• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom talks about new console and mobile strategy, new IP, mergers and acquisitions

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From their annual report: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/annual/2016/annual_2016_01.pdf

General:
- Capcom has added 500 new development staff since 2012, and intends to add 500 more by 2020. These are largely college grads added annually, so there's a bit of a warm up time as they learn the ropes, but we should see a major spike in their output soon.
- I covered this in the previous thread, but they're also trying to hire more diverse staff, and now have 20% women in development and an unspecified increase in international staff.
- Capcom notes "We cannot ignore genres such as shooting and strategy games with massive numbers of players when considering Consumer, Online and eSports market growth potential." I'm going to make a separate thread about this one so people can have fun speculating, but I'll include it here for posterity as well.
- Capcom talks about how they intend to dig up some of their old IPs and either reboot or re-imagine them. I'm putting this here since the later parts of this make it clear this is a split idea between both console and mobile.
- There's a lot in here about how they like to make multimedia stuff these day.
- This is a side note, but they mention the video game market (all platforms) is expected to exceed $103.2 billion in 2018, up from $68.8 billion in 2014.
- Here is what Capcom's income breakdown currently looks like by product category. To note, traditional PC games (like Dragon's Dogma on Steam) count in the console/download segment (indicated by the controller icon), whereas things like Dragon's Dogma Online are part of the PC Online segment (indicated by the monitor):

capcomincomebreakdownm9ugt.png

Capcom's Divisional Structure:
- "Division 1 creates global contents including Resident Evil."
- "Division 2 works with online games such as Street Fighter."
- "Division 3 develops contents for Japan, including Monster Hunter and Sengoku BASARA."

Console/Traditional PC Specific:
- Capcom's console game division has 1500 staff.
- 20% of Capcom's console game division is working on new IP.
- Capcom is making a third try at putting games on a 2.5 year development cycle. This time, their approach consists of having way more staff, and having a rather complex looking development structure where everyone's time is utilized more productively across various projects.
- Capcom is putting a big focus into both VR and eSports as corporate objectives. Resident Evil 7 and Street Fighter V are their two current examples for those categories, with more coming in the future.
- Capcom's current digital sales ratio is 29.8% (projected) for this year. They would like to reach 50%+ in the medium term (generally this means 3-5 years).
- Capcom hopes to make catalog sales (sales of games released in previous fiscal years) an increasingly large part of their business through long tail product support. Capcom's catalog game sales have increased from 3.9 million in 2013 to 7 million in 2016, and this represents 46.7% of their income, so the plan seems to be working.
- As might be obvious from the above notes, part of Capcom's plan to increase digital revenue and tail end sales is to run many of their games as services with a variety of post launch cosmetics, add-on content, etc. If you look at Street Fighter V, you'll get the idea. I imagine Resident Evil 7 has a season pass as well, but we'll see.
- Capcom notes "If we are unable to continue generating content qualitatively equal to global AAA titles, Capcom has no future as a company specializing in games."

Mobile/PC Online Specific:
- Capcom's mobile/PC Online department has 500 staff.
- Capcom has finished merging their mobile departments, and now their mobile games will overwhelmingly consist of games using Capcom's internal IP that target a global audience.
- The first four games made entirely under this new strategy will release next fiscal year (starting April 2017) and consist of games based on Mega Man, Monster Hunter, and Sengoku Basara. Presumably one of these brands has multiple titles. I once reported these are releasing this fiscal year. My apologies, I didn't quite understand the timeframe from the report from 3-6 months ago.
- Capcom considers Monster Hunter Explore to be a hit, but their other recent mobile games to not be hits. They are dedicated to remedying this situation.
- Toward this end, in addition to the above reforms, Capcom is looking to buy mobile developers to strengthen their mobile offerings.
- Capcom is also focusing a lot of effort into growing mobile expertise internally because they feel it's critical they have this knowledge given where the market is headed. Or, explained more easily, if they only partner with external developers, if those external developers go work with someone else instead, Capcom would be in bad shape if they didn't have internal mobile talent.
- There's a lot in here about how they intend to work with various Asian partners to expand their reach into the rest of Asia. Pretty much every Japanese third party is doing this these days.

