• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: No plans for Resident Evil 7 on Switch

Last I checked the Win GPD thread, there were huge issues with the thing heating up like crazy running anything taxing. They got so hot that they couldn't have these apps running longer than 20 minutes or so.

Did they fix that?

I guess so. Didnt got problems running Skyrim. Device does get warm but that's about it.

JordanN

Banned

I'm thinking about all the world and character data that are built for stronger systems.

They would run terribly on mobile CPU/GPU without making the necessary cuts to free up frame rate.

You could argue that in current AAA development, they already make multiple models/LODs for this sort of thing. But then it becomes a question, do you want a very low poly character running around if it just looks ugly?

Nilaul

Kind of redundant if you don't own any other platforms.

I do but I just aint bothered to (a very powerful desktop PC). I guess I was looking forward to buy something other then Zelda at launch for my portable gaming needs.

People would had probably eaten up RE7 at launch on the Switch.

Nilaul

I'm thinking about all the world and character data that are built for stronger systems.

They would run terribly on mobile CPU/GPU without making the necessary cuts to free up frame rate.

You could argue that in current AAA development, they already make multiple models/LODs for this sort of thing. But then it becomes a question, do you want a very low poly character running around if it just looks ugly?

RE7 looks perfectly fine running on a GPD WIN and that ain't even specifically optimised for the system or anything.

Mokujin

It's no wonder that 3rd parties are going to sit back till Switch takes off and has a decent user base, the difference in specs it's really a second rate issue.

People forget really fast what last gen platforms were able to do and how Switch even in portable mode is comfortably ahead in many areas.

It's going to be interesting to look back at all these "impossible to port 3rd party games" if Switch takes off and if it doesn't, well, we'll never know ¯_(ツ)_/¯

This.
As good as the new one seems to be, highly doubtful any Resident Evil will be able to touch 4(maybe REmake) as one of the all time classics.
I'd get Prime too to play portably on the Switch.

Well, that's one way to spin a console's poor support. I don't need it if it's not as good as RE4! lol, might as well stop the entire industry then.

Well, that's one way to spin a console's poor support. I don't need it if it's not as good as RE4! lol, might as well stop the entire industry then.
As long as the Switch gets Monster Hunter from Capcom, I won't lose sleep over Resident Evil 7.
Of course it getting every game released, whether I want it or not, is a good thing.

OryoN

Bumped due to relevant news:

http://nintendoeverything.com/switc...kit-capcom-wants-to-make-aaa-games-much-more/
Finally, Capcom is looking into having the RE Engine, made specifically for Resident Evil 7 (and likely to be used in future titles) to be compatible with Switch. The company also wants to develop AAA titles for the platform.

I guess that settled the argument of whether or not something like a port of RE7(which runs on the same engine Capcom is consideringfor Switch) is technically possible on the Switch. Unless anyone is willing to suggest that Capcom isn't aware of what is/isn't possible with their own engine. Granted, this was never a concern for people who understand how scalable most major game engines are these days - even with Gdp Win(a considerably less optimized/powerful gaming device than the Switch) running said game in a downgraged, but serviceable form. Still, it's great to have the added perspective, directly from the source, which includes their desire to develop AAA games(and quite possibly RE games) on Nintendo Switch.

Before seeing actual Swith gameplay back in January, I truly did had a concern about the production quality of games the device is capable of running. Now, I'm now longer curious to know if X/Y AAA game can run, but rather, just how well it can, or how closely it can replicate the experience of the much more power home consoles.

Top Bottom