• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom removes fan translated Great Ace Attorney videos from youtube

RRockman

Banned
This comes the same day I thought "fuck it, I'm watching the fan translation on youtube!"

Yup. I was thinking I should watch this at some point. Then BOOM, Capcom Raging Demon'd the whole lot. I don't suppose someone out there had the forsight to dl the videos did they? Oh well. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch the Time Travellers translation videos before someone hits them too.

Ex-Psych

Yeah fuck them... How dare a company go so far to, protect their own IP....

This statement holds little value when there's countless of videos of said game on the site but Capcom specifically targets this one.

Unless they have plans to localize it, screw Capcom.

Lelou

it seems that capcom just want his fans to get more and more angry over all his own brands nowadays.

i don't get it.
please help me to understand..

MegamanNG

Neo Member
I'll just say this... Capcom don't deserve my money. No way.

At least with Gyakuten Kenji 2, they didn't localize it because they said that sales for the first AAI were poor. Fans were able to translate it and Capcom didn't go after anyone.

But with this, that's too far.

BTA

Is it common for people to delete videos from their hard drives after uploading to YouTube? I'm always paranoid about losing work like this.

I would never be able to delete a thing I uploaded myself, but if there's a large enough number of them I can imagine people might delete some.

This is really frustrating, especially if there are full JP LPs up and there's no alternative for non-JP speakers. I'd like to hope this means a localization's coming, but I'm not going to be so foolish as to let myself believe that.

Blackage

Is it common for people to delete videos from their hard drives after uploading to YouTube? I'm always paranoid about losing work like this.

It used to be, but since Youtube can be fickle when it comes to videos being taken down like this, alot of content creators in recent years keep backups off their videos on HDs.

"We don't want to waste the effort translating it"
"Ok, we'll translate it ourselves then"
"NO, you're not allowed to understand it without our permission"

In the space of a few years Capcom has rapidly become one of my least favourite publishers.

GSR

My two cents on this as someone who's been deep in the AA community for a solid decade now:

Capcom has always been able and willing to take down longplays of Japanese AA stuff. My first account on YT focused on uploading highlights of the games - IIRC I would upload the opening and endings to each case for AAI and AAI2 when they came out in Japan.

As of AAI2, Capcom smacked my channel with repeated strikes and took it down. When AA5 came out, I tried uploading case one to Vimeo and that got smacked too. Finally, when DGS came out, I streamed it on Twitch and Capcom pulled down the archived videos. And this is nothing to say of the OST uploads.

This is very, very much nothing new. And to be honest, I was always surprised it didn't happen more often. I can only guess that I got smacked sooner because my channel had more subscribers/viewers and it came across Capcom's radar that much quicker.

About the 1+2 bundle, you should remember that that's an entirely Japanese-market-oriented bundle. It is explicitly not a special game cart with both games on it, or even a download code for both games - it's just a fancy package for both game boxes (the DGS1 box is even the "Best Price!" cheap version) and a CD. It's designed to get money from hopeless fans of the series (like me) or as a last-minute punt to get new players into the DGS series, because DGS2 is a super hard sell on its own.

Finally, nothing with regards to the common explanations for why they haven't localized the games (it's too niche and there's legal problems) has changed unless AA6 set the eShop charts on fire and the Conan Doyle estate (and competing estate) decided to play nice.

So, no, unfortunately I don't think this is anything new, nor is it pointing to an official localization. It's just Capcom.

Jawmuncher

I SWEAR TO GOD CAPCOM IF YOU TOOK THIS SHIT DOWN OUT OF PETTINESS.....

Don't punish your fanbase who wants to experience these games due to your lack of budgeting and localization management. If you're at least localizing the games yourself, it's still a dick move but I can give you a bit of lee way.

I really wanna hope this is an AM2R situation where Capcom is just planning on releasing the games on the West but I highly doubt it. And if they aren't this is just plain evil.