Additional Notes:
- There's an analyst interview printed in here where an analyst asks good questions about everything Capcom is struggling with, and Capcom gives a bunch of not-amazing answers. It's kind of amazing. Of course, since this is Capcom's official report, the analyst gives a polite "Good job with your answers Capcom!" summary box, though does note that they should consider partnering with expert mobile studios to expand their mobile line-up more effectively.
- There's a bunch of developer interviews in here near the bottom. Most of them are flufff. However, in one of them, it's implied that Dragon's Dogma Online is seen as the sequel to Dragon's Dogma as done by Dragon's Dogma's development team, and they talk about their long term plans for the game, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Dragon's Dogma 2.

However, in one of them, it's implied that Dragon's Dogma Online is seen as the sequel to Dragon's Dogma as done by Dragon's Dogma's development team, and they talk about their long term plans for the game, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Dragon's Dogma 2.

And yet, some people still believe that Itsuno is not working on DMC5 lol

Loona

- Capcom talks about how they intend to dig up some of their old IPs and either reboot or re-imagine them. I'm putting this here since the later parts of this make it clear this is a split idea between both console and mobile.

I expect most to hope for Mega Man, but I'm rooting for the Armored Warriors/Cyberbots setting, since that's the same setting already presented through slightly 2 different genres, scrolling beat-em-up and 1-on-1 fighting game.

- Capcom is making a third try at putting games on a 2.5 year development cycle. This time, their approach consists of having way more staff, and having a rather complex looking development structure where everyone's time is utilized more productively across various projects.
Yeaaaaah... good luck with that.

Another premium MH on mobile would be great. Freedom Unite wasn't half bad and has sold very well from what I hear. Hopefully they ditch F2P and focus on premium for their mobile titles.

Dahbomb

CTRL + F = Devil May Cry

Garbage report/10.

Ctrl+F: Mega Man

Now I'm crying, and not joyfully.

- The first four games made entirely under this new strategy will release next fiscal year (starting April 2017) and consist of games based on Mega Man, Monster Hunter, and Sengoku Basara. Presumably one of these brands has multiple titles. I once reported these are releasing this fiscal year. My apologies, I didn't quite understand the timeframe from the report from 3-6 months ago.

You didn't actually use CTRL + F.

Oregano

Another premium MH on mobile would be great. Freedom Unite wasn't half bad and has sold very well from what I hear. Hopefully they ditch F2P and focus on premium for their mobile titles.

No one wanting to make big money on mobile is concentrating on premium.

TreIII

- Capcom considers Monster Hunter Explore to be a hit, but their other recent mobile games to not be hits. They are dedicated to remedying this situation.

Capcom, you only have yourself to blame for using the "Breath of Fire" name for a game that couldn't be any further from what fans of the franchise wanted.

All the best to you getting your shit together, Capcom. I guess I have no other choice but to wait and see what you got in store.

Most of them came out ages ago. I'm not entirely sure why Capcom waited this long, but their report was gigantic and I suspect they wanted to unveil a variety of games before release it.
That's why I asked. :)

Felt weird seeing a new one this late.

Zukkoyaki

I LOVE reading reports like this!

It sounds like Capcom knows they messed up around the end of last gen and beginning of this gen and have made a significant effort toward righting the ship back to more what they once were. As a fan of many of their franchises, this greatly excites me!

Back before E3 there was an earnings report projecting 4 million copies for Resident Evil 7 and 2 million copies for Dead Rising 4 by the end of the fiscal year. They also mention here that they're trying to establish reasonable dev-cycles and maximizing staff time. This has me optimistic that their budgets and expectations are coming down to earth.

You have my attention, Capcom. Lets see what you've got!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No one wanting to make big money on mobile is concentrating on premium.

Project Palm was premium, but it was also very obviously a game designed to train new staff and toe dip at appealing to women.

The four flagship mobile titles they refer to in the report are almost assuredly f2p.

