• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom switching their games from "one time purchase" model to "continuous recurring revenue" model

VertigoOA

Banned
I really want to see them release versions of SFV every 6 months for 70$ a pop.

Then maybe the children will stop bitching about new characters, balances and feedback improvements to constantly developing games and their distribution model when you realize how it was. Definitely way beyond any allowance ever received as a child.

Games as service model is perfect for both street fighter and monster hunter. Don’t see the issue but feel free to keep crying.

“But fortnite is free!”

Yea, fuck that game

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So, their games will now be committed to the fate of MvC:I.

And I thought they learned something with the recent seeming-turnaround after the success of MHW.

RIP Capcom 1979-2018.

Games as service model is perfect for both street fighter and monster hunter. Don’t see the issue but feel free to keep crying.
The problem is that Capcom has absolutely no idea how to properly do it. It could be cool if they did, but they don't. It has been demonstrated over and over and over. They don't know how to build games that way, they don't know how to sell things that way, they don't have the right investment attitude as the process proceeds from the release of a game, they don't know how to listen to players to make it a responsive growth.

Their game creators have good vision of how to make fun games, but their corporate people controlling publication formats and overall creative directions are horribly out of touch and only care to mimic what they see making money for other publishers without investigating details about how those publishers are making it succeed for themselves.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Major overreactions going on here. You guys are acting like Capcom JUST invented microtransactions, dlc, season passes, etc.

Name any major publisher today who isn't attempting to make future sales off a huge AAA title after the initial purchase.

plushyp

Hug me guys. :(
I-know-that-feel.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Major overreactions going on here. You guys are acting like Capcom JUST invented microtransactions, dlc, season passes, etc.

Name any major publisher today who isn't attempting to make future sales off a huge AAA title after the initial purchase.
True, but CAPCOM doesn't have a track-record of doing it well. I think the hesitation is justified.

BibiMaghoo

Yeah, they are just following the money, the same as every company always has. Someone makes a good play of a model, and everyone else wants a piece. The games industry has changed dramatically over the years due to this very thing. They call it growth, but we call it greed.

I´m confused. I could have sworn this is exactly what they did with Street Fighter 5 and subsequently claimed they shouldn´t try in the future since that game bombed. I could understand them changing the business model to maximize gains but I feel like this strategy demonstrably hasn´t worked for them at all.

Iaterain

What works for Rockstar/Blizzard and EA, not necessarily would work for Capcom.
Capcom is overestimating itself if it thinks that it can keep players and compete with giants of the industry.

After World of Warcraft became a big hit, everyone wanted to be next big MMO. How many survived? Only World of Warcraft.

I believe It is a big mistake Capcom doing. When everyone starts charging for "gaming as a service" it will be rough competition, like a "Hunger games",
only few strongest companies will survive. The others will be absorbed or left like Telltale.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll just have to wait and see what happens honestly. Everyone has been saying this in their investor meetings, but it hasn't been the end of the world just yet.

I'm still already locked in for DMC 5 and RE2. Monster Hunter World has more free DLC than I can even keep up with.

Hopefully they don't jump the shark. They're making several of my favorite games right now.

Gander

Banned
Hold on the idea of the MMO beat em up is not a foreign one. If it can be done in the theme of Final Fight that may mean something

nkarafo

Pretty much expected this since the "digital age" started. Online gave publishers full control so now they can do shit like this. And it's going to get much worse.

I just hope Resident Evil 2 remake isn't affected by this.

Last edited:

CatCouch

Man, it really seems like there is no good news anymore. I get the impression game devs/publishers don't care about their audience much. It seems like they are fine with killing off people who followed them for the last 20 or so years so they can replace them with a new audience that's willing to send a lot more over time.

For Capcom, I think this system can work for some games like SFV. Continually getting new costumes and characters is great (as long as the art is good *looks at MVC Infinite*) but if Resident Evil games becomes services, I don't know...

I also fear this will lead to less creativity and lower the kind Japanese style fan service art I like.

