• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil needs to be more actiony, survival horror = sales less than CoD

AAK

Isn't that another series that will be abandoning it's horror roots soon? I'd heard for a while now that Dead Space 3 would be the final "horror game" in the series, with future titles focusing more on action.

Dead Space 3 isn't even announced yet. But whatever the future holds, as of now, it still is the flagship Horror game representation the industry has to offer today.

I think this is wrong, honestly. I'd say Resident Evil 1, 2, & Revelations are all great, though maybe not as great as 4.

Everything pre-4 was far too clunky for me to play. I wanted to like them, but actually playing them felt like torture.

Not played Revelations but everything I've seen/heard ranges from mediocre to bad.

rCIZZLE

That's a shame... I like stuff that's different. EVERY game is actiony now and I've been getting a lot of gaming fatique with all the Mass Effect, Gears of War, Uncharted, GTA, etc type games. Everything plays the same now.

Resident Evil is their flagship franchise, so I can see why he would say something like that. It's business after all.

But I'm fine as long as they offer more games like Revelations.

stuminus3

Could you do me a favor and ask him if either of these titles look interesting to him?
No interest at all. I guess part that would be that at 12 years old, kids care what other kids at school are getting excited about, and the kids at school aren't getting excited about a sequel to a weird looking game that came out before they were born (or before Modern Warfare, heh). There's pretty much nothing Capcom can do about that.

I've been trying to convince him for months that Team Fortress 2 is better bang for buck but he's having none of it. ^_^

Metallix87

Not played Revelations but everything I've seen/heard ranges from mediocre to bad.

You should give it a chance sometime. To me, it's a really nice mix of RE4-style gameplay with RE1 & 2 styled atmosphere and horror. Not perfect, mind you, but a nice step towards both returning RE to it's horror roots, and also towards building a horror game fanbase on handhelds, in this case the 3DS.

You should give it a chance sometime. To me, it's a really nice mix of RE4-style gameplay with RE1 & 2 styled atmosphere and horror. Not perfect, mind you, but a nice step towards both returning RE to it's horror roots, and also towards building a horror game fanbase on handhelds, particularly 3DS.

I need a 3DS first :p If I could get it for dirt cheap I'd be willing to give it a go, but all of the coverage of it on Giant Bomb made it sound like a game I'd hate.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No interest at all. I guess part that would be that at 12 years old, kids care what other kids at school are getting excited about, and the kids at school aren't getting excited about a sequel to a weird looking game that came out before they were born (or before Modern Warfare, heh). There's pretty much nothing Capcom can do about that.
Thanks.

Anteater

This is the RE revelations producer right? His opinion won't really matter and aren't really related to RE6 isn't it? Who cares about him
KuGsj.gif

unless you bought and hated revelations that is =P

GQman2121

Banned
Dead Space 3 isn't even announced yet. But whatever the future holds, as of now, it still is the flagship Horror game representation the industry has to offer today.

Is it really? I've only played the original, but I thought that was more of a shooter than survival horror. All signed pointed to the second game being even more of a shooter too, so if Dead Space is the new measuring stick, then maybe the genre is running on fumes and Capcom are right to go all in on Michael Bay RE.

Call of duty is almost like the iPad. I still say there is no real tablet market, only an iPad market, and any other sales are just residual effects of the ipad market waves or something. Same with call of duty, developers try to chase it but I don't think there is anything to chase. I think call of duty is its own market these days. You might be able to catch some scraps here and there but nothing will come close.

That is of course unless you go head to head with it, make Resident Evil 6 a full blown multiplayer focused shooter with an intense zombie campaign. Oh wait, we're getting that in Black Ops 2.

Pretty much exclusively Giant Bomb. The Quick Look made the game look terribly boring and then their further impressions on the podcast really outlined major issues which convinced me I wouldn't like it.

I know, just one source, and I don't take GB's word as gospel or anything, but with this game I feel like they really voiced concerns about it which I could see myself having.

But anyway, this isn't about how I formed my opinion of Revelations :p

fernoca

As long as the games are good, I'm there.

Then again, this is not the first time that similar comparison is made (i.e. see Final Fantasy XIII).

Metallix87

Revelations is a very actiony RE game and it's very fun. I don't get all the actiony RE hate

I don't think it's hate towards the action, but towards abandoning the horror atmosphere and a lot of survival horror conventions in favor of streamlining the series to fit the action game mold.

There can be a balance, and I think both RE4 and RE:R managed to be balanced in this sense.

King Boo

lol you guys must stop hating. i like action re. i enjoyed chris punching a rock. and i hope there's more of that in re6. and wesker.

soultron

Banned
If they think COD is an easy million-seller just because it's an action-oriented game, they're being a bit short-sighted.