Joqu

I really REALLY want to believe this is due to them actually having localization plans. That 2-pack is like, the last chance unless they port it.

But you know... it's Capcom.

butman

localization incoming

giphy.gif

TB12

Banned
This argument doesn't work when there's no official way to play this game in English.

Maybe im stupid, but is this a universal law?
A game company cannot protect their own IP, becouse the fans cannot play the game in English?

Wereroku

Maybe im stupid, but is this a universal law?
A game company cannot protect their own IP, becouse the fans cannot play the game in English?

No there is no such law. This is a legitimate takedown and perfectly legal in the US. It's weird that they bothered since the games are not a product in the US so there is not loss of revenue.

MegamanNG

Neo Member
My two cents on this as someone who's been deep in the AA community for a couple years now:

Capcom has always been able and willing to take down longplays of Japanese AA stuff. My first account on YT focused on uploading highlights of the games - IIRC I would upload the opening and endings to each case for AAI and AAI2 when they came out in Japan.

As of AAI2, Capcom smacked my channel with repeated strikes and took it down. When AA5 came out, I tried uploading case one to Vimeo and that got smacked too. Finally, when DGS came out, I streamed it on Twitch and Capcom pulled down the archived videos. And this is nothing to say of the OST uploads.

This is very, very much nothing new. And to be honest, I was always surprised it didn't happen more often. I can only guess that I got smacked sooner because my channel had more subscribers/viewers and it came across Capcom's radar that much quicker.

About the 1+2 bundle, you should remember that that's an entirely Japanese-market-oriented bundle. It is explicitly not a special game cart with both games on it, or even a download code for both games - it's just a fancy package for both game boxes (the DGS1 box is even the "Best Price!" cheap version) and a CD. It's designed to get money from hopeless fans of the series (like me) or as a last-minute punt to get new players into the DGS series, because DGS2 is a super hard sell on its own.

Finally, nothing with regards to the common explanations for why they haven't localized the games (it's too niche and there's legal problems) has changed unless AA6 set the eShop charts on fire and the Conan Doyle estate (and competing estate) decided to play nice.

So, no, unfortunately I don't think this is anything new, nor is it pointing to an official localization. It's just Capcom.

A reason why I have no intention of ever covering DGS. Besides, a company like Capcom that does this is enough for me to say no thanks. If this is how they do this even though it is in their right, they can kiss my ass.

MegamanNG

Neo Member
Unless you are a MH fan, Capcom has been treating all their fans like crap.

As a fan of MH, it makes me upset that they couldn't bring MHXX westward. If this is how they're treating the Switch then maybe Capcom shouldn't bother making games for it if this is how they're doing it.

Off-topic: Also... I figured why not... I contacted the Conan Doyle Estate hoping to get their opinion regarding DGS localization and what they would do. Hoping to get a response.

Kinsei

Banned
This really sucks. It's not like they'll ever release it here so it isn't impacting their sales.

Unless you are a MH fan, Capcom has been treating all their fans like crap.

MH fans still have to worry that each new game might not come out here. They're not even localizing an expansion for the most recently released MH. Shit is dumb.

The only fan base Capcom treats well is RE.

JordanKZ

At this point, I very much doubt Great Ace Attorney 1 or 2 will ever come to the West. Instead, we'll keep getting the (arguably worse) mainline series digitally, because that's all we're worth.

Koppai

I was hoping that Nintendo was publishing it in the West, but E3 came and went without any kind of hint. I remember Ace Attorney 4 localization was revealed at Tokyo Game Show, maybe there is hope yet?

Nosgoroth

...Hey, I have a 720p mp4 softsub backup of this that I haven't watched yet but downloaded because I didn't trust it to stay online. I'll send the translator a PM via Reddit to see if they want it.

Vitacat

I don't suppose a translation patch for the game has been made yet, has it? Just wondering since apparently the text is translated.

Top Bottom