• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil needs to be more actiony, survival horror = sales less than CoD

G-Fex

Yeah pretty much why I'm not hyped nor care about RE6.

Ok I haven't been in gaming much apparently, what's with the stupid Capcom misspelling crap?

When Mikami made Resident Evi/REmake his idea was not an offshoot of the action/adventure game at all. Survival Horror up to the original Alone in the Dark, was a graphic adventure derivative. Mikamis inspiration has always been the original Graphic Adventures as I said the Original Alone in the Dark, Maniac Mansion. It is just that within construct his game and the story provided that slight action elements were added, because they were Police for Gods sake.

In RE1/REmake there was no massive explosions until the end of the game, there was no intense white knuckle action. Bleeding edge movie scenarios. If you were playing as Jill you got the shotgun early, as Chris your most powerful weapon for 2/3rds of the "beginning" game was a pistol. It was about the oppressive atmosphere, limited items, thought, methodical and gradual progression. However RE1/REmake was designed so brilliantly that when you do know the game you can see how the initially challenging events and puzzle scenarios can be linked into a moving cohesive framework that is almost zen like. That is the brilliance of RE1/REmake. The game is splendidly made on a level that you cannot possibly conceive, because it was built on the graphic adventure foundations, with added combat for more challenge, danger and decision making, because really every bullet counted. If you cannot under the machinations of RE1/Remake or if you need to understand what true game design is, you have to start here. You can do a thesis on the architectural game design genius of of RE1/REmake.

It was the other 3 games ( RE2, RE3 - still great games ) CV ( horrible ), which he had no hand in, that clouded peoples eyes into thinking RE was an action oriented franchise, which was not of his doing.

Of course the Master had to try his hand at something new, because others took his ground breaking work and ran it into the floor and RE4 was fantastic, but it is nothing compared to the master craft work Mikami did with RE1/REmake, and now the great work he left them with in RE4 will also be raped. History just repeats.

They sale better now then ever before.

People like to forget that all the games they like to wank off did bad or good at best.

as a percentage of console owners its porbably much less though. I'm not sure.

They still have no talent any longer. All the DMC fanboys cried over the last one and got it changed to an emo style dead 8 years ago when DMC 4 was its highest selling in the series. Disjointed, borken company.

I'm enjoying their demise.

Eusis

They sale better now then ever before.

People like to forget that all the games they like to wank off did bad or good at best.
Depends on the game, but those also came out at different times. Still, it seems to me like a broken model if you look at a few million sales and go "not good enough" if this wasn't a series already proven to sell insane numbers like CoD, Mario, or GTA.

I wouldn't say RE4 is your typical survival horror. I think someone called it "adrenaline horror" and well maybe that's more apt.

Action-Horror? I put it in the same genre as the film Aliens. Perfect blend of "Fuck yeah!" and "Oh shit!"

Such a hard game to classify. The mechanics are pure TPS but it's in the context of survival horror.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Atmosphere, agreed. A functional inventory? Nothing wrong with RE5's inventory. I just recently platted the game for a second time. The inventory is actually done great between missions with storing/buying/upgrading. RE4 is a tetris game. Seriously..the inventory? And RE5 is not meant to be played solo. If you played it with the AI, well, that's on you.

This is the same as telling me to turn the lights off when I play to make it scarier. I shouldn't have to add on layers of handicaps to make the game design (or in this case "genre design") better. That's the..game designer's..job.

Just to clarify, I love RE4, but I don't see how a fan of RE4 could not enjoy RE5 and the eventual RE6. It's an evolution of 4's ideas. If you don't play co-op games, well, then the argument ends there. 5 and 6 are co-op games.

There is no evolution when the game fails at many of the aspects that made 4 great. Nevermind that coop isnt some auto plus.

Beth Cyra

as a percentage of console owners its porbably much less though. I'm not sure.

They still have no talent any longer. All the DMC fanboys cried over the last one and got it changed to an emo style dead 8 years ago when DMC 4 was its highest selling in the series. Disjointed, borken company.

I'm enjoying their demise.

No, their former games just did that much worse.

Everyone's favorite puppy Clover was closed because their games couldn't sale. It had nothing to do with %'s.

