• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom removes fan translated Great Ace Attorney videos from youtube

Jawmuncher

Unless you are a MH fan, Capcom has been treating all their fans like crap.

MH is getting treated like crap too with that no localization of XX on switch. Even RE is shitsville right now depending on which side of the fence you're on.
Their best output has been rereleases of old games. It's really sad.

Springy

This is not protecting an IP; It's just being a shithead, nothing else.

Truly, I wouldn't bother trying. The statement you're replying to is not based on any rationale.

I don't understand moves like this from companies. It does not serve them and only engenders ill will.

Springy

No pain here. All the Ace Attorney games after the original trilogy are pretty inferior and a subpar experience.

I have enjoyed several subsequent AA games more than JFA, and I'd say each game in the series has merit.

Not that any of that has any relevance to this topic.

MH is getting treated like crap too with that no localization of XX on switch. Even RE is shitsville right now depending on which side of the fence you're on.
Their best output has been rereleases of old games. It's really sad.

Jaw you're on a very small island on your hate of re7

Jawmuncher

Jaw you're on a very small island on your hate of re7

Hey now I stated it by "Which side of the fence you're on". I made my piece with RE7. It's a solid 7/10 game. But the huge shift back to horror and FPS angle wasn't what a part of that crowd wanted. Remember the series camps are quite divisive.

Vuze

“Not even by 85 year old greedy Japanese businessmen.“

Hm, that doesn’t sound like the same Mr Yasuda from Capcom who I contacted after receiving multiple copyright strikes on MH videos. He patiently and politely explained to me what caused the situation and the strikes were gone minutes after I removed the (rightfully, in retrospective) claimed videos.

But I’m sure the team has contacted the Japanese mail address that was sent along with the takedown notices before issuing insults in an angry post.

E: Going through the conversation again, the strikes were even removed before I deleted the videos. He also said he was sorry I had to go through the trouble and thanked me for being a dedicated fan and supporter of the franchise. *shrug*

E2: the fan sub dude exposed the (semi confidential) mail address and asked to spam it (mildly put) in his initial post. No sympathy if he doesn’t get the channel back as a result.

Camjo-Z

I guess after Capcom was done screwing over Monster Hunter fans with no XX localization they figured Ace Attorney fans deserved some attention too.

Gaspard

DGS are the ones by Shu Takumi, though. The ones you found inferior were high budget fanfic.

image.php

I mean as a whole the games are of lower quality than the trilogy but if you cherry pick the cases there are some real gems. The only cases I would categorize as completely unbearable are Turnabout Big Top (JFA) and Turnabout Serenade (AJ). I also really liked how I came around to Apollo after DD and SoJ.

Japanese game companies seem like some of the worst abusers of YouTube's tools. I remember when Sega's Japanese side bombed a bunch of old Shining Force videos to up search results for their new game. Sega's English-speaking arms tried to get them to back off, only for them to do it again (or something similar) almost immediately after.

I don't think they treat Nico-Nico videos this way, do they?

Yeah fuck them... How dare a company go so far to, protect their own IP....

Maybe im stupid, but is this a universal law?
A game company cannot protect their own IP, becouse the fans cannot play the game in English?
ffs
Unless you are a MH fan, Capcom has been treating all their fans like crap.
I'm not sure MH fans are terribly happy, even if World is getting good reception.

VegiHam

I mean as a whole the games are of lower quality than the trilogy but if you cherry pick the cases there are some real gems. The only cases I would categorize as completely unbearable are Turnabout Big Top (JFA) and Turnabout Serenade (AJ). I also really liked how I came around to Apollo after DD and SoJ.

Hey man I don't share his opinion! I love GS4 5 and 6, and AAI2 is really really good! I was just going with his premise and explaining why he should care about DGS is all. When I say high budget fanfic I don't mean to disparage, I just mean different authorship.
Yes Apollo Justice was Takumi I know but let's not complicate things.

StayDead

How did they not save the footage? What they did wasn't necessarily wrong in translating, but showing the entire game on youtube is entirely wrong imo. They could've just released the text and people read through it as they play.

The ace attorney games are like interactive stories, so it's like subtitling a film and uploading it to youtube. It'd be taken down.

The only fan base Capcom treats well is RE.

As a 20-year RE vet, let me show you how chafed raw my ass is. If the last 5 years has been Capcom's idea of treating their RE fans well, I want no part of it.

I'm not super surprised about this DGS debacle, to be honest. I devoured all of the videos as soon as I knew they existed, because I knew that Capcom was going to bring down the banhammer eventually. I'm curious to see where the re-upload happens, since the original uploader refuses to go back to YouTube. Has he said yet?

How did they not save the footage? What they did wasn't necessarily wrong in translating, but showing the entire game on youtube is entirely wrong imo. They could've just released the text and people read through it as they play.

