• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Says The Gap Between PC and Console Sales Is Shrinking

mejin

That quote means absolutely nothing if we don't know exact numbers.

But it's expected when we talk about multiplatforms.

Consoles softwares sales were 3 manufacturers before (Sony, Nintendo and MS). Nintendo jumped out with a different approach. Sony and MS continued to push sales for softwares. Now, we have gamepass and MS is also not contributing much with sales. So, it's only Playstation now.

Larvana

As expected. When you can get all games on one platform, people will flock that platform.

Sony should really rethink its pc strategy. They are helping building a monster. A defacto standard for gaming.

With steam deck, and valves inevitable future console-pc projects. I can really see traditional consoles becoming a thing of the past.
Sony are going to be placing most if not all exclusives on PC, it's been heavily implied multiple times now.

I don't believe the rumor about nvidia and amd next gpus targeting new class of tiers, that doesn't make any sense, devs will still target flagship gpus , they aren't just made for fps and resolution , I'm not being opinionated here , this's just a pure facts.

Kerotan

Once Microtransactions completely take over. PC will be king. Sony will slowly try to grow bigger than AAA games. They are looking at Tencent free-to-play kingdom and are going to want a piece. They are smelling the gamepass nonsense. And will make waste-your-time games to fill up PSNow. RPGs,Gaas, mobas, etc. 90 million games that take 15 hours to beat will be a no go. 40 million 150 hour grind-a-tons only.

Covid Delta + Pro is coming anyway. So who cares.
During the PS3 gen sony tried to chase the Multiplayer boom that most were benefiting from and failed to find huge success. While everyone abandoned single player traditional games they doubled down and find their most success ever.

Who's to say they won't fail again. They are better off sticking to what they're good at with less competition in the space then ever. Obviously they'll still do Multiplayer and have found success before with titles like ghost of tsutshima legends mode or TLOU online.

Even though I got both new consoles at launch I would bet I've bought more PC games this year than I have ever done before.

Almost everything comes out at launch on PC for sometimes half the price and typically better performance and IQ. Add mods and baby, you got a stew going.

A.Romero

Even though I got both new consoles at launch I would bet I've bought more PC games this year than I have ever done before.

Almost everything comes out at launch on PC for sometimes half the price and typically better performance and IQ. Add mods and baby, you got a stew going.

Don't forget it practically guarantees backwards compatibility for the foreseeable future or at least for longer than the usual console gen life. This is changing with GaaS but still.

Many xbox gamers have migrated to PC, that's why.

The console shrinkage was affected by xbox shrinkage. PC increase was affected by xbox gamers going PC.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
As expected. When you can get all games on one platform, people will flock that platform.

Sony should really rethink its pc strategy. They are helping building a monster. A defacto standard for gaming.

With steam deck, and valves inevitable future console-pc projects. I can really see traditional consoles becoming a thing of the past.

Happy Danny Glover GIF by Regal

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Xbox users like action games, shooters, WRPGs, etc. Not visual novels.

But that bit of context is lost on Twitter console warriors.
It's not that.
I think xbox users are more casual and just got used to having games in gamepass.

Evilms

Banned
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy

Switch : 462 395
PC : 245 339
PS4 : 103 235
Xbox : 4 821

not even 5k it's terrible

IvVwu8c.png

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I'm glad to see more Capcom games on Steam. I was shocked that Monster Hunter World came to Steam. I never thought that would leave the console. I was also shocked to see GNG Resurrection, and Capcom Arcade Stadium show up recently as well. It's a welcome sign for PC gamers.

I am not into Monster Hunter, but it's good to see less popular games from Capcom show up on PC too, as I'm a big fan of both Ghosts N Goblins and their arcade classics. Even though Arcade Classics is getting review bombed, because you can't buy individual games a la carte, it's good that their full Catalog of games are made available on PC as well. They need to listen to feedback from PC gamers and improve or suffer the consequences.

Having said that I have to rip them and a new one for some things. The recent crap that pulled with DRM and performance issues on RE8 is inexcusable! They only fixed it because they got caught off guard by community hackers doing their job for them. Wake up Capcom! You must never pull a stunt like this again. Once you lose a PC gamers goodwill it's hard to earn that trust back.

I'm still waiting on RE 7 VR Capcom. I don't care if the port is late just bring it someday.

Hey Capcom, I'm also, waiting on you to fix your broken but excellent game...Bionic Commando Rearmed on Steam.
(Yes, by a defunct dev, but Capcom you could find a way to fix it)

Too many PC games get left for dead on the PC platform where devs are either too lazy, or penny pinching so much, that they won't be bothered to update games that need fixed, or leave them to die, or just leave them outright broken.

When developing games on PC , developers need to realize that it's not a one time release where you leave it to die. Good PC developers put in functionality or options that plays to the PC's strength, and they sure as hell don't leave games to die. Capcom hopefully gets better at this and since the release of Monster Hunter on PC there are signs that they want to do PC games right. Let's hope they continue to improve.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
It's not that.
I think xbox users are more casual and just got used to having games in gamepass.
It's also that Ace Attorney is basically the definition of a niche game, all you do is tons of reading with point and click gameplay and cutscenes that are basically still images. The demographic for this type is game is very low on xbox, regardless of gamepass. It's also really not that big overall.

I like Ace Attorney and beat a few of them, but it's just the way it is.

sunnysideup

Banned
Pc
It's also that Ace Attorney is basically the definition of a niche game, all you do is tons of reading with point and click gameplay and cutscenes that are basically still images. The demographic for this type is game is very low on xbox, regardless of gamepass. It's also really not that big overall.

I like Ace Attorney and beat a few of them, but it's just the way it is.
its going to sell 1 million units in the end.

Not a hot look for xbox.

Amiga

PC gaming is one decent Steam machine away from a console like market takeover. Linux OS and gaming will also become mainstream when that happens. Valve can start with taking the same Steam Deck specs and offer them at a sub $300 price on a screen less console that can run at maximum clocks. they can't compete with Xbox/PS on price per-spec. but they can offer the open PC platform and cheap starting point on Linux.

PC gaming is one decent Steam machine away from a console like market takeover. Linux OS and gaming will also become mainstream when that happens. Valve can start with taking the same Steam Deck specs and offer them at a sub $300 price on a screen less console that can run at maximum clocks. they can't compete with Xbox/PS on price per-spec. but they can offer the open PC platform and cheap starting point on Linux.

I'd be down with that.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I'm glad to see more Capcom games on Steam. I was shocked that Monster Hunter World came to Steam. I never thought that would leave the console. I was also shocked to see GNG Resurrection, and Capcom Arcade Stadium show up recently as well. It's a welcome sign for PC gamers.
Capcom is 100% in on PC gaming, they've been developing pc first since 2006 (this means no ports), joined the 'pc gaming alliance' in 2009, and have been putting more and more of their smaller/niche titles day-and-date on pc as well.
MHW was the perfect entry for them to introduce to the pc masses, it's by far the most accessible MH yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom