• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom new game countdown? (Sengoku Basara 3)

Excellent. So happy to hear that Onimusha is going to be back (as long as it's more like 1, 2, and 3 than like Shin Onimusha). Pretty much the only favorite franchise still missing from consoles this gen is Kingdom Hearts at this point (and that one's gonna be a very long wait).

Nemesis_

This would look like sex with MT Framework. PLLLLLEEEEASSSSEEEE BE MT FRAMEWORK CAPCOM!

I would hate this to be some shitty Unreal Engine 3 crap that's been farmed out to some western company. Onimusha MUST BE MADE BY THE JAPANESE.
And not Dawn of Dreams-like

Spiegel

Yes! New Onimusha!

This will be some disappointment like Onimusha characters being in a Sengoku Basara fighting game or something like that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clearly it will be for the Wii with intricate M+ exclusive sword fighting that will revolutionise the way we think about games.

duckroll

It's possible they're using the Sengoku Basara portal to pimp a new Onimusha game. It would make sense if you consider that Sengoku Basara is the 'hot' period Japan game series from Capcom now, while Onimusha had not had a release in a long time now...

Nemesis_

Tiduz said:
i hope you are joking.

onimusha 5 with framework engine plz
I'm not joking, I don't think I'd complaing if it were on Wii. That being said, I'd prefer it on 360/PS3 but I really don't care as long as I get more Onimusha.

Wii hate is so shit.

duckroll

Nemesis556 said:
I'm not joking, I don't think I'd complaing if it were on Wii. That being said, I'd prefer it on 360/PS3 but I really don't care as long as I get more Onimusha.

Wii hate is so shit.

Well, I really hope it's on 360/PS3 because a) Onimusha games have always been really good looking games, b) Capcom Wii games haven't been particularly impressive looking.

Nemesis_

duckroll said:
Well, I really hope it's on 360/PS3 because a) Onimusha games have always been really good looking games, b) Capcom Wii games haven't been particularly impressive looking.
Yeah you have a point. Mind you, Capcom haven't really made a Wii game yet. ;)

duckroll

Nemesis556 said:
Yeah you have a point. Mind you, Capcom haven't really made a Wii game yet. ;)

Well, Monster Hunter Tri looks pretty good for a MH game, but I expect more from Onimusha personally. I think any REAL Onimusha fan will probably get a sequel even if it's on the Wii, but honestly there's nothing wrong with preferring it to be on a higher spec platform. :)

I hope whoever is making the next Onimusha game (and it's great to see that the series isn't dead even though 3 and 4 performed fairly poorly) understands that the elements are already there in the existing games for an amazing and superior Onimusha game - they're just not all in the same game and each of the existing games has some major flaws (apart from Onimusha 1, which is less ambitious, and arguably Onimusha 3 if you don't care about Michelle's atrocious combat or the dumb story/inferior art direction). Mixing together the best of each of the 4 games would produce something pretty spectacular.

duckroll

badcrumble said:
I hope whoever is making the next Onimusha game (and it's great to see that the series isn't dead even though 3 and 4 performed fairly poorly) understands that the elements are already there in the existing games for an amazing and superior Onimusha game - they're just not all in the same game and each of the existing games has some major flaws (apart from Onimusha 1, which is less ambitious, and arguably Onimusha 3 if you don't care about Michelle's atrocious combat or the dumb story/inferior art direction). Mixing together the best of each of the 4 games would produce something pretty spectacular.

Personally I liked Onimusha 2 and Shin Onimusha the most. Onimusha 2 was the closest the series been in being an adventure game rather than an action game. There were tons of branching stuff, different sub-characters, lots of secrets and unlockables, etc. It had really cool characters too. Shin Onimusha replaced the sub-character system with the party system which made all the characters playable. It was interesting, but not all the characters played as well. Some of the puzzles were dumb too. If they could polish up the Shin Onimusha character balance stuff, and combine it with the narrative and flow of Onimusha 2, it would be almost perfect for me.

Nemesis_

Totally forgot about Tri! =P

But, who can actually work on an Onimusha game at Capcom internally? I sure as hell hope there is someone, and it's not outsourced. I dunno, I just preferred RE5 and Lost Planet 2's look to what we're getting from Dark Void and Dead Rising 2.

duckroll

Nemesis556 said:
Totally forgot about Tri! =P

But, who can actually work on an Onimusha game at Capcom internally? I sure as hell hope there is someone, and it's not outsourced. I dunno, I just preferred RE5 and Lost Planet 2's look to what we're getting from Dark Void and Dead Rising 2.

