• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom reinvesting MH4 profits into new 4 billion yen internal Japanese mobile studio

Know what would be just dandy; if this studio would also make 3DS games, at least then it wouldn't look like the worst thing ever. I'm content if they do both more 3DS and alongside mobile, not just mobile development only.

I mean Aquamarine says it looks like it could be multipurpose which MAYBE would mean just that? At least make a minority part of the output from this 3DS games, show us you're not "wasting" hard earned MH4 dough on mobile stuff only. :(

Actually, 3DS ports if able would be perfectly fine as well, as long as of course other proper teams are making new original 3DS games.

It´s always about Nintendo even though it´s not about Nintendo. I knew it.

VariantX

That's a potentially scary future for japanese development if I ever saw one, stamina bars and microtransactions as far as the eye can see... Second coming of the whale based economy.

Tripon

Wait until competition get ugly on mobile, graphic get better dev cost rise, market get crowded, marketing cost rise.

That's already happening. Companies jumping in at this stage are in for a rude awakening.

So... SuikodenVille?

Hey, if Breath of Fire can go mobi... lol

Suikoden VI, now with social links!

- You can only recruit a new character after you send 5 friend requests.
- You have to buy each character in a blind in app purchase where its possible to get the same character.
- Level grind, or you can spend money to speed up XP gains.
- Best price: $199.99 for all 108 characters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
and people think the PS4 is going to sell well in Japan, hahahaha.

Is MGS popular in japan? it's the only game I can see selling some PS4's in japan next year(and it would just be the prologue)

Yes, it does pretty well overall (~700-800K), but it is also releasing on PS3 in a nation not known for being incredibly picky about graphics.

Ratrat

I'd be perfectly fine with this if they were making proper single player games instead money grabbing 'services' with shitty production values.

Just port 3ds games to mobiles why not?

Dahbomb

There is simply no winning with Capcpcom.

Next up Capcpccom declares that the money they made from Ultra is being used to fund an iOS SF game.

Hiltz

Man, is mobile truly the future for most publishers?

A lot of these Japanese publishers are putting more resources into it. You've got Square Enix, Sega (which acquired Atlus), Capcom, Namco Bandai, Konami and others like Marvelous (which acquired XSEED) doing it.

It´s always about Nintendo even though it´s not about Nintendo. I knew it.

Capcom's been 95% focused on 3DS as far as portables this gen, and MH4 is a 3DS game (their highest seller by far on 3DS and I would reckon it's outdone even their console games in JP in numerous years, maybe more than I'm thinking!) having passed 3 million.

So yes, 3DS is involved.

I'm all for yanking HoL's chain but investing profits from a 3DS game into 3DS development isn't such a crazy concept.

Why? :(

DJIzana

A lot of these Japanese publishers are putting more resources into it. You've got Square Enix, Sega, Capcom, Namco Bandai, Konami and others like Marvelous (which acquired XSEED) doing it.

I'm glad Nintendo isn't on that list. I really am...

VariantX

I'm all for yanking HoL's chain but investing profits from a 3DS game into 3DS development isn't such a crazy concept.

Its not unprecedented, rather than invest their Wii profits into better Wii games, 3rd parties intended to use Wii profits to fund their big AAA games on the 360/PS3. I think it was UBI who specifically said they were doing this.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah the collapse of the japanese industry as a whole sure would be delicious

Did I say the entire Japanese industry? No, I meant the mobile market. I'd rather all of these companies suffer some minor damage through mobile investments, and go back to the drawing board while licking their wounds.

Zushin

Yeah fuck this noise. I don't even like Capcom's IP's particularly but this is some bullshit. Mobile is such a cancer on our hobby :( It's ruining everything.

Capcom's been 95% focused on 3DS as far as portables this gen, and MH4 is a 3DS game (they're highest seller by far on 3DS and I would reckon it's outdone even their console games in JP in numerous years, maybe more than I'm thinking!) having passed 3 million.