SFV has been doing fine with content I like but Capcom has moved heavily into realism territory which worries me that all their games will look the same with scanned models and such. I can't recognize most RE characters now.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
My ERA post:

SFV does this the RIGHT way. The ONLY purchases that are not cosmetic in SFV are the DLC characters, which by the way most fighting games nowadays will charge you for DLC characters. Welcome to 2018. Every other update in SFV is free. Anyone who purchased the base SFV back in 2016 is enjoying the Arcade Edition package and can play online with someone who just bought the "Arcade Edition" package yesterday. This is much better than segmenting the player pool by releasing "Super Hyper Turbo Alpha" updates where some people will buy the update, and some will not, thus chopping the players in half.

Like it or not, the Street Fighter V model is a thing a beauty (much like the game), and it is here to stay because it makes sense. Arc System Works could have learned from this before they chopped up the Guilty Gear Xrd pie three different ways with -Sign-/-Revelator-/Rev 2. That's bush league thinking these days. Maybe Street Fighter could withstand that because its Street Fighter but a niche title like Guilty Gear slowly kills off its already small userbase.

Learn from CapGOD.

(I'm speaking specifically for Street Fighter and fighting games. Don't know and don't really care how this plays in to their other titles)
sf5 is fucking aids and i am glad that i sold that shit you want these fighters and costumes?
just play 4500 hours to unlock them for "free.." the FUCKING BASE GAME WAS 60 DOLLARS DAY 1

what you dont have time ? well you could always pay up.
Your post made me almost vomit in my mouth.

Take a look at MvsC2 on the dreamcast,
that is how you do a fighting game with unlockables.

well capcom learned me one thing tho.
NEVER BUY modern fighting games day 1

Last edited:

xwez

Banned
I'll be buying dmc5 once without dlc like I do for every game. Nice try.

I've never played dlc that was actually on par, quality-wise, with the base game. It always feels like it was outsourced or just a quick money grab. So same.

I've never played dlc that was actually on par, quality-wise, with the base game. It always feels like it was outsourced or just a quick money grab. So same.
Witcher 3: Blood and Whine, and Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles were really high quality, but they are the exception to the rule.

Then maybe the children will stop bitching about new characters, balances and feedback improvements to constantly developing games and their distribution model when you realize how it was. Definitely way beyond any allowance ever received as a child.

“But fortnite is free!”

Yea, fuck that game
That would be a good argument if SFV didn't take 2 years to even become a standard day 1 product, yet the OG release was 60$ anyway. Ono himself compared the initial release to Killer Instinct for inspiration, yet KI was a free download with a 20$ retail release for the basic season 1 version until the 40$ re-release. The problem with Capcom is similar to the one with EA, just no self control. I mean Tekken 7 is also doing DLC seasons instead of a "Super Tekken 7", yet it was still mostly a proper retail product (the botched arcade mode, character episodes, and scam DLC pack 1 held it back a bit). Dead or Alive 6 they're also considering a long term plan but the core package looks like it will be about on par with vanilla DOA5.

Like someone else said, the problem isn't just Capcom doing this, they don't know how to properly do it and always fuck up somehow, like they "learned" from SFV for MvCI, and we all know how that turned out. Arc System Works has a similar issue as they showed with BlazBlue CTB.

Edit: Almost forgot Asura's Wrath and Dead Rising 4, which are there SP games with DLC gone wrong for longer support. Insulting others won't make Capcom's business decisions through the years look any less worse. If they can actually learn from the Monster Hunter team for once then maybe it will be fine, but so far MH has been the exception to the rule.

Last edited:

Silent Duck

Everyone keeps saying it works for SFV.
That game is a steaming pile of wet garbage with a shitty economical system that gets shittier with every change they throw at it. For the first year, it was a barely passable alpha build. I have since deleted it from my hard drive and sent it to digital hell.
giphy.gif

If that is what Capcom considers a working model, then I’m definitely not buying anymore of their stuff.

Not crying and definitely not buying.

Petrae

Persistent revenue means a combination of post-purchase spending. You see it with Fortnite, for example, with quick seasons and new content drops. The difference, of course, is that Capcpom isn’t going the F2P route; instead, the publisher is going to try and both have its cake while eating it too.