Alot of people loved DMC 4. Fucking amazing combat. The reason we DMC fans are getting Emo Dante is because 2.7 million copies wasn't enough for Capcom and Itsuno wanted to do something else.

Yeah pretty much why I'm not hyped nor care about RE6.

Ok I haven't been in gaming much apparently, what's with the stupid Capcom misspelling crap?

There's been a recent string of misspellings on Capcom's packaging lately; Revelations, Asura's Wrath, and some other crap I've forgotten. Right now, it's widely believed to be incompetence, but I still believe that it's a bitter ex-fan working from the inside; all I need to confirm my theory is for something to ship with "Crapcom" in a prominent spot on an upcoming retail game.

This is the same as telling me to turn the lights off when I play to make it scarier. I shouldn't have to add on layers of handicaps to make the game design (or in this case "genre design") better. That's the..game designer's..job.

I just wanted to say that the game designer can really only do so much with a horror game. The genre is absolutely dependent on maintaining atmosphere via immersion - and there are factors outside of the game that can add to immersion. I think Silent Hill 2 is an incredibly scary game, but If I play Beach Boys on top of it, the immersion is almost entirely ruined. Good horror is necessarily a highly sensory experience, and usually anything internal or external that enhances your sensory experience affects the feelings toward the game.

That said, the game has to include a strong foundation for any external additions to bolster the fear factor (e.g., no amount of darkness can make Alan Wake scary for me).

Anyway, I enjoyed Revelations, and it could have been scary if the developers had 1) dropped the damn partner who kills the atmosphere (and isn't even helpful, like Sheva was); and 2) made the enemies more mysterious rather than mere bullet sponges. Raid Mode is fun, but for totally different reasons.

RE4 is god-like, in my eyes, because it's charming. It only has a few legitimately creepy parts, but strong atmosphere, good weapon "feel," a lovable "cheesy" script, and frikkin' Leon S. Kennedy and his I-flip-over-lasers-because bad-ass self. Also, the pacing is incredible, demonstrating wonderful economy and direction. It also feels more like an "adventure," whereas RE5 (much like Revelations) just feels like an arcade game (I think the forced "episodic" nature adds to that feeling; yes, I know RE4 had chapters, too).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
'needs to head', but there was nothing survival horror about RE5, or even RE:R. People that said RE:R went back to survival horror don't have a clue. You unload more ammo, and kill more monsters in some chapters than you would in an entire playthrough of REmake, or Resident Evil 2.

Riposte

I just wanted to say that the game designer can really only do so much with a horror game. The genre is absolutely dependent on maintaining atmosphere via immersion

It should be made clear "horror" or "survival-horror" are not genres. They are themes you can find in a game's atmosphere and the survival aspect can be reflected in the mechanics of any genre (though it not tied to horror).

EDIT: Fire Walk With Me... have you ever considered the possibility that your perception of reality is being distorted by your desires?

Kacho

Gold Member
Not the news I want to hear but money talks I guess.

My only question is this:

Back in 2009 or 2010, someone at Capcom said they wanted to up the amount of Resident Evil titles released each year due to the brands popularity and we're beginning to see that this year.

So, if they're going to continue releasing a large number of Resident Evil titles, why can't they develop an off-shoot on consoles that focuses on the survival-horror aspects?

No, their former games just did that much worse.

Everyone's favorite puppy Clover was closed because their games couldn't sale. It had nothing to do with %'s.

Alot of people loved DMC 4. Fucking amazing combat. The reason we DMC fans are getting Emo Dante is because 2.7 million copies wasn't enough for Capcom and Itsuno wanted to do something else.

Not sure what Clover has to do with their direction any longer.

I loved DMC4. The beginning of SF4 was a renassiance for the company I think they've gone into the void now. I dont see them digging out.

Beth Cyra

Not sure what Clover has to do with their direction any longer.

I loved DMC4. The beginning of SF4 was a renassiance for the company I think they've gone into the void now. I dont see them digging out.

My point, was even at their highest point of quality (Clover takes this for alot of people) it factored zero to them selling and it was in fact that the higher quality of people they linked together the worse their games performed.

Granted I don't think that last bit is true so much as the stuff those people wanted to create just wasn't what people wanted to play at the time.

