• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil 7 has made back its development budget, talks sales

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From their investor Q&A, here are the Resident Evil 7 related questions: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2016/3rd/explanation_2016_3rd_03.pdf

Q. Has Resident Evil 7 recouped its development cost at this point?
A. Yes, it has recouped its development cost, and presently has shipped 2.5 million units. (*3 million
units as of February 10.)

Q. How is Resident Evil 7 biohazard (Resident Evil 7, below) performing?
A. As of January 27, it has shipped 2.5 million units. (*3 million units as of February 10.) Compared
to Resident Evil 6 this may seem like a lower initial pace, however this can be attributed to the
recent wider adoption of digital downloads and the transition from a sharp initial spike in sales for
games to a continuous long tail. Further, we believe that achieving our fiscal-year target of 4
million units for this title is wholly possible, as we expect sales to continue for a longer period,
buoyed on highly positive post-launch reviews from both the media and consumers.

Q. To what degree will Resident Evil 7’s additional downloadable content contribute to earnings?
A. Earnings contributions from Resident Evil 7 will come primarily from sales of the main game, with
additional downloadable content playing a complementary role. We believe strategically
releasing appealing additional downloadable content to stimulate continuous interest among
game players will result in an extended lifecycle for the title, and will be important in exceeding
the lifetime units sold by the previous installment over the course of the game's life.

Q. Do you have any plans to bring the Resident Evil series to PC Online games in China?
A. Presently, we are proceeding forward with a number of future projects in the Asian region;
however, at this point in time we are unable to share any specifics, including brand names.

gtj1092

To be expected to by most but some wanted to cling to the notion it must cost just as much or more as RE6 simply by being a new game on PS4 instead of ps3. Glad it's doing well and will be profitable.

Good to hear. It was pretty clear RE7s budget was smaller than RE6 from the get go. It doesn't have to move near as many copies to be profitable.

Also it's a game I expect to show pretty solid legs despite opening under RE6 by a pretty good amount. We are seeing it have smaller drops than RE6 week to week in the UK for example.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Awesome. Not super far into it but living it on PSVR and PS4 Pro so far.

First RE I've ever purchased on launch. (Unless you count REmake Remastered on PS4).

So how it compares to sales of RE5 or RE6 in the same lifespan?

Waaaaaay under RE5, also under RE6. The actual race with RE6 is going to be interesting though as it's showing smaller drops than RE6 and with digital seems to be tracking not hugely under it. RE7 has shipped 3 million in 3 weeks, RE6 did 4.9 million in 6 months. So its really going to come down to how it legs out in comparison to RE6

It may not have moved as much units as RE6 but I think RE7 was an important step toward the long-term health of the franchise and in the end will prove to be more profitable.

Hopefully this will quiet those on Gaf who kept trying to say there was nothing indicating budget and what not was that much better compared to 6.

Such a good game. A lower budget seems likely, so doesn't need to sell as many units to make profit and when compared to RE6, it shows a smaller scale game can be vastly superior too. DLC hasn't been too bad either so far.

Looks like 1st person Resident Evil will be sticking around for a while, hopefully they can improve on this formula and make RE8 even better.

ethomaz

Banned
It will probably sell ahead RE6

After RE6 I thought the series sales could be more affected... nice to see RE7 is tracking pretty well.

4TE405n.gif

RE is coming home.

Ray Down

Banned
Good to hear. It was pretty clear RE7s budget was smaller than RE6 from the get go. It doesn't have to move near as many copies to be profitable.

Also it's a game I expect to show pretty solid legs despite opening under RE6 by a pretty good amount. We are seeing it have smaller drops than RE6 week to week in the UK for example.

Well yeah 6 had like 3 unique campaigns with an unlock-able 4th.

Well derserved. It's really great to see how different of a direction they took from re6. Only need REmake2 to be great to be comfortable with capcom finally getting their act with resident evil together.

Well that's good I guess, means Capcom is convinced that the roots are the way to go

I just hope they don't half ass Resident Evil 8 though, the first half of RE7 was great and it was clear that RE was back but the second half really let me down with all the linear shootbang.

BadWolf

Not surprising, playing through it made it pretty clear that it was much cheaper to make than the mainline action REs.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm surprised by how well it's doing. Hopefully this will also turn people's attention to similar horror games like Outlast 2. :)

vala

Can't check at the moment but, was there anything on Dead Rising?

Q. Dead Rising 4 was produced under a new development organization, following structural reforms;
why has it not received more distinguishing reviews?
A. Compared to the series up to now, this game was made more approachable in order to allow a
wider audience to enjoy it; however, there was a wider range of opinions for the new game.
Moving forward, we intend to grow unit sales on a continuous basis by releasing additional digital
download content while implementing updates for improvements.

mindatlarge

Moving forward, guess we can expect more from this franchise in the first-person. Wouldn't mind seeing a third-person option in a follow-up though. I'm glad the game seems to be doing well. The direction RE7 went had me skeptical at first, but it really is a gem.

BadWolf

And sometimes, less is more! :p

As someone who has played through the action (and prior) REs many times and has very little desire to play RE7 again, I can't say I agree.

It's a good game and has a focused campaign but overall is more of a one and done experience.

Excellent news for VR as well. Going all-in like Capcom did was a huge risk, and it seems to be paying off. Hopefully the rest of the development community isn't going to sit around and let Capcom have this space to themselves. Experimental toe-dipping "experiences" are fine for now, but folks are going to start expecting a whole lot more in terms of VR content after RE7.

Top Bottom