COD sells so well because the developers and publishers over at the COD stables and Activision are leveraging so many avenues in making the game a ubiquitous entertainment platform;

• Yearly installments
  • Social media hooks
  • ELITE subscription model
  • Content between releases
  • Marketing that's laser-focused on hitting the target demographic
  • Competitive and CO-OP multiplayer along with SP, making it a complete package that appeals to anyone who likes blowing shit up and shooting guns
  • Blowing shit up and shooting guns
  • RPG leveling mechanics that load on the instant gratification; prestiging makes this compulsion loop endless

Aside from blowing shit up and shooting guns and a smart marketing campaign, what else can RE do to become more like COD?

The core mechanics don't really support it being a success like COD from what we've seen. Slant Six tried their hand at competitive RE MP and we fairly easily assume that it will not be as successful as COD's MP.

CAPCOM needs to develop a series from scratch that has the capability to be turned into an entertainment platform like the COD franchise has become. RE, in my opinion, cannot be retrofitted to be a smash hit success like COD. The series will need a complete overhaul or smart additions for this to be the case.

Even then we're left with the question of whether or not the market has room for two similar successes.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
More games like Revelations are fine by me, sadly RE6 looks the complete opposite. Still, it's not like the franchise is anywhere near as good as it was under Mikami. 'Resident Evil' ended with RE4, what we have now is like the last two seasons of Seinfeld.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RE4 has amazing set pieces, pacing, boss fights, encounter design and tension. Also a non shitty inventory. It even has some great scares.

RE5 was not this and I doubt making 6 more like CoD will get you a game as good as 4 or significantly more sales.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Classic RE died way before "CoD sales", it died with 4. For everyone who calls 4 the greatest game ever, well, here's RE5 and RE6 because that's what you're looking for. I loved RE5 personally, so I can't wait for 6, but this non-survival horror RE phase has been around for almost a decade.

On the Dead Space series:

Is it really? I've only played the original, but I thought that was more of a shooter than survival horror. All signed pointed to the second game being even more of a shooter too, so if Dead Space is the new measuring stick, then maybe the genre is running on fumes and Capcom are right to go all in on Michael Bay RE.
Yeah, Dead Space is a shooter. I like the series, but as a traditional Resident Evil fan who thinks RE2 was the shit, Dead Space doesn't come close as a replacement.

But then again, there aren't many games that do. Or...any.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Everything pre-4 was far too clunky for me to play. I wanted to like them, but actually playing them felt like torture.

Remake is easily an equally good game as 4, though not in the same areas. 2 would have been as good as Remake if they had remade it with the same attention.

Ahahaha, if I were sober I'd take the time to go back to the old threads and dig up every last defense force quote which was trying desperately to spin it like Capcom wasn't chasing Call of Duty.

Now Capcom said it themselves.

What's the defense force going to say now?

Classic RE died way before "CoD sales", it died with 4. For everyone who calls 4 the greatest game ever, well, here's RE5 and RE6 because that's what you're looking for.

Yeah if you ignore most of what makes 4 one of the best games ever.

5 doesn't touch it. Nothing I've seen of 6 so far suggests it will, either.

Seik

Banned
This is...a really sad thing to read.

Giving a fuck if your game sell more/less than CoD, then trying to approach a similar style hoping you'll get more sales, is the worst, worst mentality ever.

Capcom is mind blowing.

soultron

Banned
Remake is easily an equally good good as 4, though not in the same areas. 2 would have been as good as Remake if they had remade it with the same attention.

REmake is not an easy recommendation to make at all. It's great if you grew up playing earlier installments, but I doubt someone coming into the series in a post RE4 would will have the patience for it. Even with the cool additions like Crimson Heads and the rearranged enemy placements. I think it's a great game but I completely understand the uninitiated would see it as an archaic bore.

Grisby

Everyone chasing that COD train. I don't blame them but I think you can carve out a nice market for yourself in other ways.

Still a disappointing read.

Himself

The worst thing amongst the multitudes of shitty things Call of Duty has influenced is sales expectations. Developers/publishers should just give up trying to chase those numbers by following suit.

RE6 chris segments are going to be fucking gears of cover and shoot I can see it now, and if they add in regenerating health...

CV was the last true classic RE in my eyes, RE4 was a good game but it was a different approach and one which is getting out of hand now.

Pretty much exclusively Giant Bomb. The Quick Look made the game look terribly boring and then their further impressions on the podcast really outlined major issues which convinced me I wouldn't like it.

I know, just one source, and I don't take GB's word as gospel or anything, but with this game I feel like they really voiced concerns about it which I could see myself having.

But anyway, this isn't about how I formed my opinion of Revelations :p
Revelations is one of my favorite games of all time, so it's hard for me to outline major issues, lol. And as far as Resident Evil goes, I think it's only second to Resident Evil 4 because that game is FUN FUN FUN.

Revelations is a Resident Evil game through and through, so if you are a fan of the series, you should give it a try.

Top Bottom