• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom new game countdown? (Sengoku Basara 3)

QCF Punch

Neo Member
badcrumble said:
Admit it: you just liked chaining magic into chain-Issens. You also played 1 through 3 without using Charge attacks or Issens much or at all and always magic-spammed your way through the Dark Realm. You also didn't bother a whole lot with the utter several-hours-per-run HELL that was the Shin Onimusha Dark Realm. Admit it.

Nah i am an action game fan so i used all attacks at my disposal including Issens as well as Charge Attacks in all of the Onimushas. I played through the Dark Realms in all four games sans magic spamming. I used magic, i mean it would be silly not too, but i wouldn't call it spamming. I also spent quite a bit of time in DoD's Dark Realm trying to get items and leveling up (part of the reason my initial playthrough of that game was 50+ hrs), though I never beat it.

QCF Punch said:
Nah i am an action game fan so i used all attacks at my disposal including Issens as well as Charge Attacks in all of the Onimushas. I played through the Dark Realms in all four games sans magic spamming. I used magic, i mean it would be silly not too, but i wouldn't call it spamming. I also spent quite a bit of time in DoD's Dark Realm trying to get items and leveling up (part of the reason my initial playthrough of that game was 50+ hrs), though I never beat it.
Pish! Shin Onimusha's combat was inferior due to the lack of ranged weaponry as the main character, the lack of charge attacks (and added silly attacks that didn't do much apart from having somewhat different range/knockdown behavior), and the pointless addition of tons of RPG mechanics that turned it into a grindfest. Sure it was a decently fun time but the combat/rpg mechanics were bar none the worst part about it. Had fun with the puzzles and the exploration with different characters though.

When does the next 'year' happen? Today or tomorrow?

yurinka

I think it's just another ps2 to Wii (and / or PSP maybe) port, Onimusha series in this case.
I would prefer Onimusha 5, featuring the Dawn of Dreams characters. I loved them. That game was so underrated.

It might as well be a crossover between Onimusha and Sengoku Basara. They both take place in the same time period with Nobunaga as the villain. I could totally see Yukimura and Masamune kicking demon ass with Flaming Spears and Lightning Katanas. :D

xfactor

Banned
Andrew2 said:
Its clearly a Sengoku Basara title:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/basara

secondly, it would be pointless for Capcom to hype a Onimusha title from the sengoku site given the fact Onimusha already has its own dedicated portal.

True that, but its hard to brush off the series of numbers shown on the site links to the various important events in Onimusha to be a mere coincidence isn't it? I have my doubt too as you can see from my previous post in this thread, but I am starting to believe that even the onimusha might have some involvement in the new title, like a Sengoku Basara X Onimusha or something.

Andrew2

Banned
watervengeance said:
It might as well be a crossover between Onimusha and Sengoku Basara. They both take place in the same time period with Nobunaga as the villain. I could totally see Yukimura and Masamune kicking demon ass with Flaming Spears and Lightning Katanas. :D

The dates you see pertain to major events/wars in japanese history, all taking place in the Sengoku period. See wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1560

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1573

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1582

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1600

Andrew2 said:
The dates you see pertain to major events/wars in japanese history, all taking place in the Sengoku period.

There are other years in between those where "important things" happen in Japanese history, too; see 1568. The only thing those three years, and only those three years, have in common is the Onimusha games.

cvxfreak

Capcom had used the RE5 portal to make a small advertisement for Dead Rising Wii in Japan, so it's not totally unheard of for Capcom to use one game's portal to advertise another. Likewise, Onimusha has always been more popular than Sengoku Basara in Japan and in the West. I think linking the two series would be very interesting.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
If they did all the teasing for, 'hey its Sengoku Basara 3 in 2010 and that's all we are going to say for now', they are a bunch of assholes.

There's a Sengoku Basara New Title Announcement conference going on now apparently. Those are the only details Famitsu has at the moment, maybe there'll be more info soon.

duckroll said:
There's a Sengoku Basara New Title Announcement conference going on now apparently. Those are the only details Famitsu has at the moment, maybe there'll be more info soon.
Ah, that's better, in that case lets hope its not the type of conference that only a logo of the game goes public. Although to be honest, its difficult to give a shit about this when they are really unlikely to localize it. I could dig a different musou game from time to time :/

cvxfreak

It was nice dreaming. :lol :(

But, Sengoku Basara is a solid series and I'm happy for its fans that a new title is coming. :)

Zenith

Banned
this might be nice. a proper next-gen Dynasty Warriors with the framework engine after ninety-nine nights flopped

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Ah, that's better, in that case lets hope its not the type of conference that only a logo of the game goes public. Although to be honest, its difficult to give a shit about this when they are really unlikely to localize it. I could dig a different musou game from time to time :/

http://www.capcom.co.jp/basara3/

Things revealed:

- Logo (lol)
- 2 character silhouettes (lol)
- The setting is Sekigahara as expected

billy.sea

Banned
The hint of the website was so clearly Onimusha... :(

Anyway hope Capcom can make the series relevant here in the States this time, as they did with Monster Hunter. But first they need to change the generic name.... isn't it call something Devil King now?