Revelations likely ends up doing ~600k worldwide by the end of April or May. Respectable, but not the huge hit some expected it to be.

As for your latter comment, I'd blame the giant RE5 fanbase over RE4 fans. RE4 is genuinely one of the best games ever crafted.

RE5 doesn't have a huge fanbase it just sold better than 4, people don't put it up on the pedestal like 4. how can Capcom get rid of that design style that the 4 fans are so crazy for. We will continue to get variations of 4's style till they run it into the ground. If REmake 2 came out tomorrow and got treated the same as 4 they'd run that into the ground and we would be tired of it again.

Though I liked Revelations wayyyyyy more then 4, and think its by far a better game.

'needs to head', but there was nothing survival horror about RE5, or even RE:R. People that said RE:R went back to survival horror don't have a clue. You unload more ammo, and kill more monsters in some chapters than you would in an entire playthrough of REmake, or Resident Evil 2.

Look at this from a business perspective, Remake(best in the series) sold1.3 million from 2002-2008
RE5(the best selling) did 5.8 million copies in two years.
and OT MW3 did 6.5 million copies in a single day, this is still dumb of them but of course they want a part of that.

G-Fex

There's been a recent string of misspellings on Capcom's packaging lately; Revelations, Asura's Wrath, and some other crap I've forgotten. Right now, it's widely believed to be incompetence, but I still believe that it's a bitter ex-fan working from the inside; all I need to confirm my theory is for something to ship with "Crapcom" in a prominent spot on an upcoming retail game.

Interesting.

3cd8a33a.png

WTF Capcom seriously! Make RE games more "actiony" and I'll never buy another game in the series again.

Kalnos

Banned
Take the setting/puzzle solving/ammo conserving/tension of REmake and combine it with RE4 Aiming. Make it happen Capcom.

Take the setting/puzzle solving/ammo conserving/tension of REmake and combine it with RE4 Aiming. Make it happen Capcom.

LIN as a full game and full budget.

Man Call of Duty has unintentionally ruined so many great franchises. Including my favorite shooter SOCOM. :(
Socom 4 is the main game out there that destroyed itself to get the COD fans. Haven't seen many turn out that bad. I would say im glad it did so bad but Sony will just figure nobody wants Socom anymore and not make a new one.

ksdixon

God I am so annoyed right now. After the Lost In Nightmares DLC for RE5 which played around with static camera angles and felt more like old RE; and RE:Revelations which uses a hybrid modern/classic gameplay (both from 2nd hand understanding), I really hoped we were heading back into that direction after the disaster that was RE5 overall.

hatchx

Banned
When Mikami made Resident Evi/REmake his idea was not an offshoot of the action/adventure game at all. Survival Horror up to the original Alone in the Dark, was a graphic adventure derivative. Mikamis inspiration has always been the original Graphic Adventures as I said the Original Alone in the Dark, Maniac Mansion. It is just that within construct his game and the story provided that slight action elements were added, because they were Police for Gods sake.

In RE1/REmake there was no massive explosions until the end of the game, there was no intense white knuckle action. Bleeding edge movie scenarios. If you were playing as Jill you got the shotgun early, as Chris your most powerful weapon for 2/3rds of the "beginning" game was a pistol. It was about the oppressive atmosphere, limited items, thought, methodical and gradual progression. However RE1/REmake was designed so brilliantly that when you do know the game you can see how the initially challenging events and puzzle scenarios can be linked into a moving cohesive framework that is almost zen like. That is the brilliance of RE1/REmake. The game is splendidly made on a level that you cannot possibly conceive, because it was built on the graphic adventure foundations, with added combat for more challenge, danger and decision making, because really every bullet counted. If you cannot under the machinations of RE1/Remake or if you need to understand what true game design is, you have to start here. You can do a thesis on the architectural game design genius of of RE1/REmake.

Quoted for a brilliant summary of why RE1/REmake is so great and still one of my favorite games ever.

I will never forget my experience with REmake.

