• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "Street Fighter V will probably take until 2018 to come out"

I don't get the complaints. They're not done with IV yet. What's wrong with them continuing to improve IV? Not all games need to be on the same timeline as Call of Duty or God of War.
Instead of selling a rushed sequel every year that is similar they sell us the same game every year

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Alot of time to work on my Juri. and probably Elena once Ultra comes out.

Hope they don't just leave it at Ultra for that period of time though.

I don't get the complaints. They're not done with IV yet. What's wrong with them continuing to improve IV? Not all games need to be on the same timeline as Call of Duty or God of War.

People really want an excuse to spend 500+ dollars on a new system at launch

Like desperately want one.

I think there might be something in-between annualized sequels and taking 10 years to release a new game.

imagine if Square would have said this about FFvsXIII back in 2006.

"Might as well be patient, because it's not gonna release until 2014 at the earliest."

I imagine responses would have been "LUL WUT" and "So basically expect the game to release by 2010?"

:(

Dr. Kaos

Banned
NO!
BAD CAPCOM!
NO!

/hits capcom with newspaper.

Five years between numbered sequels is the sweet spot. One main game, one update, then start working on a sequel while a smaller team keeps updating the game.

I really wish someone would release worthy rival to Street Fighter, to get capcom moving. As it is, SF4 is the best and they know it so they're resting on their laurels and cashing in on existing assets.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If by 2018 they'll be willing to develop all new assets and on a new engine for new platforms on top of an arcade release I'm fine with it.

I'd much rather them do that than to go budget with it and continue to use SF4 assets. No way they're just going to throw all that work away after only 5 years

farisr

4 versions of the game (each one costing money), with minor improvements, to come out within 5 years, isn't like Call of Duty at all.

Asking for development to start on a brand new entry into the series and wanting it to release by 2015/2016 or so (a total of 6-7 years after the last new entry) with significant changes at this point in time is asking for the series to turn into Call of Duty. Yup, that's it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Bullshit. They just want people to buy USFIV.

It's a good idea to wait. I love SF4, but i'm not sure if I really even want SFV. I'm trying to think about what I would even want to see... and I cant' think of anything. By the time 2018 comes around, I'll be foaming at the mouth to buy it. But right now, I wouldn't. So, it's a good idea to wait IMO.

Please, no free to play, though.

Minyobi

I'm not taking that seriously.
It is just too ridiculous.

No doubt the game is in some form of production as we speak.

Maybe Capcom is just way worse off than I thought, but it blows my mind that WB games gives NRS a new game every two years, yet Capcom wants to wait 10 years between SF titles because they can't afford it.

Im sure Street Fighter sold just as well as MK and Injustice. Makes me wonder why they can't justify a sequel yet when NRS is already working on MK 10.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
2018? I'll be 29 and probably have a kid or something by then.

I'll be 28 and don't plan on it. :\

If anything I'd probably have the money to be able to travel a bit for games by then. Right now I'm too broke and busy.

Tripon

If anything, this news will stop me from buying Ultra SFIV. I bought Vanilla SF4 used, bought Super SF4 new, and skipped Super SF4: Arcade Edition, and thought about picking up Ultra SF4 because of free DLC costumes.

But hearing that SF5 won't come for years means that Capcom will likely refine and keep on making new editions for SF4. And frankly, while I love the series, I can wait until Capcom finally stops and releases Super Street Fighter 4: Hyper Fighting 20th Anniversary Legendary Co-Op Dream Match x Tekken x SNK x All-Capcom edition, and that will be the last one released.

Sigh, even in the era of DLC, Capcom is absurdly retro with their re-releases of SF4.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If anything, this news will stop me from buying Ultra SFIV. I bought Vanilla SF4 used, bought Super SF4 new, and skipped Super SF4: Arcade Edition, and thought about picking up Ultra SF4 because of free DLC costumes.

But hearing that SF5 won't come for years means that Capcom will likely refine and keep on making new editions for SF4. And frankly, while I love the series, I can wait until Capcom finally stops and releases Super Street Fighter 4: Hyper Fighting 20th Anniversary Legendary Co-Op Dream Match x Tekken x SNK x All-Capcom edition, and that will be the last one released.

Sigh, even in the era of DLC, Capcom is absurdly retro with their re-releases of SF4.
You skipped out on a 15 dollar expansion that lasted 2 years? Shame on capcom for updating their game for a low price

farisr

Though I hate their re-releases. No, they really aren't.

Since you have Super, you could've bought Arcade Edition as a DLC expansion to the game for $15. And now, you can even upgrade directly to Ultra from Super for $15 (and you'll get all the Arcade edition stuff you skipped out on)

I'd say that's actually not retro at all.

As long as this doesn't mean we wouldn't get say...Street Fighter Alpha 4, or Capcom VS SNK 3 or something like that to make sure there are titles worth a damn while we wait for SF5, it's all good.

That's standard operating procedure since the 90s. I'm not surprised they threw that number out there. In the interim, there obviously will be iterations and other games that are not SFV. Remember Tekken vs. SF has to come out in the next few years or so and they don't want those games to overlap I would presume.... right?

Top Bottom