• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil 7 has made back its development budget, talks sales

taoofjord

So what are the reasons why 7 may sell less than 5 or 6? Is the core gamer market shrinking? Is it a loss of confidence in the franchise after 6? The marketing of 7? Lower interest in a strictly single player title? Survivor horror focus instead of action?

Verder

So we celebr...
giphy.gif

Yo can the action RE/RE6 fans at least let people celebrate that the horror survival entry in the series are getting the sales it deserves instead of acting thirsty af and trying to spin the thread to be a action RE VS. Survival horror thread.

forreal .

Re7 was fantastic . Im honestly tired of people bashing on it just because it wasnt resident evil 6.5

So what are the reasons why 7 may sell less than 5 or 6? Is the core gamer market shrinking? Is it a loss of confidence in the franchise after 6? The marketing of 7? Lower interest in a strictly single player title? Survivor horror focus instead of action?
I think in addition to other factors the shift from co-op to singleplayer will be a big reason for reduced sales. Cooperative play was a big selling point for RE5 and its successors to a lot of people.

KyleCross

forreal .

Re7 was fantastic . Im honestly tired of people bashing on it just because it wasnt resident evil 6.5

As has been mentioned already, we put up with it for a long ass time from survival horror fans when the series went action. Now it's your turn. We're gonna remain vocal.

75$-85$ is pretty small dev budget though , when you think about marketing. This game had a pretty big marketing push , its not hard to think that marketting budget alone would be around $40-50m.

Developing a new engine,VR tech and game for $40-50m is pretty damn efficient i'd say.

If they follow through , RE8 should be minting a lot of cash. Since a lot of development budget would be cut down.

$75- $85 isn't that small for a game now days. The majority of games are developed for well under $100 million right now. There are outliers but most games that are on PS4 and Xbox One did not cost 100 million to make.

If you notice Capcom said the development budget has been made back. They don't mention marketing at all, it may be they haven't recouped marketing expenses yet.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The preferred goal would be to see no fan get fucked over.
But we'll see if capcom can manage that and if either side can stop complaining about the other if said goal was ever put into practice.

I'd say the inclusion/mechanics/amount of combat ensured the older fans weren't getting fucked over either.

At the reveal, I was afraid they're just copying Soma/Outlast. However, this is basically a game in the vein of REmake just in a first person perspective. It's not like RE4/5/6 where you practically earn points for combat, thus completely eliminating any form of tension.

I absolutely adore 4, think it's the greatest game ever made but it was high-time the series did something different, it was on the fast-track to completely burning out.

As someone said in another topic, I wouldn't mind if they kept the Revelations series third person, RE2make a fixed camera game and future numbered entries in vein of 7.

Mister X

Neo Member
I'm happy that Capcom did well with it, it was their best one since RE4. But please don't mess with REmake 2, just use the blueprint that made REmake so great. Don't make it an FPS thinking that's what people want for that game.

Jawmuncher

Being a fan of both styles is great. No matter what path they choose I'm being catered too :D

I wouldn't even be mad about the lack of action RE if there was an actual franchise of some sort filling that void. But there just isn't any other action series on the market that is big on gunplay and setting up melee moves. Much like how after RE0 there wasn't really any RE games about exploring, puzzles and item management with the combat being a lesser focus until 7.

I need my fix of that action style, like older fans needed the fix they got with RE7.
I'll still love the series regardless and play whatever comes out though.

Great news. The hate from fans who wanted this to be another action game is baffling to me. We got a good action RE a couple years ago and I'm willing to bet that we will be seeing Revelations 3 or its equivalent soon. Play Titanfall 2 if you want a non-stop shooter with great mechanics.

Jawmuncher

Great news. The hate from fans who wanted this to be another action game is baffling to me. We got a good action RE a couple years ago and I'm willing to bet that we will be seeing Revelations 3 or its equivalent soon. Play Titanfall 2 if you want a non-stop shooter with great mechanics.

I know for me personally, there is no other game on the market with mechanics even similar to RE4-6. Vanquish is probably the closest thing. Also I know for most people in my circle, don't consider the Revelation games nor Umbrella Corps as good "action" games. UC for obvious reasons, and Revelations for having less action than even RE4.