The initial purchase is no longer enough for publishers and their greedy shareholders. It’s the money you make AFTER the initial sale that really counts, and this is the future that we’ve been barreling towards at warp speed since DLC and microtransactions became a thing. It’s the future we, as consumers, deserve since we refused to say no before it became an epidemic.

I’m ready to make the jump to retro games once the persistent revenue model takes over for good. I’ve assembled a sizable library of games already to fall back on. I don’t have to stop playing video games when the transition is complete— I’ll just tell leave modern gaming altogether and go full retro.

MiguelItUp

Wow. I almost don't even want to give DMC5 and RE2 a chance because of this.

This is making me really consider it actually...

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Wow. I almost don't even want to give DMC5 and RE2 a chance because of this.

This is making me really consider it actually...

So which publisher are you going to support? Remind me which ones don't follow this model of DLC, expansions, microtransactions after selling their full-price AAA games.

If you're going to boycott Capcom, you might as well just quit gaming altogether.

Elcid

Banned
I love this strategy especially with Street Fighter V. Thrilled to hear it. GaaS has so much more potential for more value.

Jubenhimer

Meh, I'll see where this goes. GaaS isn't bad if it's done right. But this is Capcom we're talking about here, so don't hold your breath for anything respectable.

Meesh

Soooo.... in the future we'll be subscribing to their games?? I dont like it... I already dont like Nintendos idea for their new "vc"...

Cosmogony

So which publisher are you going to support? Remind me which ones don't follow this model of DLC, expansions, microtransactions after selling their full-price AAA games.

If you're going to boycott Capcom, you might as well just quit gaming altogether.

How eles is one supposed to send the message?

Not that I would be encouraging it, but is there any real alternative for those who feel this strongly about the new direction? Is there middle ground, an effective surrogate, such as spamming Capcom's inbox with animated GIFs of cats or windmills? Hardly.

What I don't quite follow is when someone who has been enjoying the unparalleled perks of a free market economy suddenly wants to excuse gaming companies from the burdens of a free market economy.

Do people who seem to believe that it is simply a matter of saying a self-righteous No to higher profit margins, or profit altogether, ever think about the consequences? Running a business in the real world in clear and obstinate defiance of its basic rules has consequences. Consequences such as developing less ambitious games, fewer games, having less qualified developers, having to fire more than a few, having to shut down and consider a career as a dog walker in lower Manhattan.

It's that simple. Either there is demand for these online services and Capcom will happily supply and thrive accordingly and others follow suit, or there is not and Capcom will abandon the paradigm and others stop short of stepping into the abyss.

Vote with your wallet. Don't like the strategy, don't buy the games. Don't like the strategy, but still want to play the games? Buy them and have the likes of Capcom take your purchase as endorsement of their vision, despite your disgust with it. Think this is all shameless and vomit-inducing? Try investing your own savings on an independent studio and after two years of not coming nowhere close to break-even, see how your perspective might have soften, might have formed more closely around the contour of reality.

Let the market do its thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, I'll see where this goes. GaaS isn't bad if it's done right. But this is Capcom we're talking about here, so don't hold your breath for anything respectable.
Sadly a lot of devs, especially fighting game, just use GaaS as an excuse to release bare bones, sometimes unfinished, games and then add the rest of the game later, either for free or a paywall to get more money beyond the initial 60$, to give the illusion of long term support while actually just adding in the rest of the game. Nintendo did this with Splatoon 1 (which just locked out most the content to be unlocked through free patches at later dates) and Arms, and some others to a lesser extent. People are praising SFV, but it's like the definition of this, highly unfinished game that took 2 years to become a standard product, yet you either have to give Capcom more real money or grind in game money to enable access to said content, said grind made harder and harder each update just like a FTP game.