The ace attorney games are like interactive stories, so it's like subtitling a film and uploading it to youtube. It'd be taken down.

I get your point but Capcom clearly isn't interested in non-Japanese speakers playing this game, so I see no reason to give them any money for it. If they want my money, they have to release the game in the West.

LiK

Fuck, I should've saved them at least. I hope they reupload them to another video site soon. I don't have any hope of playing this.

I am sad because there's nothing to truly imply that a localization currently or is ever coming our way, but...

I will say this. I am not one to be deterred. Not even by 85 year old greedy Japanese businessmen.

This was a labor of love, and we were stabbed in the back by a company. I will not be deterred by false copyright infringement.

EDIT: I have filed a counter notification against Capcom, so possibly something will come about from this. It falls under fair use and educational use.
This feeds into bigger issues about Let's Plays, but this IS entirely Capcom's product.

If they do release their own game down the line, they can make a strong argument that having their entire narrative-based game available online for free isn't in their best interest. This doesn't at all fit with fair use. It's not just a patch that someone might use with a legally ripped rom, it's a translation of a commercial product. This is partly why someone like Rifftrax can't just do their own audio layer on top of a movie and put it on youtube expecting copyright amnesty.

Capcom didn't ask this guy to donate his time into translating, and he owns no part of it beyond a spreadsheet of subtitles. An attitude like this is step 3 out of 5 of fandom toxicity where you have a one-sided relationship where you feel a company personally owes you something, but like he said in his post - he wrote his response in the immediate wake of the takedown, and written in an extremely cranky mood.

That being said, someone wanting to play a game that will probably never officially exist in english, I hope a backup video somehow resurfaces from another source. If monetization truly doesn't matter, a shadier less prolific video hosting service would probably be a good fit.

Link1110

Enough guys! That channel was a commercial product without monetary exchange and had to be put down, same as AM2R
except without the plans to do anything with it commercially :(

Vibranium

Banned
If you're going to take it down, do the fans a favour and localize it, Capcom. Hell, hire some of them to do it.

Or, if it's because of the Sherlock Holmes/Doyle estate rights situation in North America and Europe, communicate to fans on exactly why you can't bring it over.

Bowl0l

...Hey, I have a 720p mp4 softsub backup of this that I haven't watched yet but downloaded because I didn't trust it to stay online. I'll send the translator a PM via Reddit to see if they want it.
Can you PM me a link to download your copy? Thanks.

LAA

Pretty shitty of them when they seemingly have made no intentions clear of allowing non-japanese fluent people of enjoying the game.

I want to hope this is a sign of the games being localised, but AAI2 never happened, despite it making sense to do so at a few times, and I remember they even had the audacity to imply AAI2 may happen if everyone buys the AA remakes, (and still no mention of it since).

Unfortunately though in this case, I understand them doing it when AA is mainly a story heavy based game, so being able to enjoy all of that for free via YouTube obviously ain't good, but again, they've made no intentions clear they want to localise them, so yeah think it's pretty petty when I imagine most people who watched them wouldn't pay for a game they wouldn't be able to understand.

You sad sack saps over at Capcom better be localizing The Great Ace Attorney in light of this news.

It's probably not happening, but I like to believe Capcom isn't doing this *just* to be dickwads...even though that's probably the exact reason.

scitek

If it was such an extensive project, and they were videos, why would they not have just kept the original files? Did they just delete them once they were done uploading?

EDIT: He got a new PC, and never got around to it. That part's not Capcom's fault, and it shouldn't be glossed over.

Lain

“Not even by 85 year old greedy Japanese businessmen.“

Hm, that doesn’t sound like the same Mr Yasuda from Capcom who I contacted after receiving multiple copyright strikes on MH videos. He patiently and politely explained to me what caused the situation and the strikes were gone minutes after I removed the (rightfully, in retrospective) claimed videos.

But I’m sure the team has contacted the Japanese mail address that was sent along with the takedown notices before issuing insults in an angry post.

E: Going through the conversation again, the strikes were even removed before I deleted the videos. He also said he was sorry I had to go through the trouble and thanked me for being a dedicated fan and supporter of the franchise. *shrug*

E2: the fan sub dude exposed the (semi confidential) mail address and asked to spam it (mildly put) in his initial post. No sympathy if he doesn’t get the channel back as a result.

Interesting.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting.
Oh what a surprising plot twist, the loud and angry YouTube person could have actually been able to solve the problem by not blaming and insulting and instead acting like a grown up.
Never seen that before ;)

BossRush

Yeah fuck them... How dare a company go so far to, protect their own IP....

Protect it from what? Me not being able to buy the game here or understand it?

Like, I hope this is either an accident or because they're localizing the game

Eolz

Fucking Capcom.
Unless some surprise localization is announced (lol), this is really shitty.
But then again, their treatment of this IP in the West has been pretty bad.

Top Bottom