I don't think anything will of RE7. It wasn't as good as I would have hoped. But I do enjoy the old style and greatly look forward to RE8. They have a great base there. But as I said above, I really want something to fill that void of action RE. Nothing on the market does that. Just like nothing on the market filled that void of classic survival horror style gameplay until RE7.

Blueingreen

I'm so happy for you Capcom san, now please release Super SFV with a great arcade mode if you want to make it rain.
That's my hope. I want all RE fans to get what they want.

I quite enjoyed RE6 for what it was, but I love RE7 so much more the best survival horror of this decade so far imo, i don't see why they can't take RE6 combat mechanics and apply it to a Dino Crisis reboot would be far better suited there imo.

Waaaaaay under RE5, also under RE6. The actual race with RE6 is going to be interesting though as it's showing smaller drops than RE6 and with digital seems to be tracking not hugely under it. RE7 has shipped 3 million in 3 weeks, RE6 did 4.9 million in 6 months. So its really going to come down to how it legs out in comparison to RE6
RE6 also hit the bargain bin after one month, so the 6 month sales are inflated. If RE7 manages to sell 4 million until their sales target at full price, they will likely make comparatively more money than RE6 did even without taking development costs into account.

Astral Dog

Lower marketing than 6 and a lot of action fans are either too afraid or not interested in an horror game about a crazy family

Guess Capcom were happy to fuck over the RE4,5, and 6 fans...

PS: Nothing stops Capcom from making a game like this in Third Person...

They didn't stop. Revelations 1 and 2 are fucking fantastic. But for some reason fans of RE6 think they're trash low budget games because...they're not mainline RE?

Jawmuncher

They didn't stop. Revelations 1 and 2 are fucking fantastic. But for some reason fans of RE6 think they're trash low budget games because...they're not mainline RE?

No, because their gameplay isn't as appealing as the mainline titles. They have less action than even RE4.

I've made this comparison as well. It's like saying all DMC fans should be good with DmC gameplay wise. I mean it is a action game after all in the series.
That obviously isn't the case and The Rev games sit in that same sort of category. They aren't bad for what they are. But the intention of both 1 and 2 were to go offer something more for horror fans.
People who want action RE could care less about the game having prominent horror. They just want good gameplay mechanics and entertaining ways to kills enemies. Both rev games lack that. The closest the games get is Rev 2 and some of the special you can unlock in raid. Which is a far cry from the numerous melee moves at your disposal in RE 4-6

Lower marketing than 6 and a lot of action fans are either too afraid or not interested in an horror game about a crazy family
...With frickin chainsaw duels, grenade launcher and flame thrower action and fighting giant, house sized monsters. And shotgun one shot kill headshotting never gets old and works exactly like in RE4.
The game has plenty to offer for more action focused players but methinks a large number of them haven't even tried out the game.

Can I also say that I really, really hate the factionalism in this thread and RE threads in general? Getting tired of the "my group was shafted, now it's your turn to get shafted" talk and the wild generalisations being thrown around.

I loved RE 1, RE0 and Revelations 1, consider RE4 to be the best game of all time, still consider Rev 2 to be a good, RE6 to be a solid and RE5 to be an alright game. Loved RE7 and think it's the best game in the series since RE4. So in which camp does that put me? There are actually people out there that loved or at least liked both the horror and the more action focused games and I get past without hoping that Capcom suffers financial failures that might bury the IP or throwing insults at people that like other games around or trash talking the good Revelations games just because they had lower production values and slightly less enemy encounters. Jeez, fanboy wars are the worst.

Let's get back on topic.

The preferred goal would be to see no fan get fucked over.
But we'll see if capcom can manage that and if either side can stop complaining about the other if said goal was ever put into practice.
And how is that supposed to work out when Capcom releases a game in a more horror direction to please the "fucked over" fans and then the fan crowd of the last two or three games raise a massive ruckus instead of waiting and seeing how the next games in the series will look like (including RE2 remake) or even trying out the new game to see if it has stuff in it they might like (you being excluded on the latter point as you actually played RE7)? Because I fail to see how you can implement both old-school survival horror and the RE6 Michael Bay shootabang with roundhouse kicks and with legion sized enemy encounter rates into the same game.

funny to see re6 fans being negative with this great news

The wheel turns and those who cannot(or refuse to) adapt get crushed. As it happened with the fans of RE1-3 that could not accept RE4-6, so it will happen to the fans of 4-6 who cannot accept the new standard. Hopefully RE7 will set the standard for the series for a few future installments (maybe up to RE9), and then we'll get another shift. No one fanbase is special, and when the wheel turns, if you ain't willing to roll with it, have fun being smashed beneath it.

