• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: No plans for Resident Evil 7 on Switch

gconsole

More like they are holding off to see how Switch perform and there is no point saying anything about porting RE7 to other platform that is not going to be available now and get rid of potential sale.

I mean RE4 made itself to mobile phone, I'm sure it's a lot easier trying to squeeze RE7 onto Switch if they want too. Even with the graphic level of VR version.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You think Nintendo is releasing the Switch and killing he 3DS just so the Switch can fail and they can go third party?

Mannnnnn some people on neogaf realllly hate Nintendo and say the craziest things.

This has nothing to do with any of my comments. Not sure what you're trying to insinuate.

gogogow

Anyone that thinks capcom would confirm this literally days before it comes out on PS4 XBox & PC

They know this port racket, they invented it, whether it's feasible to port or not doesn't come into it

This is all about making sure day 1 sales this week are as high as possible

They did it with RE4 on PS2. They don't give a shit. It's Capcom.

Scrawnton

I wouldn't take the lack of Resident Evil on Switch as a predictor to Capcoms relationship with Nintendo. If it wasn't for 3DS and MonHun, Capcom may not even exist at this rate. Switch just isn't powerful enough for a straight port and it's not worth downporting 7 to be a handheld game.

Scrawnton

This has nothing to do with any of my comments. Not sure what you're trying to insinuate.
You said I'm blind to the fact that Nintendo already built their backdoor out of the hardware business. So they're just gonna lay off all of their hardware staff and 1000s of employees to become a dedicated mobile developer?

Gurish

Is RE7 a demanding game technically? I mean it runs at 60 fps on current gen, I guess they can make the game run at 30 on the switch with lower res textures, 720P, limited AA etc can't they?

I don't think there is any technical limitation.

Malakai

We've known since the initial reveal that it was always going to be weaker than the other two current gen systems, and likely only stronger than the WiiU due to how that was almost an entire generation behind hardware wise.

The combination of well below average specs, and audience of either just Nintendo fans, or at best Nintendo fans plus Casuals, if they can be persuaded away from Mobile, and handheld gamers, as long as the price doesn't scare them off, was always going to kill any hope of mainstream third party support.

If Nintendo wanted that, then after decades of giving developers the finger, they'd have needed to bend over backwards to ensure the Switch focused on power, basic feature parity, standard quality of life functionality and paid for exclussive deals, bundles, content and marketing rights.

If anyone is under the impression this isn't just going to be another WiiU, with maybe a few extra, previously handheld only franchises that can afford the added cost of HD development, then they're just deliberately lying to themselves.

This is Capcom we are talking about; historically and currently (see Monster Hunter, Street Fighter 4 and Resident Evil Revelations), Capcom games have sold well on Nintendo platforms. So, that "audience" argument is wrong.

We don't even know the final specs yet and we have insiders stating that the Switch can handle downports. I guess we will know this is the case some time in early March so those argument can be put the rest.

Malice215

3rd parties are waiting to see how the Switch performs before they start focusing on it. People are going to use games that weren't designed for the Switch in the first place to shit on it.

Of course the Switch won't see RE7, but it's silly to believe that one of the most ported series won't eventually land on the Switch in some form, especially if Nintendo throws some cash at Capcom. RE4 is a no brainer. Plus Capcom is working on USF2, so it's not like they're ignoring the system.

It's silly to judge 3rd party support before launch. Wait a year to see how things look.

gogogow

Shareholders demanded it, because they were ignoring the most popular console. You think shareholders give a shit if they skip the Switch?

You really think the PS2 version would have sold less when announced after the GC version has been released? It's also a huge dickmove when Nintendo paid for it to be exclusive. Then Nintendo agreed for it to be released on the PS2, but they fuck them over by announcing it before the GC release.

Capcom won't skip the Switch, maybe for RE, which Japan don't really care about anymore, but Japan cares about MH, and that won't sell 3-4 million copies on the PS4.

