• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom sales data as of 12/31/08 (3rd Quarter Results)

cvxfreak

Changes since last report:

11. Resident Evil 4 (PlayStation 2) - 2,100,000 (up from 2,050,000)
22. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition - 1,500,000 (up from 1,400,000)
25. Dead Rising (Xbox 360) - 1,450,000 (up from 1,400,000)

Notes:

1. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G didn't record a rise because the PSP The Best version is technically a separate SKU.

2. Resident Evil 4 all-inclusive total now stands at 5,200,000.

3. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is now tied with Lost Planet at 1.5 Million apiece, and is only 100K behind the GameCube version.

Capcom also reported their financials today. They considered their earnings sluggish:

Net Earnings: 47,223 million yen (down 8.6% from one year ago, same period)
Operating Income: 2,610 million (down 52.7% from one year ago)
Ordinary Income: 2,107 million yen (down 67.7% from one year ago)
Net Income: 179 million yen (down 95.0% from one year ago)

Capcom blames slacking arcade performance and the lack of flagship games (aka RE5 and SFIV) for the quarter.

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP The Best) had healthy growth. GTAIV (PS3/360), and surprisingly, Mega Man Star Force 3 both met expectations.

CTLance

Man, if I ever have a business of my own I hope I'll get an insane moneymaker like RE4. I mean, that game has been re-released ad nauseam with only miniscule changes on seemingly every platform ever. Pure Nintendo-like moneyprinting.

Still, a 95% decrease in income would scare the bejeezus out of me. That's one scary change in momentum.

RE4: Wii Edition is just insane. 1 and half million. :eek:

We're talking about a last-gen game that was already playable on the damn thing!

An exclusive RE game for in the vein of RE4 for Wii could do wonders for Capcom.

Jonnyram

RE4 Wii is Capcom on cruise control. Glad it's bringing in some cash for them, and I'm not adverse to them milking stuff like this as long as they keep pumping out original stuff too.

Meanwhile, I'm damned impressed at how well Dead Rising and Lost Planet have done in the long run. Both deserve the sequels they'll be getting, and if they're multi-platform, they should both pass 2 million easily.

_Alkaline_ said:
RE4: Wii Edition is just insane. 1 and half million. :eek:

We're talking about a last-gen game that was already playable on the damn thing!

An exclusive RE game for in the vein of RE4 for Wii could do wonders for Capcom.
waggle baby

Enk

makes good threads.
I'm curious on how well their online games like Bionic Commando and Mega Man 9 aredoing? Have they released any figures on those?

cvxfreak

titiklabingapat said:
I expect them to announce RE5: The Island Chronicles exclusive for the Wii at this year's E3.

They could always announce Resident Evil: The Tricell Chronicles. :lol

Neo C. said:
Where's your happy girl?

2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
titiklabingapat said:
I expect them to announce RE5: The Island Chronicles exclusive for the Wii at this year's E3.

Bah, forget that.

I want a Resident Evil game built from the ground up on the Wii.

RE4 is a sexy looking game, I can't imagine how a game would look like if it was built from the ground up on the Wii with insanely high production values.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Bah, forget that.

I want a Resident Evil game built from the ground up on the Wii.

RE4 is a sexy looking game, I can't imagine how a game would look like if it was built from the ground up on the Wii with insanely high production values.
That's what Island Chronicles is! Instead of Africa, they are in Madagascar or something.

Hcoregamer00

titiklabingapat said:
That's what Island Chronicles is! Instead of Africa, they are in Madagascar or something.

:lol :lol

Madagascar?

If they want a new locale, why don't they try China or Japan?

cvxfreak

Capcom's sales expectations for their next three major games:

Resident Evil 5: 3,250,000
Street Fighter IV: 1,700,000
Dead Rising: Chop 'Till You Drop: 500,000

I think this is unchanged from before.

Hcoregamer00

cvxfreak said:
Capcom's sales expectations for their next three major games:

Resident Evil 5: 3,250,000
Street Fighter IV: 1,700,000
Dead Rising: Chop 'Till You Drop: 500,000

I think this is unchanged from before.

A completely uneducated prediction from me, but I think that RE5 and SF4 will surpass sales expectations and Dead Rising will disappoint on the sales front.

Hcoregamer00

cvxfreak said:
Capcom also updated their series total sales units:

img_salesdata_series_11.jpg
img_salesdata_series_04.jpg
img_salesdata_series_09.jpg

img_salesdata_series_07.jpg
img_salesdata_series_08.jpg
img_salesdata_series_06.jpg

img_salesdata_series_12.jpg
img_salesdata_series_14.jpg
img_salesdata_series_15.jpg

What the hell?

They made 10 basara games, and we only got one????

:(

Edit: Go Ace Attorney :D

Edit 2: Oh the titles seem to count mutiple SKU's....boo.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Firestorm said:
123 Mega Man games.

That includes things like Greatest Hits releases, rereleases, remakes, mutiple SKUs (StarForce), etc.

But yeah, Mega Man does still hold the record for most video game appearances.

cvxfreak

ZealousD said:
That includes things like Greatest Hits releases, rereleases, remakes, mutiple SKUs (StarForce), etc.

But yeah, Mega Man does still hold the record for most video game appearances.

I dunno, I'm thinking Mario could be up there too...

The Mario Party series alone is a pretty considerable chunk. :lol

cvxfreak said:
1. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G didn't record a rise because the PSP The Best version is technically a separate SKU.
That's quite bullshit from Capcom.

They are counting every re-release on all those other games, or does anyone here think they shipped 50k of the original RE4 PS2 version and not from the different The Best!, Platinum and Greatest Hits re-releases. They even count PS3+360 for DMC4.

