bringing this to attention.

Thanks! Anything you can do to share it with other fans of the original games is infinitely appreciated! :) I'll work hard to bring a great experience forward.

Urishizu

After they REmake 2 & 3 they should milk all those assets and make a rebooted outbreak from there.

RE2 was a masterpiece, but RE3 will always have a very special place with me. I really hope we see a remake of it with all of the bells and whistles. But yes, please make more Outbreak games with those assets.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Looks great, definitely voted yes.

Urishizu

Hi All,

I'm going to post one final time to this thread as I'm sure I've overstayed my welcome, but I think this will be relevant to people's interests.

Outbreak: The New Nightmare (heavily inspired by classic co-op survival horror like RE:Outbreak and Silent Hill) is now available on Steam Early Access!

You can check it out here if you're interested!

Hi All,

I'm going to post one final time to this thread as I'm sure I've overstayed my welcome, but I think this will be relevant to people's interests.

Outbreak: The New Nightmare (heavily inspired by classic co-op survival horror like RE:Outbreak and Silent Hill) is now available on Steam Early Access!

You can check it out here if you're interested!

Will pick it up later tonight (it's fairly priced on sale). Best luck to you and the Dev team.

Top Bottom