Soi-Fong

Some people here are just dreaming. Look at the paltry launch line up of the Switch and guess why 3rd parties don't even want to develop for the thing when Nintendo seems to barely have anything for it.

You guys do know that as is most people are thinking the Switch is an over priced piece of hardware.

Xando

Is RE7 a demanding game technically? I mean it runs at 60 fps on current gen, I guess they can make the game run at 30 on the switch with lower res textures, 720P, limited AA etc can't they?

Doubt there are technical limitations. They just don't seem to think the money is well invested at the moment.

Maybe if Switch actually takes off or Nintendo agrees to pay for it.

It's fascinating how Nintendo can't even can't get games when they are making a handheld anymore. I mean, as laughable as it was, I understood why the WiiU wouldn't even get the RE GCN ports. But 3DS still had a timed exclusive RE and one spinoff announced from the get-go.

Tratorn

Are you really surprised, lol?

It was at least one of the few bigger 3rd party games you could (have) hope(d) for.
I think KHIII is the most likely one, since it isn't that demanding hardware wise (like DQXI) and is really suited for Nintendos audience. It'll be pretty telling, if not even that game is coming,

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Like I said before, they're using RE7 to show the latest version of their engine tech, it was foolish to expect it on a system where they'd have to downgrade what they have even further than the base console versions for PS4/XBO.

And it's not whether the game can be scaled down, I think it's more about whether they want to scale it down.

120v

assuming the game is at it seems, mostly narrow environments, not a shitload of NPCs on screen at once... it'd probably be one of the more feasible ports

but like any hypothetical Switch port, it's mostly a matter of effort/incentive

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You said I'm blind to the fact that Nintendo already built their backdoor out of the hardware business. So they're just gonna lay off all of their hardware staff and 1000s of employees to become a dedicated mobile developer?

Killing the 3DS was your words not mine.

And yes their backdoor strategy is in place. Mobile. Toys. Amusement park attractions. Maybe PC.

3DS is old. It's over the hump. If Switch fails, then yeah, this is it for Nintendo hardware. I'm calling it now.

Capcom said this in Nov

"We are currently carrying out research with regards to multiplatform implementation of software for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on to the Nintendo Switch and thus are unable to comment at this moment. However, we do feel that there are differences in the desired direction and the play-style of the Nintendo Switch and those of the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. At Capcom, we determine which platform to release a title for after considering the features of both our software and the hardware in question, believing we must bring the enjoyment of our games to their maximum potential.”

So can we stop with the shit posting ok.

Soi-Fong

It was at least one of the few bigger 3rd party games you could (have) hope(d) for.
I think KHIII is the most likely one, since it isn't that demanding hardware wise (like DQXI) and is really suited for Nintendos audience. It'll be pretty telling, if not even that game is coming,

Don't expect Kingdom Hearts III. People here expecting Switch to suddenly get ports because of Unreal Engine 4 don't know game development.

Unreal isn't some magic engine where you can just spit out games for a system in order of magnitudes weaker than PS4 and XB1.

KH3 is definitely more demanding than RE7. Have you seen 0.2?

LewieP

And then people will buy it for the 9th time, whilst complaining that companies keep releasing remasters/re-releasing the same titles again and again.

Perhaps what you are observing is two different groups of people with two different patterns of behavior.

iMerc

wow.
lots of console war nonsense going on in here. too bad there's no 'mental maturity' test when you register for a forum.

anyway. most of the people commenting in this thread are probably people who already own a ps4 or xb1, so i don't see what you all are doing posting in here.
do you care so much that a game you are already enjoying may/may not come out on a system you hate/couldn't give two shits about?

FFT.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Capcom won't skip the Switch, maybe for RE, which Japan don't really care about anymore, but Japan cares about MH, and that won't sell 3-4 million copies on the PS4.

Newsflash: Japan is a small player. I don't give a flying shit about how many copies a Monster Hunter game sells in Japan. It does nothing for me and it does nothing for the shitty third party situation.

Top Bottom