I LOVE reading reports like this!

It sounds like Capcom knows they messed up around the end of last gen and beginning of this gen and have made a significant effort toward righting the ship back to more what they once were. As a fan of many of their franchises, this greatly excites me!

Back before E3 there was an earnings report projecting 4 million copies for Resident Evil 7 and 2 million copies for Dead Rising 4 by the end of the fiscal year. They also mention here that they're trying to establish reasonable dev-cycles and maximizing staff time. This has me optimistic that their budgets and expectations are coming down to earth.

You have my attention, Capcom. Lets see what you've got!

They messed up at the start of last gen (2005-2006), not at end.

zeromcd73

Jay: Investors consider Capcom to be a “company able to create powerful content,” but my sense is that you haven’t put out much successful new content recently despite the ongoing release of new high-performance game consoles.
lol Jay-kun going for the jugular.

Sesha

- Capcom notes "If we are unable to continue generating content qualitatively equal to global AAA titles, Capcom has no future as a company specializing in games."

These are opposing ideas. You can't make quality products without taking your time. It doesn't matter how many people you throw at it. Game development is a process. Most games don't sprout fully formed from the brains of the designer. They gradually come to be. Design concepts take time to work out, as do online functionality/features and QA.

I wish they'd stop trying to force the 2.5 year cycle. It hasn't worked with their other approaches. Why would it work now? It seems in the end they've learned nothing from SFV.

- Capcom is putting a big focus into both VR and eSports as corporate objectives. Resident Evil 7 and Street Fighter V are their two current examples for those categories, with more coming in the future.

I'd like to see them try and implement eSports into DMC. I can see like DMC Style Tournaments like snowboard, skateboard or motocross trick events.

- As might be obvious from the above notes, part of Capcom's plan to increase digital revenue and tail end sales is to run many of their games as services with a variety of post launch cosmetics, add-on content, etc. If you look at Street Fighter V, you'll get the idea. I imagine Resident Evil 7 has a season pass as well, but we'll see.

RE7 has a season pass and will be getting at least three add-on scenarios.

Some of their franchises like DMC are ripe with potential for DLC with additional scenarios, new modes, additional characters, legacy bosses, weapons, costumes, and crossovers with games like Onimusha and Sengoku Basara. Heck, maybe even crossover promos with games like Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Dark Souls/Bloodborne/The Miyazaki RPG. They'd be smart, when they announce DMC5, to put out a survey asking people what they'd be interested in seeing as DLC.

The whole interview is just amazing.

The part where he berates them for not making more use of their legacy IPs is great.

Harmen

Deep down I still believe in a new Mega Man.

Anyways, if they do mobile like Square does (good ports of classics, good puzzle spin offs, some fun new mobile titles), I think that can be a good thing. And having a large influx of (potential) new talent can lead to very good things in the future, I hope it all pays off.

Edit: wait, they mention Mega Man, I hope it is something that befits the NES classics, since I enjoyed playing those recently.

TreIII

I'd like to see them try and implement eSports into DMC. I can see like DMC Style Tournaments like snowboard, skateboard or motocross trick events.

Certainly a possibility, but I always thought that "Souls"-style social gaming was always something that would fit DMC more than a "Style" tournament that only a few would get the most out of. (In other words, hand all your money to Donguri, right now.)

Fighting with and against other people's "Dark Dantes/Vergils/Neros/etc." in a manner not unlike Nioh does it with its "Revenants" system, was something I thought would be pretty nifty. And would be a way to introduce MP into DMC, at long last.

zeromcd73

The whole interview is just amazing.
Jay-kun is awesome, Tsujimoto's answers are just fluff.

Q. Why isn't your digital distribution ratio higher?
A. Well we are gonna do this stuff that every other AAA company did years ago ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Q. With the new opportunities for Digital Distribution in South-East Asia, do you have the marketing and management skills to properly handle this?
A. All good, bro! We will just do what others are doing and will be fine.