Arc System Works just withheld half the roster for BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle to be sold back for 20$ to both get the game out before Evo and to squeeze a extra 10$ out of people (and they've still have not pached in arcade mode that's on the hub yet can't be interacted with), and of course Capcom's first attempt at this with SFxT was very similar, jsut a bunch of disc locked content released in a combination of both paid and free. Final Fantasy XV was the SP version of this, Dynasty Warriors 9 too in which the season pass was just the missing weapon and NPC's that had movesets yet you couldn't actually use them.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Nintendo did this with Splatoon 1 (which just locked out most the content to be unlocked through free patches at later dates) and Arms, and some others to a lesser extent. People are praising SFV, but it's like the definition of this, highly unfinished game that took 2 years to become a standard product, yet you either have to give Capcom more real money or grind in game money to enable access to said content, said grind made harder and harder each update just like a FTP game.

Well in Nintendo's case, a lot of content from Splatoon 1 was withheld in order to prolong the game's lifespan. In any case, it wasn't a big deal since the content was still added in for free. If Nintendo charged for said content, that would be scummy, but what they did with Splatoon 1 wasn't suspicious, and it actually helped the game in the long run. Personally, I'm fine with a bare-bones game launch so long as there's content coming regularly. Mario Tennis Aces launched bare back in June, but now it's building up a respectable amount of new updates each month.

With Capcom, I'm less trusting of them than I am of someone like Nintendo because they had a nasty habit of charging for content that was already on the disc as DLC back late last gen.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

“But fortnite is free!”

Yea, fuck that game

Fuck Fortnite.

And for Capcom its better think twice... or will become the new Telltale Games Future

Outside of Resident Evil 7 which I played 2 hours of, I liked it but I just preferred Alien Isolation. I got SFIV on PSN whilst drunk, and otherwise. Its been a long time. I think maybe since Resi 4 that I purchased a Capcom game. I've never owned a subscription based game either. I wonder how this will work out for them.

Vawn

Banned
Outside of Resident Evil 7 which I played 2 hours of, I liked it but I just preferred Alien Isolation. I got SFIV on PSN whilst drunk, and otherwise. Its been a long time. I think maybe since Resi 4 that I purchased a Capcom game. I've never owned a subscription based game either. I wonder how this will work out for them.

Where does it say they are going to subscriptions?

MiguelItUp

Quit gaming altogether? I think that's a bit over dramatic... Not every publisher does this. Sure, some do. To which I'll decide if I want to support them or not. Capcom was already getting pretty crumby over the years. This approach isn't looking any better.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yep, game industry turning movie industry.
But with i think even less security for the workers.

When you watch a movie, once it starts playing, there is no further monetisation. Some publishers want the mobile gaming model of “getting the game and start playing is only the beginning... then the game starts trying to mix monetisation and addict... I mean engagement”...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think that re-reading the the thread where DMC V was revelealed as allowing users to purchase orbs with real money to get in game upgrades and reduce grind and this thread side to side does make those of us worried about micro transactions affecting gameplay by design with extra grind to nudge more and more people to spend real money to enjoy their game as they were used to more worried.

Renoir

I havent bought a game day 1 in a while.

wait a year get the game half off, with all the DLCs included
or get a game day 1 just to be part of the hype train and be able to talk about it.?
I do see how in fighting games that put you at a disadvantage. But adventure game like DMC 5... yea I can definitely wait for the bargain.

It been bad for a while now, remember the days where you could input a secret command, and you got a big head mode, or more weapons. Now you got to pay for that shit... and even worst pay for essential shit like the lvl up coins ie : red orbs

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Quit gaming altogether? I think that's a bit over dramatic... Not every publisher does this. Sure, some do. To which I'll decide if I want to support them or not. Capcom was already getting pretty crumby over the years. This approach isn't looking any better.

Which ones don't attempt to further monetize after selling a full-price game? Even Nintendo and CDPR do this now - it's the industry.

Cosmogony

Which ones don't attempt to further monetize after selling a full-price game? Even Nintendo and CDPR do this now - it's the industry.

What's objectionable about the way CDPR seeks to, the way you put it, further monetize the full-price game?

Would throwing a 40-hour piece of DLC for free appease the Gods?
But then how would they pay the expenses, those pesky wages and fixed costs? By Increasing the price of the base game, just to give the impression that, oh no, they are not doing that terrible horrible repugnant thing of charging for goods and services?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vawn

Banned
What's objectionable about the way CDPR seeks to, the way you put it, further monetize the full-price game?

