• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom replace Okami box art in US (AKA they found out about the IGN watermark)

Tiduz

Eurogaime
sorry if old
source: http://blog.capcom.com/archives/1154 / http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=27138

maxconsole said:
Capcom are offering to replace the US Okami for Wii box art because it was shipped with the ign watermark. "If you purchased Okami for the Wii, for a limited time, you can choose from one of the three art pieces below and Capcom will ship a high-quality version of the box cover straight to your door." You can order your replacement here.

Capcom said:
I can honestly say that my worst day at Capcom was this Monday. After releasing Okami for the Wii last week to some great reviews (Metacritic Average: 88), one of our Okami diehard fans discovered that the folks who work here at Capcom are, in fact, human and can make mistakes.

I’m speaking of the watermark that appeared on the cover of Okami. It’s sadly one of those things that’s hard to spot if you don’t know what your looking for, but the moment you see it, it becomes obvious and stares you in the face.

As fans know, the real art of Okami is on the Game Disc itself, but given the artistic nature of this game, we’d like the outside of the box to match the beauty contained within. To that end, we’re offering a free make-good gift to our fans. If you purchased Okami for the Wii, for a limited time, you can choose from one of the three art pieces below and Capcom will ship a high-quality version of the box cover straight to your door.

Each piece is sized to fit perfectly into your Okami Wii box and will transform your copy into the best-looking game on your shelf. Just head to http://www.capcom.com/artredemption/, fill out the form, and go back to playing Okami while you patiently wait for your new, improved art to make its way to you.

Thanks again for being a fan of both Capcom and Okami! Now get back to painting!

rhidg9.jpg

Link to order replacement: http://www.capcom.com/artredemption/

witness

I ended up ordering the cherry blossom one. Just started playing this game last night for the first time and yeah its amazing.

Ugh, do you think if I email Capcom nicely enough and offer to pay for international shipping they'd send me a replacement cover for my imported US version?

sammy

now THAT's how you do box covers ---- the blossom one with the world map is real nice.

ordered that one, but i'm still keeping my watermark reviews sticker shenanigans one

Haunted

Capcom being nice as usual. How many of those IGN watermark covers were produced? Could be a collector's item in a couple years.

edit: ^^ :p

Althane

I ordered the cherry blossom art. I'm glad Capcom actually stepped up to the plate and did something about this, but that still doesn't entirely excuse the whole watermark thing to begin with. Either way I'm keeping the watermarked cover. That's just too funny to let go.

TigersFan

witness said:
I ended up ordering the cherry blossom one. Just started playing this game last night for the first time and yeah its amazing.
I did too. I'm a bit sad that the spine will stand out, but the other two are just to neat to pass up.

Xyphie

Capcom, use one of these when you release the game in Europe. I hate all the ratings and system stuff on my game covers. Use one of those plastic sleeves you had on DMC4 CE for that.

Please?

Spy

I was thinking about purchasing Okami but hadn't decided whether I want it or not. I ordered the green Okami boxart so I guess I'll go pick the game up after work.

Shahadan

tahrikmili said:
Some real idiots at Capcom. :lol

The funny thing is that because of the IGN watermark Okami Wii has had more talk about it than the ps2 version already following its release. And now with an official reaction, I would say they're pretty much advantaged by this, as this offers some sort of free (even if it is a minor one) advertising, with a funny side on top of that. :lol

How did this happen in the first place? What does IGN have to do with the development or art for a Capcom game, for their logo to appear on one of their products, even if just by mistake?

Dark Octave said:
How did this happen in the first place? What does IGN have to do with the development or art for a Capcom game, for their logo to appear on one of their products, even if just temporary or by accident?
Whoever put the box art together took the piece of background art from IGN and incompletely 'shopped out the watermark, instead of just getting the artwork from an internal Capcom source.

Top Bottom