Q. You have made fuck all games this gen for consoles. Other AAA companies figured this shit out ages ago, what about you guys?
A. We have RE Engine and will try something we tried before but failed, and not give a reason why it will work this time

Q. You have so many awesome IP, but suck ass at marketing the games or even making them exist.
A. We know, ganbarimasu!

Q. You guys suck at making mobile games btw.
A. We reshuffled some shit, all good

Q. Why not focus on making console games and license the making of mobile games out to other companies since you clearly struggle at succeeding at even one of these?
A. We can like use the skills we get from making and marketing mobile games and apply them to consoles and data and stuff lol

DrArchon

I wish they had made a note about localizing more Monster Hunter games. Stories looks great but as of right now it's still only for Japan, which is incredibly disappointing.

The 2.5 year dev cycle thing is just going to blow up in their faces again, isn't it? They're either going to delay a whole bunch of games or we'll see more SFV situations where games are being launched clearly unfinished.

Thanks for the info, Nirolak.

Personal takeaway: The whole 2.5 year cycle isn't worth it. With new IP comes new game mechanics (see Deep Down). Regarding AAA: They have to spend more money on R&D, so I can see why Capcom is planning at least 2 new games every couple of years.

Trago

2.5 year devs cycles would still be a challenge to manage, more staff or not. Don't get me wrong, it's great that they are expanding.

Sephzilla

Isn't trying to accelerate dev cycles part of what got them into a problem in the first place? Admittedly they had a very different philosophy about this previously, but I'm getting a deja vu feeling.

Sesha

Certainly a possibility, but I always thought that "Souls"-style social gaming was always something that would fit DMC more than a "Style" tournament that only a few would get the most out of. (In other words, hand all your money to Donguri, right now.)

Fighting with and against other people's "Dark Dantes/Vergils/Neros/etc." in a manner not unlike Nioh does it with its "Revenants" system, was something I thought would be pretty nifty. And would be a way to introduce MP into DMC, at long last.

Well, there's room for other things.

Maybe, but balancing would be a big concern with PvP/PvE in DMC. Stuff like projectiles and juggling would be hard to defend against for a human player.

Isn't trying to accelerate dev cycles part of what got them into a problem in the first place? Admittedly they had a very different philosophy about this previously, but I'm getting a deja vu feeling.

Yep. First they tried by outsourcing new IPs and "lesser" IPs. Examples being Dark Void and Bionic Commando.

When that failed they tried outsourcing sequels to major franchises while doing new IPs in-house, with examples being RE6 and DmC. After that failed they scaled back their overseas outsourcing and decided to focus on mostly in-house development for major titles.

Jay-kun is awesome, Tsujimoto's answers are just fluff.

"We will try harder" is such a nothing phrase. Maybe that stuff is all Japanese investors need to hear, but foreign investors can't possibly be satisfied with that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So I guess we can take from this that they are serious about keeping SFV going. Is there anything in the report that indicates how well it's doing financially?

zeromcd73

So I guess we can take from this that they are serious about keeping SFV going. Is there anything in the report that indicates how well it's doing financially?

• Consumer (Package + Digital Download Contents)
  • Monster Hunter X (Cross) surpassed initial projections to sell 3.3 million units
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2 was released last year and maintained brisk sales at 850,000 units
    [*]Street Fighter V sold 1.4 million units mainly overseas, falling short of sales projections

hire FROM software to develop an Onimusha reboot. release on all consoles.

there Capcom, I added a ton of moneis to your portfolio

Jawmuncher

Capcom talks about how they intend to dig up some of their old IPs and either reboot or re-imagine them. I'm putting this here since the later parts of this make it clear this is a split idea between both console and mobile

Come back to me Dino Crisis

A 2.5 dev cycle can be done, I feel. SFV was rushed out of the door for CPT and hitting the Quarterly. If they are open to delaying a game for quality purposes and not being stuck to the whims of things like that, they can still make quality products.

But, again, that's dependent on them sticking to that mentality of quality over speed.They should also start hitting smaller projects again. Not everything needs to be AAA in scale.

Top Bottom