• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Preparing To Release Between 20 To 40 PS1/PSP Titles Via PSN

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Joystick apparently had a recent interview with Capcom's Chris Kramer about their plans for releasing games via PSN. This is what he had to say.

Joystick said:
Capcom is going to make its PlayStation Network presence a lot more robust as it begins releasing ports of PS1 titles and providing downloadable versions of previous PSP titles throughout the year. We spoke with Capcom's Chris Kramer, who let us know that the company would be listening to what the community wants and figuring out internally what titles to release -- but don't expect any of them to involve licensing shenanigans along the lines of Marvel vs. Capcom.

"We'll definitely be looking at a lot of titles that have things like Street Fighter and Resident Evil in the title," Kramer said. "We're thinking about putting together a long list of the titles we're looking at, and then releasing it on Capcom Unity and having people vote on them. Ultimately we're looking at bringing between 20 and 40 titles to the PSN over the next several months."
Hopefully this actually comes to pass and doesn't die in some kind of SCEA certification hell that seems to have ate every other PS1 game recently.

Edit:

Fuzzy dug up a list of PS1 and PSP games that Capcom has made in case anyone is curious about what they could release. Thanks Fuzzy!

Fuzzy said:
The list of developed or published games by Capcom from Wikipedia:

PlayStation

* Bounty Hunter Sara
* Bounty Hunter Sarah
* Breath of Fire III
* Breath of Fire IV
* Buster Bros. Collection
* Capcom Generation 1
* Capcom Generation 2
* Capcom Generation 3
* Capcom Generation 4
* Capcom Generation 5
* Capcom vs. SNK Pro
* Captain Commando
* Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness
* Darkstalkers
* DarkStalkers 3
* Dino Crisis (also on Dreamcast; sequels available on PlayStation and Xbox)
* Dino Crisis 2
* Fox Hunt
* Fushigi Keiji
* Gaia Master
* JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (PlayStation port of "JoJo's Venture")
* Magical Tetris Challenge
* Marvel Super Heroes
* Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
* Marvel vs. Capcom
* Mega Man 8 Anniversary Collector's Edition
* Mega Man Legends (also on Nintendo 64 as Mega Man 64)
* Mega Man Legends 2
* Mega Man X3
* Mega Man X4
* Mega Man X5
* Mega Man X6
* One Piece Mansion
* Pocket Fighter
* Puzzle Fighter
* Resident Evil (also on Sega Saturn; sequels on Game Boy, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, and GameCube)
* Resident Evil 2
* Resident Evil 2: Dual Shock Edition
* Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
* Resident Evil: Director's Cut
* Resident Evil: Survivor
* Rival Schools: United By Fate
* Rockman Complete Works
* Rockman Battle & Chase
* Shichisei Toushin: Guyferd
* Shiritsu Justice Gakuen Nekketsu Seisyun Nikki 2
* Star Gladiator (sequel, Plasma Sword, available on Dreamcast)
* Startling Adventures: Kuusou Daibouken X 3
* Street Fighter Alpha (also on arcade, Sega Saturn, and Game Boy; sequels on arcade, SNES, PlayStation, Dreamcast, and Game Boy Advance)
* Street Fighter Alpha 2
* Street Fighter Alpha 3
* Street Fighter Collection
* Street Fighter Collection 2
* Street Fighter EX Alpha
* Street Fighter EX 2 Plus
* Street Fighter II Movie
* Street Fighter Zero 2
* Street Fighter: The Movie
* Strider 2
* Super Adventure Rockman
* Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
* Suzumo no Gatari
* The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
* Trick'N Snowboarder
* Wonder 3
* X-Men vs. Street Fighter
* Ghouls n' Ghosts Toon

PSP

* Breath of Fire III
* Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded
* Capcom Classics Collection Remixed
* Capcom Puzzle World
* Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
* Dragon Tales: Dragon Seek
* Fate/Tiger Colosseum
* Finder Love
* Mega Man Legends
* Mega Man Legends 2
* Mega Man Powered Up
* Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X (Also published by Taito Corp Japan, arcade conversion)
* Monster Hunter Freedom
* Monster Hunter Freedom 2
* Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
* Power Stone Collection
* Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
* Sengoku Basara Battle Heroes
* Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
* Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble
* Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (in Japan)

Raw64life

Highly doubt that happens. At the very least, they're not going to be putting out 3-4 games every week for 4 months.

PSN needs some more PS1 games as it has become a virtual desert. It is in Sony's best interest to approve anything and everything that comes down the pike at this point.

it makes too much sense for more PSN legacy support, and SCEA doesn't seem to shivagit. I hope very much to be wrong, but I'll stay skeptical until I actually see any sort of PS1 releases in the future.

Why do they need to hold a poll? Why not put them all up? I mean, does it cost anything to put these games up? Isn't it as simple as sending Sony the ROM?

Blu_LED said:
Why do they need to hold a poll? Why not put them all up? I mean, does it cost anything to put these games up? Isn't it as simple as sending Sony the ROM?

To see which ones people want first.

Haunted

neo_whoa_1.jpg

So does this mean we finally get Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game for the PSN? Because I'm tired of not seeing it up on the Capcom store.

Zeliard

PS1/PSP? Beh. I still have faith that Alien vs Predator will one day make its triumphant return.

Does Capcom still hold those rights?

Mrbob

Translation:

This is what we plan to bring out, but SCEA will only allow us to release 2 to 4 titles over the next several years.

PC Gaijin

What exactly is SCEA's problem with PSone games on PSN anyway? Is it because testing has to be done for PS3/PSP compatibility? Or is SCEA trying to get most of the money to be made considering most of the games currently available are from Sony?

kswiston

PC Gaijin said:
What exactly is SCEA's problem with PSone games on PSN anyway? Is it because testing has to be done for PS3/PSP compatibility? Or is SCEA trying to get most of the money to be made considering most of the games currently available are from Sony?

Considering there are 200-300 PS1 games on the Japanese store, I doubt it has much to do with compatibility issues.

How about something that begins with a Rival and ends with a Schools? or something that begins with a Dark and ends with a Stalkers 3? How about it, "Capgod?"

PC Gaijin

kswiston said:
Considering there are 200-300 PS1 games on the Japanese store, I doubt it has much to do with compatibility issues.

I don't think the PS1 games on the Japanese store are guaranteed to play on the PSP are they?

Does anyone have that pic that shows the PSone games released worldwide for 2009? It's like having a good looking ex. It pisses me off everytime it shows up, yet I can't look away.

Such a zhing will surely the destroy zhe Internets. Quick, we must someone back in time to stop this from happening!

oh, wait: PSN. No need for a Tardis there. :'D

potentially awesome though

PC Gaijin

Danne-Danger said:
I think last time someone checked, 99% of them were.

Ah ok, thanks. I might just start getting some PS1 games from the Japanese store. The pace that SCEA is going for releasing PS1 games on PSN is ridiculous.

Nirolak said:
Hopefully this actually comes to pass and doesn't die in some kind of SCEA certification hell that seems to have ate every other PS1 game recently.

apparently it's not a certification issue but a legal issue that both parties are dealing with. not just some dude at a gate like wizard of oz or some shit.

EDIT: to be more specific, it might be where the contracts and all the legal paperwork done when PS1 games were made weren't even thinking about any future compatibility, and have some sort of clause stating they are made to be played on PS1 and PS1 only and it takes a long time to get both parties to rework everything and find loopholes and workarounds with their lawyers to make it all compatible with those old contracts.

i dunno though, im not a rocket surgeon.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Does this mean PSP games will be downloadable to the PS3 and played there or just PS1 games to the PS3 and PSP games to the PSp?

pelicansurf said:
Does this mean PSP games will be downloadable to the PS3 and played there or just PS1 games to the PS3 and PSP games to the PSp?
You can download PS1 games on the PS3 or PSP and play it on both. PSP games though you can download on the PS3 or PSP but you can only play it on the PSP.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
apparently it's not a certification issue but a legal issue that both parties are dealing with. not just some dude at a gate like wizard of oz or some shit.

EDIT: to be more specific, it might be where the contracts and all the legal paperwork done when PS1 games were made weren't even thinking about any future compatibility, and have some sort of clause stating they are made to be played on PS1 and PS1 only and it takes a long time to get both parties to rework everything and find loopholes and workarounds with their lawyers to make it all compatible with those old contracts.

i dunno though, im not a rocket surgeon.

Its something like this, and has been mentioned. Theres lots of legal crap that games have to go through here in the US. I wish people would actually read this instead of "OMG Sony isnt doing anything!!!!11!"

Top Bottom