Though if it is any consolation, action RE fans have had 7 years as the series fanbase darlings, and that style was basically used up in most of the side-projects up UNTIL RE7, as well as released major echoes throughout the movie series (if that's good or bad, that's up to your own tastes regarding that beast). That's a long time, but nothing lasts forever, nor should it. Thus the wheel turns...

When I can do all of this in Gears then we can talk.

No other game has melee based action gun gameplay like RE. That's why RE action fans can't shut up.
It's a brawler so no guns, but:
zcRIoAVLw.gif

zcRKiqKtR.gif

zcTiP8GHu.gif

Though I agree with you, Jaw. Mainline series can be as spooky as they want it, I don't mind. Just give us action fans something as well. I'm all for Revelations 3 being more action focused and in the style of RE6, even though I really liked the things that they did with Rev 2.

When I can do all of this in Gears then we can talk.

No other game has melee based action gun gameplay like RE. That's why RE action fans can't shut up.

That's my hope. I want all RE fans to get what they want.

Boyo, Yakuza 0 is for you if you want a kung-fu ga-

zcRIoAVLw.gif

zcRKiqKtR.gif

zcTiP8GHu.gif

Though I agree with you, Jaw. Mainline series can be as spooky as they want it, I don't mind. Just give us action fans something as well. I'm all for Revelations 3 being more action focused and in the style of RE6, even though I really liked the things that they did with Rev 2.

OH FFS.

Jawmuncher

Boyo, Yakuza 0 is for you if you want a kung-fu ga-

OH FFS.

zcRIoAVLw.gif

zcRKiqKtR.gif

zcTiP8GHu.gif

We shall see. I just got Yakuza 0. So I hope it can fill some of that current emptiness.

...With frickin chainsaw duels, grenade launcher and flame thrower action and fighting giant, house sized monsters. And shotgun one shot kill headshotting never gets old and works exactly like in RE4.
The game has plenty to offer for more action focused players but methinks a large number of them haven't even tried out the game.

Can I also say that I really, really hate the factionalism in this thread and RE threads in general? Getting tired of the "my group was shafted, now it's your turn to get shafted" talk and the wild generalisations being thrown around.

I loved RE 1, RE0 and Revelations 1, consider RE4 to be the best game of all time, still consider Rev 2 to be a good, RE6 to be a solid and RE5 to be an alright game. Loved RE7 and think it's the best game in the series since RE4. So in which camp does that put me? There are actually people out there that loved or at least liked both the horror and the more action focused games and I get past without hoping that Capcom suffers financial failures that might bury the IP or throwing insults at people that like other games around or trash talking the good Revelations games just because they had lower production values and slightly less enemy encounters. Jeez, fanboy wars are the worst.

Let's get back on topic.

And how is that supposed to work out when Capcom releases a game in a more horror direction to please the "fucked over" fans and then the fan crowd of the last two or three games raise a massive ruckus instead of waiting and seeing how the next games in the series will look like (including RE2 remake) or even trying out the new game to see if it has stuff in it they might like (you being excluded on the latter point as you actually played RE7)? Because I fail to see how you can implement both old-school survival horror and the RE6 Michael Bay shootabang with roundhouse kicks and with legion sized enemy encounter rates into the same game.

It goes both ways. How quick were some horror fans to dislike 4-6? But I understand what you mean. You can't really make a RE6 game and have really good horror as well. At least in the sense of making it scary. My whole angle is that capcom makes multiple RE games anyway. So they should just angle them to appeal to different groups they made. A big example would be Umbrella Corps. Why make something no one was asking for when they could've for the same budget possibly had a mercs game they could keep feeding DLC to for example. It's little things like that. Capcom has the capacity to please all the divides they have made. Just a matter if they choose to do so. Or if they'll screw over another fanbase for 10 years like they did horror fans.

I'll never ask for horror RE to die, or anything like that. Not in any serious capacity. My posts always just come from a place of showing that there is still interest in that style and that's really it. At the end of it all I like RE as a whole. Yeah I prefer action and want to see more of it. Just like horror fans prefer that and want more of it. But I'll be playing whatever gets put on my plate.