Would throwing a 40-hour piece of DLC for free appease the Gods?
But then how would they pay the expenses, those pesky wages and fixed costs? By Increasing the price of the base game, just to give the impression that, oh no, they are not doing that terrible horrible repugnant thing of charging for goods and services?

I think you misunderstood my point. I have ZERO problems with CDPR. I used them as an example because they're the most fair in the business.

My point is, everyone is trying to make games people play for long periods of time and eventually put more money toward the experience.

This is all Capcom is saying to investors. Every publisher is saying the exact same thing. People are taking this out of context and acting like they're announcing monthly fees and pay-to-win microtransactions to every game they make.

Until there are actual examples of anything like this, Capcom isn't doing anything that EVERY other big publisher is doing.

If you hate this, you should be upset with the entire industry. Singling out Capcom is just ignorant.

thelawof4

For my part, I am upset about the overall trend of the entire industry. My reaction to news like this has always been:
  • Stockpile your favorite game copys and emulators of choice
  • Wait for sales (Witcher 3 was around -60% to -75% multiple times)
  • Do not support corporations whose only goal is growth, if possible
  • Support people with love and respect for games

SonGoku

Persistent revenue means a combination of post-purchase spending. You see it with Fortnite, for example, with quick seasons and new content drops. The difference, of course, is that Capcpom isn’t going the F2P route; instead, the publisher is going to try and both have its cake while eating it too.

The initial purchase is no longer enough for publishers and their greedy shareholders. It’s the money you make AFTER the initial sale that really counts, and this is the future that we’ve been barreling towards at warp speed since DLC and microtransactions became a thing. It’s the future we, as consumers, deserve since we refused to say no before it became an epidemic.

I’m ready to make the jump to retro games once the persistent revenue model takes over for good. I’ve assembled a sizable library of games already to fall back on. I don’t have to stop playing video games when the transition is complete— I’ll just tell leave modern gaming altogether and go full retro.
This is my my gripe with microtransactions, if its a goddamn full priced $60 game, mtx have no place being there
The only right way to implement microtransactions on a $60 game is by not implementing them at all
For my part, I am upset about the overall trend of the entire industry. My reaction to news like this has always been:
  • Stockpile your favorite game copys and emulators of choice
  • Wait for sales (Witcher 3 was around -60% to -75% multiple times)
  • Do not support corporations whose only goal is growth, if possible
  • Support people with love and respect for games
To add to this if the game has scummy practices
  • Buy very cheap used
  • Get from garbage bin discount for $10
  • Wait for supreme crap of the year edition and wait for it to go on a discount lol
Plenty of games to play in the meantime

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

This is true, and yes, it is standard nowadays, you are correct. However, monetization isn't handled exactly the same across the board, similar of course, but not exact. To me, it all depends on HOW it's done, which is the most important part.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
This is true, and yes, it is standard nowadays, you are correct. However, monetization isn't handled exactly the same across the board, similar of course, but not exact. To me, it all depends on HOW it's done, which is the most important part.

Fair enough, but nothing here tells me Capcom is planning anything outside of the industry norm.

If they implement pay-to-win or monthly fees for single player campaigns, I'll be upset too. They haven't said anything of the sort. All these posts saying they're boycotting Capcom, make no sense until then.

Iaterain

Some PS4 exclusives for example. To be completely honest, some of them are offering meaty DLC content but it is a fair deal.

MiguelItUp

Fair enough, but nothing here tells me Capcom is planning anything outside of the industry norm.

If they implement pay-to-win or monthly fees for single player campaigns, I'll be upset too. They haven't said anything of the sort. All these posts saying they're boycotting Capcom, make no sense until then.
I think it's more of a kneejerk reaction if anything, which in my opinion is completely understandable. We'll just have to wait and see how things pan out, if they're THAT bad, worse, or better. Only time will tell.

RE2 is the first Capcom title I've really wanted in a LONG time. It's a good feeling. So, I'm just going to hope for the best in this situation.

Virex

Banned
All these devs and publishers should just come out and say it and call their games : “Games As A Service” and get it over with

Last edited:
Top Bottom