Blueblur1

That is so disheartening. With each passing day Capcom makes me want to buy their games less and less. Its as if they're trying to cannibalize the amount of diehard fans that still support them.

sleepykyo

The worst thing amongst the multitudes of shitty things Call of Duty has influenced is sales expectations. Developers/publishers should just give up trying to chase those numbers by following suit.
Even if they gave up on CoD‚ RE isn't going back. Kawata noted RE4 started the shift and it did great . RE5 shifted further and sold even better .

Right up there with "Dante is too Japanese for the west"

FUCK OFF CAPCOM.

What they don't realise is they aren't EA and never ever ever will be. The reason they are arguably the biggest japanese publisher is simple because they built their fanbases be consistanly putting out quality product, time after time after time again.

EA became EA because it was lucky enough to gobble up most of its competitors, through their own bad management decisions and piss poor spending.

That and sports games.

Activison are even more just a product of luck and a handful of half-decent franchises.

The direction that capcom is going isn't going to foster growth, it's going to foster its own destruction. They simply aren't pulling in enough new people to replace the people who are giving up on them.

Most of capcoms fanbase are still the same people who have always bought their games, but even the most patient apologist will get to the stage that enough is enough.

If they don't compete on qualilty content, they have nothing.
In 5 or so years, they will be THQ status. Mark my words.

MIMIC

Banned
"Especially for the North American market, I think the series needs to head in that [action-oriented] direction," Kawata said. "[Resident Evil's primary games] need to be an extension of the changes made in Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5.

I remember playing Resident Evil 2. I beat it at least 4 or 5 times (same with Code Veronica and the others).

Resident Evil 4: Made it half-way through before putting it down and forgetting about it
Resident Evil 5: Made it half-way through
the fucking demo

Now I know why.

I've ALWAYS loved Resident Evil but I really didn't connect with RE4 (despite how amazing people say it was). I feel vindicated :)

Astery

survival horror in RE? I thought it was gone by RE4.
Now it's going to be another COD wannabe, I don't think there is anything left to care about anymore.

Drencrom

"RE4 started in that direction, and RE5 kept going in that direction," he said. "And I think that especially for the North American market, we need to keep going in that direction, and take that a step further. And that's exactly one of the reasons that Revelations is the way it is," he said.

For fuck's sake Capcom. They have seriously turned to shit this gen, no more RE for me at least.

KorrZ

Ugh, why do you have to open your mouth and say stupid shit like this Capcom? It's like you and Konami are trying to compete for who can have the worst 180 in quality from last gen to now.

I actually feel that the Dead Space games are inferior to RE5.

UFtvH.jpg

Beth Cyra

Got to say I'm with those who think RE5 is better then both DS1/2.

There was nothing that scary about these games and the storyline was even worse.

The use of children/schools in 2 was comical, not horror.

This is a dumb, awful dragon to try and chase.

Because 99% of games will absolutely never reach it and 90% of games won't even tap the same audience.

Does Capcom just pick their target numbers out of a hat? I can't think of any reasoning behind this or the Dragon's Dogma numbers other than "x did y so we can too"!

Ahasverus

Are they comparing RE to COD? Seriously? Are those people on drugs? lol
A game can sell as far as it appeals go, Survial Horrors selling 1M+ copies are a SUCCESS, COD selling 1+M is a failure, Dead Space 2 selling 3M was INCREDIBLE, RE5 selling 6M was pure luck, because we came from 4 and we didn't know that we were going to play Resident Evil: The Paul Anderson Movie: The Game. Good luck this time Crapcom.

Also, lol at this company this gen, not a single worthy game (until now) I have faith in DD, but Captom thinks it's a Skyrim beater, the only Skyrim beater is another Elder Scroll, the only COD beater is the last COD, the only Halo beater is the next Halo, the only GTA beater is the one coming after the last. Don't fuck the fans with BS hoping your franchise will become the next big thing, if it wasn't in 15 years, it won't be now.

sleepykyo

There was nothing that scary about these games and the storyline was even worse.

I like all 3. RE5 > DS1 > DS2.

I hope the shift doesn't mean more infinite respawning enemies until you hit the objective sections.

consoul

We find ourselves at a point where Call of Duty has zombies and Resident Evil has none.

The end is near gentlemen.

Punching zombies in the face in RE5 was hilarious. Coop removed all tension. DS games have actual scares, like that goddamn
alarm clock
in DS2.

Top Bottom