Oh and for the record, Yakuza 0 does have guns, but they're mechanically clunky and using them is never really explained properly (Down on the D-Pad with one equipped, then Triangle). But mano-e-mano fisticuffs is so much more satisfying and dependable.

I've been using a shotgun for occasional crowd-control as Kiryu (Majima's Breaker style makes this unnecessary in his chapters), but you first need to unlock the weapons shop for him in order to reload guns.

Neff

Duckroll wants them to return to the 'glory' days of RE6.

While I think RE6 is a better game than RE7, I'm happy with where RE is right now and I want RE8 to pick up where RE7 left off mechanically and structurally, albeit with a bigger budget and more content.

Fisty

It might have sold less, but I think it's selling as well as a follow-up to RE6 could. The sales would be much more dire if RE7 wasn't as good as it is

PS: Nothing stops Capcom from making a game like this in Third Person...

Real Resident Evil fans have always known & enjoyed the series as horror based instead of as a 3rd person shooter.

jrDev

Real Resident Evil fans have always known & enjoyed the series as horror based instead of as a 3rd person shooter.
I'm saying from a sales perspective, clearly there are more fans of one style than the other. And for a company that needed all the sales they can get, it was a baffling decision to leave out the larger fanbase...

Sad that Capcom is championing "breaking even", the big wigs are definitely watching them closely...

Every re thread is going to be about this isnt it. Such a shame

Glad it was successful it's a good game got me to play first person game something i rarely do

Korigama

The marketing for 7 was very much on point. I would say that the lack of co-op is a likely factor, but wouldn't consider the mixed reaction to 6 blameless. In Japan, the shift to first-person probably has much to do with it.

I'm quite pleased with the new direction after hating 5 and 6, but I wouldn't be surprised if a significant amount of those who don't like it are displeased with a dirtier, grimier RE focused on horror where they don't play as anyone particularly remarkable, rather than something with badasses that make them look and feel cool.

KyleCross

Honestly, I'd take Raccoon City. Raccoon City, tho fucked, is still in proper reality. All you gotta do is avoid being killed by the various BOWs and then get out before the place is nuked. No small task... but then you got Silent Hill which goes into a hellscape from which there is no clear way to escape. If I was caught in Raccoon City, I'd fight to survive. If I was trapped in Silent Hill, I'd just roll up and accept I'm fucked.

1) RE7's marketing was pretty much non-existent compared to RE6.
2) Action games are more popular.
3) Iconic RE characters (in RE6) are really popular.
4) RE6 has good TPS based mechanics

I still don't understand people acting like RE7 is a legitimate return to horror when after you kill the second boss it becomes Revelations 3 with bullet blob enemies and forced shooting with none of the interesting mechanics of the good RE action games. It's just a bad action game with no enemy variety.

RSB

Banned
I need my fix of that action style, like older fans needed the fix they got with RE7.
I'll still love the series regardless and play whatever comes out though.
Yeah, I wish.

Maybe (hopefully) the RE2 Remake will be a return to classic RE, but RE7 sure isn't.

I think deep down we all want to fight William Birken in first person VR. Search your feelings.
No, I most definitely don't want that. RE2 Remake should be classic style, like REmake.

And besides, if they were to fuck up the RE2 Remake by changing it into a different style, I'd rather have it turned into the style of RE4-6 than the style of RE7.

Love this game in VR so much, horror games never really scare me just give me the odd chill and jump but this has petrified me lol

In VR I feel like a 8 year old again sneaking downstairs at night to watch horror movies :D

wbacon

Capcom USA
Definitely gonna pick it up Play Anywhere when it goes on sale.

Free PC copy and a nice Scorpio boost.

If you are in the U.S., Microsoft is hosting a "$15 cash back" style promotion on select zombie-related content purchased on Windows Store UWP version. RE7 is also eligible.

LIMITED TIME OFFER: Get a free $15.00 Windows Store gift code to buy even more games! See below for full details.*

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/resident-evil-7-biohazard/9nblggh4spk6

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/resident-evil-7-biohazard-deluxe-edition/9nfqkm3lqnnx

Astral Dog

All

Top Bottom