So yes, 3DS is involved.

No it´s not involved at all. Nintendo has nothing to do with Capcom. Capcom is a public traded company and they seek the most profit, that is what their investors demand of them. Let´s not pretend that you are complaining because of smart devices. You want these games to explicitly be on Nintendo platforms.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. No PSP Monster Hunter in 2013? Well, duh.

Let me feed it to you with a spoon then. Franchises move platforms all the time, it´s not unusual at all.

Tripon

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. No PSP Monster Hunter in 2013? Well, duh.

Sony losing Monster Hunter is more about Nintendo promising to support Capcom and Monster Hunter than it is about Sony not doing enough to keep MonHun on a Sony system.

Glass Rebel

Ah, I'm just having fun. Are you even interested in Monster Hunter?

Its not unprecedented, rather than invest their Wii profits into better Wii games, 3rd parties intended to use Wii profits to fund their big AAA games on the 360/PS3. I think it was UBI who specifically said they were doing this.

I'm not saying that it isn't unprecedented, just that the 3DS is relevant to the discussion.

Did I say the entire Japanese industry? No, I meant the mobile market. I'd rather all of these companies suffer some minor damage through mobile investments, and go back to the drawing board while licking their wounds.

If all these companies go down, the only companies left will be the mobile-only companies.

yaesir

Look at all this untapped potential for the mobile market... :(

1dvYPwk.jpg

Its pretty funny that 99% of mobile games I play don't even come from traditional video games companies, there's huge potential for any video game company to invest in actual good video games from known IPs to succeed, they really need to put the effort in or not do it at all, it reminds me of the Wii support in its early days.

Why'd it have to mobile that took over Japan? Handheld domination was fine but this GREE/Mobage,Microtransaction, freemium bullshit is cancer.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If all these companies go down, the only companies left will be the mobile-only companies.

What? That doesn't even make sense given the context of our discussion.

I don't want these companies to die, I want their mobile efforts to bleed. I don't believe one necessitates the other. You can choose to disagree.

Look at all this untapped potential for the mobile market... :(

It's hilarious that MegaMan is missing from this picture. Looks like Capcom succeeded in deleting him from the history books.

Gaogaogao

why don't they use monster hunter money to fix and improve monster hunter? make tutorials that actually teach people how to play the game?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
keep things in perspective it is only 40 million US dollars, roughly.

Right, I find it less interesting from a "holy cow that's a bazillion dollars" perspective, but rather that they're making a sizable investment in making an internal mobile studio to improve output/quality on mobile, which they apparently didn't find relevant before.

To me, it represents an increased importance of the market in the minds of Capcom's executives.

Right, I find it less interesting from a "holy cow that's a bazillion dollars" perspective, but rather that they're making a sizable investment in making an internal mobile studio to improve output/quality on mobile, which they apparently didn't find relevant before.

To me, it represents an increased importance of the market in the minds of Capcom's executives.

How much are they making from MH4?

What? That doesn't even make sense given the context of our discussion.

I don't want these companies to die, I want their mobile efforts to bleed. I don't believe one necessitates the other. You can choose to disagree.

It's hilarious that MegaMan is missing from this picture. Looks like Capcom succeeded in deleting him from the history books.

i told you hes not missing hes just Mighty No9 incognito
he had enough of Capcoms shit and said fuck you guys im going home(real home)
anyways i firmly believe in order to kill mobile and prevent any company from even thinking about it is to have a company like Capcom go bankrupt due to mobile
basically a martyr

Riffled

Banned
Mobile makes sense for certain companies. Like Namco or Sega with their Arcade/Theme Park background, encouraging casual things. But Square and Capcom's mission in the gaming market has always been pleasing the Hardcore with the next big thing. Heck their first Wii titles weren't even minigame collections, but rather games to prove that Motion controls could work for interresting games.

Top Bottom