If it's being pimped on the Sengoku Basara portal, Kobayashi is probably producing it. If he is, it could be the DMC team or people from the Basara team. Who knows.

duckroll said:
Personally I liked Onimusha 2 and Shin Onimusha the most. Onimusha 2 was the closest the series been in being an adventure game rather than an action game. There were tons of branching stuff, different sub-characters, lots of secrets and unlockables, etc. It had really cool characters too. Shin Onimusha replaced the sub-character system with the party system which made all the characters playable. It was interesting, but not all the characters played as well. Some of the puzzles were dumb too. If they could polish up the Shin Onimusha character balance stuff, and combine it with the narrative and flow of Onimusha 2, it would be almost perfect for me.
I agree - the narrative and tone from Onimusha 2 was definitely the best. I think that the gift system was pretty terrible, as was the 'guest' party member system. All I'd really take from Onimusha 3 is the vastly superior R1+X bow/gun aiming controls (and, of course, MT Framework) - otherwise the combat was generally superior (more variety in charge attacks, learnable square/up/down moves) in Onimusha 2 apart from the fixed camera angles. Only thing I'd take from Shin Onimusha would be the excellent cooperative/PC-switching partner system and some of the puzzle-solving backtracking that went along with it - the RPG elements were atrocious and the combat wasn't as good as earlier games (taking out charge moves and the bow/gun was lame, and none of the guest characters played as well as any of the ones from Onimusha 2).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
duckroll said:
If it's being pimped on the Sengoku Basara portal, Kobayashi is probably producing it. If he is, it could be the DMC team or people from the Basara team. Who knows.

*orgasms*

duckroll

Okay you know, I'm starting to get a little worried. What if this isn't a traditional Onimusha game, but..... something like Onimusha Basara? :(

Either way, we should find out in Famitsu tomorrow. Since they've done updates on Friday, Monday and today, so Shin Onimusha's year should be tomorrow, and the new game's year should be on Thursday, followed by the announcement on Friday.

Dascu

duckroll said:
Okay you know, I'm starting to get a little worried. What if this isn't a traditional Onimusha game, but..... something like Onimusha Basara? :(
As you said, there's two possibilities: Or, they're just using the Sengoku Basara site as advertising since the games are somewhat similar (age period at least), or, it's a Sengoku Basara x Onimusha spin-off.

I doubt that though. It's probably a brand new Onimusha game. Probably P(C?)S360.

I personally sort of hope that they go back in history rather than forward, but given the progression of years in the teaser that seems extraordinarily unlikely.

Nemesis_

I say that we should all deflate our hype by thinking it's Sangoku Basara, and then be extremely surprised when they announce Onimusha!

I don't get the Onimusha delusions. Many big events occured in those years during the Warring States period in Japan, which is when the Basara games take place. Plus, Sengoku Basara is the new hotness in Japan right now, what with the awesome over the top anime series and the PSP game.

Aeana

The end of Dawn of Dreams shows 1600 (Keicho), if I recall correctly, but... it's still a weird choice to use if it's really supposed to be Onimusha, since the bulk of the game takes place in 1597 (I think). I'll keep hope alive. :(

duckroll

Spiegel said:
I hope so

Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams had a new protagonist and it was never called Onimusha 4 iirc.

Based on the events of DoD, there's no way a game set in 1600 will have Samanosuke as the lead.

Forkball

The Battle of Sekigahara took place in 1600, which was more or less the decisive battle that put Tokugawa in power in Japan. Maybe the game's story has something to do with that.

QCF Punch

Neo Member
I was surprised to find that I am in the minority when it comes to people that enjoyed DoD. I loved the combat and thought the characters were pretty cool. Most of the boss fights were ass though.

I say that to say this: I honestly wouldn't mind a continuation of that story with Jubei as the lead. Also, don't forget that
Samanosuke was in the game as Tenkai
, so not all hope is lost.

Personally, I'd love to see an Onimusha with Samanosuke as the lead with the combat of DoD.

Hesemonni

Banned
Whatever it is, I hope they forget the abomination that is DoD ever existed and continue the series in the vein of the original trilogy.

QCF Punch said:
I was surprised to find that I am in the minority when it comes to people that enjoyed DoD. I loved the combat and thought the characters were pretty cool. Most of the boss fights were ass though.

I say that to say this: I honestly wouldn't mind a continuation of that story with Jubei as the lead. Also, don't forget that
Samanosuke was in the game as Tenkai
, so not all hope is lost.

Personally, I'd love to see an Onimusha with Samanosuke as the lead with the combat of DoD.
Admit it: you just liked chaining magic into chain-Issens. You also played 1 through 3 without using Charge attacks or Issens much or at all and always magic-spammed your way through the Dark Realm. You also didn't bother a whole lot with the utter several-hours-per-run HELL that was the Shin Onimusha Dark Realm. Admit it.

Forkball said:
The Battle of Sekigahara took place in 1600, which was more or less the decisive battle that put Tokugawa in power in Japan. Maybe the game's story has something to do with that.
If the game opened at the battle of Sekigahara, I'd shit myself.

slade

If it's Onimusha, I hope it's more like Dawn of Dreams then like 1, 2 or 3. Also, hope it has a long kickass campaign like Dawn of Dreams.

cvxfreak

Dawn of Dreams was awesome.

That said, a new Onimusha should combine the best elements from all the games. I thought Dawn of Dreams had by far the best gameplay structure as far as combat went, although it wasn't perfect. Keep the chapter-based gameplay and different characters, and then insert the better elements from the first three. <3

Top Bottom