• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "Street Fighter V will probably take until 2018 to come out"

Better enjoy that SFIV for the next 5 years.

“Game development is a long and arduous process,” he continued. “If you look at the history of the series, it took six years to go from Street Fighter II to Street Fighter III, and nine years to go from Street Fighter III to Street Fighter IV. Purely based on that it would probably take us until the year 2018 before Street Fighter V comes out. So I hope everyone will play Ultra Street Fighter IV for a long time.”

VG247 in an interview with producer Tomoaki Ayano.

Ferrio

Banned
Capcom: HAHAHAAHHAHAHAH

They think there's some cooldown timer they have to satisfy before they start working on it or something?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
But they will happily sell 6 super turbo hyperfighting ultra editions in the interim.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sounds about right, I'm looking forward to USF4 and GGXXrd shall fill in that new 2d fighter spot for people ;)

Capcom: HAHAHAAHHAHAHAH

They think there's some cooldown timer they have to satisfy before they start working on it or something?
Profit from long term sells. Expect a ps4/xb1 port of USF4

Skilletor

That logic ignores the fact that Capcom had multiple fighters come out between numbered SF iterations. Since Capcom probably won't be making any other fighters, I don't see why Dimps would take so long to get SF5 done.

Paskil

Best prepare yourself for Ultra Street Fighter IV Ultra Turbo Ultimate Ultra SE Hyper Ultra Mega Deluxe Ultra Edition in 2015. Now with All previous DLC included.

Gartooth

10 whole years, goddamn Capcom what are you doing? You bring back fighters, support for a few years, and then bail out? Thankfully there have been enough new fighters this generation to last the community a while but it's still insane.

Ferrio

Banned
Best prepare yourself for Ultra Street Fighter IV Ultra Turbo Ultimate Ultra SE Hyper Ultra Mega Deluxe Ultra Edition in 2015. Now with All previous DLC included.

Still better than what Marvel is getting.

So I think I figured out Capcom's plan on the genre. They create it/revitalize it then run it into the ground and wait until it dies before repeating it again.

orioto

Good Art™
This is bullshit. They revived the genre and they let it die again, rather than assuring they could have a nice sequel while the brand was still hot..

Just reskin the thing, change the art direction, add some characters, damm it!

Bad idea. I know street fighter is timeless but they should want to get their game out as soon as possible on next gen systems so people don't move on.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Bad idea. I know street fighter is timeless but they should want to get their game out as soon as possible on next gen systems so people don't move on.
People wont move on, they will jump back on after a hiatus :p At least that's how it normally works out. Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Ploid 3.0

SF4 has to come out on the next gen consoles first, then they have to put out Ultra SF4 turbo, then super ultra sf4 turbo. SF4 has a ton of life left in it for capcom. :\

Mr. X

SF2 92 SF3 98

They were going by the first iteration and ignored Alpha.

Regardless, they won't wait til 2018. 2016 is my guess for something SF5 or a nonSF4 title.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I don't give a fuck if we get a new Rival Schools in the meantime.

tumblr_mnf6ngkxH21rwcqsjo1_250.gif

Probably what will happen to us by the time SF V is released

If Capcom is still alive by then

stn

Assuming SF5 releases in 2018 like the article says, that means work will start probably next year.

Raide

Makes sense that they need to wait for the Wii-U to get to 3 million units. It will be worth bringing a new game to multiple platforms.

Tenki

Well, by that time I'll have bought a new PC. Now I can still play SSFIV: AE with my old shitty computer.

farisr

I expect one by 2016 at the latest. Of course he wants to push sales for Ultra Street Fighter IV, it would be stupid not to.

Saying "hey guys, we're working on Street Fighter V and it'll be out in the next 2-3 years" would be like saying "hey guys, don't buy this next product that we have lined up for release that's just an enhancement of a game you've been playing for 4 years when a truly new entry into the series is on the horizon."

tranciful

I don't get the complaints. They're not done with IV yet. What's wrong with them continuing to improve IV? Not all games need to be on the same timeline as Call of Duty or God of War.

edit: though I do think they should mix up SFIV more in their iterations.

Top Bottom