They also have MHP at over a million and it only did that with 2 re-releases. Same with MHP2 at over 2m, only got there through The Best! re-release.

Rlan

Hmm, absolutely no mention of Digital Download games? Bionic Commando Reamed, Mega Man 9 and Street Fighter II HD Remix should have got a mention.

markatisu

They might be able to hit their 500k expectation just in the US for Dead Rising Wii, we will have to wait and see since its is definitely no RE4 Wii in terms of quality (from what we have seen)

I played some RE4 Wii last night, it deserves every single one of its sales on Wii

500k is fast becoming an easily achievable feat for Wii games

Spiegel

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

They are counting every re-release on all those other games, or does anyone here think they shipped 50k of the original RE4 PS2 version and not from the different The Best!, Platinum and Greatest Hits re-releases. They even count PS3+360 for DMC4.

They also have MHP at over a million and it only did that with 2 re-releases. Same with MHP2 at over 2m, only got there through The Best! re-release.

Yeah, wtf Capcom?

MHF2G should be the 5th best selling Capcom game (individual SKU) ever by now. That's quite an accomplishement for a Japan centric game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
markatisu said:
They might be able to hit their 500k expectation just in the US for Dead Rising Wii, we will have to wait and see since its is definitely no RE4 Wii in terms of quality (from what we have seen)

I played some RE4 Wii last night, it deserves every single one of its sales on Wii

500k is fast becoming an easily achievable feat for Wii games
Not sure about that. The game is surrounded by skepticism. It might still surpass their expectations, but it's not such a safe bet.

cvxfreak said:
Gyakuten Kenji, coming right up. (5/23 I believe)
Not soon enough.

FrankT

I wonder how in the end RE5 will compare overall to RE4. Has Capcom provided any estimates yet as to how they see it performing?

This should be one heck of a quarter for them.

markatisu

Jocchan said:
Not sure about that. The game is surrounded by skepticism. It might still surpass their expectations, but it's not such a safe bet.

Thats what the word "might" was put in my statement for :lol

Capcom has always lowballed their Wii expectations (RE:UC was originally expected to sell 600k and RE4 Wii was looked to possibly get 400k)

Plus negative word of mouth really does not hurt Wii games (see Wii Music, Sonic Unleashed, and a host of other shovelware)

We will just have to see how it does, for all we know it could get basically no advertising and just be another game on the shelf.

But it is budget priced, it is aimed at a segment of the Wii population that does not have much in the way or survival horror, and it is based on the RE4 Engine.

soldat7

Jtyettis said:
I wonder how in the end RE5 will compare overall to RE4. Has Capcom provided any estimates yet as to how they see it performing?

I'm sure RE5 sales will be much more front-loaded and not have as long of a tail as RE4. And sometime down the line RE5 will come to the Wii in some form.

The RE4 Wii sales are aided by the fact that the game is only 20 bucks as well. Plus there aren't a ton of mature shooters on the system so it stands out a bit more. I need to try it out again; I'm having a hard time after Dead Space, even with the Wii controls.

Jocchan said:

Not soon enough.

500k worldwide is pretty much a shoe-in, usa alone might be more difficult but still achievable, wii games are starting to do those numbers left right and center, even crap ones, even a niche port of niche game like okami did 300k and i'd be shocked if dead rising didnt do a lot more than that

Johann

Jtyettis said:

IIRC, Capcom expect the game to sell a hefty (but manageable) 2.3 million worldwide.

markatisu

soldat7 said:
The RE4 Wii sales are aided by the fact that the game is only 20 bucks as well. Plus there aren't a ton of mature shooters on the system so it stands out a bit more. I need to try it out again; I'm having a hard time after Dead Space, even with the Wii controls.

RE4 Wii was $30 when it made a majority of that 1.5m in sales, it did not drop to $19.99 till the last half of the year

Even so, RE4 Wii would have sold regardless of it being budget priced (just as it sold well on the GCN and on the PS2)

RE:UC was $49 (I think it still is in the US at least) when it sold more than 500k

Johann said:
IIRC, Capcom expect the game to sell a hefty (but manageable) 2.3 million worldwide.

further up the thread it says 3.2 million, got a feeling it "might" struggle to hit that and i'd be surprised if either version individually sold much more than re4wii

Not surprised with the drop being that there biggest hits released were downloadable titles. SFIV and Resident Evil 5 should definitely raise the bar.

Spiegel

frankie_baby said:
further up the thread it says 3.2 million, got a feeling it "might" struggle to hit that and i'd be surprised if either version individually sold much more than re4wii

DMC4 shipped 2.35 million between PS3/360. The Resident Evil saga is bigger so it should sell more than that.

cvxfreak

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I completely agree with this point and was very disappointed when I saw the number being the same.

FrankT

Spiegel said:
DMC4 shipped 2.35 million between PS3/360. The Resident Evil saga is bigger so it should sell more than that.

Indeed, I see it being bigger than that. The only thing I wonder is how much the demo has had a backlash among real consumers. Time will tell I suppose. I love the demo and have played it so so many times now, but a lot of people here anyways cannot get past the controls. While GAF rarely reflects the real world I still wonder what kind of impact the demo will have. The co-op for me is just so addicting. If this rates high with reviewers and gets good word of mouth on Live I could see it doing beyond RE4 Wii numbers on the 360 in the US alone. Fable II/Fallout3 has done something like close to 1.1 million/1 million in the US alone in three months. Granted some of that was during holiday months (big portion in October however), but RE is much bigger franchise so we shall see.

Top Bottom