Kyoufu

Why were people expecting Onimusha? I'm pretty sure Capcom said that Dawn of Dreams would be the last in the series. :S

Shadow780

billy.sea said:
The hint of the website was so clearly Onimusha... :(

Anyway hope Capcom can make the series relevant here in the States this time, as they did with Monster Hunter. But first they need to change the generic name.... isn't it call something Devil King now?

Actually no, a link to the website was on Sengoku Basara's website prior to announcement IIRC.

But yeah Devil King and the lame character names they've decided is hilarious.

Spiegel

2qsxwn7.jpg

nq2y9y.jpg
117bjet.jpg

xfactor

Banned
I am curious as to why are they keeping the platform of the game a secret too. The game's been exclusive on the Playstation consoles, and only to the Wii lately.

Jonnyram

xfactor said:
I am curious as to why are they keeping the platform of the game a secret too. The game's been exclusive on the Playstation consoles, and only to the Wii lately.
Probably a PS2 game :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jonnyram said:
Probably a PS2 game :lol

Probably PS2/Wii at the same time. Wii version will sell like ten thousand copies.

Wow, I'm pwned twice! Once for believing the hints actually pointed at Onimusha, and once more for getting this shittacular announcement instead of a new Onimusha game. :lol

I can't believe all of you who thought this was an Onimusha title with all the hints at it clearly being a Basara title.

Gomu Gomu said:
Isn't that Devil kings or whatever? ugh I hated that game :(

Sengoku Basara 2 was seriously awesome, and Battle Heroes on the PSP is a lot fun. I personally cannot wait for SB3.

duckroll

charlequin said:
Wow, I'm pwned twice! Once for believing the hints actually pointed at Onimusha, and once more for getting this shittacular announcement instead of a new Onimusha game. :lol

I'm pretty sure the teaser served two purposes:

1) Kick Onimusha fans while we're down, and confirm that Capcom thinks the series is dead

2) Get Sengoku Basara fans all hyped up and excited that they're more important to Capcom than any of us

:(

Sengoku Basara is better than Onimusha anyway.

Slow and dopey Samurai with zero charisma vs guys who dress up like rockstars and do 3,000 hit combos on enemy armies. Yep not even a contest.

Course it'll never get localized anyway cause Capcom is stupid and/or Koei owns the rights to Nobunaga Oda and friends.

TreIII

sprsk said:
Fuck yes.

Exactly. :D Screw you haters, BASARA is awesome!

In any case, I dunno why you guys were even thinking this was going to Onimusha.

Again, forgetting the whole thing about how Onimusha doesn't lay sole claim to the years that were posted relating to the Sengoku Jidai, this teaser site was first found on Kobyashi's blog (he's the producer of DMC and BASARA alike) and then could be found directly linked on the SB homepage.

Unless it was some how going to be an Onimusha cross-over (which was HIGHLY doubtful from the jump), this was 99.9% confirmed to be a BASARA related affair. You only had to truly do more to "examine the source". Would have saved a lot more in the way of bitter tears, that way. :lol

In any case, I look forward to this. If I were to be a betting man, my guess would be that the two "new" characters would be a) a revised/grown-up version of Tokugawa Ieyasu (who really needed it) and b) Mitsunari Ishida. The two most relevant personalities to the Sekigahara battle should probably be the ones that get the most focus this time around, I would think.

Spiegel

schuelma said:
Probably PS2/Wii at the same time. Wii version will sell like ten thousand copies.

I think they'll also milk the game on the psp after the good reception that Sengoku Basara: Battle Heroes had earlier this year.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
schuelma said:

well , Koei's shitty and very late PS2 port of Orochi games ( Warriors Orochi Z ) sold like 200K copies or something near that on PS3.

Japanese PS3 owners love hack and slash , if Capcom smart they should put this on PS3 too with the Wii and PS2 versions .

TreIII

Totobeni said:
well , Koei's shitty and very late PS2 port of Orochi games ( Warriors Orochi Z ) sold like 200K copies or something near that on PS3.

Japanese PS3 owners love hack and slash , if Capcom smart they should put this on PS3 too with the Wii and PS2 versions .

Maybe, but I dunno.

The beauty of the BASARA series was that, for as relatively "low-cost" it was to develop the games, they sold pretty well. That was why it was a good match to put the games on the PS2 for the last few years, give a port of the second game and its upgrade on the Wii, and a spin-off on the PSP. (We're not going to count that Arc Systems' 2D fighter spin-off, as it was perhaps the one game in the series that could be considered a "bomb", in Capcom's eyes. ^^;)

If they're finally ready to leave the PS2 behind (and if Kobyashi wasn't lying a year ago, SB2: Heroes WILL BE the last game that will be on the PS2), then logically, the Wii is the next step, at least as far as for console development is concerned. Not only could a SB3 for Wii stand to benefit from what Monster Hunter Tri stands to do for the Wii and Capcom starting next month, but they'll want to have their "challenger" in place. After all, Koei's Sengoku Musou 3 (which is also slated for the Wii) is on the way...some time. :D;

Top Bottom